[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Dotson's Role
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/31/2018  9:30 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2018  9:32 AM
This kid has all the tools of being a really good player in this league.

IMO he may turn out to be our best 2 way player, kid can rebound, defend, shoot, he's strong, athletic, got the mid range game, 3 point game, and he's in great shape.

He will definitely be a candidate for "most improve player"

The one problem I see is(and this may never happen)what happens to him when we are at full strength.
KP, Knox and lee in fold?

Damyean Dotson didn’t see one second of action in the first two games of the season. Since then, the second-year guard — who has started the past two games — is averaging 13.2 points and 6.4 rebounds.

“I didn’t give him anything. He took it. He really earned his way,” Fizdale said. “Again, I couldn’t more proud of any kid on this team than Dot because he really was down on his summer league.
He really thought he had a bad summer league.

“But he came back here for that six or seven weeks and he really locked in to getting better. When I wasn’t playing him, he was making it hard on me not to play him. It was just a matter of time before he broke though.”

ES
AUTOADVERT
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
10/31/2018  9:49 AM
Dotson's a talented guy who may earn a starting role. He's got a good shot, he's not a bad defender and his rebounds are a plus. He was a good second round pick.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/31/2018  9:54 AM
Ira wrote:Dotson's a talented guy who may earn a starting role. He's got a good shot, he's not a bad defender and his rebounds are a plus. He was a good second round pick.
True. Its good to see many coming around on the 2017 draft. Both look like key pieces for the next several years
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/31/2018  10:10 AM
He's going to be a valuable 3-and-D role player, no doubt about it.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
10/31/2018  10:24 AM
He has a place and a role even when we are in full strength. He is our starter until Knox proves he deserves it, and even when that happens, he will see many minutes at 2 and 3, so there is nothing to worry about him. And his mind is in the right place because he has said he is just focused on contributing, not on starting or coming off the bench.
Knicks_Fan
knicks1248
10/31/2018  10:44 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2018  10:44 AM
Knixkik wrote:He's going to be a valuable 3-and-D role player, no doubt about it.

I think he can become more than a role player.

The 30pt 10rb game last season was a key sign of his potential. With consistent minutes he can avg 15 and 6 this season.

The last game i saw this kid defend the 3 ball and he some how got the rebound under the basket, on some real westbrook sht..

We finally got some real athletic players on this squad

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/31/2018  10:51 AM
knicks1248 wrote:This kid has all the tools of being a really good player in this league.

IMO he may turn out to be our best 2 way player, kid can rebound, defend, shoot, he's strong, athletic, got the mid range game, 3 point game, and he's in great shape.

The one problem I see is(and this may never happen)what happens to him when we are at full strength.

Damyean Dotson didn’t see one second of action in the first two games of the season. Since then, the second-year guard — who has started the past two games — is averaging 13.2 points and 6.4 rebounds.

“I didn’t give him anything. He took it. He really earned his way,” Fizdale said. “Again, I couldn’t more proud of any kid on this team than Dot because he really was down on his summer league.

“But he came back here for that six or seven weeks and he really locked in to getting better. When I wasn’t playing him, he was making it hard on me not to play him. It was just a matter of time before he broke though.”

"definitely" 2 games in on a second year player few things are definite.
Good problem to have if it comes to fruition. If he is valued by other teams he could be a nice trade asset. Overflow of talent is never a bad thing. Problem is who to pay? Maybe wait 60 or so games before we start sweating it.
We control him for this season and all of next. By then we'll know.

Cartman718
Member: #1694

10/31/2018  11:30 AM
knicks1248 wrote:This kid has all the tools of being a really good player in this league.

It's a good problem to have but assuming roster is same next year...
Mitch, KP, Knox, Dot, Frank
Timmy off bench...I wouldn't be opposed

Or...
Mitch, KP, Knox, Timmy, Frank
Dot with mins depending on wh obetween Knox, Timmy, Frank effs up

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
knicks1248
10/31/2018  11:52 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2018  11:52 AM
Cartman718 wrote:

Or...

Timmy is on pace to be an ALL star if he keeps up his play, stays healthy and we hoover around .500.

There isn't any 2019 FA SG that is better than him, or that you would even be remotely interested in. Dotson as a 6th man sounds like a good idea.

He kind of reminds me of Wilson Chandler

ES
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

10/31/2018  12:01 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

Or...

Timmy is on pace to be an ALL star if he keeps up his play, stays healthy and we hoover around .500.

There isn't any 2019 FA SG that is better than him, or that you would even be remotely interested in. Dotson as a 6th man sounds like a good idea.

A few months will tell if the distribution of the ball will continue to develop.

This would go a long way to unlocking a better FG%. He's just going to get better looks and instinctually take it to the rim more if he's getting his teammates good shots.

The tools are there for a above average player who is an asset to the winning team. Let's see if Fiz can unlock them. Early return are cautiously positive.

blkexec
Member: #748
10/31/2018  12:56 PM
Knixkik wrote:He's going to be a valuable 3-and-D role player, no doubt about it.

He makes Lee expendable!

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/31/2018  12:59 PM
blkexec wrote:

He makes Lee expendable!

LOL Lee has always been expendable and available for free!

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Cartman718
Member: #1694

10/31/2018  1:24 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:

Or...

Cool...around .500 would be another good problem to have :)

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Knixkik
USA
10/31/2018  3:26 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2018  3:28 PM
knicks1248 wrote:

The 30pt 10rb game last season was a key sign of his potential. With consistent minutes he can avg 15 and 6 this season.

The last game i saw this kid defend the 3 ball and he some how got the rebound under the basket, on some real westbrook sht..

I think this is where we get in trouble as fans. He can shoot and defend, but there is nothing that says he can be more than a good role player. Certainly not a star. He's already 24 years old, which is young of course, but where many players enter their early prime years. He's athletic but doesn't have skills off the dribble. I think what C Lee has become over his career is a good baseline for what we can hope from Dotson. He can be a starter, but as we build this team over time, i see him as more of a 6th-7th man type. But not a knock on him at all, i am just not going to expect great things. I expect great things from Porzingis and Knox in the future. Guys like Dotson, Ntilikina, Robinson, and Trier all have potential to be good, but i am not expecting any more than high-quality role players.

Knickoftime

10/31/2018  3:31 PM
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

I think this is where we get in trouble as fans. He can shoot and defend, but there is nothing that says he can be more than a good role player. Certainly not a star. He's already 24 years old, which is young of course, but where many players enter their early prime years. He's athletic but doesn't have skills off the dribble. I think what C Lee has become over his career is a good baseline for what we can hope from Dotson. He can be a starter, but as we build this team over time, i see him as more of a 6th-7th man type. But not a knock on him at all, i am just not going to expect great things. I expect great things from Porzingis and Knox in the future. Guys like Dotson, Ntilikina, Robinson, and Trier all have potential to be good, but i am not expecting any more than high-quality role players.

Just to be clear, not being able to create off the dribble limits you to role player status?

knicks1248
10/31/2018  4:22 PM
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

85% of the league are role players, some are quality role players like Jamaal Crawford, danilo, jeff green lou, types, and some are just guys passing through that will end up overseas after a 4 or 5 yrs in the NBA.

ES
Knixkik
USA
10/31/2018  4:43 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2018  4:44 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Just to be clear, not being able to create off the dribble limits you to role player status?

Well it's one of many traits that can prevent a wing from becoming a star. How many star wing players can't create shots for themselves? There aren't many. Moving well without the ball can help make up for it, but ultimately that playmaking ability sets most stars from role players on the perimeter. Do you believe that's not accurate?

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

10/31/2018  4:48 PM
What does 3 and D guy really mean? So these dudes aren't good enough to do anything else? Is Klay Thompson a three and D guy?
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Knickoftime

10/31/2018  5:42 PM
Knixkik wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Well it's one of many traits that can prevent a wing from becoming a star. How many star wing players can't create shots for themselves? There aren't many. Moving well without the ball can help make up for it, but ultimately that playmaking ability sets most stars from role players on the perimeter. Do you believe that's not accurate?

I guess I just think there is something between role player and star.

Depending on the 4 guys around you, moving and being there for the 3 can be just what the doctor ordered and if you do that VERY well (which remains to be see) I don't know that I need to box that person in as a role player.

But again, that just may be a terminology thing. EVERYONE is a role player to some degree, I took you to mean a lesser player than a good starter.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/31/2018  6:01 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:What does 3 and D guy really mean? So these dudes aren't good enough to do anything else? Is Klay Thompson a three and D guy?

I think Trevor Ariza is the perfect example of a three and D guy. He can put the ball on the floor and make decent passes. But his job on offense is to space the floor, make good cuts and make the stars better. I'll Trevor Ariza on my team any day for the right price. Klay is a different case. The dude is obviously a star. But he plays on a team with two all-time greats and, arguable, the best defender in the league. So, yeah, Klay is a 3&D guy in that scenario. Maybe, the best 3&D guy ever lol Dot was drafted because his skill set was ready made for the NBA. Will he be star? No. But I think he could be a starter on a good team.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Dotson's Role

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy