The 2019 Draft
Author Thread
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

1/23/2019  2:41 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:Zion relies on his athleticism a bit too much in games. On one hand, glad to see he likes mixing it up in the paint, but on the other hand...when are we ever going to play him at PF at that height. He needs to be able to really shoot it from the outside. We need sharp shooters more than anything else. Dude has an infectious personality, but there's a few red flags. That weight worries me whats going to happen 5 years from now...is he going to turn into mike sweetney?

At the moment, I would pass on Zion.

Said no one ever, except you

lol ok we'll see...

If we were picking first. I would still consider Barrett first. We need a "safe" pick just to balance out and diversify our investments on the last three first round picks.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
1/23/2019  3:21 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:Zion relies on his athleticism a bit too much in games. On one hand, glad to see he likes mixing it up in the paint, but on the other hand...when are we ever going to play him at PF at that height. He needs to be able to really shoot it from the outside. We need sharp shooters more than anything else. Dude has an infectious personality, but there's a few red flags. That weight worries me whats going to happen 5 years from now...is he going to turn into mike sweetney?

lol ok we'll see...

Except this isn’t “baby-fat” (I hate that term) Sweetney. Zion is built like LeBron, meaning he is ripped. His motor is high and he is VERY skilled. If you think Barrett is a better player and will always be, then I understand that view but we’ll have to agree to disagree. Otherwise, we have to pray to dear God we win the lotto so that we even have a chance ar Zion. Our chances aren’t good regardless. They meant business when they discouraged tanking with the new lotto format.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/23/2019  3:43 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:

lol ok we'll see...

If we were picking first. I would still consider Barrett first. We need a "safe" pick just to balance out and diversify our investments on the last three first round picks.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/23/2019  4:02 PM
Zion is not a finished product and no doubt will have to learn to play with less emotion and tone it down. he contests a lot of shots and might damn well kill himself trying in college.
kid does not look fat to me. He is a lot bigger than Lebron was at the same age. Im not sure we have seen this before. The comps are closer to Barkley but more everything.
I'd be concerned about him getting too big but does he love the game and keep himself in tune year round?
I have never seen a kid this big move like that.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/23/2019  5:09 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:

lol ok we'll see...

Except this isn’t “baby-fat” (I hate that term) Sweetney. Zion is built like LeBron, meaning he is ripped. His motor is high and he is VERY skilled. If you think Barrett is a better player and will always be, then I understand that view but we’ll have to agree to disagree. Otherwise, we have to pray to dear God we win the lotto so that we even have a chance ar Zion. Our chances aren’t good regardless. They meant business when they discouraged tanking with the new lotto format.

Zion's passing and ball handling are very underrated. He relies too much on athleticism? So do most star players in this league. Don't get me wrong, I like Barret too. But Zion is CLEARLY the top pick.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Allanfan20
USA
1/23/2019  5:26 PM
Nalod wrote:Zion is not a finished product and no doubt will have to learn to play with less emotion and tone it down. he contests a lot of shots and might damn well kill himself trying in college.
kid does not look fat to me. He is a lot bigger than Lebron was at the same age. Im not sure we have seen this before. The comps are closer to Barkley but more everything.
I'd be concerned about him getting too big but does he love the game and keep himself in tune year round?

Yeah, he’s going to need a consistent mid range and 3 point shot if he wants to be the threat he is right now. I think he will develop that if he isn’t already.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
1/23/2019  5:41 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Nalod wrote:Zion is not a finished product and no doubt will have to learn to play with less emotion and tone it down. he contests a lot of shots and might damn well kill himself trying in college.

Yeah, he’s going to need a consistent mid range and 3 point shot if he wants to be the threat he is right now. I think he will develop that if he isn’t already.

He's a very unique player.

I know Barkely is often a comparison I hear, but I think a lot about LJ pre-back injury when he was Grandmama.

That being said, Zion is even more athletic and wider. He also has very good footwork, which LJ also had in his game or at least added.

He needs a jump shot, but you'd be fool not to take him at #1.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
1/23/2019  5:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/23/2019  5:54 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:

lol ok we'll see...

Zion's passing and ball handling are very underrated. He relies too much on athleticism? So do most star players in this league. Don't get me wrong, I like Barret too. But Zion is CLEARLY the top pick.

Indeed.

He does take risks trying to make steals - so shows the scouting videos as well - and I have seen him disappear, as he doesn't really have a reliable go-to game with the ball in his hands outside of the paint, and is a poor FT shooter, but shooting can be learned.

I think the weight questions are not something to be ignored, but nowadays there is so much more known about diet/training that I think it will be fine as long as he aims to live a fit and healthy lifestyle.

As for his height, will it matter? He has incredible strength, great reach plus I think the most otherworldly hops I've ever seen that means he doesn't really need height.

However, the chances we land him are slim. Even if we are in the top 2. Everyone has a bad chance, but that's why we are more likely to not get him and I think we have to expect that reality.

The draft lottery is closer to a real lottery with the new chances, and the worse part is that it also means a greater chance of dropping quite far down as well.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/23/2019  6:02 PM
PresIke wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:

I know Barkely is often a comparison I hear, but I think a lot about LJ pre-back injury when he was Grandmama.

That being said, Zion is even more athletic and wider. He also has very good footwork, which LJ also had in his game or at least added.

Plus, LJ was a senior when he entered the draft and was 22 in his rookie year. Zion is only 18. LJ was one of the most unique athletes I've ever seen and Zion already eclipses him athletically at the age of 18! Think about that! He also has a 6'10" wingspan. While it's not freakish, it's still solid.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Allanfan20
USA
1/23/2019  7:03 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
PresIke wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:

Plus, LJ was a senior when he entered the draft and was 22 in his rookie year. Zion is only 18. LJ was one of the most unique athletes I've ever seen and Zion already eclipses him athletically at the age of 18! Think about that! He also has a 6'10" wingspan. While it's not freakish, it's still solid.

Yeah, I think of LJ too, althougb I remwmber LJ being pretty terrible at defense the first few years of his career.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

1/23/2019  10:39 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:

lol ok we'll see...

lebron developed a consistent jump shot...can zion? is that a risk? yes...
impact to knee every time he jumps up...at 6'5 - 6'6 280...that's a lot of impact over the years...Lebron's atheleticism was at 2 inches taller and 45 lbs lighter....much less impact.
ball handling for zion...yes its hice. Passing...maybe open court...not really half court i think

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
1/23/2019  11:25 PM

Mike Sweetney was like a nice soft comfortable couch. Zion is a friggin tank. No comparison at all.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
wargames
Member: #6053

1/24/2019  8:47 AM
PresIke wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:

I've been saying he looks like college LJ too! The only negative to that is that eventually that style of play wore LJ's body down. Even then he was still a damn good player.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

1/24/2019  9:15 AM
You know who has really grown on me as of late? Jarrett Culver. Big two way high IQ SG who can move the rock and score the rock. He isn’t explosive but he plays steady kinda like Caris Lavert. Low key rate him over Barrett who I fear will just be a chucker in the league.
The Future is Bright!
Chandler
Member: #6197

1/24/2019  10:32 AM
I'll leave it to the guys who know college hoops and drafting but I've seen a number of college "man-child" types turn into busts in the NBA when all of a sudden they have to go against a team full of grown vets all with athleticism. Some players domination in college does not translate; others do. The comparisons to LJ are interesting to me.

We also need to consider team fit; is KP a 5 or a 4 and what's the net effect if he's best at 4 but you shift him to 5

I just hope we continue with the roll; I am very happy with how they drafted this year

(5)(5)
meloshouldgo

1/24/2019  6:26 PM
martin wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:

lol ok we'll see...

Story of my life, bro

meloshouldgo

1/24/2019  6:32 PM
PresIke wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
martin wrote:

lol ok we'll see...

Indeed.

He does take risks trying to make steals - so shows the scouting videos as well - and I have seen him disappear, as he doesn't really have a reliable go-to game with the ball in his hands outside of the paint, and is a poor FT shooter, but shooting can be learned.

I think the weight questions are not something to be ignored, but nowadays there is so much more known about diet/training that I think it will be fine as long as he aims to live a fit and healthy lifestyle.

As for his height, will it matter? He has incredible strength, great reach plus I think the most otherworldly hops I've ever seen that means he doesn't really need height.

However, the chances we land him are slim. Even if we are in the top 2. Everyone has a bad chance, but that's why we are more likely to not get him and I think we have to expect that reality.

The draft lottery is closer to a real lottery with the new chances, and the worse part is that it also means a greater chance of dropping quite far down as well.

It's not the weight itself that I worry about. It's the risk of injury because of it.

Allanfan20
USA
1/24/2019  9:44 PM
I don’t care that he twisted his ankle. I am not convinced by Ja so far. He forces the issue on every play and he does not have a consistent jumper to make his driving game easier. As of now, I still have Barrett at number 2 and I’m not really a huge RJ fan so far.
smackeddog
Member: #883
1/25/2019  3:23 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:I don’t care that he twisted his ankle. I am not convinced by Ja so far. He forces the issue on every play and he does not have a consistent jumper to make his driving game easier. As of now, I still have Barrett at number 2 and I’m not really a huge RJ fan so far.

Man, the draft is tough this year- everyone has big question marks, after Zion it's all up in the air.

meloshouldgo

1/25/2019  2:09 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:I don’t care that he twisted his ankle. I am not convinced by Ja so far. He forces the issue on every play and he does not have a consistent jumper to make his driving game easier. As of now, I still have Barrett at number 2 and I’m not really a huge RJ fan so far.

It's our school basketball system that keeps producing ball hogging shoot first guards. And it just carries over to the NBA

The 2019 Draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy