[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We need a playmaker badly
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
11/28/2018  9:24 PM
Either a PG or playmaking wing. Trier has been a pleasant surprise but obviously isn’t a lead guard for more than a few stretches. A true playmaker gets Knox easy baskets to get him some confidence and gets guys like Mitch and Vonleh easy finishes. Otherwise we get stuck just passing the ball around and settling for contested mid range jumpers. It’s embarrassing. I don’t blame Fiz. The personnel just isn’t there at the most important position. Mudiay and Burke just create for themselves and settle for tough shots. Hardaway just takes contested shots. This team gets absolutely no easy baskets. I don’t care if we miss out on the top guys next summer and have to overpay a 2nd tier PG. we need to open up the game for guys like KP, knox, Robinson, hardaway etc and get a guard that can get into the teeth of the defense and get these guys easy shots. Pay Rubio, bledsoe, or whomever else. We can’t continue to function without quality playmaking.
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/28/2018  10:55 PM
We have seen every configuration play both good and bad.
I can’t pretend to know how to fix this let alone do anything but state the obvious.
Knixkik
USA
11/28/2018  10:59 PM
Nalod wrote:We have seen every configuration play both good and bad.
I can’t pretend to know how to fix this let alone do anything but state the obvious.

Obviously there is no one fix, but the biggest gap is at the PG position. We need someone who can effectively run an offense and make other players better. We see it even with McConnell tonight and Ish Smith last night as backups. Pure PGs who push the pace and get others easy baskets. We need to address this for next year. Our best scorers will be KP, Hardaway, Knox, and Trier. We can't just rely on them to create their own shots constantly. It's too much effort. They need to get open shots and easy baskets off of dribble penetration and P&R plays. We might have to overpay for a PG, but it's worth it in today's game. It will change everything for this offense.

ankurk
Member: #6075

11/29/2018  1:37 AM
MARKELLE FULTZ
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
11/29/2018  1:16 PM
A play maker won’t make it in this system. There is no team concept being taught. Haven’t you guys seen it Frank is the only one who does the Hockey assist pass.
knicks1248
Member: #582
11/29/2018  1:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/29/2018  1:54 PM
Vmart wrote:A play maker won’t make it in this system. There is no team concept being taught. Haven’t you guys seen it Frank is the only one who does the Hockey assist pass.

the system is defend, run, gun, shoot 3's and dunks.

twice last night i saw Triers penetration suck the entire defense in, he had a wide open Knox and and trey open behind the arc, but instead took it to the hole and got his shot blocked no foul..

ES
Knixkik
USA
11/29/2018  1:57 PM
Vmart wrote:A play maker won’t make it in this system. There is no team concept being taught. Haven’t you guys seen it Frank is the only one who does the Hockey assist pass.

Can’t force a square peg into a round hole. We don’t have the personnel plain and simple. I won’t blame Fiz for that when our best playmaker is an undrafted rookie.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/29/2018  2:18 PM
Knixkik wrote:

Can’t force a square peg into a round hole. We don’t have the personnel plain and simple. I won’t blame Fiz for that when our best playmaker is an undrafted rookie.

True. You could blame Fix for the lack of continuity from game to game. I know what's been said by the organization, but the court has been inconsistent. Are we developing youth or are we pushing for the 8th playoff spot? Are we developing a culture where defense and fullcourt intensity are the team hallmarks, or are we pushing this heavy iso thing that's going on now? Fiz said that he would have more clarity on what this teams identity is around this point of the season. We're going to be bad no matter what, so let's stop toeing the line. Let's go full youth development!
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
knicks1248
11/29/2018  2:50 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

True. You could blame Fix for the lack of continuity from game to game. I know what's been said by the organization, but the court has been inconsistent. Are we developing youth or are we pushing for the 8th playoff spot? Are we developing a culture where defense and fullcourt intensity are the team hallmarks, or are we pushing this heavy iso thing that's going on now? Fiz said that he would have more clarity on what this teams identity is around this point of the season. We're going to be bad no matter what, so let's stop toeing the line. Let's go full youth development!

what do you mean by that, because all fiz talks about is developing and building a winning culture..he never once mention playoffs.

You can't develop players by letting them always play though their mistakes, because those mistake become bad habits..

If you keep letting players take horrible shots with no consequences, what do you think is going to happen? especially when your losing

ES
Nalod
USA
11/29/2018  3:53 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

what do you mean by that, because all fiz talks about is developing and building a winning culture..he never once mention playoffs.

You can't develop players by letting them always play though their mistakes, because those mistake become bad habits..

If you keep letting players take horrible shots with no consequences, what do you think is going to happen? especially when your losing

You get Porzingod back, draft a top 5 player and have cap space for kevin Durant. That's three starters.
KP will understand. Then you have Frank, knox learning still off the bench and room for a trade if "win now" is more apparent.
So basically the core team of today becomes role players off the bench. I think then the yoot will learn better habits.
If not KP, Kemba or Kyrie? We pretty good and have yoot developing. They can either play or be trade assets.
The pushback your getting is that some of us are ok with not winning but want to see a system playing instead of this street ball thing. If this is where we go, then trade Frank.
Im reminded of Igudala on the Warriors. Kid could play but his best strength was as a "glue" guy and when fundamental defense was needed or a big basket, he shined. In philly he was "over paid". Now, im not saying frank is Iggy, or Kwahi, but he is 20. That's all.
Im not going to sour on Fiz with this current style of ball. I just hope its not our style long term.

BigDaddyG

11/29/2018  4:35 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/29/2018  4:37 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

You continue to coach players, regardless. But there's no consistency with roles, minutes, identity etc. Fiz has said a lot of things that have not been displayed on the court. You can't develop a guy by shoving him in the starting lineup, playing him all over the place, then restricting or taking away his minutes. Here is an example: we heard all year about us needing more size at SF because THJ and Lee we're too small to defend the position. Fine. He goes ahead and starts Frank at SF followed by
Dot, who are all about the same size. Fine. I scratched my head a bit, but at least the young guys were getting burn. Then he inexplicably pulls Dot, who was doing a solid job defending the position, to push our rookie into the starting lineup. Questionable, move, but OK. The kid struggle s, understandably. Then he plugs him in with Hezonja!?!?! Dot outplayed Hezonja for most of the season! I thought you kept what you killed? I can give Fiz a pass for how he handled the PG situation, because was injured. But why start MitchRob over Kanter just to put Kanter back in. Kanter's game hasn't changed the past several year. We also knew MitchRob is raw. Why act surprised that MitchRob would play like an inexperienced rookie once he was inserted in the starting lineup? I thought the point of starting him was to give him experience? He's our future and Kanter isn't, so it kinda made sense. But now I can't really see what the point was. I know it's early, but I can't help but wonder what coach Bud what have done.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knixkik
USA
11/29/2018  4:58 PM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

You get Porzingod back, draft a top 5 player and have cap space for kevin Durant. That's three starters.
KP will understand. Then you have Frank, knox learning still off the bench and room for a trade if "win now" is more apparent.
So basically the core team of today becomes role players off the bench. I think then the yoot will learn better habits.
If not KP, Kemba or Kyrie? We pretty good and have yoot developing. They can either play or be trade assets.
The pushback your getting is that some of us are ok with not winning but want to see a system playing instead of this street ball thing. If this is where we go, then trade Frank.
Im reminded of Igudala on the Warriors. Kid could play but his best strength was as a "glue" guy and when fundamental defense was needed or a big basket, he shined. In philly he was "over paid". Now, im not saying frank is Iggy, or Kwahi, but he is 20. That's all.
Im not going to sour on Fiz with this current style of ball. I just hope its not our style long term.

I agree with all of this. I love our core right now with KP surrounded by Knox, Hardaway, Trier, Robinson, and Frank. Vonleh is a candidate as well. Add the 2019 pick and a big FA and there's your 9 man rotation next year. It can turn things around really quickly.

knicks1248
11/29/2018  8:24 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

You continue to coach players, regardless. But there's no consistency with roles, minutes, identity etc. Fiz has said a lot of things that have not been displayed on the court. You can't develop a guy by shoving him in the starting lineup, playing him all over the place, then restricting or taking away his minutes. Here is an example: we heard all year about us needing more size at SF because THJ and Lee we're too small to defend the position. Fine. He goes ahead and starts Frank at SF followed by
Dot, who are all about the same size. Fine. I scratched my head a bit, but at least the young guys were getting burn. Then he inexplicably pulls Dot, who was doing a solid job defending the position, to push our rookie into the starting lineup. Questionable, move, but OK. The kid struggle s, understandably. Then he plugs him in with Hezonja!?!?! Dot outplayed Hezonja for most of the season! I thought you kept what you killed? I can give Fiz a pass for how he handled the PG situation, because was injured. But why start MitchRob over Kanter just to put Kanter back in. Kanter's game hasn't changed the past several year. We also knew MitchRob is raw. Why act surprised that MitchRob would play like an inexperienced rookie once he was inserted in the starting lineup? I thought the point of starting him was to give him experience? He's our future and Kanter isn't, so it kinda made sense. But now I can't really see what the point was. I know it's early, but I can't help but wonder what coach Bud what have done.

How could there ever be consistency in roles when there's no consistency in play, there will never be consistency in anything if the results aren't good..think about it.

He wanted to keep Mitch in the starting line up, but dude is fouling at a record pace (3 fouls in 4 minutes last night alone)

The better player is always suppose to play first, that kanter move i'll excuse because he basically was giving players a chance to earn their roles, first 20 games, all good. I mean I thought is was ridiculous, but i get it. Those guys sit up there and break down hours of film and have all this DATA.

There will be no culture change without winning basketball, and no one has job security in sports without consistent success, that can't be debated

ES
BigDaddyG

11/29/2018  10:57 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

How could there ever be consistency in roles when there's no consistency in play, there will never be consistency in anything if the results aren't good..think about it.

He wanted to keep Mitch in the starting line up, but dude is fouling at a record pace (3 fouls in 4 minutes last night alone)

The better player is always suppose to play first, that kanter move i'll excuse because he basically was giving players a chance to earn their roles, first 20 games, all good. I mean I thought is was ridiculous, but i get it. Those guys sit up there and break down hours of film and have all this DATA.

There will be no culture change without winning basketball, and no one has job security in sports without consistent success, that can't be debated

How can there be consistency in play when there is no consistency in roles? I'm not saying Mitch should start. I'm saying close your eyes, throw a dart and pick a scheme, lineup or whatever the Dart hits. Then stick with it for a while. I do blame Fiz for Mitch because we all knew he was raw an would the outcome would eventually be. I don't have much love for Kanter's game, but what was the point of sitting him in the first place. Was it to commit to the kids? Then keep Mitch out there and sub him accordingly. Are we trying to win now? Then keep Kanter in, not that I think it will make much of difference. Kanter is who he is? Mitch is a talented kid, but he didn't even play organized ball last year. Why did Fiz waste everyone's time with this move.Players play according to the course upper management has set. The Warriors were losers, but they developed culture and started winning. You can develop culture in losing situations if you have a consistency in vision. Thing look chaotic on the court right now. You're right, it's only been about 20 games. Fiz said he'd have lineup and rotations wrapped in about 25 games, so we'll bsee.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/29/2018  11:20 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

How can there be consistency in play when there is no consistency in roles? I'm not saying Mitch should start. I'm saying close your eyes, throw a dart and pick a scheme, lineup or whatever the Dart hits. Then stick with it for a while. I do blame Fiz for Mitch because we all knew he was raw an would the outcome would eventually be. I don't have much love for Kanter's game, but what was the point of sitting him in the first place. Was it to commit to the kids? Then keep Mitch out there and sub him accordingly. Are we trying to win now? Then keep Kanter in, not that I think it will make much of difference. Kanter is who he is? Mitch is a talented kid, but he didn't even play organized ball last year. Why did Fiz waste everyone's time with this move.Players play according to the course upper management has set. The Warriors were losers, but they developed culture and started winning. You can develop culture in losing situations if you have a consistency in vision. Thing look chaotic on the court right now. You're right, it's only been about 20 games. Fiz said he'd have lineup and rotations wrapped in about 25 games, so we'll bsee.

How you can have consistent success which you define as winning games only (other things seems irrelevant to you) with this bunch of rookies and reclamation projects?
This is NBA. Its the man league. And you want a team which will lose to any top college program to win many games.
Do you understand how stupid this sounds?
If they will get 30 wins its a huge success. But I would prefer them to find out more about what this kids are made of and win as was expected 25 or so.
This set us up nicely for lottery balls.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

11/30/2018  2:10 AM
Nalod wrote:We have seen every configuration play both good and bad.

The team needs Ron Baker to start and run this offense, flaws and all. He is not the right choice, he is the best out of a small range of very bad options.

Baker and Frank N need to be put under orders to shoot 8 three point shot attempts a game each, results be damned.

Team can't penetrate ( aside from Trier who doesn't actually stay within game flow with his team mates around him) so they need to carpet bomb the other team with three point shot attempts.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

11/30/2018  6:29 AM
Knixkik wrote:

Yeah I mean that says it all doesn't it.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
BigDaddyG

11/30/2018  10:19 AM
arkrud wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

How you can have consistent success which you define as winning games only (other things seems irrelevant to you) with this bunch of rookies and reclamation projects?
This is NBA. Its the man league. And you want a team which will lose to any top college program to win many games.
Do you understand how stupid this sounds?
If they will get 30 wins its a huge success. But I would prefer them to find out more about what this kids are made of and win as was expected 25 or so.
This set us up nicely for lottery balls.

Who mentioned wins or losses? How about just rolling out a consistent rotation? How about cutting the hyperbole and giving realistic expectations of what your direction for the team is.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
12/5/2018  9:51 AM
Just for giggles, taking for granted we are going to strike out on KP and Kyrie, does anyone want John Wall with that contract, at any price?

https://dailyknicks.com/2018/12/04/new-york-knicks-john-wall-trade-provides-unnecessary-complications/

Nalod
USA
12/5/2018  10:29 AM
John Wall? Hell no!! You see his contract balloons to over 40mil a year?
No, Wiz would have had to take Noah, Clee and a unprotected first rounder for that to have happened!!!
His defense has a "Melo" kind of effort to it.

By the numbers:

2019/20 $38,150,000
2020/21 $41,202,000
2021/22 $44,254,000
2022/23 $47,306,000

Now think about timmy's contract and anyone thinking it was a franchise killer!!

We need a playmaker badly

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy