KP possibility after a losing season
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
10/18/2018  2:43 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:It's hilarious around here and so damn bias..

Some of you refuse to entertain signing kyrie and others because of an injured history, but feel obligated to sign KP just because we drafted him although he's been injured every single yr he's been in the league.

yeah lets max him out.

If im mills i'm offering him a (just coming off major injury) contract, about 18 mill per for 2 yrs

So first you feel that Knicks won't be able to sign him unless they win 35-40 games to show that they are on the come up. But then you also feel that Perry should low ball KP with 18 mil per over 2 years to prove his health?

Seems like a contradictory set of viewpoints. You made the thread claiming Knicks will have a hard time retaining KP. Posters provided reasons why Knicks have a way higher probability to retain KP. You then attempt to spin that into Kyrie bias.

And if KP refuses that deal and feels disrespected then what would you do Knicks1248?

You definitely don't low-ball Porzingis. We are trying to change the culture. You pay him, and hope he repays the favor later in his career when we want to add more talent around him, similar to what Duncan and Dirk did.

AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/18/2018  4:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2018  4:30 PM
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Some of you refuse to entertain signing kyrie and others because of an injured history, but feel obligated to sign KP just because we drafted him although he's been injured every single yr he's been in the league.

yeah lets max him out.

If im mills i'm offering him a (just coming off major injury) contract, about 18 mill per for 2 yrs

So first you feel that Knicks won't be able to sign him unless they win 35-40 games to show that they are on the come up. But then you also feel that Perry should low ball KP with 18 mil per over 2 years to prove his health?

Seems like a contradictory set of viewpoints. You made the thread claiming Knicks will have a hard time retaining KP. Posters provided reasons why Knicks have a way higher probability to retain KP. You then attempt to spin that into Kyrie bias.

And if KP refuses that deal and feels disrespected then what would you do Knicks1248?

You definitely don't low-ball Porzingis. We are trying to change the culture. You pay him, and hope he repays the favor later in his career when we want to add more talent around him, similar to what Duncan and Dirk did.

All I'm saying is, how many players in your life time did the knicks max out that even came close to being worth it.

KP hasn't even came close to sniffing the playoffs let alone a winning record

Kp has only played 65% of his games in 3 season do to injury and fatigue...and for that he deserves a max contract, did kp earn a max contract. How hard can it be to negotiate a reasonable contract.

If you give him a max contract, it better be laced with incentives, like GAMES PLAYED, Playoff berth and so forth, Just like the pelicans did with AD. If he doesn't want it then I'm sure you can find a real good trade out there.

Im just concerned because the knicks have had a history of giving a player a lot of $$$$ and get very little results in return. So if mills is hell bent on not making the same mistakes other knick prez/GMs have made(which it looks like he doesn't) he will do the whats best for the franchise.

Telling a reporter to go ask KP how he feels about not getting an extension (knowing that he's not obligated to talk to the media while injured)is a signed that this was more on the knicks then kp.

I'm not saying I don't want him, because I love his potential, I'm just getting flash backs of all the horrific contracts the knick's have given out in my life time

ES
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/18/2018  5:28 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

yeah lets max him out.

All I'm saying is, how many players in your life time did the knicks max out that even came close to being worth it.

Kp has only played 65% of his games in 3 season do to injury and fatigue...and for that he deserves a max contract, did kp earn a max contract. How hard can it be to negotiate a reasonable contract.

If you give him a max contract, it better be laced with incentives, like GAMES PLAYED, Playoff berth and so forth, Just like the pelicans did with AD. If he doesn't want it then I'm sure you can find a real good trade out there.

Im just concerned because the knicks have had a history of giving a player a lot of $$$$ and get very little results in return. So if mills is hell bent on not making the same mistakes other knick prez/GMs have made(which it looks like he doesn't) he will do the whats best for the franchise.

Telling a reporter to go ask KP how he feels about not getting an extension (knowing that he's not obligated to talk to the media while injured)is a signed that this was more on the knicks then kp.

I'm not saying I don't want him, because I love his potential, I'm just getting flash backs of all the horrific contracts the knick's have given out in my life time

Unfortunately for you, your logic does not hold one iota of how the real world works and how it will work for KP and the Knicks.

Knicks front office to KP: "Wait to sign til next offseason and we'll give you max extension."

KP: "OK"

End of conversation.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/18/2018  5:31 PM
Not so long ago it looked from a distance that KP might pass up on max money, the franchise was in such bad shape. I wouldnt put it past him.

Dont see that happening now. See the Knicks confident that KP understands why they havent given him a new deal. That they're on the same page. KP wanted the Knicks to find talent on his timetable, Perry/Mills have done that.

Avoid signing more cap killing retreads, they've done that.

The only thing I can see putting the kibosh on KP staying is another serious injury, soon after returning. Dont see that happening.

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/18/2018  5:46 PM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

yeah lets max him out.

Unfortunately for you, your logic does not hold one iota of how the real world works and how it will work for KP and the Knicks.

Knicks front office to KP: "Wait to sign til next offseason and we'll give you max extension."

End of conversation.

Yup it’s that simple. He knows they will be able to sign a max FA that way with that extra 10 mil in space. And Knicks will limit him back on the court this year to protect his value.

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

10/18/2018  6:42 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Him not signing a max deal is a clear sign that him and his camp are motivated by wins not money.

Zinger is not signing an extension is because one is not on the table.

Knicks have incentive to wait, so they'll wait.

If Zinger was motivated ONLY by winning, he'd leave the Knicks as soon as possible. I hate saying that as a fan, but the Knicks are not going to contend in Zingers 2nd contract timeline. If he stays on the Knicks, it's because he did pick the money OR they matched a RFA offer.

knicks1248
10/18/2018  7:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2018  7:17 PM
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

yeah lets max him out.

End of conversation.

Exactly, It all seems like a No brainer

And that's how perry should have answered that question, but he didn't.

The end of the conversation comes when someone can simple answer this?

Your against the franchise investing max money into a UFA with a injury history.
But your completely on board in investing max money in your own RFA with a injury history, that's like the most hypocritical and bias statement you can possible make...

Keep it 100 across the board

If the culture is to earn your keep, your role, your minutes, that's how it's Supposed to be across the board. Especially if the FO is preaching "we're not jumping at the next shiny thing"..OK cool...I'm all for resigning him, but not for the max, unless he comes back and shows me WTF im im getting for my $$$$.

Thats the real world.

Based on what i interpt from the FO, they are leaving their options wide open, both parties perhaps, and they should..

ES
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/18/2018  7:52 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

yeah lets max him out.

End of conversation.

Your against the franchise investing max money into a UFA with a injury history.
But your completely on board in investing max money in your own RFA with a injury history, that's like the most hypocritical and bias statement you can possible make...

If the culture is to earn your keep, your role, your minutes, that's how it's Supposed to be across the board. Especially if the FO is preaching "we're not jumping at the next shiny thing"..OK cool...I'm all for resigning him, but not for the max, unless he comes back and shows me WTF im im getting for my $$$$.

Thats the real world.

Based on what i interpt from the FO, they are leaving their options wide open, both parties perhaps, and they should..

again you are making it unnecessarily complicated. KP is gonna be here just like ever other all star coming off their rookie deal
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/18/2018  8:40 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
martin wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

yeah lets max him out.

End of conversation.

Thats the real world.

I think there are more people that would welcome Kyrie as a FA then not. I believe there are only a handful of people that would t want to sign Kyrie for Max. I do t think Martin was in teh boat for not signing Kyrie but not sure. Kyrie due to tenure can command money in the 200mil range though I believe. KP will command 157 and hasn't even reached his prime yet.

Knicks aren't in position to be arrogant like they can replace or aquire a KP level player any time they want. Them not paying KP yet has very little to do with his medical history and way more to do with the fact that they add 10mil in cap space to attempt to pursue a Max FA. They would have maxed KO out already If they were going to be over the cap next off-season.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
doomed
Member: #1078
USA
10/18/2018  9:57 PM
What on earth is the op talking about.
doomed
Member: #1078
USA
10/18/2018  9:58 PM
Seriously, the opening post is so flawed, so wrong...every single word of it is wrong. It’s uncanny.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/18/2018  10:07 PM
doomed wrote:What on earth is the op talking about.
I ask the same question every time he posts
TripleThreat

10/19/2018  1:00 AM
knicks1248 wrote:Exactly, It all seems like a No brainer

This may come as a shock to you, but 99.999999999 percent of the time, the sports media frames their questions to try to trap players/executives/agents/owners into saying something they can spin into controversy.

99.999999999 percent of the responses given to the media mean nothing. Zero.

No competent GM/head coach is going to tell you what he's really thinking or feeling. The rare exception would be something like Stan Van Gundy about to get fired and shell shocks Dwight Howard in the press.

When people here say, this is what the team will do, the coach will do, the GM will do because he said this, I have no ****ing idea what the hell they are talking about.

No one tells the truth to the sports media. No one. No point in it.

Perry's answers are to find the best pathway to avoid a negative headline.

"Do you want to sign Zinger to a max extension as soon as possible?"

"We LOVE Zinger. He's great, so talented, we are happy he's doing so well in his rehab, we love him on this team, and we want him back soon. We want him here forever. But everything happens in due time, right now let's talk about the next team on the schedule, the "Fill In The Blank" team. "

What else are you supposed to ****ing say?

You and your wife run into another couple you know who had a baby. Baby has a face that could stop time itself. They ask you if it's just the most adorable baby on the planet. You think it's Rosemary's Baby Part 2. What the **** are you gonna say? That the baby is ugly?

We believe in Jason Giambi!

My name is Tom Coughlin and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the job Kevin Gilbride is doing!

Brian Schottenheimer is just a really talented coordinator and this season people will really see him take this offense to a new level!

Kevin Maas is the best teammate anyone could have, skies are the limit!

Feel free to tell someone their baby is ugly. See how that **** works out for you, homie.

wargames
Member: #6053

10/19/2018  10:00 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

This may come as a shock to you, but 99.999999999 percent of the time, the sports media frames their questions to try to trap players/executives/agents/owners into saying something they can spin into controversy.

No competent GM/head coach is going to tell you what he's really thinking or feeling. The rare exception would be something like Stan Van Gundy about to get fired and shell shocks Dwight Howard in the press.

When people here say, this is what the team will do, the coach will do, the GM will do because he said this, I have no ****ing idea what the hell they are talking about.

"We LOVE Zinger. He's great, so talented, we are happy he's doing so well in his rehab, we love him on this team, and we want him back soon. We want him here forever. But everything happens in due time, right now let's talk about the next team on the schedule, the "Fill In The Blank" team. "

You and your wife run into another couple you know who had a baby. Baby has a face that could stop time itself. They ask you if it's just the most adorable baby on the planet. You think it's Rosemary's Baby Part 2. What the **** are you gonna say? That the baby is ugly?

My name is Tom Coughlin and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the job Kevin Gilbride is doing!

Brian Schottenheimer is just a really talented coordinator and this season people will really see him take this offense to a new level!

Feel free to tell someone their baby is ugly. See how that **** works out for you, homie.

I wish there was some sort of rep system so I could give you some for this post.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/19/2018  10:59 AM
wargames wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

I wish there was some sort of rep system so I could give you some for this post.

Honesty is the best policy, tell him his face is ugly

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Juliano
Member: #7589

10/19/2018  12:32 PM
martin wrote:Honesty is the best policy, tell him his face is ugly

Cooper: Hey TARS, what's your honesty parameter?

TARS: 90 percent.

Cooper: 90 percent?

TARS: Absolute honesty isn't always the most diplomatic nor the safest form of communication with emotional beings.

Cooper: Okay, 90 percent it is.

From Interstellar ;-)

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/20/2018  12:33 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/20/2018  2:51 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

yeah lets max him out.

How many players did the knicks draft that were even in the discussion to offer a max contract?

RainMan1248 talks like Knicks have a genetic disposition to overpay. The history based on circumstances on the team composition THEN, the player involved, and the purpose of that player. No doubt there has been some severely bad contracts but we are talking about a 22 year old who in his first year as option was allstar bound.
Are we worried about Phils doubts about a player this tall? Of course. I pay him max, this kid might be HOF bound based on talent and size. I have never seen a kid 7'3 so things as he does. Its a risk. Thats life!

TripleThreat

10/20/2018  7:29 PM
knicks1248 wrote:All I'm saying is, how many players in your life time did the knicks max out that even came close to being worth it.

You make some valid points about concern about Zinger's durability. Also the nature of NBA modern history in terms of boom/bust with max contracts.

The deeper issue that can't be ignored are BIRD RIGHTS. If you want to construct a team that can win, let's not even talk contender status here, but just a playoff team with a chance to get past the first round, then you need to spend money and you need the Bird Rights of most of the players on your roster.

After LBJ and The Decision, the league functionally killed most of high level free agency. Occasionally big dollars with move, but it's simply too complicated to build a winning team via free agency and trade as the bedrock. '

If the Knicks HOPE to win in the future ( I agree with you there are concerns and there is no guarantee) they need a player of Zinger's upside WITH HIS BIRD RIGHTS. The Knicks have literally nothing to trade without gutting their team, so trading for Bird Rights to an elite player is not viable in the next 3-4 years. The money factor means other non Knicks teams will have every advantage in resigning their own guys. Given the Knicks only true leverage point is max AAV and max years over any other offer, the Knicks just won't be competitive unless there is something wrong with the free agent.

Zinger has positional value, he's young, he has upside, but more critically, the Knicks HAVE HIS BIRD RIGHTS. This is where being a "Cash Rich" team works in their favor.

Trading Zinger now means cents on the dollar. Even if you could get Bird Rights of a different player in a trade, you won't get getting full trade value.

From a scouting perspective, you HAVE A POINT. From a resource management perspective, YOU ARE WRONG. The resource management perspective trumps all. If you fail the resource management side, you've lost already, before you even have played one game. Your next argument is the contract could blow up in the Knicks face. And that's true, but you are seeing good chance versus bad chance.

The reality is slim to none chance to absolutely zero chance.

Giving Zinger the max has some level of high risk of return. No doubt. But this situation is better than nothing. The alternative is absolutely nothing.

It's like being deserted on an island with the ugliest woman you've ever seen and with zero chance of rescue and zero chance of anyone else ever being on that island again. She's got HIV, herpes, the clap, jagged teeth, a ****ty attitude, she's 400 pounds, bad skin, rude, a mouth breather. You say to yourself, who would want to **** this? Well it's this or never ****ing ever again.

Rough deal. Or nothing. That's it. It's that simple.

Zinger would be more like a muffin top with bad acne and won't shut up ever. Given risk/reward, it could be a hell of a lot worse.

You have a point. You are also wrong.

knicks1248
1/31/2019  3:43 PM
I told you soooooooooo

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25893669/kristaps-porzingis-concerned-losing-direction-new-york-knicks

ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/31/2019  4:09 PM
knicks1248 wrote:I told you soooooooooo

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25893669/kristaps-porzingis-concerned-losing-direction-new-york-knicks

You did. Rainman counted cards.

KP possibility after a losing season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy