[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knick player rankings in ESPN'Real Plus-Minus
Author Thread
Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

11/20/2018  7:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/20/2018  7:56 PM
Knixkik wrote:So based on this we have 3 pretty good players and the rest of the roster terrible players. I guess that sounds about right.

Surprised about Robinson. Not surprised about Frank and Knox, both have been vomit inducing.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
AUTOADVERT
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
11/20/2018  9:24 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:Yikes. Does anyone know how rpm compares to old +/-? It seems just to be a gimmick made to drive traffic to espn.

Would you say that if these guys were on the top of the least, or are you saying this because your in denial.

The last 4 guys on this list are clueless players with talent, but their IQ is so low it doesn't even matter.

Look...I know we suck. I'm just suspicious of numbers with hidden formulas that are put out by companies dependent on people buying into them. You should be too.

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
11/20/2018  9:26 PM
Knixkik wrote:
nykshaknbake wrote:Yikes. Does anyone know how rpm compares to old +/-? It seems just to be a gimmick made to drive traffic to espn.

I think it's mostly for traffic, but one thing we can agree with it on is Hezonja being terrible.

Yeah none of these really contradicts the eye test or stat sheet. But just strange they won't release the formula...its like if people could see that it they would know it was arbitrarily generated.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/20/2018  10:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/20/2018  10:35 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
Knixkik wrote:So based on this we have 3 pretty good players and the rest of the roster terrible players. I guess that sounds about right.

Surprised about Robinson. Not surprised about Frank and Knox, both have been vomit inducing.

Knox has no idea when to shoot, but at least flashes potential. Obviously it's not realistic to expect him to be a positive player at age 19. No 19 year old is ready except Lebron.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

11/21/2018  2:12 PM

Traditional plus/minus is the point differential when a player is either on the floor or on the bench. Take two different examples. The Iverson 76ers. When he was on the bench, how was that offense doing? The Jackson Lakers. When Shaq was sitting, how was the offense doing with Kobe there? There's a lot of context that gets lost here.

RPM accounts for both defensive and offensive efficiency, not just points, looking at every possession a player has during a given season, but again focusing on the last 100 possessions on both the offensive and defensive end respectively. It's a better metric to use to determine a young players value against his rookie contract and what he might give you over the long haul.

The complexity comes in when you have any NBA player being able to impact any given play at any given time. Bernie Williams could only get so many at bats in a game. When he batted, no one else could help him hit the ball. Basketball works much differently. This naturally creates some complex sampling size problems to evaluate.

RPM is not innovative in any way. The basis of it uses core modeling from other systems in place.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/22/2018  5:05 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:No plus minus score should ever be used to compare players across teams. Because a good player on a bad team can be a minus player and a bad player on a good team can be a plus player.
Klay comes in around 300.

Not a huge fan of ESPN RPM.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
11/23/2018  10:07 AM
My eyes tell me that Ntilikina effects the game defensively. He is out there basically running the team on the D. Robinson is affecting shots and what players try to do offensively. They need to continue to grow.

BUrke is an offensive talent as are Trier and Hardaway. Knox has some work to do on both ends, but he is 19, so I am ok with it. He he skills.

Let the team grow. They will be good.

Knick player rankings in ESPN'Real Plus-Minus

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy