[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The 2019 Draft
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

3/30/2019  10:10 AM
On the outside chance that we draft Zion. It would be interesting to see which FAs consider this the tipping point in deciding where they would like to play. Some might not want to be overshadowed by a rookie. Some might have their rings, and wouldn't feel threatened.

Looking at some of the tweets from stars, elite players, they're caught up in the hype as well. Mainly because there is so much substance to Williamson's game. Doesnt hurt that Zion is known for making players better. If he was just a highlight reel, doubt he would move the needle enough to factor into their decision.

Barrett is looking good. Will sting to see Zion go to another team. Still, a top 3 pick would be the best we would do since 85'. Not bad. 4 or 5, and Im blaming the tank brigade, lol.

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
3/30/2019  12:40 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

He'll go top 4 and we'll end up with the 5th pick

Displays a high level of craft, IQ, feel for the game etc etc. Good build as well. This team def needs players like him.

Zion
Morant
Barrett
Culver
Reddish

Top 5 isn't so bad. But don't know if Reddish is a fit here though. As this team needs a dog(high motor play maker) or 2 or 3.

5th pick is trash- if we got the 1st we could have Zion. If we get 2 or 3 we could get Barrett or Morant or trade them in an Ad trade. 4th we could get Culver who'd be a nice fit with KD and Kyrie. 5th,im struggling to see much upside other than a flawed role player.

smackeddog
3/30/2019  12:58 PM
What are peoples opinions on Darius Garland?
fwk00
Member: #6048

3/31/2019  1:04 PM
martin wrote:

I have to agree.

I think the Duke players not named Zion are highly overrated. I think that top five really needs to be recalibrated. Bleach out the hype.

BTW: Admiral Schofield should be on our radar. Really liked the game in his game.

smackeddog
3/31/2019  1:23 PM
There was a podcast on The Ringer, in which they were praising Brandon Clarke- haven't heard much about him up until now, but here's a bit more info (though they said he had improved a lot as the season went on):

PLUSES

Impressively logged as many blocks as missed shots during the regular season at Gonzaga.

Explosive leaper with soft hands to catch tough passes, and the ambidexterity and spatial awareness to finish in a crowd.

Good decision-maker. The type of player who plays “good to great” basketball by grabbing a rebound and locating an open teammate instead of forcing up a careless, contested shot.

Handles the ball well for his size; he can take rebounds and go coast-to-coast. He’s mostly a straight-line driver but likes using a spin move to his right.

Sets solid screens, and has good feel and timing on dives to the rim; with his passing and dribbling skill, he could be a weapon on the short roll.

Strong indicators that he will develop a perimeter game: touch on floaters, post fadeaways, hook shots, and midrange jumpers.

Plays his ass off. Makes the extra effort, attacks the offensive boards, dives for loose balls, and hustles back in transition.

Excellent shot blocker. He’s a fast-twitch leaper who perfectly times his jumps and uses the rule of verticality to alter shots without fouling.

Projects well as a pick-and-roll defender. Has the agility to hedge and help, and the recovery speed, anticipation, and switchability to take on wings and guards.

MINUSES

Unless he develops a spot-up 3, he’ll need to play like a center on offense, which could create matchup issues for his team.

Ideal role is small-ball 5, but a lack of length and strength will hinder his ability to defend larger elite bigs like Joel Embiid and Karl-Anthony Towns.

Underwhelming defensive rebounder given his athletic gifts.

Shooting upside is only theoretical: He overhauled his form after transferring from San Jose State to Gonzaga, but he still has rigid release and shoots a mediocre percentage from the line.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com

smackeddog
3/31/2019  1:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 3/31/2019  1:41 PM
Darius Garland may be worth checking out as he has been injured most of the season and so may be flying under the radar:

I'm desperate to find a player to be happy picking with the 5th pick!

smackeddog
3/31/2019  1:44 PM
Ha, came across this video while searching- who knew Kawhi could talk this much?! What happened to him?!:

GustavBahler

3/31/2019  7:14 PM
Great game. Zion looked gassed in the second half. Was hoping to see more Zion/Barrett. Curious now who will go 2nd in the draft.
Cartman718
Member: #1694

3/31/2019  8:11 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Great game. Zion looked gassed in the second half. Was hoping to see more Zion/Barrett. Curious now who will go 2nd in the draft.

This is why I keep saying I don't see anything special at NBA level with Barrett as well, not just Reddish.

Last couple of months, Zion has had to have a monster game in order for them to win. Remember the stat lines of 9 of 9, 12 of 12 etc...Today he goes for a human 10 of 19. Barrett goes for 7 of 17....Reddish 2 of 8.

Sure Zion had 2 assists 5 TOs, but at least he made up for it with his offensive rebounding, steals and overall played a complete game.

Barrett had 7 TOs...by himself....The team had 14 assists and 17 TOs. Zion is not supposed to be your leading steals guy, but he was with 3. Also led the team with 3 blocks. Barrett and Reddish combined for 1 steal and 2 blocks.

Today Barrett shot well from 3, but overall...less than 32% from beyond the arc. That's less than THJr in college, folks. THJr's last year was a healthy > 37% from 3 point range in college.

So he is
- turnover prone
- defense sub par
- terrible outside shooting
- the change in speed and direction is to his benefit but has not had undeniable success with that (like Lance Stephenson)
- rebounds decent for a forward but not elite
- decent assists for a forward, but not elite for a point forward (which is what he is with the ball in his hands all the time)
- FG% is less than Jarrett Culver's in ALL categories, i.e. takes bad shots compared to Culver.

Why is he deserving of overall #2 or #3? He does all these little things, but nothing at an elite level. People expected him to kind of take over in college, but he hasn't been unstoppable.

Of course Reddish is worse, but the question you have to ask yourself is...how much would Reddish flourish if Barrett was not on that team. There's only so many minutes/shots to go around at forward. Maybe Reddish would have shown some elite shooting at a consistent basis if he was given the opportunity?

He has definitely shown he has range from deep. Barrett can get hot like THJr, but unfortunately he can also get cold like him.
Same is true of Reddish, and he does like his open 3 pointers (who wouldn't), but at least with him, THIS is the potential shooting...

No to Barrett please and trade down to get Reddish if you have to make that choice.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/31/2019  8:24 PM
Cartman718 wrote:No to Barrett please and trade down to get Reddish if you have to make that choice.

this would make me run scared

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
3/31/2019  8:25 PM
^^ one of my pet peeves for NBA media when they post stats... why do they still post FG% instead of eFG%? Just odd in the advanced stat world and they should know better by now.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
3/31/2019  8:30 PM
smackeddog wrote:Ha, came across this video while searching- who knew Kawhi could talk this much?! What happened to him?!:

I remember hearing him on the Jim Rome show right after he was drafted. I think Rome may have commented on how reserved he was but it was a long time ago.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Cartman718

3/31/2019  8:43 PM
martin wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:No to Barrett please and trade down to get Reddish if you have to make that choice.

this would make me run scared

He's a knock down shooter on open shots. Barrett's percentage is worse from outside.
Reddish does not play in traffic much. And he's terrible when he chooses to pass into traffic or with less than 10 seconds on the shotclock etc, but when you ask him to shoot and not do more, he's good. Maturity can help some of the TO issues.

I am not saying Reddish should go top 5, but assuming Zion,Ja = 1,2, then I would absolutely trade..

#3 for Reddish plus another projected top 8 pick in 2020.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
GustavBahler

3/31/2019  10:24 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Great game. Zion looked gassed in the second half. Was hoping to see more Zion/Barrett. Curious now who will go 2nd in the draft.

This is why I keep saying I don't see anything special at NBA level with Barrett as well, not just Reddish.

Last couple of months, Zion has had to have a monster game in order for them to win. Remember the stat lines of 9 of 9, 12 of 12 etc...Today he goes for a human 10 of 19. Barrett goes for 7 of 17....Reddish 2 of 8.

Sure Zion had 2 assists 5 TOs, but at least he made up for it with his offensive rebounding, steals and overall played a complete game.

Barrett had 7 TOs...by himself....The team had 14 assists and 17 TOs. Zion is not supposed to be your leading steals guy, but he was with 3. Also led the team with 3 blocks. Barrett and Reddish combined for 1 steal and 2 blocks.

Today Barrett shot well from 3, but overall...less than 32% from beyond the arc. That's less than THJr in college, folks. THJr's last year was a healthy > 37% from 3 point range in college.

So he is
- turnover prone
- defense sub par
- terrible outside shooting
- the change in speed and direction is to his benefit but has not had undeniable success with that (like Lance Stephenson)
- rebounds decent for a forward but not elite
- decent assists for a forward, but not elite for a point forward (which is what he is with the ball in his hands all the time)
- FG% is less than Jarrett Culver's in ALL categories, i.e. takes bad shots compared to Culver.

Why is he deserving of overall #2 or #3? He does all these little things, but nothing at an elite level. People expected him to kind of take over in college, but he hasn't been unstoppable.

Of course Reddish is worse, but the question you have to ask yourself is...how much would Reddish flourish if Barrett was not on that team. There's only so many minutes/shots to go around at forward. Maybe Reddish would have shown some elite shooting at a consistent basis if he was given the opportunity?

He has definitely shown he has range from deep. Barrett can get hot like THJr, but unfortunately he can also get cold like him.
Same is true of Reddish, and he does like his open 3 pointers (who wouldn't), but at least with him, THIS is the potential shooting...

No to Barrett please and trade down to get Reddish if you have to make that choice.

Dont believe Barrett will slip past 3. Had some big games without Zion. Reddish kind of scares me. Looks like a feast or famine type player. Would need the PG situation sorted out first if we were to draft him IMO. Could see DSJr having a lob party with Reddish and Mitch.

Barrett still can make a case for himself at the combine. I wouldn't be disappointed if we took him at 3, would take Morant at 2.

Bretrobert1
Member: #6028

4/1/2019  10:40 AM
Being a die hard Purdue fan, I've posted in the past about players I like/dislike from an NBA standpoint currently in the Big 10. Purdue is a program that doesn't get many 5 star 1 & done recruits; but this year they had an interesting prospect. Carsen Edwards averaged right around 24 ppg this year as a JR and lead Purdue to a share of the Big 10 title. This was a team at the beginning of the year had no business winning the Big 10 or making the Elite 8.

In the NCAA tournament he averaged 34.5 ppg over 4 games, including 42 on both Villanova and Virginia. Virginia plays the best defense in the country year in and out.

I've attached Carsen's Elite 8 performance against Virginia. It's one of the most impressive individual NCAA tournament showings I've ever seen.

"I love you guys." -Norman Dale
martin
USA
4/1/2019  11:13 AM
smackeddog
4/1/2019  1:06 PM
martin wrote:

Lets go for the 4 losses then!

smackeddog
4/1/2019  3:09 PM
Bulls are tanking hard, I think we’ll win both games against them, but hopefully we lose the rest
Cartman718

4/3/2019  12:54 PM
Let’s hope suns n Bulls gms think the same way
Cartman718

4/3/2019  1:05 PM
The 2019 Draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy