[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Notes from the stands at last night GS game. Why is anyone complaining?
Author Thread
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

10/27/2018  1:06 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:My only issue was that the starters went back in too late. I didnt expect to win but I just felt the starters deserved to try before the game got out of hand considering how great they played. Other than that I wasnt upset. I love that Fiz knows its about the kids which is what ive wanted for years

The full starting line-up was in the game at 104-96. In the NBA, that isn't out of hand. I've seen two games the last couple of days where teams up 6 lost in the last 90 seconds.

Would the momentum/chance be improved a couple mins earlier when Robinson and I think Hardaway came back in, sure

But let's not overblow what actually happened.

It is out of hand against the defending champions after you allow them to gain momentum in a game where they were clearly struggling. And your starters are coming in cold.

As I say, I clearly have been following a different sport all these years than some of you. If there was tried and true methods to stop runs in the NBA, I think I would have seen some sort of evidence of it as opposed to the exact opposite on almost a nightly basis.

Brad Stevens couldn't figure it out and had to rely on an undesigned crazy turnaround jumper by a great young player and a missed free throw to bail him out. Guess he's still learning.

One of the best players ever got hot for one of the best teams ever in an arena where opposing stars going off is relatively routine against one of the worst teams in the NBA.

The idea Fizdale could have micromanaged a solution to all of those factors is ... I can't think of word that respects community guidelines.

I'm much more impressed for 42 mins the Knicks and Warriors closed the enormous chasm between their talent and experience levels than I am that the Warriors did the Warriors thing and Durant did the Durant thing in 6 minutes.

You follow sports at all?

That's a reliable rebuttal on sports forums.

Well played.

your post didn't need rebuttal - heck I don't even know what it means.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
AUTOADVERT
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/27/2018  1:07 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:My only issue was that the starters went back in too late. I didnt expect to win but I just felt the starters deserved to try before the game got out of hand considering how great they played. Other than that I wasnt upset. I love that Fiz knows its about the kids which is what ive wanted for years

The full starting line-up was in the game at 104-96. In the NBA, that isn't out of hand. I've seen two games the last couple of days where teams up 6 lost in the last 90 seconds.

Would the momentum/chance be improved a couple mins earlier when Robinson and I think Hardaway came back in, sure

Not overblowing anything. I didnt expect us to win either way. All I said was that waiting until the lead evaporated and the warriors were in a great flow to put the starters in was not a good decision considering how well they played all game. I love fiz but im just being honest

Not questioning your honesty, but that's literally hindsight. You know when the lead evaporated so you know exactly when the starters should have theoretically come back in.

So exactly when should have Fiz known it was time to put the starters back in?

Not saying I know everything. Im just a fan. Not saying im right or wrong. Just something I wanted to see done earlier. Obviously they are a juggernaut so it wouldnt of made a difference
Knickoftime
Member: #3370

10/27/2018  1:17 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

It is out of hand against the defending champions after you allow them to gain momentum in a game where they were clearly struggling. And your starters are coming in cold.

As I say, I clearly have been following a different sport all these years than some of you. If there was tried and true methods to stop runs in the NBA, I think I would have seen some sort of evidence of it as opposed to the exact opposite on almost a nightly basis.

Brad Stevens couldn't figure it out and had to rely on an undesigned crazy turnaround jumper by a great young player and a missed free throw to bail him out. Guess he's still learning.

One of the best players ever got hot for one of the best teams ever in an arena where opposing stars going off is relatively routine against one of the worst teams in the NBA.

The idea Fizdale could have micromanaged a solution to all of those factors is ... I can't think of word that respects community guidelines.

I'm much more impressed for 42 mins the Knicks and Warriors closed the enormous chasm between their talent and experience levels than I am that the Warriors did the Warriors thing and Durant did the Durant thing in 6 minutes.

You follow sports at all?

That's a reliable rebuttal on sports forums.

Well played.

your post didn't need rebuttal - heck I don't even know what it means.

Hooked on classics today!

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
10/27/2018  1:30 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Some Pics

Dope

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

10/27/2018  1:43 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Was a great game last night. Garden was electric. First with mostly excitement about having the the champs in the house. (First time seeing KD and Curry together live). Big buzz when the starting five came out. Most were surprised. Have to say, was also taken back by the change. Specially cuz we were playing the Warriors. But boy did they come out with energy. Shots were not dropping but they were playing aggrrssive defense. Those five are Very fast and athletic. From,1 to 5.
Dotson was what I thought he can be all pre season. Super quick. Covers a lot of ground on D and not afraid on offense. Frank played with intensity on BOTH sides! Best game I have seen him play live. Kid obviously gets up for big names. (LeBron last year). Looked like the point guard some were saying he could be. Hope he can bring that type of aggressiveness on a consistent basis no matter the level of competition. Timmy was Timmy. Started slow but got it going. Guy can flat out shoot and has no conscience. Know that many on here dont like his style (would rather a guy with a good two handed chest pass) but when going up against high level guys like this "you need him on that court you want him on that court". when he is on he is a guy that can play at a ridiculous level. Kanter was visibly surprised of the benching. But came off the bench as he had something to prove. Think Fiz"s message was heard loud and clear. Robinson gave a good effort but his age showed. Do think that he is real athletic and noves so well for his size. Think we got a steal with him and Trier. Think the challenge is niw on the Knicks to develop them. Burke also played like he received the message, came off the bench with more intensity, specially on defensive side, and looked a bit more like last year. Trier looked a bit hesitant and taken back by the competition. But he had some pretty good defenders on him and had to worry about chasing Thompson. Mario played decent. Still think he needs a bit more court vision when driving. Sometimes just puts his head down and goes. As for Lance....respect the effort and attitude but he is starting to look old. Do think he can turn it around as long as he starts hitting his threes. Very vocal on the court and always coaching. Was surprised no Baker? Another Fiz message? Biggest surprise for me was Vonleh. Just continues to impress. Kid is a physical specimen. Can see him running a 4.5 and playing middle linebacker in the NFL. Another guy that has good upside on both ends. For those questioning Perry, the athleticism on the court is top notch.

Was surprised reading the game thread this morning. People complaining of Franks benching? Some complaining about Fizs minute management. Fair enough. Understand some think winning is everything. And Of course everyone has a right to their opinion. For me it was all good last night. Dont really think a win or a loss last night meant anything. Questioning what buttons could have been pushed to beat the world champs seems to be irrelevant and disconnected from whats is truly going here. Or what the goals are and should be. Think Fiz is showing why he was picked to lead this team. He can care less about ONE win or what the fans want. He has laser focusd on developing the culture and teaching these young players. Could care less about short term success. Has his eye on only long term goals. Something all claimed is what was needed and wanted around here. If no one can see that the reason we looked so good the first three quarters is because of what he is preaching, your not paying attention. Just look at how well the new first unit played and how much more energy the players that were moved to second unit had. Look at how he finally put Frank at the PG spot, after some thought starting him at 3 was a long term move. These are all parts of a bigger plan. All messages that will pay dividends when it counts. Guy is teaching. Fiz knows what he is doing. Fans should just sit back, enjoy and keep an eye on the progression of the team. Keep those learning moments coming Fiz. Even if the cost is a few meaningless wins. Super excited to see this taking place. Saw nothing but positives last night. Great night of basketball.

Btw. Probably a seperate topic. But KD and Curry together are something to watch. KD is the best offensive player I have seen, the last couple of years, in the NBA. If dreams came true he would be a Knick next year. Curry is amazing as well. Took a video of him practicing shots from half court. He was making most! For those claiming defense is the most important thing to winning Chips or guys that can pass and not take crazy shots, you have not seen these two guys play or witnessed them in the 4th quarter of last nights game. No one could have guarded those two. And they did not exactly take good wide open shots that were the result of good ball movement.

Great post!!!!

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/27/2018  2:18 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Btw. Probably a seperate topic. But KD and Curry together are something to watch. KD is the best offensive player I have seen, the last couple of years, in the NBA. If dreams came true he would be a Knick next year. Curry is amazing as well. Took a video of him practicing shots from half court. He was making most! For those claiming defense is the most important thing to winning Chips or guys that can pass and not take crazy shots, you have not seen these two guys play or witnessed them in the 4th quarter of last nights game. No one could have guarded those two. And they did not exactly take good wide open shots that were the result of good ball movement.

Hofstra, I get what you're saying. KD and Curry are all time greats for a reason. My problem is when you replace KD and Curry with Burke and Hardaway. The results won't be the same for obvious reasons. KD can shoot those fadeaways and still hit 55% while THJ is at 41%. Also, KD, Klay, Green are some of the best two-way guys in the league.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

10/27/2018  3:55 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Thanks Hofstra, you back in NY for a visit?

Now here just about every other week. Works out nice during Knick season

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
HofstraBBall

10/27/2018  4:13 PM
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Good post my friend.

Knickk fans have been hoping for years to have a young athletic team that was physically able to compete with the top tier teams of the league. We showed last night we have the athleticism to do so. They have been hoping (Expecting during the Phil years with no success or true signs of it being implemented) to have a FO and coaching staff that had a TRUE commitment to developing young players and to the rebuild. Remember the JH quotes of how it was his first priority to win games. Fiz is showing we are committed to the former. Agree, the hope that we would have stopped KD's outburst and GS comeback win by putting in the NEW first unit, a few minutes earlier, is a bit unrealistic and if you have seen GS at all in the last few years, a bit naive. I dont think putting in Frank or any of the best defenders in the league would have made any difference. But agin, maybe they would have, at this point, it is more for Fiz to continue his teaching than a chance at an unlikely win against the world champs. Yes they are that good.

But hey, some wanted to see them out there anyway. Fair enough. But now that it is over, lets focus on the positive.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
StarksEwing1

10/27/2018  4:19 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Good post my friend.

Knickk fans have been hoping for years to have a young athletic team that was physically able to compete with the top tier teams of the league. We showed last night we have the athleticism to do so. They have been hoping (Expecting during the Phil years with no success or true signs of it being implemented) to have a FO and coaching staff that had a TRUE commitment to developing young players and to the rebuild. Remember the JH quotes of how it was his first priority to win games. Fiz is showing we are committed to the former. Agree, the hope that we would have stopped KD's outburst and GS comeback win by putting in the NEW first unit, a few minutes earlier, is a bit unrealistic and if you have seen GS at all in the last few years, a bit naive. I dont think putting in Frank or any of the best defenders in the league would have made any difference. But agin, maybe they would have, at this point, it is more for Fiz to continue his teaching than a chance at an unlikely win against the world champs. Yes they are that good.

But hey, some wanted to see them out there anyway. Fair enough. But now that it is over, lets focus on the positive.

Yeah I have calmed down a little bit. I loved the way our young starters looked. Im not gonna dwell on what happened. Like you said a year from now might be a different story but for right now the important thing is letting the kid learn and go through growing pains
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/27/2018  4:29 PM
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
StarksEwing1

10/27/2018  4:31 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
I laughed after hearing this last night
HofstraBBall

10/27/2018  5:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/27/2018  5:51 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Good post my friend.

Yeah I have calmed down a little bit. I loved the way our young starters looked. Im not gonna dwell on what happened. Like you said a year from now might be a different story but for right now the important thing is letting the kid learn and go through growing pains

I hear you though. Would have been nice. Specially cuz Frank had it going.

StarksEwing1

10/27/2018  5:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/27/2018  5:56 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Knickoftime wrote:

Good post my friend.

I hear you though. Would have been nice. Specially cuz Frank had it going.

Yup. Im just happy we are handing over the keys to our future building blocks. Its the right approach. Now we just gotta get knox in there
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/27/2018  8:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/27/2018  8:06 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Thanks Hofstra, you back in NY for a visit?

Now here just about every other week. Works out nice during Knick season

Nice! Wish I had that option when I lived in Fla.

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

10/27/2018  9:46 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:Think Fiz is showing why he was picked to lead this team. He can care less about ONE win or what the fans want. He has laser focusd on developing the culture and teaching these young players. Could care less about short term success. Has his eye on only long term goals. Something all claimed is what was needed and wanted around here. If no one can see that the reason we looked so good the first three quarters is because of what he is preaching, your not paying attention. Just look at how well the new first unit played and how much more energy the players that were moved to second unit had. Look at how he finally put Frank at the PG spot, after some thought starting him at 3 was a long term move. These are all parts of a bigger plan. All messages that will pay dividends when it counts. Guy is teaching. Fiz knows what he is doing.

To be fair to Hornacek and Fisher, Fizdale was not saddled with Melo and Phil Jackson. He's got a roster full of rookies, young guys and guys playing for their next contract. He's got a situation where Dolan is hands off and a GM on the team actually trained for the job.

If you reversed the timeline with Fizdale with Fisher or Hornacek, I don't think you'd see too much difference. Talent trumps all in the NBA.

Teams do better with more talent/fewer *******s. If anything, what helped Fizdale is his wife has actual status ( not just some random jump off ) and a career. She was smart enough to befriend the wives of critical people in Miami ( Wade and LBJ's better halves) and this put Fizdale into their social circle and made everything easier for him to deal with those star players.

This is not to say Fizdale is a bad coach.

It's just it's time to be fair to both Fisher and Hornacek here. If you put Fizdae into either of those situations, people here wouldn't be talking so glowingly.

HofstraBBall

10/29/2018  9:07 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/29/2018  11:41 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:Think Fiz is showing why he was picked to lead this team. He can care less about ONE win or what the fans want. He has laser focusd on developing the culture and teaching these young players. Could care less about short term success. Has his eye on only long term goals. Something all claimed is what was needed and wanted around here. If no one can see that the reason we looked so good the first three quarters is because of what he is preaching, your not paying attention. Just look at how well the new first unit played and how much more energy the players that were moved to second unit had. Look at how he finally put Frank at the PG spot, after some thought starting him at 3 was a long term move. These are all parts of a bigger plan. All messages that will pay dividends when it counts. Guy is teaching. Fiz knows what he is doing.

To be fair to Hornacek and Fisher, Fizdale was not saddled with Melo and Phil Jackson. He's got a roster full of rookies, young guys and guys playing for their next contract. He's got a situation where Dolan is hands off and a GM on the team actually trained for the job.

If you reversed the timeline with Fizdale with Fisher or Hornacek, I don't think you'd see too much difference. Talent trumps all in the NBA.

Teams do better with more talent/fewer *******s. If anything, what helped Fizdale is his wife has actual status ( not just some random jump off ) and a career. She was smart enough to befriend the wives of critical people in Miami ( Wade and LBJ's better halves) and this put Fizdale into their social circle and made everything easier for him to deal with those star players.

It's just it's time to be fair to both Fisher and Hornacek here. If you put Fizdae into either of those situations, people here wouldn't be talking so glowingly.

Your ignoring the biggest difference between Fiz and JH/Fish. Fiz would have never taken a position to be Phil's puppet. For me, the blame for those years is solely on Phil Jackson. Melo was just one player. You can compare him to what Fiz now has in Timmy, which is a high volume shooter. That still has not kept Fiz from putting a premium on developing ALL his young players and holding players accountable. Don't really want to get into how Phil chose to trade for aging scrubs, gave up on some of our young pieces and claimed to be about rebuilding but continued to make more moves to the contrary. Fish was never qualified to be a coach in the NBA. He was seen as the easiest to control. So that's that. JH never had the respect that Fiz has. He did not have a history of developing players. His philosophy was totally different. JH was quoted several times that he coaches to win. Think Fiz is coaching to develop. Agree that their situations were obviosly more restrictive, but again, the fact those two willingly allowed themselves to be put in that situation, is what distinguishes them the most. I am glad that we now have the right guys in place.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/29/2018  11:57 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

Did you just say "to be fair to... Fisher"??? Derek Fisher??? Don't you have anything in the mirror that addresses "don't be stupid enough to bone some deranged ex-teammate's estranged wife publicly while coaching in the NBA"? Derek Fisher's main problem was being saddled with Derek Fisher. Although working with what turned out to be the league's almost worst, ridiculously overpaid rookie executive is a fair mention, although that is how one gets to be a booby prize in the Steve Kerr sweepstakes to begin with.

Fizdale has yoots up the wazoo, and everyone loves yoots. They're fresh and shiny. They scream potential and playing into the common vibe of those on here who dream of "ball the right way" "make others around you better" "both ends of the court" "I remember jacking off into my oatmeal watching DLee and Gallo playing together..." blah blah blah. It's a moot point, anyway. Phil was never going to hire anyone the likes of Fizdale anyway. JH was hired to fail.

I'm a Yankee fan. Almost everyone loves homegrown stories. Everyone loves Jeter/Judge. Nobody loves ARod/Giancarlo.

Notes from the stands at last night GS game. Why is anyone complaining?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy