[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dotson or Frank
Author Thread
technomaster
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #426
USA
11/29/2018  12:22 PM
Vmart wrote:There is no place for a team player like Frank in a team less system. This team Fiz has and is being coached is to be ball hogs. Hence no assists. What we are witnessing is a coach who has no concept of team basketball. You will not win much with Fiz.

At the moment that seems to be true. However, we're still talking about a roster that overall has weak playmaking ability. I don't think we have ANYONE on the team with above average playing ability for their positions. Seems like we're below average on that regard across the board. You can see it in our assists. Only 1 player on the roster is averaging over 3apg, and only barely so.

Our best playmakers have yet to establish themselves as legitimate players in the league. Burke has not established himself as more than a mediocre score-first PG, riddled with other deficiencies. Mudiay is similar, though he's probably worse at every attribute across the board. Our 3rd best playmaker (Ntilikina) has proven less than either of those guys offensively, though his saving grace is that he's an elite defender. It's just that he's been less than 0 on offense that he's been a net negative this year.

It's what you call a bad team. Guys like Kanter (elite scoring around the basket, rebounding), Vonleh (a bit of the same as Kanter, perhaps with average to + defense), THJr (overall more consistent scoring than ever but below average to average in every other aspect of his game but improving) kind of do their core jobs reasonably well, but they don't compensate for the lack of playmaking.

I've started thinking about what was different last year. We're definitely missing the impactful play of the broken down Jarrett Jack last year. He obviously had his limitations, but early in the season he kept the team in order and dragged us to victory. This year, we don't have a young player with that type of realized talent that just knows how to do it. It's a sad state that none of the 3 have emerged from this weak pool of competition and won the job outright. I thought it'd be Burke, but he hasn't distanced himself from the others.

What's Jeremy Lin up to these days?

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/29/2018  12:25 PM
There is politics going on. Phil players are being ostracized these are good players and Fiz is doing what Perry wants. Perry is not very good his record is atrocious with past picks. Mills needs to step in and back Phil’s boys. They are the reason for the optimism not the Perry guys.
Vmart
USA
11/29/2018  12:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/29/2018  12:33 PM
technomaster wrote:
Vmart wrote:There is no place for a team player like Frank in a team less system. This team Fiz has and is being coached is to be ball hogs. Hence no assists. What we are witnessing is a coach who has no concept of team basketball. You will not win much with Fiz.

At the moment that seems to be true. However, we're still talking about a roster that overall has weak playmaking ability. I don't think we have ANYONE on the team with above average playing ability for their positions. Seems like we're below average on that regard across the board. You can see it in our assists. Only 1 player on the roster is averaging over 3apg, and only barely so.

Our best playmakers have yet to establish themselves as legitimate players in the league. Burke has not established himself as more than a mediocre score-first PG, riddled with other deficiencies. Mudiay is similar, though he's probably worse at every attribute across the board. Our 3rd best playmaker (Ntilikina) has proven less than either of those guys offensively, though his saving grace is that he's an elite defender. It's just that he's been less than 0 on offense that he's been a net negative this year.

It's what you call a bad team. Guys like Kanter (elite scoring around the basket, rebounding), Vonleh (a bit of the same as Kanter, perhaps with average to + defense), THJr (overall more consistent scoring than ever but below average to average in every other aspect of his game but improving) kind of do their core jobs reasonably well, but they don't compensate for the lack of playmaking.

I've started thinking about what was different last year. We're definitely missing the impactful play of the broken down Jarrett Jack last year. He obviously had his limitations, but early in the season he kept the team in order and dragged us to victory. This year, we don't have a young player with that type of realized talent that just knows how to do it. It's a sad state that none of the 3 have emerged from this weak pool of competition and won the job outright. I thought it'd be Burke, but he hasn't distanced himself from the others.

This current team is horrendous at passing and it is a scheme issue. Last year Frank was a better passer he had his head up and hitting long passes. His ball moves faster than dribbling up court concepts have all be quelled. Fiz is very good this guy has no record of success other than being a towel boy for LeBron and Wade and Pat Riley. No accomplishments.

Frank needed Mark Jackson as coach not this Fiz chump.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

11/29/2018  12:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/29/2018  12:48 PM
Think we should keep both. Was not a fan of Frank as our pick. Wanted Smith Jr. Or Mitchell. However, Frank is a now the Knick and only 19 years old, No way you move on from him this early. He has shown promise and is already an NBA level defender. There is also a financial advantage in keeping and developing your drafts. As for Dotson, think he has shown that if given a chance, he can be a nice two way player.

However one cant ignore the politics of the NBA. May very well be the case that Mills will look to move one from the guys from Phil era. Its also fair to say that a new regime has the right to shape the team with the type of players they feel fit their system. Reason why I argued that Frank was indeed a Triangle pick. If its the case that they are looking to move Frank, hope that its a trade for a mid 20's proven piece. Would be a shame to trade those 2 for just another roll in the draft game.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/29/2018  12:42 PM
Marv wrote:People say frank was chosen to be a Phil "system pg" and i think that's true. And when he and kp played together in a hornacek "modified system" frank had a bunch of high-assist games along with his great D. kp also flourished.

Let's see what happens when kp returns. I think it's both up to fiz to figure out how to harness frank's strengths and leverage them and up to frank to develop approaches to his game that fiz is directing him toward. It's gotta be a hybrid effort imo.

It would be crazy to me to trade frank. For years. This is the guy to be patient on and keep working toward figuring him out. He will be an incredible asset to a team at some point. I want it to be the knicks.

Abso****inglutely! He is not an attacking score first PG but he knows how to set people up. His play with KP is beautiful to watch. He is the only plAyer who knows how to make an entry pass to a big man. We are going to need him when KP comes back.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/29/2018  12:56 PM
Same as said for Dotson. You don't trade Frank unless you are getting an equal prospect at a position of need. Or you get value you can't refuse.

I need to see what trade they are looking at to form any type of opinion. Trading him because he isn't providing immediate results has been one of this orgs flaws over the decades.

I also don't see any type of plan put in place to even attempt to develop him though. Development seems to just be based off of who can do the best as a free lancer.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Vmart
USA
11/29/2018  1:12 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:Same as said for Dotson. You don't trade Frank unless you are getting an equal prospect at a position of need. Or you get value you can't refuse.

I need to see what trade they are looking at to form any type of opinion. Trading him because he isn't providing immediate results has been one of this orgs flaws over the decades.

I also don't see any type of plan put in place to even attempt to develop him though. Development seems to just be based off of who can do the best as a free lancer.

You hit the nail on the head. There is no system it’s who can get their own. That is why Trier is doing well and not Frank. That is why Mudiay might be doing better because he doesn’t have to worry about being a PG same with Burk. But Frank is a winner he knows in the end it’s about making others better. This system doesn’t promote that.

knicks1248
Member: #582
11/29/2018  1:21 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
Marv wrote:People say frank was chosen to be a Phil "system pg" and i think that's true. And when he and kp played together in a hornacek "modified system" frank had a bunch of high-assist games along with his great D. kp also flourished.

Let's see what happens when kp returns. I think it's both up to fiz to figure out how to harness frank's strengths and leverage them and up to frank to develop approaches to his game that fiz is directing him toward. It's gotta be a hybrid effort imo.

It would be crazy to me to trade frank. For years. This is the guy to be patient on and keep working toward figuring him out. He will be an incredible asset to a team at some point. I want it to be the knicks.

Abso****inglutely! He is not an attacking score first PG but he knows how to set people up. His play with KP is beautiful to watch. He is the only plAyer who knows how to make an entry pass to a big man. We are going to need him when KP comes back.

How do you know that when mudiay/burke/trier never played with KP before?

Not saying frank isn't a use full player, but if the system he is playing in doesn't benefit his skill set, why the hell are you doing wth him. That just makes his development that much harder and his progress much slower because he has mental hurdles

We didn't we draft more players like frank, we drafted high energy fast pace athletic freaks who can run and jump out the gym.

ES
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
11/29/2018  1:30 PM
Vmart wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Same as said for Dotson. You don't trade Frank unless you are getting an equal prospect at a position of need. Or you get value you can't refuse.

You hit the nail on the head. There is no system it’s who can get their own. That is why Trier is doing well and not Frank. That is why Mudiay might be doing better because he doesn’t have to worry about being a PG same with Burk. But Frank is a winner he knows in the end it’s about making others better. This system doesn’t promote that.

Not even just Frank but, Knox and Mitch. Mitch makes plays based purely on his natural talent nothing more. Knox has struggled the same due to not being a ready made creater. Don't really see much plans for development. Trier ball out because this fits his game to a T. Now the questions n is will that translate to wins?

I always felt the combination of Frank, Dotson, KP and Mitch could prove a devestsing defensive lineup. May even add Trier in there as he provides a lot of intensity. Would like to see that lineup together getting after it first as well.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/29/2018  1:31 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

Not saying frank isn't a use full player, but if the system he is playing in doesn't benefit his skill set, why the hell are you doing wth him. That just makes his development that much harder and his progress much slower because he has mental hurdles

We didn't we draft more players like frank, we drafted high energy fast pace athletic freaks who can run and jump out the gym.

i'm not so sure it has to be so mutually exclusive. a great team can and maybe should have a diversity of player types.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

11/29/2018  1:32 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Vmart wrote:

Not even just Frank but, Knox and Mitch. Mitch makes plays based purely on his natural talent nothing more. Knox has struggled the same due to not being a ready made creater. Don't really see much plans for development. Trier ball out because this fits his game to a T. Now the questions n is will that translate to wins?

I always felt the combination of Frank, Dotson, KP and Mitch could prove a devestsing defensive lineup. May even add Trier in there as he provides a lot of intensity. Would like to see that lineup together getting after it first as well.

Agreed. Love that lineup. Especially a year from now when frank and Mitch have gone through the growing pains that could be a tough matchup for anyone
knicks1248
11/29/2018  1:42 PM
Marv wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:

i'm not so sure it has to be so mutually exclusive. a great team can and maybe should have a diversity of player types.

I agree with you, but that's not how the roster looks to me.

In fact mills stated before the draft that they wanted to get faster and more athletic, which had a lot to do with them not retaining Beasly and KOQ

ES
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

11/29/2018  2:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/29/2018  2:18 PM
If we had a play making attack point guard start level on the roster...this speculation with Frank would not exist. Someone posted the scouting report on Frank during the draft process...it said that he was several years away and would benefit from a system a culture that was patient(ala San Antonio). This place has been a dumpster fire for years and Jeff did the Frenchman no solids with the way he played him...When I look at Frank I see it all being confidence...he is not the most athletic, does not have that burst on his first step....but there are many players like that and they find ways to score and finish....I believe Frank is truly learning the nuances of not just ssoring in the NBA game...but the scoring in any game itself....I hope Fiz is in his ear telling him we will believe in you...because I see all this speculation killing his confidence even more....when he is on the court his teammates do not even look for him because a) he is slumping and b) he is not scream give me the fing ball.

I truly believe that if Frank gets moved depending on the situation he would flourish... particularly a winning situation....Frank brings intangibles that are not evident when you are down by 25 or if you are losing 6 straight...he can be a great asset for any team if developed properly....a lot of this stuff is in his head. You can tell because he does not even look like the same player a month ago....no one forgets how to play...this is a confidence thing

Also as well as Mudiay is playing...I would not give him a deal longer than 2 years...a prove it deal 1 guaranteed + 1 team opt.

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
11/29/2018  3:05 PM
it would be dumb for the front office to be out on frank.

it would be even dumber for them to say such thing to media members.

i kind of don't believe vernon, or at least i don't trust his interpretation.

i highgly doubt they said they are out on frank or done with him. they may have expressed frustration, sure.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/29/2018  4:11 PM
Both guys are cost controlled players. There isn't a reason to get rid of either guy unless a team makes an amazing offer that can't be refused. This team is more than one piece away from being good.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/29/2018  4:19 PM
Vmart wrote:
technomaster wrote:

This current team is horrendous at passing and it is a scheme issue. Last year Frank was a better passer he had his head up and hitting long passes. His ball moves faster than dribbling up court concepts have all be quelled. Fiz is very good this guy has no record of success other than being a towel boy for LeBron and Wade and Pat Riley. No accomplishments.

Frank needed Mark Jackson as coach not this Fiz chump.

The offense has looked really bad but Frank was not this great orchestrator last year. The ball moved out of his hands when he crossed half court and he ran to the corner and stood. At least this year Frank is going to the ball on offense when he should be. I don't want the Knicks to trade Frank but I don't see any anti Phil faction trying to push him out. Maybe there is a realization that he is better suited for a different role on offense at this time. I think you can make a case for Dotson not being treated fairly in terms of minutes and position in the rotation. You lose me when you praise Frank's point guard play last year.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
blkexec
Member: #748
11/29/2018  4:22 PM

That's an extreme over blown statement.

He coached 3 NBA teams....1 as an assistant in Miami. He also was a PG in college. I understand if you don't like the guy, but he clearly understands the fundamentals of team basketball.

What we are seeing is that we don't have players with a high skill set to create for others. That's a reflection on the team dynamics, not the coach.

Frank is an unselfish passing guard....Probably the only one on the team. But he continues to get pressured into being more selfish. Trier on the other hand, is more advanced than Frank on offense, because Trier's playing style is iso ball....Put Trier on a system type team, he will not look good.

Frank probably has more value now than what he will have in the future.

I'm on record saying we missed on Dennis Smith Jr....Similar to Trier, he's the type of selfish guard NYer's appreciate. Frank is more old school unselfish type, which is not todays NBA. But Franks game style fits the current Euro league games. They play more system ball and less Iso Ball.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

11/29/2018  4:40 PM
blkexec wrote:

He coached 3 NBA teams....1 as an assistant in Miami. He also was a PG in college. I understand if you don't like the guy, but he clearly understands the fundamentals of team basketball.

What we are seeing is that we don't have players with a high skill set to create for others. That's a reflection on the team dynamics, not the coach.

Frank is an unselfish passing guard....Probably the only one on the team. But he continues to get pressured into being more selfish. Trier on the other hand, is more advanced than Frank on offense, because Trier's playing style is iso ball....Put Trier on a system type team, he will not look good.

I'm on record saying we missed on Dennis Smith Jr....Similar to Trier, he's the type of selfish guard NYer's appreciate. Frank is more old school unselfish type, which is not todays NBA. But Franks game style fits the current Euro league games. They play more system ball and less Iso Ball.

honestly I was never a dennis smith fan. The fact that we got Trier makes it a non issue. Id rather have Trier and Frank
knicks1248
11/29/2018  4:50 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Both guys are cost controlled players. There isn't a reason to get rid of either guy unless a team makes an amazing offer that can't be refused. This team is more than one piece away from being good.

That maybe true but your hanging on to a kid that wont be ready to truly contribute for 3 to 4 yrs. and that's a "BIG IF".

We have been bottom feeders for the last 5/6 yrs, should we just stay like that for another 5 just to save a buck or 2

Cost control??? I could name 20 players off the top of my head that make way less then frank and contribute way more, Dotson is a different story because he was in the 2nd rounder.

ES
blkexec
Member: #748
11/29/2018  4:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/29/2018  5:07 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
blkexec wrote:

honestly I was never a dennis smith fan. The fact that we got Trier makes it a non issue. Id rather have Trier and Frank

Dennis Smith may not be a winner right now....He probably doesn't make his players better YET.

But his natural scoring abilities (just like Trier) would've had the Garden rocking. We would probably lose the same amount of games, but at least you will be entertained.

BTW....I live in Dallas, so I see and hear all the Dennis Smith talks. And every highlight play, I'm thinking man, the Garden fans would've loved him. Just like Trier is starting to grow on everybody. But are scoring guards. Smith is a few inches smaller than Trier, but jumps a few inches higher.

Frank is not even in the same ball park, on offense. And the way the game is going, with the rule changes....The value of defensive players are slowly dropping. Offense is starting to take over. That's why it's now ok to take 3 steps on layups....It's ok to jump, then land, then shoot and get an And-1 call. You breath on somebody, it's a foul.

It's unfortunate, but Frank came to NY a decade too late. He would've been the perfect backup PG (backing up Charlie Ward) back in the day, when centers ruled the NBA. Now its the guard play! And that's where Frank is behind the curve(right now). The rules don't allow him to be a lock down defender like we thought he could be.

It's a gamble to trade Frank, but now is the best time to do it, while his potential is still there. I just have a feeling he's going to be a similar player 5 years from now, if he stays in this system. Frank needs the Spurs system and coach to flourish.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Dotson or Frank

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy