[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Woj: Melo & Rockets discussing role and future (11/15 update: Melo out)
Author Thread
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
11/19/2018  11:40 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
Marv wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
Pringles is supposed to be ashamed to lose to the Warriors? This Warriors team would steam roll many historic level teams.

He had both those games in hand with the personnel he had. Then blew both by letting his team take non-stop idiotic missed 3’s with a lead in the 4th. Like he was on a personal mission to exonerate riley for giving starks the non-stop green light. U want to support that?

I guess you can expect a coach to adjust a bit for who is hot and who is not but do you just flat go away from the playing style that got you this far? Is that what you are saying a coach should expect to do? Go away from your team's strengths?

That's my main issue with Pringles. He never seems to adjust. I understand that every coach has a system. But it's the ability to adjust in game and over the course of the season that separates the good from the great. George Karl, as much as I dislike him, adjusted his system to incorporate a number of different styles. Riley? The same. Larry Brown had success with the Spurs and Pistons, which were two vastly different rosters. Phil Jackson, for all this talk of triangle style PGs, was able to adjust his style to incorporate guys like BJ Armstrong and John Paxson to guys like Brian Shaw and Ron Harper. Heck,Harper wasn't even a point guard, but Phil found a way to incorporate him.
Guys like, Don Nelson and Rick Pitino are talented b'ball minds, but they never showed that flexibility.

Now I see what Phil was trying to do with Frank. He thought with his IQ and Ron Harper type defense...passing ability. He figured Frank could be a Ron Harper type PG. But I think MJ made all those bums look great. If Frank was the PG with MJ...He would probably have a similar career to Ron Harper. But that's for another topic...

I agree that his inability to adjust his offense from the regular season to the playoffs was his weakness. His inability to adjust his offense to fit melo was another sign of his lack of flexibility. As you see the very next game melo left....They had a blow out win. That's more than chemistry issues I think....I could be wrong.

But when Danfoni gets the right mix of players to run his system....it runs like a sports car. He just needed a strong minded defensive coach or coaching staff...mixed with low post offensive minded coaches....

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/20/2018  12:07 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
Marv wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
Pringles is supposed to be ashamed to lose to the Warriors? This Warriors team would steam roll many historic level teams.

He had both those games in hand with the personnel he had. Then blew both by letting his team take non-stop idiotic missed 3’s with a lead in the 4th. Like he was on a personal mission to exonerate riley for giving starks the non-stop green light. U want to support that?

I guess you can expect a coach to adjust a bit for who is hot and who is not but do you just flat go away from the playing style that got you this far? Is that what you are saying a coach should expect to do? Go away from your team's strengths?

That's my main issue with Pringles. He never seems to adjust. I understand that every coach has a system. But it's the ability to adjust in game and over the course of the season that separates the good from the great. George Karl, as much as I dislike him, adjusted his system to incorporate a number of different styles. Riley? The same. Larry Brown had success with the Spurs and Pistons, which were two vastly different rosters. Phil Jackson, for all this talk of triangle style PGs, was able to adjust his style to incorporate guys like BJ Armstrong and John Paxson to guys like Brian Shaw and Ron Harper. Heck,Harper wasn't even a point guard, but Phil found a way to incorporate him.
Guys like, Don Nelson and Rick Pitino are talented b'ball minds, but they never showed that flexibility.

Everyone should know what type of coach Pringles is. After that, you get him those types of players. End of story. Any GM that hires Pringles and then fills roster with half court players should be fired on multiple accounts.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

11/20/2018  10:09 AM
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
Marv wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Everyone should know what type of coach Pringles is. After that, you get him those types of players. End of story. Any GM that hires Pringles and then fills roster with half court players should be fired on multiple accounts.

At this point in the NBA, any GM who brings on Melo is just doing a Dolan (i.e., adding an established gunner who doesn't fit the current NBA) and will fail the same way. Melo may as well retire if he doesn't get on a contender in a 15-20mpg role off the bench.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/20/2018  12:22 PM
blkexec wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
Marv wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Now I see what Phil was trying to do with Frank. He thought with his IQ and Ron Harper type defense...passing ability. He figured Frank could be a Ron Harper type PG. But I think MJ made all those bums look great. If Frank was the PG with MJ...He would probably have a similar career to Ron Harper. But that's for another topic...

I agree that his inability to adjust his offense from the regular season to the playoffs was his weakness. His inability to adjust his offense to fit melo was another sign of his lack of flexibility. As you see the very next game melo left....They had a blow out win. That's more than chemistry issues I think....I could be wrong.

But when Danfoni gets the right mix of players to run his system....it runs like a sports car. He just needed a strong minded defensive coach or coaching staff...mixed with low post offensive minded coaches....

I'm not sure what Phil was thinking. Clarence Gaines Jr., who's been quiet lately, has made it clear that Frank was drafted because of his two-way potential. As for Ron Harper, he was always a big time scorer until age and injuries caught up to him. Plus, he was never really a system player till Phil cam back. I'm not sure Harper was really a point guard with Pippen on the court. Maybe Phil wanted Frank to be the next Harper, but I think he expected more.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/20/2018  2:43 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
blkexec wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
Marv wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

I'm not sure what Phil was thinking. Clarence Gaines Jr., who's been quiet lately, has made it clear that Frank was drafted because of his two-way potential. As for Ron Harper, he was always a big time scorer until age and injuries caught up to him. Plus, he was never really a system player till Phil cam back. I'm not sure Harper was really a point guard with Pippen on the court. Maybe Phil wanted Frank to be the next Harper, but I think he expected more.
Also, Harper was a 20 pt a game scorer before he joined the Bulls.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Swishfm3
Member: #392
11/21/2018  7:58 AM
JamesKPolk wrote:
Marv wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Nah. Just something to consider. Dantoni had 3 coaching positions after leaving the Knicks but didn't go after Melo until he won coy 5 years later. It was right when Melo was having marital problems. It seemed weak and petty to me at the time.

New-ish owner Fertitta made the decision to sign Melo.

Both Morey and Pringles opposed it. Morey had some bad experiences with the Morris Twins early on and vowed to never get into that kind of personnel situation ever again. Chris Paul has Fertitta's ear, which explains some of the baffling decisions made this offseason.

Pringles had to deal with piece of **** personalities in Kobe and Harden, not just Melo. Nearly everyone in the league hates Harden as a person. Pringles doesn't give a ****, he's trying to win.

Former owner Alexander left Morey alone. He only had one mandate, don't tank, put a competitive team out there every year. Fertitta operates differently.

Everyone in the league knew Melo wasn't going to work out in Houston. Except Fertitta and Melo and Chris Paul. Which is why most teams were cool with not chasing Melo themselves.

Nearly all people involved in professional sports have marital problems. You are married to your job, your wife is only a "mistress" in your life. This is common in military families as well. People in law enforcement. People in medicine. Nearly all people in real life outside of professional sports have marital problems of some kind. If you want to try to give people a pass for going through a divorce, you'd never make another transaction in the entire NBA.

There is no grand conspiracy against Carmelo Anthony. If you act like you don't truly give a **** on the court, no one would want you on their team, past history or not. He got cut because he truly stopped giving a ****. That's on him.

Pringles is one of the most respected and beloved figures in all of basketball, IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. OK some guys didn't like him or don't truly vibe with him. James Harden? Piece of ****. Kobe Bryant? Narcissist/Rapist. Melo? Coach killing ego maniac.

If *******s don't get along with you, I don't see that as a negative.

I rarely see anyone brush aside Melo's actual talent. He was an elite 1 vs 1 scorer who was offensively complete. He was a good rebounder and had very good skill set around the rim and in the low post. He just played like an ******* ( zero effort on D, lazy, poor conditioning, didn't keep the ball moving, ****ty shot selection)

But yes, yes,when it comes to Melo, it's everyone elses fault. Clearly if you can't hold him accountable for everything, then you can't blame him for anything at all.

Melo plays like a total *******. No one needs to get revenge on him. Melo inflicts upon himself before anyone could ever start.

Wrong. Pringles is a stubborn narcissist. Funny you miss that.

When his conditions are ideal he’s a decent regular season coach. Always chokes in the playoffs. Or did you happen to be sleeping during the final 2 games against gs when he insisted on flaming out with his crack 3-point shooting game.

Mike D'Antoni is the best coach this franchise had since Van Gundy.

Walsh saw where the league was headed when he made this hire. We were just way behind the curve, as usual.

A "coach" that can only teach one thing is not a good coach.

If Walsh saw where the league was going, why did he draft a PF in the 2009 draft?

Swishfm3
Member: #392
11/21/2018  8:00 AM
martin wrote:
Marv wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

A Coach is expected to adjust when needed.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/21/2018  2:33 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
martin wrote:
Marv wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Phil Jackson had two sets of top 5 ( for that timeline) future locked in HOF players. Jordan and Pippen. With Rodman in one of those runs. During his Lakers run, the use of the Mid Level Exception and the tax structure was different, so stacking Lamar Odom, Artest, Bynum, Gasol was possible then but not as likely today.

Larry Brown had a young Admiral and Rod Strickland and Sean Elliott on those teams. The he had one of the best defensive teams in NBA history with his Pistons.

Karl had Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Detlef, Nate McMillian, then again he had prime Melo, Iverson, Billups, Kenyon Martin, Marcus Camby

Don Nelson during his first NellieBall run had slow as dirt Chris Mullin and Tim Hardaway Sr. During this timeline, there was a massive drought of functional big men ( which is why Uwe Blab types hung around so long) Later he had Nash and Dirk.

The main criticism to Pringles and Nelson was their teams didn't defend. How do you adjust to personnel who can't defend. It was not a question of effort, Mullin was stopping no one. Nash was stopping no one.

What adjustments should Pringles make? The ENTIRE LEAGUE shifted to a modified version of SSOL with the Space and Pace type game. The ENTIRE LEAGUE tries to bomb each other with three point shots. Both Pringles and Nelson were before their time innovators who never had the personnel to adjust to defend. Nelson created the first Stretch 5 with Manute Bol. He also saw the benefit of the three point shot, digging up Steve Alford , then with Rod Higgins, and giving them orders to set shoot threes on a fast break. Nelson created the first "Hack A Player" system, using Byron Houston and Tyrone Hill to smash guys into the ground with six hard fouls. Nelson was the first to truly explore the international player market, digging out Sarunas Marcilonius when other NBA teams had no international scouting at all. Nelson was the deepest dive into the then CBA, finding Mario Elie, Tom Tolbert, Vincent Askew types.

Don Nelson was one of the most flexible coaches the NBA has ever seen in his prime. Yes he got senile, but he also mined Mitch Richmond, Latrell Sprewell and Tim Hardaway Sr when others passed on them. Finding quality rim protection in his prime era was next to impossible for most NBA teams.

Pringles got a ton out of guys like Diaw and Barbosa and QRich. It's not his fault his owner Sarver decided to dump out their first round picks and ordered money saving moves that cost talent.

You want to point out someone like Brian Shaw as an example of adjustment, without pointing out he was surrounded by guys like Kobe, Shaq, Odom, Bynum, Gasol?

This game is defined by talent. Give Rich Kotite the 93 Cowboys roster and he'd have a Superbowl ring.

Ok. But let's not gloss over the fact that 'stache has two hall of fame players now and ran with Suns teams that had a bonafide Hall of Famers in Nash, a likely Hall of Famer in Joe Johnson and a borderline guy in Stoudamire. Yeah, I get it. You need good players to be a championship contender. When Nelson was with the Knicks, he had quality rim protection in Ewing. Guess what? He couldn't make the adjustment. In fact, he wanted to trade him for Rony Seikaly. Ronny was good scorer, but he wasn't anything close to being a rim protector. Hell, our assistant coach at the time was able to see what kind of team we had and the system it needed to thrive in. And guess what? Van Gundy had success. Don was just to stubborn to adjust. He wanted to run and play small ball. Fine. I get he was ahead of his time, but sometimes you need to figure out how to win with the horses you have.
Brian Shaw was one example. How about Pete Myers? Ron Harper was pretty washed as a scorer we he came to the Bulls. Bill Wennington? Luck Longley? Luck Longley? Phil had roster with those buns and Scottie Pippen and took them to the finals.
'Stache had prime Melo and wanted him to stand at the three point line and shoot threes? I realize there is a lot of Melo hate here now, but did you think that was the best use of Melo at the time?
Compare Pringles to Pop, who always seems to get all of his players in the best position possible to maximize their talents. To me that is a great coach.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/21/2018  4:05 PM
Don Nelson was fired after 57 games and ewing was going to bolt unless he was.
Grunfeld forced the issue and traded Oak for Camby. Then JVG and knicks made improbable move to finals and got a two year 4mil extension before he could be fired.
We let those things happen the knicks history would have been much different. Better? Whose to really know but it could not have been much worse. Since Dolan took over the team the knicks have the worse record in pro basketball.
Woj: Melo & Rockets discussing role and future (11/15 update: Melo out)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy