[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

KP possibility after a losing season
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/16/2018  11:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/16/2018  11:20 PM
I think the contract extension was a mutual decision, janis said he wasn't signing anything theuntil knicks basically start winning or showing promise.

To me It's the smartest thing(so far) mills has done since he's been associated with the the franchise

If Kp doesn't play this year would you max him out, knowing that there's NO DATA (straight from kp's mouth) to determine how a player that size will respond from a injury that devastating?

I Also don't think 29 wins will keep kp, nothing good has come out of each of the last 55+ loss season but frustration, drama, change, THJ, Baker, lee, noah aafflo type signings.

But Perry strangely demurred when asked directly if Porzingis is happy with his contract situation.

“That’s a question you’d have to ask him,” Perry said. “But I think Kristaps and his representation, they are very — he’s rehabbing very well. We’re pleased to see the progress that he’s making with that. I think one of his goals where we are lined up is that this team be in a position to be very competitive moving forward.”

What happen to just saying both sides are happy with the agreement, That's a little bit of shady answer, like a brush off, go ask him how he feels.

Most of us believe

The reason for the delay — other than Porzingis not yet proving he’s the same player after ACL surgery — is that, by waiting, the Knicks will have $10 million more in cap space in 2019. Ahead of the deadline, the Knicks could have given him a $155 million extension.

In a nutshell, the Knicks could re-sign Porzingis in July and go over the cap in doing so, as long as they keep a cap hold on. Porzingis could well be torn. He probably wanted financial security now rather than later, but also understands the strategy because his goal is to play for a winner.

For more info

https://nypost.com/2018/10/16/knicks-gms-curious-response-about-if-porzingis-is-happy-with-deal/

29 wins will be a disaster for everybody, and no matter how good I feel about fiz, we have seen reputations get shattered within months. From larry, to Lenny, to phil, to walsh, the list is crazy, it was all a great big fuzzy feeling when they all hopped on board.

If Fiz have these players looking like crap and losing 7 tp 10 in a row, watch how fast the kum-ba-ya crowd disperse

But if he starts beating the odds, he'll be the king of NY.

This is a really important season

ES
AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/17/2018  1:03 AM
knicks1248 wrote:I think the contract extension was a mutual decision, janis said he wasn't signing anything theuntil knicks basically start winning or showing promise.

To me It's the smartest thing(so far) mills has done since he's been associated with the the franchise

If Kp doesn't play this year would you max him out, knowing that there's NO DATA (straight from kp's mouth) to determine how a player that size will respond from a injury that devastating?

I Also don't think 29 wins will keep kp, nothing good has come out of each of the last 55+ loss season but frustration, drama, change, THJ, Baker, lee, noah aafflo type signings.

But Perry strangely demurred when asked directly if Porzingis is happy with his contract situation.

“That’s a question you’d have to ask him,” Perry said. “But I think Kristaps and his representation, they are very — he’s rehabbing very well. We’re pleased to see the progress that he’s making with that. I think one of his goals where we are lined up is that this team be in a position to be very competitive moving forward.”

What happen to just saying both sides are happy with the agreement, That's a little bit of shady answer, like a brush off, go ask him how he feels.

Most of us believe

The reason for the delay — other than Porzingis not yet proving he’s the same player after ACL surgery — is that, by waiting, the Knicks will have $10 million more in cap space in 2019. Ahead of the deadline, the Knicks could have given him a $155 million extension.

In a nutshell, the Knicks could re-sign Porzingis in July and go over the cap in doing so, as long as they keep a cap hold on. Porzingis could well be torn. He probably wanted financial security now rather than later, but also understands the strategy because his goal is to play for a winner.

For more info

https://nypost.com/2018/10/16/knicks-gms-curious-response-about-if-porzingis-is-happy-with-deal/

29 wins will be a disaster for everybody, and no matter how good I feel about fiz, we have seen reputations get shattered within months. From larry, to Lenny, to phil, to walsh, the list is crazy, it was all a great big fuzzy feeling when they all hopped on board.

If Fiz have these players looking like crap and losing 7 tp 10 in a row, watch how fast the kum-ba-ya crowd disperse

Hes clearly talking about biting the bullet on an extension so that the Knicks will have extra cap space to sign him some high quality help. Playing for a contender is the vision they sold him on when explaining to him why they aren't going to offer him an extension yet. KP will play for the Knicks at minimal the last year of his 2nd contract.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
TheGame
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1154
USA
10/17/2018  6:15 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/17/2018  6:16 AM
KP is going to be a max player and he will be a restricted free agent. Even if KP signed with another team, the Knicks would match, and another team could only sign him for four years. This is much ado about nothing. KP is going to be a Knick for at least another 4 years.
Trust the Process
Gudris
Member: #6213

10/17/2018  6:31 AM
TheGame wrote:KP is going to be a max player and he will be a restricted free agent. Even if KP signed with another team, the Knicks would match, and another team could only sign him for four years. This is much ado about nothing. KP is going to be a Knick for at least another 4 years.

totally agree, fake news, KP understands that is better for everybody if he really wants to win

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
10/17/2018  8:06 AM
knicks1248 wrote:I think the contract extension was a mutual decision, janis said he wasn't signing anything theuntil knicks basically start winning or showing promise.

Most of us believe

For more info

Why you assume other teams will think about KP differently that the Knicks?
Its a market and KP is a investment commodity.
Knicks management cannot afford not to match any offer KP will get after his market value will be established being this max or not.
Unless they will know something factual that other teams will not know which is possible but of very small probability.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
knicks1248
10/17/2018  8:26 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/17/2018  8:28 AM
TheGame wrote:KP is going to be a max player and he will be a restricted free agent. Even if KP signed with another team, the Knicks would match, and another team could only sign him for four years. This is much ado about nothing. KP is going to be a Knick for at least another 4 years.

That's the ideal plan, but you been around long enough to know losing brings misery, and that good vibe goes away, it doesn't matter if your in a development stage.

I don't know if I resign him if he I can't see him play this season, you have to think about what we went through with Amare, Houston, Camby, LJ. Maxing out a player who's actually playing less and less games each season he's been in the league.

I recall Steph Curry receiving a very modest rookie contract extension from GS because of his chronic ankle injuries

ES
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/17/2018  8:59 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

i really can't believe that:

a. you would expect this team wouild possibly win more than 29 games

b. you would believe that the success of this season is predicated on wins

imo this is a developmental season. period. develop the rookies and frank to be our upcoming core. see who can play out of the other young players and who's moving forward with us. prepare the young team that's going to add kp, a high #1 and a FA or 2 next year. it's a rebuild.

knicks1248
10/17/2018  9:15 AM
ES
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/17/2018  9:17 AM
Look we all want the knicks to win. But lets be realistic we are a young team who will be without our best player for most if not all the year. KP isnt going anywhere no matter how many games we win. Free agents understand the situation but they also understand the knicks are compiling a lot of good young talent that makes us more attractive than previous year. Also getting another top pick is another great thing.
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
10/17/2018  9:21 AM
arkrud wrote:

Most of us believe

For more info

Why you assume other teams will think about KP differently that the Knicks?
Its a market and KP is a investment commodity.
Knicks management cannot afford not to match any offer KP will get after his market value will be established being this max or not.
Unless they will know something factual that other teams will not know which is possible but of very small probability.

With guys at KP's level you just have to pay what you have to pay. Philly signed Embiid to a max (even though I think they included some injury provision), and he played far less than KP. KP will probably come back by the end of January. Hopefully, he stays healthy, but even if he gets hurt again, we are going to sign him to the max and hope for the best. Unless something turns up in the medicals showing that he has some type of chronic injury, we just have to sign him and hope for the best. Other teams are going to give him the max, so we have no choice but to pay it.

Trust the Process
knicks1248
10/17/2018  9:24 AM
Marv wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

imo this is a developmental season. period. develop the rookies and frank to be our upcoming core. see who can play out of the other young players and who's moving forward with us. prepare the young team that's going to add kp, a high #1 and a FA or 2 next year. it's a rebuild.

we won 29 games last yr in the same kind of development mode we are in this yr, and what happen to the coach and his staff.

When your losing, some players will start to tune the coach out, they will stop playing hard, lose focus, start thinking about their next team. You will never see happy players in a losing environment

35 to 42 wins shows promise, anything less than that, your starting from scratch next yr, Mark my words.

ES
Marv
10/17/2018  9:33 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Marv wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

we won 29 games last yr in the same kind of development mode we are in this yr, and what happen to the coach and his staff.

When your losing, some players will start to tune the coach out, they will stop playing hard, lose focus, start thinking about their next team. You will never see happy players in a losing environment

35 to 42 wins shows promise, anything less than that, your starting from scratch next yr, Mark my words.

not if the team is playing scrappy, hustling team ball like stevens had the celtics playing his couple of first seasons when their record was terrible. and not if minutes are going to robinson, trier, knox, frank.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
10/17/2018  9:41 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/17/2018  9:42 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Marv wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Last year was the organizing time.
New management was assessing the mess left after 15 years of mismanagement and turmoil.
It was no roster, no structure, lame duck coach, and the rest of the stuff.
The organization was morally and practically bankrupt.
Now we are in first year of rebuilding everything and this will take a long time.
Knicks are at the bottom or below the bottom of NBA.
In light of this truth all you screams about some urgency is laughable.
If winning is something you cannot leave without pick Warriors or Boston for next 3-5 years to root for.
Then come back to Knicks fandom. It will not be a lot of winning next coupe of years in the Garden.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/17/2018  9:48 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Marv wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

not really true. You can tell they really like fiz. The Knicks are on the right track but its probably not gonna happen this year. This year is all about letting the kids grow,hopefully getting kp back later in the season,getting another good talent in the draft,then getting ready for free agency
Gudris
Member: #6213

10/17/2018  9:56 AM
We are 8th seed 100% this year, east are super weak
Marv
10/17/2018  10:03 AM
Gudris wrote:We are 8th seed 100% this year, east are super weak

be interested to hear your breakdown on how this team looks on the court that leads to 41 wins this year.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

10/17/2018  10:05 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/17/2018  11:07 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Look we all want the knicks to win. But lets be realistic we are a young team who will be without our best player for most if not all the year. KP isnt going anywhere no matter how many games we win. Free agents understand the situation but they also understand the knicks are compiling a lot of good young talent that makes us more attractive than previous year. Also getting another top pick is another great thing.

I agree that KP will stay with us. And that we will surprise some this year. However, you cant rule out the possibility that his team may want him to be in a winning situation over signing the max with the Knicks. As other top tier players (LBJ, KD) have shown, it is not that important, to them, to sign max extensions anymore. They would rather keep flexibility and be on a winning team. It is more about building their brands then getting an extra year on one contract. I think that if the Knicks don't show signs of winning or get a key free agent in the summer, there is a good chance he does not sign a long term deal. Which would signal the start of his way out.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
knicks1248
10/17/2018  10:28 AM
Him not signing a max deal is a clear sign that him and his camp are motivated by wins not money.
ES
knicks1248
10/17/2018  10:32 AM
Marv wrote:
Gudris wrote:We are 8th seed 100% this year, east are super weak

be interested to hear your breakdown on how this team looks on the court that leads to 41 wins this year.

You can be a little over avg simply by playing hard, focus and being well prepared, then become elite when you add a couple of top tier players.

ES
Marv
10/17/2018  10:36 AM
knicks1248 wrote:Him not signing a max deal is a clear sign that him and his camp are motivated by wins not money.

and arranging this so the knicks get an extra $10M for FA's in 2019 isn't a mutual investment in winning???

KP possibility after a losing season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy