[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The 2019 Draft
Author Thread
jskinny35
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #928
USA
4/17/2019  11:29 AM
I think we didn't send him to the G League because we were concerned it would destroy his confidence further... everybody who goes to the G League and gets called to an NBA roster usually dominates down there... what would have been like for Frank to go down there and average 9-11 points and play lock down defense? It would take away any potential trade value he has remaining for other teams possibly considering him...
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
4/17/2019  12:38 PM
jskinny35 wrote:I think we didn't send him to the G League because we were concerned it would destroy his confidence further... everybody who goes to the G League and gets called to an NBA roster usually dominates down there... what would have been like for Frank to go down there and average 9-11 points and play lock down defense? It would take away any potential trade value he has remaining for other teams possibly considering him...

If the goal was for him to be the Knick’s point guard then you send him down. Also, this could have been done his rookie year. If the plan is to trade Frank then I agree you don’t send him down.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Chandler
Member: #6197

4/17/2019  12:39 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Nalod wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Crazy that the Celtics could have 4 first round picks in this draft

it is and Ainge has been good at making deals. What in gods name do you do with 4 picks?
Make trades. Frank as a celtic. UGGGGH!!! Watch him blossom in Celtic Green would make me sick.
He has time to decide on Jaylen Brown. Rozier is restricted FA.
Ainge has done a good job with rookie scale contracts then moving on. With picks and talent they should make a compelling trade for AD but if Knicks need Franks cap space they could see him as having more upside to Marcus Smart down the road. Ainge knows what he is doing. Don't always work but he has a process.

Maybe if Frank had Smart’s heart the Knicks would never look to trade him for cap space. I don’t see Frank or many nba players developing the heart and tenacity Smart plays with. If Frank has that he might be the best prospect in his draft class.

Can we really call Frank's lack of progress "Heart"? I mean we really don't know the guy. WE read of his high work ethic and its not like he does not try.
He does not preen or scream when makes a good play, but that does not mean he does not care. Playing defense requires heart. Steals require heart.
While I might be a fan boy of him to my eye his ego/confidence is not strong and he looks physically immature still. I have said this before that in person Knox and Frank look very much like teenagers. A good progression in his rookie season he played 78 games, this past he was beset with injuries. A bad shoulder would effect shooting.
Excuse or a reason? I don't know. Smart is a beast. He played 2 years in college and was a tank coming out of school.

I wouldn't question Frank's heart; I would question Fizz's brain

Look at Celtics. They know Smart has limited offense. He's a good interior passer and a tenacious defender and they roll with that, even though Smart can sometime otherwise get them in trouble with his shots and his temper(a bit of Ron Artest)

We on the other hand crushed Franks confidence and took away his one strength moving him off of defending the point where he has a huge advantage and instead put him on 2s and 3s. He'll now end up on some team like San Antonio or Pacers and make us look foolish while we flounder around with Mudiay, DSJ and god knows who else

There were concerns about Frank's confidence in scouting reports prior to the draft. It also was suggested that if Frank's eventual position was going to be point guard he needed to get minutes on the ball in the g league because he had played primarily off the ball. I don't think this is a case of Knicks dumb Spurs smart. If you want to make the case that the Knicks should have sent Frank to the g league for a significant amount of time to improve his point guard play and that not doing it hurt his development I could get behind that.

hindsight is 20-20 and g-league may have been right. But he didnt lack confidence on D and enjoyed the challenges against Harden Wade et al when they tried to school him but failed. He stuffed a Ben Simmon's dunk attempt.

The weird part is they let Kniox play through horrific stretches and showed plenty of patience with Mud and DSJ even when they did something dumb

The point of my post was that the Celtics for example let Smart play to his strengths. They don't try to make him into some electric scorer. Maybe they're disappointed w him being a #6 pick (higher than Frank) but they are extracting maximum value out of what he can actually provide. We in turn did the opposite with Frank. I can't believe he's psyched about his situation. They benched him when his family visited. They've favored reclamation projects over him

(5)(5)
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
4/17/2019  1:01 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
jskinny35 wrote:I think we didn't send him to the G League because we were concerned it would destroy his confidence further... everybody who goes to the G League and gets called to an NBA roster usually dominates down there... what would have been like for Frank to go down there and average 9-11 points and play lock down defense? It would take away any potential trade value he has remaining for other teams possibly considering him...

If the goal was for him to be the Knick’s point guard then you send him down. Also, this could have been done his rookie year. If the plan is to trade Frank then I agree you don’t send him down.

Agree and they should have his rookie season. Now you either move on from him as a focus and hope he develops on his own or you trade him if you can get any decent return. I think right now his value looks like an early 2nd round pick. If we can get anything in the first round that would be great

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
4/19/2019  10:15 AM    LAST EDITED: 4/19/2019  10:29 AM
Well, I hope the Knicks didn't ruin Frank. He didn't have the ideal 2nd season, but I'm not sure if you can blame the Knicks completely - injuries are part of the game and he simply was injured for a pretty good chunk of the season.

Replaying his rookie season, it might have been a better choice for Ntilikina to have been send down the the G-league to work on his PG skills as soon as KP got hurt, as we were no longer giving him valuable/meaningful minutes on a potential playoff squad. But alas, he was also a bit banged up that year too.

His rookie season was quite promising though and the influence of Jack on the roster seemed to be a good one. He had some really impressive moments and we thought highly of the long armed tandem of KP and Frank on the floor together.

This season Frank was put in a college-like atmosphere where the players were supposed to be rooting for each other, pushing each other, all while working on "positionless" basketball skills. The team could have considered whether the camaraderie of being with the other young players was more valuable than him being send "down".

Another interesting element is while G-league competition is generally easier (players are generally slower and shorter than comparative NBA players), his head-to-head competition on the Westchester Knicks roster might have been comparable. Kadeem Allen was the primary PG on the G-league team, and many folks here feel that age 26, Allen is probably a more polished and mature player than any of the Knicks PGs this year (Burke/Mudiay/Frank/DSJ), and likewise might have caused more problems for Frank than his NBA Knick teammates.

Of course, the difference is that in G-league, there's a bit more of an understanding that the "best players" do not necessarily get the minutes as it's set up to be a training ground - it doesn't have to be a "competition" given that the goal of the G-league isn't to showcase the max potential of the players, it's to showcase how well these folks can execute with their roles and plug into an NBA system. Kadeem could have just had to suck it up. (or alternatively, Allen could have traded roster spots to keep Frank's path clear)

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
technomaster
USA
4/19/2019  10:36 AM
There was an interesting article comparing Barrett and Culver. Culver has developed quite measurably between his freshman and soph years, solidifying base skills and expanding them in year 2. Freshman Barrett came into the season as a better player than Freshman Culver, but based on the Duke roster, was thrust into an alpha role right away and the concern is that he hasn't developed "the little things". Coming into the Knicks (or most lottery teams), he'll continue to be thrust into alpha roles and this ultimately may limit his upside as he'll never have the emphasis to round out his game.

Culver is a more well rounded player (some would say ready to be a high level defender in the NBA) plus his offense isn't that different from Barrett's. But he's also a bit older too, so that factors in the upside.

I *hope* Ewing can deliver the goods on lottery night (aka Zion)... but if not I really don't know who's going where.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/19/2019  11:54 AM
technomaster wrote:Well, I hope the Knicks didn't ruin Frank. He didn't have the ideal 2nd season, but I'm not sure if you can blame the Knicks completely - injuries are part of the game and he simply was injured for a pretty good chunk of the season.

Replaying his rookie season, it might have been a better choice for Ntilikina to have been send down the the G-league to work on his PG skills as soon as KP got hurt, as we were no longer giving him valuable/meaningful minutes on a potential playoff squad. But alas, he was also a bit banged up that year too.

His rookie season was quite promising though and the influence of Jack on the roster seemed to be a good one. He had some really impressive moments and we thought highly of the long armed tandem of KP and Frank on the floor together.

This season Frank was put in a college-like atmosphere where the players were supposed to be rooting for each other, pushing each other, all while working on "positionless" basketball skills. The team could have considered whether the camaraderie of being with the other young players was more valuable than him being send "down".

Another interesting element is while G-league competition is generally easier (players are generally slower and shorter than comparative NBA players), his head-to-head competition on the Westchester Knicks roster might have been comparable. Kadeem Allen was the primary PG on the G-league team, and many folks here feel that age 26, Allen is probably a more polished and mature player than any of the Knicks PGs this year (Burke/Mudiay/Frank/DSJ), and likewise might have caused more problems for Frank than his NBA Knick teammates.

Of course, the difference is that in G-league, there's a bit more of an understanding that the "best players" do not necessarily get the minutes as it's set up to be a training ground - it doesn't have to be a "competition" given that the goal of the G-league isn't to showcase the max potential of the players, it's to showcase how well these folks can execute with their roles and plug into an NBA system. Kadeem could have just had to suck it up. (or alternatively, Allen could have traded roster spots to keep Frank's path clear)

huh? Did Allen and Frank even play more than a handful of games together? I guess i don't know why you would add that type of thinking

Frank's problems seem to be confidence and shooting. At the beginning of the year Trey was starting at PG and Frank was at the 3, and he was left in the corner to shoot the simplest of 3 point shots (give or take the whole offensive scheme). In a nutshell, Frank was left to defend and make 1 type of shot within the offense. Wasn't asked to run the show or anything. Do the thing you are super capable of and do 1 element of the offense. He failed at that.

In Fiz's terminology, he didn't kill anything.

Kid filled out his body last offseason but he had better continue with his handle and shot, and his kill everything around him mentality better wake the F up, otherwise life in the NBA will be short.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
technomaster
USA
4/19/2019  8:04 PM
I mean more problems for Frank to earn *playing time* over Allen in the G-league. You can rationalize Frank getting minutes over Mudiay and Burke courtesy of his superior defense.

I think Kadeem Allen's a better all-around player (especially at PG) over Frank at this stage - albeit 6 or 7 years older. In limited minutes for the NBA Knicks, he seemed like a hardnosed defender (perhaps he learned something while sparring with Marcus Smart in Boston) and a confident offensive thread. It'd be hard for Frank to earn minutes over Allen's steadier play. Let's be honest: it'd be amazing if Frank could match 2019 PG Allen within a year or two.

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

4/19/2019  10:21 PM
technomaster wrote:I mean more problems for Frank to earn *playing time* over Allen in the G-league. You can rationalize Frank getting minutes over Mudiay and Burke courtesy of his superior defense.

I think Kadeem Allen's a better all-around player (especially at PG) over Frank at this stage - albeit 6 or 7 years older. In limited minutes for the NBA Knicks, he seemed like a hardnosed defender (perhaps he learned something while sparring with Marcus Smart in Boston) and a confident offensive thread. It'd be hard for Frank to earn minutes over Allen's steadier play. Let's be honest: it'd be amazing if Frank could match 2019 PG Allen within a year or two.

If Frank could duplicate Allen’s production he would be twice as better just based on size alone.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
4/22/2019  12:29 PM
ekstarks94 wrote:
technomaster wrote:I mean more problems for Frank to earn *playing time* over Allen in the G-league. You can rationalize Frank getting minutes over Mudiay and Burke courtesy of his superior defense.

If Frank could duplicate Allen’s production he would be twice as better just based on size alone.

The knicks need to cut ties with frank, and I believe they will, there's just too many players better than him on the roster, in the draft, and in FA.

This is not a good system or environment for him

ES
Cartman718
Member: #1694

4/23/2019  1:04 PM
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718
Member: #1694

4/23/2019  1:05 PM
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

4/25/2019  11:03 AM
Cartman718 wrote:

Hmmm. Real personable...

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
4/26/2019  12:51 PM
Does anyone think Durant's juice card is big enough that he can go to Silver: Yo I want the Knicks to get the #1 picks and I'll sign with them.

NBA TV deal signed through 2024-2025 and you know they need leverage several years BEFORE that to make the best of the numbers. Zion's TV games were so hot this past year when at Duke and would be even more so in NY with Durant (then say Atlanta). The next 3-5 years would just be pure East Coast v West Coast (GS, maybe Lakers) rivalry that the NBA and TV needs.

One can hope and dream

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
4/29/2019  11:37 AM
Love what Zion is doing!!!!! Flying!!!

Interesting article. So many things tugging at the faithful heartstrings we even draw lines in the sand.
When we started the season RJ Barrett was the top dog. No doubt Zion is and should be no. 1 but really we have some good choices with morant and maybe RJ gets more love.
Culver showed well in the tournament. Now we up to 4 solid picks? Read year after year how "Weak the draft is" and then a few later we get the truth. Sometimes its found at 14th with Donovan Mitchell, or at the top mistaking Darko as the better choice.
D'angelo Russell was a bust until he became an all star now. Jalil Okafor was the darling for months and he busted bad.

There are no obvious picks other than Zion. Trading down only makes sense if others value the pick and the team trading values the players suspected to be available. Otherwise its jut a nice concept. Ainge valued Tatum over Fultz. That's how shyt gets done.

MooK
Member: #3320

4/29/2019  2:48 PM
If not Zion I think Deandre Hunter should be the guy. High bbiq, tough defender who can guard multiple positions, and a great outside shooter. I also think he has untapped playmaking potential that was restricted playing in Tony Bennett's system. I could see him becoming a Danny Granger type of player and if we luck out on KD and Kyrie he'd fit perfect
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
4/29/2019  2:52 PM
MooK wrote:If not Zion I think Deandre Hunter should be the guy. High bbiq, tough defender who can guard multiple positions, and a great outside shooter. I also think he has untapped playmaking potential that was restricted playing in Tony Bennett's system. I could see him becoming a Danny Granger type of player and if we luck out on KD and Kyrie he'd fit perfect

i think he’s going 4th or 5th so i’m glad to hear you be so high on him.

MooK
Member: #3320

4/29/2019  7:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 4/29/2019  7:59 PM
Marv wrote:
MooK wrote:If not Zion I think Deandre Hunter should be the guy. High bbiq, tough defender who can guard multiple positions, and a great outside shooter. I also think he has untapped playmaking potential that was restricted playing in Tony Bennett's system. I could see him becoming a Danny Granger type of player and if we luck out on KD and Kyrie he'd fit perfect

i think he’s going 4th or 5th so i’m glad to hear you be so high on him.

Yeah, he may not have the ceiling of Ja Morant or RJ Barrett but I think he has a higher floor as well. He's already a consistent long-range shooter and it would not surprise me to see him round out his offensive game a little more and become a borderline All-Star or better. Maybe a late bloomer like a Pascal Siakam type. If we wind up with the second pick and an AD trade is not on the table then I'd trade down for him.

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
5/2/2019  10:47 AM
Countdown to lottery:
12 days...
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
5/3/2019  11:10 PM
Reddit’s draft sub is amazing. The Stepien is still great but Hoy and Zwicker are working for nba teams now and there isn’t as much content.
*Hoy has an internship.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
The 2019 Draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy