I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
11/7/2018  5:53 PM
CrushAlot wrote:https://cleaningtheglass.com/if-you-miss-it-im-gonna-go-get-it/

This is all coll but why being so smart on offensive glass he cannot use his smarts on defense?
Looks like while being so focus on watching the ball he totally ignored watching the man.
"See the ball and see your man" Clyde mantra is not just nice expression.
Kanter is good in getting defensive rebounds for the same reason he is good on offensive glass.
But any passing and penetration actions making him confused as he juts bystander watching the ball.
With limited set of skills (even very well established) it is not possible to be adequate player in today's NBA when versatility is the name of the game.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
11/7/2018  5:58 PM
arkrud wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:https://cleaningtheglass.com/if-you-miss-it-im-gonna-go-get-it/

This is all coll but why being so smart on offensive glass he cannot use his smarts on defense?
Looks like while being so focus on watching the ball he totally ignored watching the man.
"See the ball and see your man" Clyde mantra is not just nice expression.
Kanter is good in getting defensive rebounds for the same reason he is good on offensive glass.
But any passing and penetration actions making him confused as he juts bystander watching the ball.
With limited set of skills (even very well established) it is not possible to be adequate player in today's NBA when versatility is the name of the game.

I thought it was a great article about how smart he is as a rebounder. Using his shoulders, getting position before watching the ball etc. The article was about rebounding especially offensive rebounding. I think he is more than adequate but he does have deficiencies.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Ira
Member: #91
11/7/2018  6:26 PM
Kanter isn't a bad defensive player for lack of trying, he just doesn't have the lateral quickness he needs to play better defense.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/7/2018  7:30 PM
Ira wrote:Kanter isn't a bad defensive player for lack of trying, he just doesn't have the lateral quickness he needs to play better defense.
This. You can see that he knows what to do he just can't do it. He is not quick. He gets rebounds because he is strong and understands positioning
arkrud
USA
11/7/2018  11:25 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/7/2018  11:28 PM
Ira wrote:Kanter isn't a bad defensive player for lack of trying, he just doesn't have the lateral quickness he needs to play better defense.

Watched him closely today and he just watching the ball all the time missing his man over and over again.
Even this Plum-brother was able to dunk on him at will. It is not the luck of reaction.
He just have a system to his game which prevents him from defending the man but provide the best chance of rebounding the missed attempt.
But if this is not miss... its in the basket...
Playing in no-defense system with Westbrook chunking zillion of shots did it to him... Not sure if this is correctable.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

11/8/2018  6:31 PM
arkrud wrote:

Watched him closely today and he just watching the ball all the time missing his man over and over again.
Even this Plum-brother was able to dunk on him at will. It is not the luck of reaction.
He just have a system to his game which prevents him from defending the man but provide the best chance of rebounding the missed attempt.
Playing in no-defense system with Westbrook chunking zillion of shots did it to him... Not sure if this is correctable.

You had me till the no defense system, that part isn't true. The rest of your post is. He truly sucks on defense, and all the numbers beat this out.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

11/8/2018  6:47 PM

I think it's more in his brain.

Stat has the same problem he did. David Lee to a certain degree too.

You know what's most often the difference between a good and bad NFL QB? It isn't the arm strength or foot speed.

It's the eyes and the brain and the arm working in tandem.

Great QB's see the play a 1/2 second before it happens. They can survey the field and not just see it for what it is that second, but what is will be in 1/2-1 seconds. Anticipation. They can throw to the man who WILL be open and to where he'll be open. Not TO the open man.

You can see he (like Stat) Kanter just can't read cuts and anticipate the play developing.

Gary Payton wasn't quicker than everyone else, he was just better at anticipating where his man was going to go based on the input available.

Kanter doesn't and is never going to have that. He reacts after the fact, he can't anticipate.

And against the quickest, strongest, craftiest athletes in the world, that's a MAJOR handicap.

arkrud
USA
11/8/2018  8:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/8/2018  8:25 PM
Knickoftime wrote:

I think it's more in his brain.

Stat has the same problem he did. David Lee to a certain degree too.

You know what's most often the difference between a good and bad NFL QB? It isn't the arm strength or foot speed.

It's the eyes and the brain and the arm working in tandem.

Great QB's see the play a 1/2 second before it happens. They can survey the field and not just see it for what it is that second, but what is will be in 1/2-1 seconds. Anticipation. They can throw to the man who WILL be open and to where he'll be open. Not TO the open man.

You can see he (like Stat) Kanter just can't read cuts and anticipate the play developing.

Gary Payton wasn't quicker than everyone else, he was just better at anticipating where his man was going to go based on the input available.

Kanter doesn't and is never going to have that. He reacts after the fact, he can't anticipate.

And against the quickest, strongest, craftiest athletes in the world, that's a MAJOR handicap.

Yep. He also well aware of this and developed a way to produce great stats and almost compensate his weaknesses.
This little "almost" however is what makes a difference in wins/loss contributions.
That's why he will never start on good team and will unlikely see the floor for contender.
On team like Knicks are now he is OK but it is not worth to give him time needed for prospects development.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

11/8/2018  9:24 PM

Poor timing
Poor vertical
No situational awareness
Can't read the floor
Can't make defensive calls
A complete sieve against the basic pick and roll
A zero for rim protection
High effort but liability as a help defender
Does not operate well in close contact defensively
Footwork is actually kind of ****ty
Slow to rotate
Generally undisciplined
Lead feet

The pick and roll issue is the most glaring exploit.

Generally I find he is never where he needs to be and has no idea why he needs to be there in the first place. He's not a high IQ player. I wouldn't even call him a medium IQ player.

Doesn't help that he gets the "Euro Bias" in calls from the refs. Sometimes the refs treat him like Craig Ehlo guarding Michael Jordan.

He's a bad defensive player. Rebounds and high effort don't cut it.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/8/2018  9:32 PM
arkrud wrote:

His court awareness sucks. Yes, he doesn't be look that bad man to man. But a swing by pass here, a pick and roll here and a cut there by leaves the man in limbo. Can't blame Westbrook because Utah had the same issues. He's just no good in space.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
arkrud
USA
11/9/2018  10:02 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
arkrud wrote:

His court awareness sucks. Yes, he doesn't be look that bad man to man. But a swing by pass here, a pick and roll here and a cut there by leaves the man in limbo. Can't blame Westbrook because Utah had the same issues. He's just no good in space.

Not blaming him just pointing out that Kanter style was complimenting West game perfectly.
OKC lately was always in business to outscore the opponents and defense was not the main focus.

Cleaning the Glass Article on Kanter

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy