USA
11/27/2018  12:09 PM
Marv wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:I am not sure what was expected against a good defensive team. They defend the pick and roll pretty well so there's one-on-one expected off the pick. Nothing you can do there. The number of assists and hockey assists being down would typically be a concern, but against a good team like Memphis, it's actually a good thing.

This is because the more time you take in a shot clock against a grind and half court team, the more time they have to get their defense set and ready to match whatever you throw at them.

The key to beating such teams is taking shots early in the shotclock before they have time to get set. If it's 1 pass, 2 passes, 3 passes...doesn't matter. You have to break them by playing SSOL.

Good take. Was interesting as we kept taking it to the rim over and over no matter what. They blocked a lot of shots down the stretch but we also got to the FT line. They did not switch/double and we did not kick it outside much.
I also get why that would not be a good game for frank to get big minutes in.

And lets not even think that Fiz wanted that game badly!!! First meeting with old team IN THEIR HOUSE!! yeah, he wanted that one!!

Yes, Fiz wanted that win and that's probably why he gave more mins to the vets. But to his credit, he's been doing that over the last 3 game winning streak.

The problem is simple.....NY doesn't know how to rebuild. As soon as the losing piles up (which we just experienced), Fiz will get loads of pressure from fans, the media and Dolan....since losing affects ticket sales. Fiz (like every coach b4 him) is stuck between a rock and a hard place, as a knicks coach.

He has to work on player development with the rookies, but at the same time, he has to show that he's a winning coach, but at the same time, he needs to lose enough games to be in the running for a high draft pick. Impossible task to achieve. It's a setup to fail.

This is why it takes a special personality to coach the Knicks. I think Fiz is that guy. He has thick skin and he has an agenda that he's sticking to.

In my mind, I believe he's trying to figure out how he can get his rookies and youngsters more playing time, so they can get some experience. But he rather they have winning experience vs losing. It's a balance act thats hard to master, and might be an impossible task.

We either going to suck so bad, Fiz will be 1 step out the door and he get a high draft pick.

Or Fiz plays to win, rookies don't develop and we either miss the playoffs or get swept.

Both scenarios looks bad. So I'm not sure what he should do. Me personally, I rather play the rookies long minutes and let them learn on the job. But I'm sure Dolan and the media will have a different agenda that changes every week.

Both Mills and Perry have gone on record to say that they are not with the losing/tanking

I don't believe in tanking either. What happens if we ended up losing a couple more games in 2015 and drafted Russell or Okafor? What happens if we land #1 in 2017 and draft the consensus #1 pick Fultz. Or 2014 take Wiggins or Parker? I believe you compete and let the chips fall where they may.

exactly..

Nothing good comes out of tanking, coaches get fired, gms get fired, players get traded or not brought back

Then your next season has a rebuild label on it, and that has been our label for the past 5 yrs.

In fact since woodson was fired 5 yrs ago, Every yr is yr one of a rebuild and some folks don't even realize that.

i believe in it. give your young ones a lot of run, find out who's a keeper, build familiarity with one another on the court and pick up best player possible in the draft when a major injury impacts that year's viability for the playoffs. sure worked out for san antonio when they got to pair tim duncan with david robinson. sure could work out for the knicks if they get to pair zion williamson with kristaps porzingis.

Pitino then Pres and coach of Celtics tanked hard that year and came up with no Duncan.
no. 2 pick nets took KVH.
no. 3 pick Celts took Billups.
Rest was not pretty either.........https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_NBA_draft
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/27/2018  12:23 PM
Marv wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Nalod wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:I am not sure what was expected against a good defensive team. They defend the pick and roll pretty well so there's one-on-one expected off the pick. Nothing you can do there. The number of assists and hockey assists being down would typically be a concern, but against a good team like Memphis, it's actually a good thing.

This is because the more time you take in a shot clock against a grind and half court team, the more time they have to get their defense set and ready to match whatever you throw at them.

The key to beating such teams is taking shots early in the shotclock before they have time to get set. If it's 1 pass, 2 passes, 3 passes...doesn't matter. You have to break them by playing SSOL.

Good take. Was interesting as we kept taking it to the rim over and over no matter what. They blocked a lot of shots down the stretch but we also got to the FT line. They did not switch/double and we did not kick it outside much.

And lets not even think that Fiz wanted that game badly!!! First meeting with old team IN THEIR HOUSE!! yeah, he wanted that one!!

Yes, Fiz wanted that win and that's probably why he gave more mins to the vets. But to his credit, he's been doing that over the last 3 game winning streak.

The problem is simple.....NY doesn't know how to rebuild. As soon as the losing piles up (which we just experienced), Fiz will get loads of pressure from fans, the media and Dolan....since losing affects ticket sales. Fiz (like every coach b4 him) is stuck between a rock and a hard place, as a knicks coach.

He has to work on player development with the rookies, but at the same time, he has to show that he's a winning coach, but at the same time, he needs to lose enough games to be in the running for a high draft pick. Impossible task to achieve. It's a setup to fail.

This is why it takes a special personality to coach the Knicks. I think Fiz is that guy. He has thick skin and he has an agenda that he's sticking to.

In my mind, I believe he's trying to figure out how he can get his rookies and youngsters more playing time, so they can get some experience. But he rather they have winning experience vs losing. It's a balance act thats hard to master, and might be an impossible task.

We either going to suck so bad, Fiz will be 1 step out the door and he get a high draft pick.

Or Fiz plays to win, rookies don't develop and we either miss the playoffs or get swept.

Both scenarios looks bad. So I'm not sure what he should do. Me personally, I rather play the rookies long minutes and let them learn on the job. But I'm sure Dolan and the media will have a different agenda that changes every week.

Both Mills and Perry have gone on record to say that they are not with the losing/tanking

I don't believe in tanking either. What happens if we ended up losing a couple more games in 2015 and drafted Russell or Okafor? What happens if we land #1 in 2017 and draft the consensus #1 pick Fultz. Or 2014 take Wiggins or Parker? I believe you compete and let the chips fall where they may.

exactly..

Nothing good comes out of tanking, coaches get fired, gms get fired, players get traded or not brought back

Then your next season has a rebuild label on it, and that has been our label for the past 5 yrs.

In fact since woodson was fired 5 yrs ago, Every yr is yr one of a rebuild and some folks don't even realize that.

i believe in it. give your young ones a lot of run, find out who's a keeper, build familiarity with one another on the court and pick up best player possible in the draft when a major injury impacts that year's viability for the playoffs. sure worked out for san antonio when they got to pair tim duncan with david robinson. sure could work out for the knicks if they get to pair zion williamson with kristaps porzingis.

but San an drafted timmy and surrounded him with sure fire veterans,elliot, eli, avery, horry, DRob and an elite experience coach and staff.

mean while we would bring in another 19 yr 1 and done prospect and surround him with 20 yrs olds, you think zion and KP would be on the same timeline..

you think an elite FA VET wants to hear the words "rebuilding in process"... yeah just give these guys another 2 to 4 yrs and they'll be ready.

Again I'm not worried about high picks when you look at guys like Mitch and trier, dreymond, butler. you have the same chance of drafting really good players any where in or out of the draft as long as you do your home work.

When you win games mudiay, trey, kanter, thj, noah, ect those guys look good, makes the coach look good, makes the GM look smart..isn't that what you want?

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/27/2018  3:58 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Marv wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Nalod wrote:

exactly..

but San an drafted timmy and surrounded him with sure fire veterans,elliot, eli, avery, horry, DRob and an elite experience coach and staff.

mean while we would bring in another 19 yr 1 and done prospect and surround him with 20 yrs olds, you think zion and KP would be on the same timeline..

you think an elite FA VET wants to hear the words "rebuilding in process"... yeah just give these guys another 2 to 4 yrs and they'll be ready.

Again I'm not worried about high picks when you look at guys like Mitch and trier, dreymond, butler. you have the same chance of drafting really good players any where in or out of the draft as long as you do your home work.

When you win games mudiay, trey, kanter, thj, noah, ect those guys look good, makes the coach look good, makes the GM look smart..isn't that what you want?

Your missing one piece, that some of the San Antonio guys were developed then traded for solid players.
"Trade Fodder" are assets. So basically if your team starts inching its way up, like Philly has, and they messed up on three of their 5 picks over the last few years, they developed Covington and Saric who became Butler.

Since you can't map out the future any better than anyone else nor have any better solutions, why be a dick about it? BTW, nobody here has any input to decide to tank or not.
And since the odds of winning the top spot by tanking has decreased as it has, I doubt knicks have strong interest as did pitino or Spurs oh so many years ago.
Fiz is not saying "tank", he is more interested in developing the team.

The win over Grizz was for Fiz.......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy