[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dotson's Role
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/31/2018  6:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2018  6:55 PM
Dotson is getting better. If he becomes good enough to start, he could make a good trade chip in a deal for a superstar, if his path is blocked in NY by other players. Glad Fizdale gave the younger players from the previous regime a chance. Should pay dividends.
AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

10/31/2018  7:05 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Dotson is getting better. If he becomes good enough to start, he could make a good trade chip in a deal for a superstar, if his path is blocked in NY by other players. Glad Fizdale gave the younger players from the previous regime a chance. Should pay dividends.

What other players would block his path? He is the best guard on the team right now, given he plays both sides of the ball with reasonable effectiveness.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/31/2018  7:16 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Dotson is getting better. If he becomes good enough to start, he could make a good trade chip in a deal for a superstar, if his path is blocked in NY by other players. Glad Fizdale gave the younger players from the previous regime a chance. Should pay dividends.

What other players would block his path? He is the best guard on the team right now, given he plays both sides of the ball with reasonable effectiveness.

Not right now, over the next couple of seasons. If Durant passes on the Knicks, Dotson might be valuable in a trade down the road.

Point is, wether he starts or not, he plays well, and we have him under contract, we're good.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/31/2018  10:35 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:He's going to be a valuable 3-and-D role player, no doubt about it.

I think he can become more than a role player.

The 30pt 10rb game last season was a key sign of his potential. With consistent minutes he can avg 15 and 6 this season.

The last game i saw this kid defend the 3 ball and he some how got the rebound under the basket, on some real westbrook sht..

We finally got some real athletic players on this squad

I think this is where we get in trouble as fans. He can shoot and defend, but there is nothing that says he can be more than a good role player. Certainly not a star. He's already 24 years old, which is young of course, but where many players enter their early prime years. He's athletic but doesn't have skills off the dribble. I think what C Lee has become over his career is a good baseline for what we can hope from Dotson. He can be a starter, but as we build this team over time, i see him as more of a 6th-7th man type. But not a knock on him at all, i am just not going to expect great things. I expect great things from Porzingis and Knox in the future. Guys like Dotson, Ntilikina, Robinson, and Trier all have potential to be good, but i am not expecting any more than high-quality role players.

Just to be clear, not being able to create off the dribble limits you to role player status?

Well it's one of many traits that can prevent a wing from becoming a star. How many star wing players can't create shots for themselves? There aren't many. Moving well without the ball can help make up for it, but ultimately that playmaking ability sets most stars from role players on the perimeter. Do you believe that's not accurate?

I guess I just think there is something between role player and star.

Depending on the 4 guys around you, moving and being there for the 3 can be just what the doctor ordered and if you do that VERY well (which remains to be see) I don't know that I need to box that person in as a role player.

But again, that just may be a terminology thing. EVERYONE is a role player to some degree, I took you to mean a lesser player than a good starter.

Yes by role player I mean complimentary player. Not a star but a quality rotation player.

Knixkik
USA
10/31/2018  10:37 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:What does 3 and D guy really mean? So these dudes aren't good enough to do anything else? Is Klay Thompson a three and D guy?

Klay just scored 52 in 26 minutes. He took over. That’s no 3 and D player. That’s a superstar.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/1/2018  3:09 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
11/1/2018  3:26 PM
martin wrote:

Woot Woot. Hopefully he gets invited to the NBA Rising Stars game.

martin
USA
11/1/2018  3:32 PM
Night and day for Dot from last year and preseason to now. Impressed.
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

11/1/2018  3:35 PM
NYKBocker wrote:
martin wrote:

He's been great, but these sort of filter stats are a bit wonky.

That 1 steal per game is probably the thing that filters a lot of other players out.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/1/2018  3:49 PM
martin wrote:Night and day for Dot from last year and preseason to now. Impressed.

wish I can say this for more guys on the roster.

There's only 3 guys on the roster that has shown a major improvement..Dot, THJ, NOAH. A-

Mario looks like last yr - C+

frank looks like last yr- C

Burke is really confused about his role, he has been as sporadic as the minutes he's getting C-

Jury still out on mudiay

Lance looks like he is in great shape, but he does nothing on offense D+

Kanter looks like he's playing for a contract, and not only is he forcing the issue against double teams, he has made some "horrendous momentum shifting turnovers" C+

The coaching staff, C-

ES
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/1/2018  3:58 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
martin wrote:

He's been great, but these sort of filter stats are a bit wonky.

That 1 steal per game is probably the thing that filters a lot of other players out.

He is having a great year. Traditional stats for his draft class are here. Ranking is based on scoring but shooting percentages etc. are all here.
https://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&DraftYear=2017
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
martin
USA
11/1/2018  4:09 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:Night and day for Dot from last year and preseason to now. Impressed.

There's only 3 guys on the roster that has shown a major improvement..Dot, THJ, NOAH. A-

Burke is really confused about his role, he has been as sporadic as the minutes he's getting C-

Jury still out on mudiay

Kanter looks like he's playing for a contract, and not only is he forcing the issue against double teams, he has made some "horrendous momentum shifting turnovers" C+

The coaching staff, C-

you are bat blind if you think Frank looks like last year. I mean, come on man. This is flat embarrassing

meloshouldgo

11/1/2018  4:28 PM
Knixkik wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:What does 3 and D guy really mean? So these dudes aren't good enough to do anything else? Is Klay Thompson a three and D guy?

Klay just scored 52 in 26 minutes. He took over. That’s no 3 and D player. That’s a superstar.

Ok - what is a 3 and D guy? It just feels like another stereotype that doesn't fit anything or team is trying to do.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/1/2018  4:48 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

Jury still out on mudiay

The coaching staff, C-

Letter grades are awesome!
Bottom line is Frank is improving and contrast to Burke regressing. Trier inclusion excludes Baker.
Dot contribution vs. Mario's inconsistency of late.
Mitch detracts from Enes role.

What is happening? We are not very good yet but there is a lot going on in just a few short games!!!
Fiz is moving a lot of things around and some are on the rise while others are being moved aside.
Pure fundamentally Frank is managing the floor very well. There are lots of deficiencies on this team. THus far most UK are pretty good emphasizing some positives. There are always those who prefer to focus on the negative.

meloshouldgo

11/1/2018  5:58 PM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Jury still out on mudiay

The coaching staff, C-

you are bat blind if you think Frank looks like last year. I mean, come on man. This is flat embarrassing

Oh, I think he sees the difference, there's just something in him that keeps him from acknowledging it.

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
11/1/2018  6:33 PM
Dotson is good. I hope he statys healthy and keeps improving. I like his D and Rebounding and he can shoot. The other part that is good is he cares!! He gets into it..great potential.

Frank has improved too. HE will only improve. NY got their backcourt of the future last year.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/1/2018  7:37 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

Jury still out on mudiay

The coaching staff, C-

I disagree on Frank and the coaching staff. I think Frank is at least a B or B+ and has improved a lot from last year. Little things he didn't do like run back to the ball to reset the offense and more aggression on offense are huge improvements.
In regards to the coaching staff, I think A or A-. The team just plays hard. I love the third quarter energy. I don't know why but losing the lead in the fourth seems so much better than those fourth quarter get close comebacks after getting blown out in the third that were the norm with Jeff.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
11/2/2018  6:58 AM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Jury still out on mudiay

The coaching staff, C-

Actually you're right, he does look a little better, but none of the guys have been game changers, but they have all showed signs, just inconsistent

ES
knicks1248
11/2/2018  8:26 AM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Jury still out on mudiay

The coaching staff, C-

Letter grades are awesome!
Bottom line is Frank is improving and contrast to Burke regressing. Trier inclusion excludes Baker.
Dot contribution vs. Mario's inconsistency of late.
Mitch detracts from Enes role.

What is happening? We are not very good yet but there is a lot going on in just a few short games!!!
Fiz is moving a lot of things around and some are on the rise while others are being moved aside.
Pure fundamentally Frank is managing the floor very well. There are lots of deficiencies on this team. THus far most UK are pretty good emphasizing some positives. There are always those who prefer to focus on the negative.

Frank does control the pace and organize the offense, but i expected to see the kind of improvement Dotson is giving us. I expected to see the same thing with mario and burke as well

I like FIZ, but he is having a hard time with his late game line ups, he has got to put the more experience guys in down the stretch of close games, or at least a favorable match up.

ES
Knixkik
USA
11/2/2018  9:08 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Ok - what is a 3 and D guy? It just feels like another stereotype that doesn't fit anything or team is trying to do.

There is a reason the term is thrown around a lot. A player who has an impact on both ends of the floor with shooting and defending but doesn't create his own shot and isn't a star. Can be anything between a role player and good starter.

Dotson's Role

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy