[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

PG Dilemma

Author Poll
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
Obviously it's still so early, but i want to see where everyone stands on this topic currently. I think it's more than not a given that Hardaway, Knox, Porzingis, and Robinson will start at the 2 thru 5 next year. Ntilikina has been solid and improved, but still lacks the playmaking to this point that will maximize guys like KP and Robinson. Knox and Hardaway have playmaking skills, but should not be relied on for that role. Let's assume Kyrie resigns in Boston. Subject to change, your PG preference in the future is:
Kemba at or near the max
Rozier at 15-20 mil to per year
Bledsoe at 15-20 mil per year
Rubio at 15-20 mil per year
Frank will develop into the playmaker we need
Draft a PG next summer
View Results

Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/5/2018  11:10 PM
Vmart wrote:Last years developmental failure is hurt Frank. He needed to start and play heavy minutes last year from the very beginning. What I see is Frank doesn’t have the stamina necessary to play fast. He has no legs left that is why his shooting is getting worse and worse. He is aiming his shots. The shots are not instinctively shot.

Frank needs to trust his shot and let it fly.

Very much disagree. Frank got 20 minutes per game because it was all he could physically handle. Pushing a player past the limits of their endurance leads to injuries.

Frank was lucky to have Hornacek as a coach. He was infinitely patient with Frank Dont recall seeing him getting yelled at like his teammates once.

Didnt matter how poorly Frank was playing, how many careless turnovers, how many times he passed up on an open look. Frank got those minutes, like money in the bank.

Hornacek gave all the minutes an 19 year old kid could handle, playing against grown men who were also faster than he was.

As others have mentioned, if its a conditioning issue, its on Frank at this point. Early in the season, all summer to get ready, no known injuries, and he's young.

AUTOADVERT
blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
11/5/2018  11:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/5/2018  11:18 PM
Knickoftime wrote:So do I have this straight, after every good game during his second season we're going to post feel good threads about his future and after every bad game we're going to question his future?

The definition of a hurt fan thats been in a horible relationship for 40 yrs. Still waiting for the relationship to improve, while going to UK sites for therapy.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/6/2018  7:59 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
Vmart wrote:Last years developmental failure is hurt Frank. He needed to start and play heavy minutes last year from the very beginning. What I see is Frank doesn’t have the stamina necessary to play fast. He has no legs left that is why his shooting is getting worse and worse. He is aiming his shots. The shots are not instinctively shot.

Very much disagree. Frank got 20 minutes per game because it was all he could physically handle. Pushing a player past the limits of their endurance leads to injuries.

Frank was lucky to have Hornacek as a coach. He was infinitely patient with Frank Dont recall seeing him getting yelled at like his teammates once.

Didnt matter how poorly Frank was playing, how many careless turnovers, how many times he passed up on an open look. Frank got those minutes, like money in the bank.

Hornacek gave all the minutes an 19 year old kid could handle, playing against grown men who were also faster than he was.

As others have mentioned, if its a conditioning issue, its on Frank at this point. Early in the season, all summer to get ready, no known injuries, and he's young.

I agree its “conditioning” and he is at his limits for now. Yes he is 20 and played pro a few years but he looks very young and Perhaps fatigued at times. 2nd night of a back to back and he was manhandled by a big faster and stronger John Wall and Beal prior. Frank has been playing big minutes thus far. My point is the kid is physically immature and was still growing last we checked.
While just two years older Mudiay looks like he is going to have a stocky build which makes him look like he is pushing 30.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/6/2018  10:22 AM
Nalod wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I agree its “conditioning” and he is at his limits for now. Yes he is 20 and played pro a few years but he looks very young and Perhaps fatigued at times. 2nd night of a back to back and he was manhandled by a big faster and stronger John Wall and Beal prior. Frank has been playing big minutes thus far. My point is the kid is physically immature and was still growing last we checked.
While just two years older Mudiay looks like he is going to have a stocky build which makes him look like he is pushing 30.

Frank might end up looking like Jamal Crawford for most of his career, tall, thin frame. Frank has a better chance of getting through this if he stays aggressive. He'll have a much better idea of how much stamina he needs to stay on the court.

Chandler
Member: #6197

11/6/2018  10:37 AM
It could be the case that FIzzdale will be his own version of Brad Stevens, getting solid effort on D from everyone. And perhaps a little like Stevens a little unclear what exactly he wants to do, or can do, on offense

In which case the quick fix is a ball hog like Kyrie. (personally im against the quick fix)

My own hope is that we get some offensive brains on the bench akin to a Tex Winter. That will do us more good than a quick fix pg

(5)(5)
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/6/2018  11:33 AM
Chandler wrote:It could be the case that FIzzdale will be his own version of Brad Stevens, getting solid effort on D from everyone. And perhaps a little like Stevens a little unclear what exactly he wants to do, or can do, on offense

In which case the quick fix is a ball hog like Kyrie. (personally im against the quick fix)

My own hope is that we get some offensive brains on the bench akin to a Tex Winter. That will do us more good than a quick fix pg

Brad stevens quick fix pg was Isaiah Thomas (not bad uh) that got them Kyrie(even better uh)

You can sit there all day and try to develop a pg who may never get it, or you can do something about it and right the ship. If that means trading somebody, then do it, we need to get better at that position in the worse way.

ES
Nalod
USA
11/6/2018  12:51 PM
Chandler wrote:It could be the case that FIzzdale will be his own version of Brad Stevens, getting solid effort on D from everyone. And perhaps a little like Stevens a little unclear what exactly he wants to do, or can do, on offense

There is no quick fix. There was a reason preseason predictions had us winning less than 30 games.
Early in the season Fiz is seeing what he has and what he does not. 20 year olds are inconsistent. Frank and Mitch are not physically developed. We see glimpses of the talent. Knox has only played in 3 games. Timmy got banged up.

Nalod
USA
11/6/2018  1:01 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

Brad stevens quick fix pg was Isaiah Thomas (not bad uh) that got them Kyrie(even better uh)

You can sit there all day and try to develop a pg who may never get it, or you can do something about it and right the ship. If that means trading somebody, then do it, we need to get better at that position in the worse way.

"right the ship".......You make the assumption it was on course and we must do something to put it correct. There was no course, no destination but a starphuch journey to nowhere. Like one of those cheap Caribbean carnival cruises, they just go to nice places but not really any substance.
Only now has the team begun its journey and your 10 games in and panicking that we need a trade.
Dude, we are so short into this your only going to make your self crazy......wait, Im talking to "Rainman1248"!
Ok, lets just calm down, go get some chocolate milk and think happy thoughts! Yes, we'll make a trade as soon as we can. Maybe we'll move Frank and a future pick for Steph curry. See, look how easy it was!!!! Yes, Steph will make it all good. Soon. Ok, just calm down.....There there...more milk? yummy right? Of course it is. That's right, Uncle Mills and Uncle Perry are on your side! Yes they are....

knicks1248
11/6/2018  4:34 PM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

"right the ship".......You make the assumption it was on course and we must do something to put it correct. There was no course, no destination but a starphuch journey to nowhere. Like one of those cheap Caribbean carnival cruises, they just go to nice places but not really any substance.
Only now has the team begun its journey and your 10 games in and panicking that we need a trade.
Dude, we are so short into this your only going to make your self crazy......wait, Im talking to "Rainman1248"!
Ok, lets just calm down, go get some chocolate milk and think happy thoughts! Yes, we'll make a trade as soon as we can. Maybe we'll move Frank and a future pick for Steph curry. See, look how easy it was!!!! Yes, Steph will make it all good. Soon. Ok, just calm down.....There there...more milk? yummy right? Of course it is. That's right, Uncle Mills and Uncle Perry are on your side! Yes they are....

If you don't think our PG situation is a complete mess, and has been since Kidd retired, then your a drunk and you need to sober up.

First it was, he's just just 18, oh he's just 19, oh he's just 20, oh this only preseason, oh its only 10 games into the season, you see the trend.

He is soft and passive, burke is too small, and mudiay is as limted as it gets, yes if it was up to me i would trade all of them for someone who can do more than just one thing good, there are better players in the league then we have, and we dont have to be starphuck to uprade

ES
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/6/2018  4:45 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

If you don't think our PG situation is a complete mess, and has been since Kidd retired, then your a drunk and you need to sober up.

First it was, he's just just 18, oh he's just 19, oh he's just 20, oh this only preseason, oh its only 10 games into the season, you see the trend.

He is soft and passive, burke is too small, and mudiay is as limted as it gets, yes if it was up to me i would trade all of them for someone who can do more than just one thing good, there are better players in the league then we have, and we dont have to be starphuck to uprade

I think Frank is going to be a good player. Never a big stats guy but a solid 2-way combo guard who contributes to a winning team with his versatility. It's obviously way too soon to make a decision on him, as he is younger than many rookies who were freshman last year. I think if we can get a star PG in free agency, we would do it no questions asked. Kyrie or Kemba for sure. High-level starters who aren't stars like Bledsoe or Rubio are where things get tricky. They make us better, but how much better? What i was hoping was we would pair Ntilikina with a strong backup PG who can offset his weaknesses as he develops. Burke and Mudiay are not that player unfortunately. Looking at free agency, i see guys like Elfrid Payton, Darron Collison, and Corey Joseph as guys who jump out. They are not sexy names, but they would bring a different element to the team. We need a playmaker, who doesn't hurt us too bad in other areas. Someone like Van Fleet would have been perfect. It's not the answer to anything, we just need a stopgap plan to help buy time and make us better until we know exactly what we have in Ntilikina, or we land a star guard in the meantime.

Chandler
Member: #6197

11/6/2018  4:51 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Not trying to be a dick, but honestly you can look at probably every pg in the league and create a criticism from being a ball hog, to overpaid, to no D, to too old. I can't think of one above reproach

With Frank we can reasonably expect things to get better across the board, and his D (and contribution to winning basketball) is already good.

I'm more of an investor than a trader.

(5)(5)
knicks1248
11/7/2018  11:58 AM
Chandler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Not trying to be a dick, but honestly you can look at probably every pg in the league and create a criticism from being a ball hog, to overpaid, to no D, to too old. I can't think of one above reproach

With Frank we can reasonably expect things to get better across the board, and his D (and contribution to winning basketball) is already good.

But there are other players better than them that we know are good, and are not hoping they can turn out to be good.

I more of a "go with what you know", as oppose to "lets hope it turns out good".

ES
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

11/7/2018  12:14 PM
Todays update....
Frank still cant shoot and has gone back to his shell.
Mudiay is our best pace PG.
Yoot PGs are still in school.

Stay tuned, this changes daily.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

11/7/2018  12:16 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Chandler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

But there are other players better than them that we know are good, and are not hoping they can turn out to be good.

I more of a "go with what you know", as oppose to "lets hope it turns out good".

Agree that no one we have has shown to be a very good PG. Who do you recommned we get? So you think the FO is not aware?

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Sangfroid
Member: #2784

11/7/2018  12:39 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Chandler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Agree that no one we have has shown to be a very good PG. Who do you recommned we get? So you think the FO is not aware?

We must assume that the FO is seeing the same thing that we are seeing. I am sure that they are combing the league for upgrades. We are 10 games into an 82 game season. Surely, we are all disappointed with our near miss finishes, but we do see promise. If Fiz is evaluating the lineups at 5 game clips, we are left to do the same. The poll for PG is premature. Let's continue with our PG development plan, while keeping our powder dry in the event of a good situation evolving.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
knicks1248
11/7/2018  12:45 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Chandler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

I can't really call it,the one thing for sure is it's going to take some sacrificing to do so(which all huge rewards do) I personally feel he is IDEAL for the spurs, and I would take there first rounder..

I just read a few scouting reports on frank (overseas and US scouts) and not one indicated that he can be a FUll time PG.

and like i have been saying since last season, he is a much better fit on a much more talented squad, where he is not the primarily ball handler or relied on to score.

Frank plays best when other scorers and playmakers are on the floor, not when you have mitch, noah, lance, and dotson on the floor.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Frank-Ntilikina-77051/

ES
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

11/8/2018  12:52 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/8/2018  12:54 PM
knicks1248 wrote:and like i have been saying since last season, he is a much better fit on a much more talented squad, where he is not the primarily ball handler or relied on to score.

Frank plays best when other scorers and playmakers are on the floor, not when you have mitch, noah, lance, and dotson on the floor.

That's good and fine, and where your agenda begins to show.

NOBODY is suggesting Nitilikina is, will or should be an alpha dog lead scorer. But his ideal fit in the NBA isn't really the point in 2018-19, his 20-year old second season.

The idea is for the Knicks to become a much more talented squad in the future, where his skill set will fit better.

You seemingly want a guy who will fit better right now for a likely lottery and a unlikely postseason team, which is hard for many of us to understand.

Nitilikina is a long-term play, everyone understands that, besides you.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
11/8/2018  1:06 PM
Well, I fully hope Ntilikina is hyped around the league the way Dejounte Murray was last year for the Spurs when he took over the starting PG role for Tony Parker.

With his similar height and length (6'5" height, 6'10" wingspan), he was an all-defensive 1st teamer. With only 21.5mpg.
His key splits: 8.1ppg, 2.9apg, 5.7rpg, 1.2spg.

I thought Ntilikina was a better defensive player last year, but no hype, no hardware.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/murrade01.html

I'd like to see Kevin Durant as our PG of the future like others have stated. Ntilikina would do well in the role as our Derek Fisher of the future.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
knicks1248
11/8/2018  1:50 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:and like i have been saying since last season, he is a much better fit on a much more talented squad, where he is not the primarily ball handler or relied on to score.

NOBODY is suggesting Nitilikina is, will or should be an alpha dog lead scorer. But his ideal fit in the NBA isn't really the point in 2018-19, his 20-year old second season.

The idea is for the Knicks to become a much more talented squad in the future, where his skill set will fit better.

You seemingly want a guy who will fit better right now for a likely lottery and a unlikely postseason team, which is hard for many of us to understand.

Did you read the scouting report, as youngster he played mostly off the ball, he has looked better playing off the ball. The only thing i have been saying about frank is that he's not a PG, I don't how that keeps turning into "i hate the kid", or i think he's trash. Phil Jackon labeled him a PG..But Frank is a pg as much as RON HARPER was in the triangle, Occasionally . Perhaps if we had a really good pg, franks development would be much better

ES
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

11/8/2018  2:07 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Did you read the scouting report, as youngster he played mostly off the ball, he has looked better playing off the ball. The only thing i have been saying about frank is that he's not a PG, I don't how that keeps turning into "i hate the kid", or i think he's trash. Phil Jackon labeled him a PG.

You ask me if I read the scouting reports. Google "2017 NBA mock draft." Look at any or ALL of them. He's universally listed as a PG, specifically.

This idea that him being labeled as a PG was purely by Phil Jackson after the fact is pure fiction.

But Frank is a pg as much as RON HARPER was in the triangle, Occasionally . Perhaps if we had a really good pg, franks development would be much better

You're welcome to your personal opinion. Other like myself are just noting that PG development can often take years AND you're wrong about what NBA evaluators besides Jackson see him as AND that his ideal fit in the NBA right now is beside the point.

Again, you're entitled to stake your ground that he'll NEVER be point guard enough to play point guard and the Knicks should give up on the idea now, but you don't have to make stuff up and raise irrelevant points to support that opinion.

PG Dilemma

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy