[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

At what point do folks come around on the Hardway signing? Worth it? A core piece or trade asset moving forward?
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/1/2018  9:17 AM
I mean just curios. This signing was generally blasted here. Hardaway continues to improve and is a pretty good ball player. Of Bazemore, Evan Turner, Allan Crabbe... those guys who were getting those deal THj is probably the only one worth it.

What are people's thoughts on having him here and his contract moving forward?

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
StarksEwing1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4451

11/1/2018  9:32 AM
I always loved hardaway coming back. I just felt we could of shaved some money off without the hawks matching. But so far this year he has earned it so I dont have any issues with it anymore. Honestly we are in a good position at SG. If Timmy has taken the step thats tremendous.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/1/2018  9:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/1/2018  9:47 AM
I was on board with Hardaway returning from the jump...I was one of the main one's on this board defending the singing as I watched his game rapidly improve when he was in Atlanta...If he continues to play on this level, he is definitely a core piece moving forward....The way he is playing at this point, Hardaway is a bargain compared to the guys Fish mentioned that are making the same money.

Dude is averaging 26 pts on 41% from 3....He's probably in the lead for most improved player this year....He is making an Oladipo like jumpt this year. Hopefully it continues and he continues to improve....You can tell when a player has arrived when people on this board dont even mention when he puts up big time numbers. Its expected now!

Chandler
Member: #6197

11/1/2018  9:58 AM
liked him the first ands second time. Really interested to see if his defense is more effective against 2s
(5)(5)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/1/2018  10:06 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I always loved hardaway coming back. I just felt we could of shaved some money off without the hawks matching. But so far this year he has earned it so I dont have any issues with it anymore. Honestly we are in a good position at SG. If Timmy has taken the step thats tremendous.

The money. We really only have opinion as to what he could have been gotten for. Also have to look at the very moment we signed him because Knicks were in Turmoil. We drafted Frank who we knew to be not but a 2. In hindsight Mitchell would have been the proper choice but that's not what happened. Melo was out the door and we did not know what he'd bring via trade. Phil was just fired.
And free agency starts.
and Knicks are not exactly a place free agents would be looking for stability. Phil out, coach on one year left on contract are not components of stability.
Timing is everything. ATL also neutered Bud and bought in new leadership with new owner. I know we paid more. Not sure if it was also years as well. 4 vs. three. It was thought ATL would offer 45mm but not sure if that was for 3 or 4 years. No doubt knicks had to go in fast and high. If conviction was high on him then "price is only an issue in the absence of value".
Growth. He went from a late season starter in ATL during his resurrection and became what knicks thought he could be. He was then to become the no. 2 option a new role for him. Then the no. 1 option when KP went down. Should an 18mm guy be able to handle all of that at once? If money is the measure, I would agree with that. If we take the money out and look at his career and the potential based on his actual performance in ATL? Looks a bit different. But "Money Matters" for sure!
I was an offseason supporter of this guy and liked that he was being quiet about the current season. Do the work and let the game speak for himself. I think the surge in responsibility last year made him press too much. He got hurt and he did not let the game come to him. Things in that role he had to digest. I think tried to do too much last year. This year he seems to be picking his spots better. he was "efficient" last nite according to his stats and JVG mentioned.
If he stays or is trade fodder its a good thing! he is playing up to his contract this young season. Mills looks good, Fiz looks good, he looks good and none of that is bad!! Lots of games to go!

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

11/1/2018  10:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/1/2018  10:17 AM
I thought we, meaning Phil, gave up on him too early. Seemed the right move when he went to D league. Thought we were crazy paying him the current contract. Seems like the rigjt move right now.
Although some on here dialile his shoot first style, think he is someone that can take over a game. Has shown he is cognicent of having to contribute in other areas as well. So far pleasantly surprised.

You bring up an interesting point regarding his future. Was talking about this last night. Is he someone that can be considered to be in that "trade high" category? I mean with Houston willing to offer 4 first round picks plus, for Jimmy buckets, would they offer us one first rounder for Timmy? Two picks? Do think Timmy is extremely comfortable with the situation here. And is showing to be a solid long term cohort for KP. Hard one to call but he is making a case for not being able to easily be replaced. As long as Mills is here, dont think he is going anywhere. Think we will keep him and try to get lucky gaining assets dealing Kanter, Lee, crowded back court.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
StarksEwing1

11/1/2018  10:11 AM
Nalod wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:I always loved hardaway coming back. I just felt we could of shaved some money off without the hawks matching. But so far this year he has earned it so I dont have any issues with it anymore. Honestly we are in a good position at SG. If Timmy has taken the step thats tremendous.

The money. We really only have opinion as to what he could have been gotten for. Also have to look at the very moment we signed him because Knicks were in Turmoil. We drafted Frank who we knew to be not but a 2. In hindsight Mitchell would have been the proper choice but that's not what happened. Melo was out the door and we did not know what he'd bring via trade. Phil was just fired.
And free agency starts.
and Knicks are not exactly a place free agents would be looking for stability. Phil out, coach on one year left on contract are not components of stability.
Timing is everything. ATL also neutered Bud and bought in new leadership with new owner. I know we paid more. Not sure if it was also years as well. 4 vs. three. It was thought ATL would offer 45mm but not sure if that was for 3 or 4 years. No doubt knicks had to go in fast and high. If conviction was high on him then "price is only an issue in the absence of value".
Growth. He went from a late season starter in ATL during his resurrection and became what knicks thought he could be. He was then to become the no. 2 option a new role for him. Then the no. 1 option when KP went down. Should an 18mm guy be able to handle all of that at once? If money is the measure, I would agree with that. If we take the money out and look at his career and the potential based on his actual performance in ATL? Looks a bit different. But "Money Matters" for sure!
I was an offseason supporter of this guy and liked that he was being quiet about the current season. Do the work and let the game speak for himself. I think the surge in responsibility last year made him press too much. He got hurt and he did not let the game come to him. Things in that role he had to digest. I think tried to do too much last year. This year he seems to be picking his spots better. he was "efficient" last nite according to his stats and JVG mentioned.
If he stays or is trade fodder its a good thing! he is playing up to his contract this young season. Mills looks good, Fiz looks good, he looks good and none of that is bad!! Lots of games to go!

Yeah I mean I was always a timmy supporter. Even his first stint where he got a lot of criticism from our fans I was behind him. Its great to see him thrive. It will be interesting what happens come draft time if langford,reddish,or god willing barrett falls in our laps
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/1/2018  10:11 AM
Was against the move, started a thread about it. Went in that thread soon after the season started, THJ started playing, and said that he deserved some patience from fans. Because Timmy was doing the right things, albeit unsuccessfully to that point.

Was against the signing, but it didnt take long for me to see that Timmy was a different player than he was in NY the last time, different attitude.

Im hesitant to heap praise on Mills because he did what this franchise has done too much of, going for the familiar. Would Mills have signed Hardaway if he hadnt been a Knick? Doubt it.

Be it a system, execs, coaches who arent worth a head coaching gig, players, the Knicks have up until this point gone too often with the familiar.

Thats why I liked Mills signing of Perry. He thought outside the box, didnt look to hire Allan Houston, or someone else in the org. Thats what Mills really should be praised for IMO.

StarksEwing1

11/1/2018  10:12 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Was against the move, started a thread about it. Went in that thread soon after the season started, THJ started playing, and said that he deserved some patience from fans. Because Timmy was doing the right things, albeit unsuccessfully to that point.

Was against the signing, but it didnt take long for me to see that Timmy was a different player than he was in NY the last time, different attitude.

Im hesitant to heap praise on Mills because he did what this franchise has done too much of, going for the familiar. Would Mills have signed Hardaway if he hadnt been a Knick? Doubt it.

Be it a system, execs, coaches who arent worth a head coaching gig, players, the Knicks have up until this point gone too often with the familiar.

Thats why I liked Mills signing of Perry. He thought outside the box, didnt look to hire Allan Houston, or someone else in the org. Thats what Mills really should be praised for IMO.

im pretty sure there are no complaints about perry. His drafting and trades have been great so far as well as bringing in reclamation projects like Vonleh
GustavBahler

11/1/2018  10:14 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Was against the move, started a thread about it. Went in that thread soon after the season started, THJ started playing, and said that he deserved some patience from fans. Because Timmy was doing the right things, albeit unsuccessfully to that point.

im pretty sure there are no complaints about perry. His drafting and trades have been great so far as well as bringing in reclamation projects like Vonleh

Wasnt even close to suggesting what you just wrote.

StarksEwing1

11/1/2018  10:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/1/2018  10:29 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:

Wasnt even close to suggesting what you just wrote.

I wasnt saying you suggested it. Just saying hypothetically in general.
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

11/1/2018  10:21 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:You bring up an interesting point regarding his future. Was talking about this last night. Is he someone that can be considered to be in that "trade high" category? I mean with Houston willing to offer 4 first round picks plus, for Jimmy buckets, would they offer us one first rounder for Timmy? Two picks?

Since that almost certainly would not include Eric Gordon, the ONLY way Houston can make that trade is including Brandon Knight (which may be the issues with their Wolves proposals), whose contract extends through next year.

So the question here would be is that or those firsts worth it?

Cartman718
Member: #1694

11/1/2018  10:23 AM
fishmike wrote:I mean just curios. This signing was generally blasted here. Hardaway continues to improve and is a pretty good ball player. Of Bazemore, Evan Turner, Allan Crabbe... those guys who were getting those deal THj is probably the only one worth it.

if he becomes an all star this year, i'll come around :)

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Welpee
Member: #6239

11/1/2018  10:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/1/2018  10:31 AM

Could just say you were wrong about Hardaway. lol

Seriously, I liked bringing him back but thought we overpaid, which we basically had to since he was a restricted free agent. So far it has looked like a solid signing. As long as nobody gets fooled into thinking he can be an alpha dog on a winning team. He can be a solid sidekick, a #3 type guy.

We still need a Batman (Durant) with KP being Robin and Hardaway being Alfred. lol

GustavBahler

11/1/2018  10:31 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
fishmike wrote:I mean just curios. This signing was generally blasted here. Hardaway continues to improve and is a pretty good ball player. Of Bazemore, Evan Turner, Allan Crabbe... those guys who were getting those deal THj is probably the only one worth it.

if he becomes an all star this year, i'll come around :)

Believe Timmy is earning his contract, All-Star nod would be gravy.
If Frank can keep his progress at PG going, KP/Knox/Timmy/Frank/
(not sure who the last starter would be) that lineup should get us contending for the ECF, in a season or two.

GustavBahler

11/1/2018  10:32 AM
Welpee wrote:

Could just say you were wrong about Hardaway. lol

Seriously, I liked bringing him back but thought we overpaid, which we basically had to since he was a restricted free agent. So far it has looked like a solid signing. As long as nobody gets fooled into thinking he can be an alpha dog on a winning team. He can be a solid sidekick, a #3 type guy.

We still need a Batman (Durant) with KP being Robin and Hardaway being Alfred. lol

Would you sleep better at night? Not much of a conversation your way.

Bretrobert1
Member: #6028

11/1/2018  10:45 AM

He can fill it up on the offensive side. But last night's stat line is all too familiar. 37 points and the worst plus/minus on the team at -14, in a 6 point loss.

"I love you guys." -Norman Dale
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

11/1/2018  10:51 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/1/2018  10:51 AM
Bretrobert1 wrote:

He can fill it up on the offensive side. But last night's stat line is all too familiar. 37 points and the worst plus/minus on the team at -14, in a 6 point loss.

I'm a believer in +/- more than most, but something that has to be factored in is pure minutes.

Hardaway played 5 more minutes than anyone and a lot more minutes than most.

In an ultimate loss, that's going to manifest itself in +/-.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/1/2018  11:54 AM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TPercy
Member: #5748

11/1/2018  12:03 PM
I really like him even tho his defense compared to the start of last year has worsened a bit. Worst comes to the worst he’d be one helluva an option long term coming off the bench.
The Future is Bright!
At what point do folks come around on the Hardway signing? Worth it? A core piece or trade asset moving forward?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy