Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/15/2018  7:43 AM
We did..
Freak out!!!!!
Magic beat 76ers last nite. Good, more lotto for us. Maybe their new coach is settling them down.
OKC is a very good team with Schroeder as well. After a rough start they are back on track.
WE are not a good team right now. Mitch is raw, Enes don’t play defense, Knox is very much a rookie, Frank is still offensively raw, Mudiay a good back up, Hardaway not alpha option 1, KP on the shelf, Zion still in college and Durant still in GS.
Fiz won’t look good with this roster for a while. KNicks for the first time in DECADES are no panicking and doing it the right way.

Question is are on board or with your little fingers know how to fix this?

AUTOADVERT
Nalod
USA
11/15/2018  7:49 AM
Weird right, Lance goes out and two blow outs. He was not the answer but his absence is notable.
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
11/15/2018  8:25 AM
Nalod wrote:Weird right, Lance goes out and two blow outs. He was not the answer but his absence is notable.

We need to keep Lance on the roster beyond this year because he is our leader and reliable as a 11th man/fill in rotation player.

But we knew what we were signing up for this year;

We only have a handful of players who will stick. Our 3 rookies combined make this year less frustrating.

Knox is showing talent that he just hasn't put together yet. He will. Robinson had 9 blocks the other night and dunks everything. Trier is settling nicely into a 6th man role and can get a decent shot off whenever. These are legit pieces to the big picture.

Hardaway is what he is, but is a scoring needed to take pressure off of KP. Frank plays D which makes his floor high enough to be a rotation player even if the scoring never comes around. Vonleh has been a solid contributor.

Everyone else is unlikely to stick long-term, but this is enough for optimism. Sometime we will look good and hang around, other times we won't.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/15/2018  8:51 AM
Yep...Yep...
We blow it up already.
Now just cleaning the future building area, ground zero cycle of the project.
Setting communication line and plumbing, energy lines and start building some foundation.
It will look ugly for a while and a bunch of fools will cry about partial work done.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

11/15/2018  8:58 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/15/2018  8:58 AM
Nobody like losing BUT most of us knew the deal and most are 100 percent behind the rebuilding plan. The reality is being the youngest team in the league and without our best player for most of the season we were gonna lose a lot of games. Honestly all I want is for the kids to play through their ups/downs, get KP back for at least 15-20 games,grab another high pick, and then gear up for free agency
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/15/2018  9:09 AM
The real question that they are trying to answer is who do they keep this summer?

Is Burke or Mudiay worth keeping, or do you explore other options (like a vet on a min type deal looking to jump on KD's bandwagon to the finals?)

And the only way to answer those questions is to do exactly what Fiz is doing.

I agree - this is the best FO set up we've had since Dolan has been the owner. Hope it lasts.

Chandler
Member: #6197

11/15/2018  10:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/15/2018  10:31 AM
I don't buy the chalk it up to youth excuse. Yes that accounts for certain things, e.g., Adam's tricks on Mitch to seal him off from a rebound

But youth should also mean fresh legs, hunger etc.

We are in a serious rut at the moment and IMHO at the moment we have no idea what we are trying to accomplish on offense or defense, as in zero.

Good coaches know how to extract a player's strengths and hide their weaknesses. Exhibit A on this should be players like Harden and DeRozan who I am certain if they were in a Knick uniform would be one dimensional offensive bums, but with a good organization are superstars. Exhibit B could be someone like Capella who was one dimensional defense. Exhibit C could be Steve Novak under Woodson.

Honestly, every player in the league has flaws including Lebron (e.g., his ego and his coach issues)

Coaches are like chefs, the players are ingredients. Even with the humble egg, some make dried out scrambled eggs and others soufflé's

Our "good" guys are not playing right, and not being put into positions to succeed.

We also need the humility to concede that certain personnel decisions however well intended were not wise. If Hezonja still can't figure it out, let's give that slot and those minutes to someone who might, same too re Burke, and IMHO Mudiay

(5)(5)
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/15/2018  10:47 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/15/2018  10:50 AM
Chandler wrote:I don't buy the chalk it up to youth excuse. Yes that accounts for certain things, e.g., Adam's tricks on Mitch to seal him off from a rebound

We are in a serious rut at the moment and IMHO at the moment we have no idea what we are trying to accomplish on offense or defense, as in zero.

Good coaches know how to extract a player's strengths and hide their weaknesses. Exhibit A on this should be players like Harden and DeRozan who I am certain if they were in a Knick uniform would be one dimensional offensive bums, but with a good organization are superstars. Exhibit B could be someone like Capella who was one dimensional defense. Exhibit C could be Steve Novak under Woodson.

Honestly, every player in the league has flaws including Lebron (e.g., his ego and his coach issues)

Coaches are like chefs, the players are ingredients. Even with the humble egg, some make dried out scrambled eggs and others soufflé's

Our "good" guys are not playing right, and not being put into positions to succeed.

We also need the humility to concede that certain personnel decisions however well intended were not wise. If Hezonja still can't figure it out, let's give that slot and those minutes to someone who might, same too re Burke, and IMHO Mudiay

100% agree

I like fiz, but he maybe like the rest of the coaches we have encountered, A GOOD ASSISTANT.

The fact that our last 3 coaches(Fiz,JH, FISHER) have had very little to no HEAD coaching experience, says a lot about MILLs, although JH and fisher was more on phil

Also, Mills was well aware (even after perry and mills stated) that you should never put together a squad as young and as inexperience as these guys are and expect development to progress.

You cant win with young players because they don't how, they don't really care as much, and it's so easy for them to lose confidence.

Young guys will always fall back on bad habits.

No leadership, No legit PG, and no worth while veterans, will get you no where fast..

Fiz game plan is being executed by a bunch of clueless cast off players who have a ton of bad habits, and low confidence.

Waiving Noah without at least seeing what kind of impact he could of had was pretty stupid. If kanter goes down, all we have is Mitch and kornet..really

ES
arkrud
USA
11/15/2018  10:55 AM
Chandler wrote:I don't buy the chalk it up to youth excuse. Yes that accounts for certain things, e.g., Adam's tricks on Mitch to seal him off from a rebound

Who are those who might?
Harden and DeRozan are supper-stars.
When you have those you focus on building team around them the way their strength will be maximized and weaknesses reduced.
We have non of that. KP can be a candidate when he is back depending on how he will recover.
Personnel decisions are based on available assets, cap space, and educated guesses.
Knicks are still beggars not choosers and this will not change soon.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
arkrud
USA
11/15/2018  10:59 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

100% agree

I like fiz, but he maybe like the rest of the coaches we have encountered, A GOOD ASSISTANT.

The fact that our last 3 coaches(Fiz,JH, FISHER) have had very little to no HEAD coaching experience, says a lot about MILLs, although JH and fisher was more on phil

Also, Mills was well aware (even after perry and mills stated) that you should never put together a squad as young and as inexperience as these guys are and expect development to progress.

You cant win with young players because they don't how, they don't really care as much, and it's so easy for them to lose confidence.

No leadership, No legit PG, and no worth while veterans, will get you no where fast..

Fiz game plan is being executed by a bunch of clueless cast off players who have a ton of bad habits, and low confidence.

Waiving Noah without at least seeing what kind of impact he could of had was pretty stupid. If kanter goes down, all we have is Mitch and kornet..really

Fiz is development coach.
He is under evaluation the same way as players.
He given the task to develop players, establish culture of accountability, put a foundation.
He was not tasked to win more games, get to playoffs, and do other impossible nonsense.
If he will not be good enough for the team when we will have something to win with it will be another coach hired.
We have very lengthy process in front of us before this team will be able to seriously compete.

JamesKPolk
Member: #4093

11/15/2018  11:00 AM

Aren't you the same guy who advocated for Jeff Hornacek?

Let's give Fizdale a chance with a real roster before we judge.

There are something he doesn't do well right now, but any coach can look exponentially better when they have better players on the roster. This is the youngest roster in the league. I'm sure there was someone saying the same about Brett Brown in Philly. Then everything came together.

"Peace, plenty, and contentment reign throughout our borders, and our beloved country presents a sublime moral spectacle to the world." - James K Polk
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

11/15/2018  11:07 AM
This year is about developing we need to put frank back in the starting lineup. Mudiay is gone after this year, Vonleh gone,Kanter gone, Burke gone let’s play the kids that are the future.

Mitch
Knox
Zo
Thjr
Frank

The rest can eat A S S

MS
Member: #724
11/15/2018  11:10 AM
Is Lance Thomas really that important? The team seems to have given up recently and this happened a couple of years back. His impact maybe greater than ever expected.

I don't know what we are doing with Mudiay honestly. We should just cut the guy, he's played well, but anyone who isn't in the future plan we need to move on from. Whatever you can get for Kanter get it.

We need to keep losing and play, Trier, Frank, Knox, Robinson, Dotson, Voleah, Hardaway and mix Lee in there once he gets back. This team only wins if these guys develop and show proof of concept. I don't think we are that bad honestly if KP comes back the activity he will open up will make everyone's lives so much easier.

Chandler

11/15/2018  11:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/15/2018  11:29 AM
JamesKPolk wrote:

Aren't you the same guy who advocated for Jeff Hornacek?

Let's give Fizdale a chance with a real roster before we judge.

There are something he doesn't do well right now, but any coach can look exponentially better when they have better players on the roster. This is the youngest roster in the league. I'm sure there was someone saying the same about Brett Brown in Philly. Then everything came together.

sorry I was not clear. I am not advocating fire Fizdale. There are for sure certain things I like about him.

Having said that, the first step in fixing a problem is identifying it. Personally, just like we might want a veteran leader to provide some stability and wisdom, I think he needs something like that on his bench. A lot of great coaches have benefitted from great assistants who truly own either the offense or defense. P.Jackson, Kerr, D'Antoni.

One side note: FWIW Hornacek's 2017 team's stats were better on offense AND defense than we are at the moment (ugly fact; early in the season). Mills, Perry, and Fizz have to be thinking about that and fixing things

(5)(5)
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/15/2018  11:39 AM
arkrud wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

100% agree

Fiz is development coach.
He is under evaluation the same way as players.
He given the task to develop players, establish culture of accountability, put a foundation.
He was not tasked to win more games, get to playoffs, and do other impossible nonsense.
If he will not be good enough for the team when we will have something to win with it will be another coach hired.
We have very lengthy process in front of us before this team will be able to seriously compete.

Fiz goals are the same as was for JH, get the players to play hard, defend, and you want to see improvement every game from your young players

Is any of that happening.

If those things were happening, you are going to win you fair share of games, instead we are getting embarrass left and right, guys are giving up, no ones playing hard, and definitely not smart.

There hasn't been a mandate for winning as since mike woodson,

ES
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
11/15/2018  12:01 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

100% agree

To state that Fiz at this point is only a good assistant is ridiculous. Brad Stevens, who I think is one if not the best coach in the NBA , 1st yr with the Celtics record was 25-57. He had much better players on that team than we do. We may not see it the last 2 games but the Knicks are hustling and playing better defense than I have seen a Knick team do in many yrs. We need to be patient. I guarantee this team will be better as the yr progresses. Fiz is a good young coach who we need to give him time here.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
Chandler

11/15/2018  12:12 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/15/2018  12:13 PM
BigRedDog wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

100% agree

To state that Fiz at this point is only a good assistant is ridiculous. Brad Stevens, who I think is one if not the best coach in the NBA , 1st yr with the Celtics record was 25-57. He had much better players on that team than we do. We may not see it the last 2 games but the Knicks are hustling and playing better defense than I have seen a Knick team do in many yrs. We need to be patient. I guarantee this team will be better as the yr progresses. Fiz is a good young coach who we need to give him time here.

I agree with this to a point especially that Fizz deserves time.

I live in Boston. their record stunk but you could see certain principles on O and especially on D. In a funny way there's a parallel to Marcus Smart (picked 6 IIRC) and Frank. Tough defense at the point but offense was frustrating

Regarding this year, I agree re hustle and optimism about the players, but the stats say are defensive efficiency was better last year than this year (so to was offensive)

having said all of that, the big mantra is accountability. This should apply to players for sure, but so too for front office and coach

(5)(5)
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
11/15/2018  12:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/15/2018  12:27 PM
Chandler wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

100% agree

I agree with this to a point especially that Fizz deserves time.

I live in Boston. their record stunk but you could see certain principles on O and especially on D. In a funny way there's a parallel to Marcus Smart (picked 6 IIRC) and Frank. Tough defense at the point but offense was frustrating

Regarding this year, I agree re hustle and optimism about the players, but the stats say are defensive efficiency was better last year than this year (so to was offensive)

having said all of that, the big mantra is accountability. This should apply to players for sure, but so too for front office and coach

You really can't compare last yr to this esp at this point. Last yr KP was a MVP candidate , Jack was playing well , so was Lee,etc. I thought Hornacek was terrible esp with the younger players and esp bad in the 2nd half with regards to the future of this team going for meaningless wins.

As far as accountability for the coach and FO, I am ok with a total rebuild. I think Perry is doing great going younger and more athletic and I see the hustle of the players which reflects on the coach. Its not going to be pretty at times but it will help us in the long run.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
Nalod
USA
11/15/2018  12:50 PM
Give Fiz more time? 14 games in and we are being critical of him? Article posted on UK page indicates good reasons why team is struggling. Lance out, Trier reverting to the reason he was not drafted, Frank might have shoulder strains (his shot does look awful) Knox hype was premature, Hardaway does not pass (Blind to Frank). IN defense to frank, he gets no good looks unless he is outside the three.......and Mitch is raw. I mean he was schooled last night. No raw athletic unless bigger than that mammal could have much success. Adam's has improved some nice fundamentals to his game that made Mitch look bad. This is what building a team is about.
Not every fan has the stomach for this.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/15/2018  1:23 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/15/2018  1:24 PM
Nalod wrote:Give Fiz more time? 14 games in and we are being critical of him? Article posted on UK page indicates good reasons why team is struggling. Lance out, Trier reverting to the reason he was not drafted, Frank might have shoulder strains (his shot does look awful) Knox hype was premature, Hardaway does not pass (Blind to Frank). IN defense to frank, he gets no good looks unless he is outside the three.......and Mitch is raw. I mean he was schooled last night. No raw athletic unless bigger than that mammal could have much success. Adam's has improved some nice fundamentals to his game that made Mitch look bad. This is what building a team is about.
Not every fan has the stomach for this.

Trier is still doing his thing. He's not reverting back to anything. He's an efficient scorer who doesn't do anything else yet. It will take a couple of years to be more than just a scorer.

Blow it up........

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy