[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The 2019 Draft
Author Thread
Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

2/5/2019  11:03 PM
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Member: #6197

2/6/2019  9:31 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/6/2019  11:27 AM
I watched the Duke BC game last night (back and forth with Knicks). Admittedly, I am not a college hoops expert but some takeaways

Zion didn't lose many if any rebounds; he had a nose for the ball and if it was in his vicinity he seemed to lose [edit -- oops, win] every time. Played very confident and poised (for the most part; there were a few instances where he was clearly targeting highlight reel stuff)

I don't know his exact measurables but he is big in the lower body and clearly has a very strong core.

Some concerns (more because I can't help myself from trying to see both sides than that these are huge issues [which i dont think they are]). (1) He's not rock hard. Clearly powerful but definitely a layer of fat in there too. Would like to know the back story on that. There's clearly opportunity for improvement, and the issue is what is he doing via self-motivation to get there. (2) He's left handed (I didn't know that before). Again there may be an opportunity there too, as it's a different look, but we should also consider that especially with a college schedule (e.g., not seeing teams/players repeatedly) this gives him a slight advantage that may not translate as much to the pros, as teams and players get used to that. (3) man-child fears. Sometimes you have Shaq or Barkley, other times you get Robert Traylor.

off topic from Zion: Ky Bowman can play. Fast, strong for his size, under control etc. Major issue is his size, but whoever gets past him being 6'1" (who knows if he's truly that) might find themselves a player

(5)(5)
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/6/2019  9:47 AM
Chandler wrote:I watched the Duke BC game last night (back and forth with Knicks). Admittedly, I am not a college hoops expert but some takeaways

Zion didn't lose many if any rebounds; he had a nose for the ball and if it was in his vicinity he seemed to lose every time. Played very confident and poised (for the most part; there were a few instances where he was clearly targeting highlight reel stuff)

I don't know his exact measurables but he is big in the lower body and clearly has a very strong core.

Some concerns (more because I can't help myself from trying to see both sides than that these are huge issues [which i dont think they are]). (1) He's not rock hard. Clearly powerful but definitely a layer of fat in there too. Would like to know the back story on that. There's clearly opportunity for improvement, and the issue is what is he doing via self-motivation to get there. (2) He's left handed (I didn't know that before). Again there may be an opportunity there too, as it's a different look, but we should also consider that especially with a college schedule (e.g., not seeing teams/players repeatedly) this gives him a slight advantage that may not translate as much to the pros, as teams and players get used to that. (3) man-child fears. Sometimes you have Shaq or Barkley, other times you get Robert Traylor.

off topic from Zion: Ky Bowman can play. Fast, strong for his size, under control etc. Major issue is his size, but whoever gets past him being 6'1" (who knows if he's truly that) might find themselves a player

what did u think of barrett?

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/6/2019  10:14 AM
VCoug wrote:
Nalod wrote:Picks have risk. Few are sure fire stars. Magic and LEbron were rare. Jordan was not expected to be a goat.
Zion is not a finished product. He’ll have to calm down and pace himself. No different. Zion will bet stronger too. NOt a finished product.
Can’t peg him as “the next....”

You're saying nothing here. No one coming out of the draft is a finished product especially now that most players don't stay in college for 4 years.

Your correct, Im saying you can't compare Zion because he is not finished but he is being compared.

Chandler
Member: #6197

2/6/2019  11:28 AM
Marv wrote:
Chandler wrote:I watched the Duke BC game last night (back and forth with Knicks). Admittedly, I am not a college hoops expert but some takeaways

Zion didn't lose many if any rebounds; he had a nose for the ball and if it was in his vicinity he seemed to lose every time. Played very confident and poised (for the most part; there were a few instances where he was clearly targeting highlight reel stuff)

what did u think of barrett?

he and is it Cam(?), looked the part of NBA players, but honestly the two who stood out by a lot IMO was Zion and Ky for BC

(5)(5)
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

2/6/2019  11:29 AM
Nalod wrote:
VCoug wrote:
Nalod wrote:Picks have risk. Few are sure fire stars. Magic and LEbron were rare. Jordan was not expected to be a goat.
Zion is not a finished product. He’ll have to calm down and pace himself. No different. Zion will bet stronger too. NOt a finished product.
Can’t peg him as “the next....”

You're saying nothing here. No one coming out of the draft is a finished product especially now that most players don't stay in college for 4 years.

Your correct, Im saying you can't compare Zion because he is not finished but he is being compared.

He’s a generational talent, the last time the Knicks were great was with a generational talent in Ewing.

The scary part, zion isn’t a finished product yet not even close. We would be so lucky to get Zion and put him in a position to play with future hof players like Durant and kyrie.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/6/2019  3:42 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/can-zion-williamson-live-lebron-level-hype-nba-scouts-break-duke-phenoms-game-234152148.html
smackeddog
Member: #883
2/6/2019  4:41 PM
How many of us will need to be sedated on the 14th May?
VCoug
Member: #1406

2/7/2019  10:03 AM
https://watchstadium.com/news/defending-zion-williamson-12-players-describe-facing-dukes-freshman-star-02-05-2019/
Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Cartman718
Member: #1694

2/9/2019  10:48 PM
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
VCoug

2/10/2019  11:13 AM
Cartman718 wrote:

Lol, I was just coming here to post this. Dude is so ****ing good.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Welpee
Member: #6239

2/10/2019  7:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/10/2019  7:16 PM

Zion didn't lose many if any rebounds; he had a nose for the ball and if it was in his vicinity he seemed to lose [edit -- oops, win] every time. Played very confident and poised (for the most part; there were a few instances where he was clearly targeting highlight reel stuff)

I guess the main upside with Zion would eventually be the Phoenix version of Barkley. The downside would be if he ever gets unmotivated and lets the weight creep up on him and he becomes a shorter version of the Cleveland Shawn Kemp. The likely middle ground is probably some version of Blake Griffin (or a more athletic Draymond Green) and the question is does that move the needle for your franchise? Is he a guy who would just put up nice numbers or is he a franchise altering player?

I've never been good at projecting college talent so I don't have a clue what the Knicks should do? Maybe go the Danny Ainge route and trade down and acquire extra assets? I don't know. I just don't see a "build your franchise around him" talent when I watched Zion play. He'll make some remarkable plays but would he win big for you?

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/10/2019  8:06 PM
Welpee wrote:

I guess the main upside with Zion would eventually be the Phoenix version of Barkley. The downside would be if he ever gets unmotivated and lets the weight creep up on him and he becomes a shorter version of the Cleveland Shawn Kemp. The likely middle ground is probably some version of Blake Griffin (or a more athletic Draymond Green) and the question is does that move the needle for your franchise? Is he a guy who would just put up nice numbers or is he a franchise altering player?

I've never been good at projecting college talent so I don't have a clue what the Knicks should do? Maybe go the Danny Ainge route and trade down and acquire extra assets? I don't know. I just don't see a "build your franchise around him" talent when I watched Zion play. He'll make some remarkable plays but would he win big for you?

Barkley was better in Philly, he just had a better team in Phoenix. Blake is not a bad comparison because like Zion, he was a man amongst boys in college. Zion is a generational athlete and you do not want to be the team that passed on him. This draft is not very deep and after 3, it's a crap shoot so no way am I trading down especially if we land in the top 3.

VCoug

2/10/2019  8:57 PM
Uptown wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Barkley was better in Philly, he just had a better team in Phoenix. Blake is not a bad comparison because like Zion, he was a man amongst boys in college. Zion is a generational athlete and you do not want to be the team that passed on him. This draft is not very deep and after 3, it's a crap shoot so no way am I trading down especially if we land in the top 3.

Yeah, this isn't 2017 where there was a debate on 1 and the top prospects all had major questions marks. Zion is far and away better than everyone else in this draft; trading out of 1 for anything less than a haul of picks or Anthony Davis is a fireable offense and I don't think there's a realistic trade package that I would accept.

Welpee

2/10/2019  9:55 PM
VCoug wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Yeah, this isn't 2017 where there was a debate on 1 and the top prospects all had major questions marks. Zion is far and away better than everyone else in this draft; trading out of 1 for anything less than a haul of picks or Anthony Davis is a fireable offense and I don't think there's a realistic trade package that I would accept.

Here's the question, Andrew Wiggins was clearly the top player when he came out. Doesn't mean he's a franchise player. Being the clear #1 player in a draft doesn't make you a player a team should build around. Is Zion a player you build around? Do you really see Zion being on AD's level coming out of college in terms of their NBA potential? I just don't know.
VCoug

2/10/2019  10:29 PM
Welpee wrote:
VCoug wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Here's the question, Andrew Wiggins was clearly the top player when he came out. Doesn't mean he's a franchise player. Being the clear #1 player in a draft doesn't make you a player a team should build around. Is Zion a player you build around? Do you really see Zion being on AD's level coming out of college in terms of their NBA potential? I just don't know.

I don't think Wiggins was the clearcut #1 that year and he definitely wouldn't have gone first if Embiid had been healthy.

I absolutely believe Zion is a player to build around. He's going to be a dominant scorer and rebounder with good to great handles, passing ability, and help defense in the NBA. He's absolutely the best prospect since AD and I have no doubts about his ability to succeed in the pros.

Welpee

2/10/2019  10:32 PM
VCoug wrote:
Welpee wrote:
VCoug wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Welpee wrote:

I don't think Wiggins was the clearcut #1 that year and he definitely wouldn't have gone first if Embiid had been healthy.

I absolutely believe Zion is a player to build around. He's going to be a dominant scorer and rebounder with good to great handles, passing ability, and help defense in the NBA. He's absolutely the best prospect since AD and I have no doubts about his ability to succeed in the pros.

I hope you're right because I think the fix will be in for the Knicks to get that first pick.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

2/11/2019  8:29 AM
VCoug wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

Lol, I was just coming here to post this. Dude is so ****ing good.

That is unreal. Reminds me of Vince Carter in college. Yeah, that extra weight is slowing him down, lol.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/11/2019  12:12 PM
Wow!!!!
Not sure what this kid is. I get AD is great but its the "What ifs" that spin in my head. "What if" he is better than AD in two years? Does it make sense to sign Durant if Durants timeline is to win a chip right away? our core won't be ready so fast.
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
2/11/2019  12:28 PM
Nalod wrote:Wow!!!!
Not sure what this kid is. I get AD is great but its the "What ifs" that spin in my head. "What if" he is better than AD in two years? Does it make sense to sign Durant if Durants timeline is to win a chip right away? our core won't be ready so fast.

Agree 100% - if we land a Zion or a really good/possibly centerpiece player in the draft - that probably won't mix well with adding 2 max vets that are here to team up for a championship run. They will be the focus of the team and likely conclude they need more experienced vets to help them win. So we'll end up giving away much of our young players for Shumperts and similar-type players as a result.

Why not draft smart and develop these young guys? I'm not even a fan of Knox as an example, but think he deserves a chance to see what he can be. Durant and Kyrie or another max guy probably gives us a window of 2-3 years before then having to start over. What happens with our 4-5 talented young guys who don't play that much and are up for new contracts? I suggest we pass on anybody over 29 (so Kawhi could work if he was interested) and keep developing our young guys. I'd rather see what Mitch Robinson becomes in two years simply because we never actually do that. We always sacrifice the young guys to go after the older players.

The 2019 Draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy