[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The 2019 Draft
Author Thread
Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

1/15/2019  1:31 PM
Chandler wrote:First things first, full disclaimer: I am not a college basketball expert. Are people convinced on Zion?

I am wary of college phenoms because sometimes a player's dominance is a result of the college competition. There have been many "man-childs" in the past who did not pan out in pros; also many players from Duke do not pan out. Their current team supposedly has several first round talents. It's not like the other team could easily load up on Zion and leave the others alone. D. Williams was listed taller and could dunk the crap out of the ball: he's now playing in Germany

I looked at the highlights from the game last night. A few things stuck out on a scale of 1 to 10...

1. Zion Enthusiasm and team spirit - 10/10. There was a play where Barrett stole the ball with score 9-0, both raced past the competition, Barrett could have set him up for a rim shattering dunk but instead dunked it himself. But as he jumped up to do so, Zion jumped up behind him as well, with his arms to his side and after the dunk, had a loud roar for Barrett.

2. Barrett is herky jerky like Lance Stephenson at times, but if there's one guy constantly moving in the game with boundless energy...that would be Zion. Not sure if that automatically translates to 35 mins per game as a starter in his rookie NBA season, since even on his current team he averages < 27 mins per night. I would say someone would ask him to shed 20 lbs this summer. Barrett skills - 9/10 at least last night. He got what he wanted almost all the time.

3. Zion boxes out well on D, kinda Kanter like in the paint for offensive rebounding, and does well for weak side blocks and off the ball defense looking at his man and the ball. On the ball D was not on display in the highlights except for one play where he jumped up, got driven by, and yet recovered for a block. - 8/10

4. Zion looks like someone we know when powering to the rim, obviously does not get blocked as much because of his hops and ability to create space with his wide body, but does fall down just as much as someone on our team. What's up with that? I didn't like that. That just means a 5 on 4 break for the other team in today's NBA if you are falling down that much. - 5/10

5. Best guard on the floor was Syracuse's Battle, cool as a cucumber, smooth on his shots and also got anything he wanted with a super fast first step - 10/10.

6. Discount Double check award of the night, Duke's O'Connell, dude can shoot from 3 - 8/10. If he could dribble like Klay, he'd be ranked really high.

7. Some bad/overrated things about Zion - his 3 making...average at best on the form and slow release allowing for easy blocks in the NBA. I dont see him taking and making contested 3s. Understanding plays...Where to be on the court in a half court set. Loves contact but some of those will result in blocks in the NBA.

8. Some underrated things about Zion - cuts well to get to open spots, and moves well without the ball, is always the one throwing in the ball from side out or backcourt, can shoot the 10-15 footer and quite willing to do other dirty work like setting picks that will not show up on stat sheet.

Overall, I don't think Zion is the guy for us when guys like Barrett and Battle are available. Weight concerns and those same double teams he's able to overpower in college...I doubt if he'll be able to do that in the NBA. I didn't see him pass out of a double team once in the highlights...not once.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Member: #883
1/15/2019  1:33 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:I am nervous about this new lotto system. I just want the Knicks to get the top pick finally.

I suspect Atlanta will get the top pick.

The attendance problems there are a real problem for the franchise and the league. Their front office has done a really good job given the situation and the attrition ( losing Millsap and Horford) Collins is completely legit and what he's doing as a young player is pretty impressive. Surrendering Doncic might haunt them forever though.

Ballmer paid his 2 billion for the Clippers. At some point the league is going to gift him the top pick.

One way or another, AD is leaving the Pelicans, the league will need to create a market correction there too.

Two schools of thought. The draft is rigged, or it's not. If you believe the draft is not rigged, a record selling price franchise or a team needing a PR reboot for losing an elite guy will get the top pick. If you believe the draft is rigged, a record selling price franchise or a team needing a PR reboot for losing an elite guy will get the top pick.

The changing of the "odds" is merely a PR tool to better rationalize some rigging. ( i.e. Derrick Rose to the Bulls, despite their league worst odds that year to get the top pick) Increasing the rig range from the top 3 picks to the top 4 allows the league to give out more market correction each year.

Go to tankathon and run some simulations. You'll see some weird stuff happen s. Does that mean tankathon are in on the conspiracy?

All I know is we will get screwed. MSG is sold out every night the league has no reason to allow us to become compeitive. We are a draw everywhere the only way we will get a top pick is if we stop going to games.

1. Hawks
2. Cavs
3. Pelicans
4. Wolves
5. Suns
6. Bulls
7. Knicks

My prediction as of now

I just did a few lotto simulations on tankathon. The Knicks were picked 5-7 most of the times.

Yep that's what seems to happen every time! We're forever destined to pick 7th or 8th

Cartman718

1/15/2019  1:34 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:I am nervous about this new lotto system. I just want the Knicks to get the top pick finally.

I suspect Atlanta will get the top pick.

The attendance problems there are a real problem for the franchise and the league. Their front office has done a really good job given the situation and the attrition ( losing Millsap and Horford) Collins is completely legit and what he's doing as a young player is pretty impressive. Surrendering Doncic might haunt them forever though.

Ballmer paid his 2 billion for the Clippers. At some point the league is going to gift him the top pick.

One way or another, AD is leaving the Pelicans, the league will need to create a market correction there too.

Two schools of thought. The draft is rigged, or it's not. If you believe the draft is not rigged, a record selling price franchise or a team needing a PR reboot for losing an elite guy will get the top pick. If you believe the draft is rigged, a record selling price franchise or a team needing a PR reboot for losing an elite guy will get the top pick.

The changing of the "odds" is merely a PR tool to better rationalize some rigging. ( i.e. Derrick Rose to the Bulls, despite their league worst odds that year to get the top pick) Increasing the rig range from the top 3 picks to the top 4 allows the league to give out more market correction each year.

Go to tankathon and run some simulations. You'll see some weird stuff happen s. Does that mean tankathon are in on the conspiracy?

All I know is we will get screwed. MSG is sold out every night the league has no reason to allow us to become compeitive. We are a draw everywhere the only way we will get a top pick is if we stop going to games.

1. Hawks
2. Cavs
3. Pelicans
4. Wolves
5. Suns
6. Bulls
7. Knicks

My prediction as of now

I just did a few lotto simulations on tankathon. The Knicks were picked 5-7 most of the times.

I did get a few of those and I got a few #1 and #2 overall as well. :)

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718

1/15/2019  1:36 PM
Why is Battle not on nbadraft.net's first round picks?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/17/2019  11:17 AM
Tankathon on first try had knicks at 3 taking Ja Morant.
Nalod
USA
1/18/2019  12:26 PM
Today Tankathon gave us the 2nd pick, RJ Barrett.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

1/18/2019  1:39 PM
Cartman718 wrote:Why is Battle not on nbadraft.net's first round picks?

He's an older prospect, relatively speaking. He was mocked in the mid-first round last year and he dropped. That's why he came back.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
1/18/2019  5:10 PM
Nalod wrote:Today Tankathon gave us the 2nd pick, RJ Barrett.

I would be OK with that.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Cartman718

1/18/2019  9:55 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:Why is Battle not on nbadraft.net's first round picks?
He's an older prospect, relatively speaking. He was mocked in the mid-first round last year and he dropped. That's why he came back.
Got it. His game looks nba ready and very effortless at times
Cartman718

1/19/2019  11:53 PM
I see Draft Express talking about Ja Morant being skinny but holy **** 40 pts 10 assists...maybe he is our guy this draft.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

1/20/2019  10:04 AM
Cartman718 wrote:I see Draft Express talking about Ja Morant being skinny but holy **** 40 pts 10 assists...maybe he is our guy this draft.

If we miss out on Zion, Ja is my 2nd choice...Kid has unbelievable vision and handle.

VCoug
Member: #1406

1/20/2019  11:39 AM
Uptown wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:I see Draft Express talking about Ja Morant being skinny but holy **** 40 pts 10 assists...maybe he is our guy this draft.

If we miss out on Zion, Ja is my 2nd choice...Kid has unbelievable vision and handle.

I want to see how Ja plays in the Conference and NCAA tourney. He's mostly playing against pretty crappy competition so those will be interesting. But yeah, right now I think I'd take Ja #2 after Zion.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Allanfan20
USA
1/22/2019  9:21 PM
VCoug wrote:
Uptown wrote:

I want to see how Ja plays in the Conference and NCAA tourney. He's mostly playing against pretty crappy competition so those will be interesting. But yeah, right now I think I'd take Ja #2 after Zion.

I like his passing and competitiveness but that shot form bothers the hell out of me even though the numbers don’t really back me up.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

1/22/2019  10:49 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
VCoug wrote:
Uptown wrote:

I like his passing and competitiveness but that shot form bothers the hell out of me even though the numbers don’t really back me up.

I agree on his shot as well, esp with the three being the main event In the nba these days. Having a pg who shoots 30% on 3s is a issue. I’m also not sold till I see him vs real competition.

Nalod
USA
1/23/2019  10:23 AM
Tankathon today (I hit one Simulation because it normally just sets to draft position) had us at no. 3 down a spot to grab Barrett. Ja Morant has moved up to the second spot after Zion. Tankathon ranks players and does not consider position. Knicks flip a coin on choosing two players I would suspect they take by position first. If Zion is ranked considerably higher than any other I think you take the player. If you do think a player is HOF GOAT material then you take that player and perhaps trade Knox if there is redundancy at a position.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/23/2019  10:34 AM
fitzfarm wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
VCoug wrote:
Uptown wrote:

I agree on his shot as well, esp with the three being the main event In the nba these days. Having a pg who shoots 30% on 3s is a issue. I’m also not sold till I see him vs real competition.

He is shooting 34% for the year at a rate of double the previous, and he increased it about 40 percentage points. I think that's pretty good and shows promise.

And his 2PT FG% is an insane 65%.

Still worried?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Allanfan20
USA
1/23/2019  1:15 PM
martin wrote:
fitzfarm wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
VCoug wrote:
Uptown wrote:

He is shooting 34% for the year at a rate of double the previous, and he increased it about 40 percentage points. I think that's pretty good and shows promise.

And his 2PT FG% is an insane 65%.

Still worried?

Yes. He’s not playing against awesome competition.

Cartman718

1/23/2019  1:29 PM
Zion relies on his athleticism a bit too much in games. On one hand, glad to see he likes mixing it up in the paint, but on the other hand...when are we ever going to play him at PF at that height. He needs to be able to really shoot it from the outside. We need sharp shooters more than anything else. Dude has an infectious personality, but there's a few red flags. That weight worries me whats going to happen 5 years from now...is he going to turn into mike sweetney?

At the moment, I would pass on Zion.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/23/2019  2:01 PM
Cartman718 wrote:Zion relies on his athleticism a bit too much in games. On one hand, glad to see he likes mixing it up in the paint, but on the other hand...when are we ever going to play him at PF at that height. He needs to be able to really shoot it from the outside. We need sharp shooters more than anything else. Dude has an infectious personality, but there's a few red flags. That weight worries me whats going to happen 5 years from now...is he going to turn into mike sweetney?

Said no one ever, except you

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Cartman718

1/23/2019  2:05 PM
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:Zion relies on his athleticism a bit too much in games. On one hand, glad to see he likes mixing it up in the paint, but on the other hand...when are we ever going to play him at PF at that height. He needs to be able to really shoot it from the outside. We need sharp shooters more than anything else. Dude has an infectious personality, but there's a few red flags. That weight worries me whats going to happen 5 years from now...is he going to turn into mike sweetney?

Said no one ever, except you

lol ok we'll see...

The 2019 Draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy