OT-NBA Season Thread-Around the NBA HORN
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/11/2019  5:07 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Lin bought out by the hawks and is joining the craptors, excellent move for them and good insurance in case Lowrys back breaks down

Calling this "Insurance" is like calling Wendy's a high end restaurant.

Just kidding. Think Lin will take the Raptors to the same heights he took Houston, Lakers, Hornets, Nets and Hawks.

Only reason he was brought in is because VanVleet is out 3 weeks. May be waived after that.

Lowry has also had low back issues, right? Feel like it's insurance for everyone

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
2/11/2019  5:22 PM
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Lin bought out by the hawks and is joining the craptors, excellent move for them and good insurance in case Lowrys back breaks down

Just kidding. Think Lin will take the Raptors to the same heights he took Houston, Lakers, Hornets, Nets and Hawks.

Only reason he was brought in is because VanVleet is out 3 weeks. May be waived after that.

Lowry has also had low back issues, right? Feel like it's insurance for everyone

I hope this time next year its us signing these ring chasing buy outs

HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

2/11/2019  7:08 PM
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Possibly. Lowry looked pretty good the other night. Did seem to be a bit on cruise though. Specially in first quarter. Do think Lin was picked up for VanVleet though. We will see what happens to Lin once Vanvleet comes back. Do think Lin is a good back up for most teams though.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

2/11/2019  7:15 PM
Not sure if you guys seen this yet....Hilarious

Chandler
Member: #6197

2/11/2019  7:19 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Possibly. Lowry looked pretty good the other night. Did seem to be a bit on cruise though. Specially in first quarter. Do think Lin was picked up for VanVleet though. We will see what happens to Lin once Vanvleet comes back. Do think Lin is a good back up for most teams though.

what's the scoop with Vanvleet. Wasn't he being praised just last year?

(5)(5)
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

2/11/2019  9:53 PM
Uptown wrote:Not sure if you guys seen this yet....Hilarious

That is funny!

Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
2/12/2019  4:16 AM
Uptown wrote:Not sure if you guys seen this yet....Hilarious

Hahahaha awesome!

Knicks_Fan
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

2/12/2019  5:09 PM
Gross, but he may kiss the bride!
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
2/14/2019  9:16 AM
Can somebody tell me how the hell Scott Layden gets a job with the TWolves after being out of the league for over 15 years?
Trading Jeff Van Gundy for a second rounder..... SMFH
Trades Ewing, signs Felton Spenser.

And no, I don't know why I care.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/14/2019  2:21 PM
I don't think you can blame Layden for signing Fatton. Also, Ewing forced the trade. You can blame him for the return the Knicks got tho.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
2/14/2019  2:37 PM
jrodmc wrote:Can somebody tell me how the hell Scott Layden gets a job with the TWolves after being out of the league for over 15 years?

Layden was brought in with the intention of being the number cruncher/admin for Dave Checketts, who would be making all the decisions. However shortly afterwards Checketts was forced out, and Layden ended up being the shot caller (which was never the intention when Checketts hired him), a role for which he was terribly suited.

Ironically, Thibs hired him at the Twolves with the intention of him being the number cruncher/admin, only to get ousted, thus leaving Layden once again as the decision maker. Look out Twolves!

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
2/15/2019  10:04 AM
smackeddog wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Can somebody tell me how the hell Scott Layden gets a job with the TWolves after being out of the league for over 15 years?

Layden was brought in with the intention of being the number cruncher/admin for Dave Checketts, who would be making all the decisions. However shortly afterwards Checketts was forced out, and Layden ended up being the shot caller (which was never the intention when Checketts hired him), a role for which he was terribly suited.

Ironically, Thibs hired him at the Twolves with the intention of him being the number cruncher/admin, only to get ousted, thus leaving Layden once again as the decision maker. Look out Twolves!

They've already mentioned the owner has a replacement GM in mind. Number cruncher/admin? Why not just buy a new version of Excel spreadsheet?

smackeddog
2/15/2019  11:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2019  11:44 AM
jrodmc wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

They've already mentioned the owner has a replacement GM in mind. Number cruncher/admin? Why not just buy a new version of Excel spreadsheet?

I used to hate Layden so much back then- even that picture of him at the Knicks practice with him wearing sandals pushed me over the edge!

Those nifty moves in full:

Scott Layden became Knicks GM in 99.

Draft, trade and signing history:

Trade 2000 1st rounder to Suns in Ewing deal
Trade 2001 1st rounder along with Childs to Raptors for Mark Jackson and Mugsy

02: drafts Nene and trades him along with M. Jackson, Camby to Denver for McDyess fresh off major knee surgery, a 2nd rounder and Frank Williams. McDyess ended up playing only 18 games for them in 2 years.

03: Drafts Sweetney over David West, Diaw, Pietrus, Ridnour, Outlaw, Barbosa and Josh Howard

Also took Lampe in 2nd round over Mo Williams and Kyle Korver

In 1999 he resigns Sprewell for 5ry $62 mil.
In 2000 he traded Ewing for Glen Rice, Longley and Travis Knight and Vernon Maxwell.

In 2001 he traded Erick Strickland, a first and 2nd round pick to Grizzlies for Othella Harrington. (first round pick turned out to be Jamal Tinsley)

In the 01/02 season he resigned Allan Houston for 6yr $100 mil. He also traded Rice and Bogues in a 3 team deal that landed them Howard Eisley and Shandon Anderson. That deal put them on the hook for 6yrs each at a combined $77 mil, which was about $47 mil more worth of contracts that they traded away and put them deeper against the cap.

In the 03/04 season he traded Sprewell in a 4 team trade that landed them Van Horn. Signed Mutombo to 2yr deal.

In Dec 03 he was fired.

https://www.nbadraft.net/node/11700

smackeddog
2/15/2019  11:59 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2019  11:59 AM
While looking up Layden's record, I stumbled upon McHale's Twolves abomination, however what struck me was how harsh the nba's punishment was when they found out about the secret Joe Smith deal:

The Wolves lost their 1st rounds picks in 2000, 01, 02 and 04 because of secret Joe Smith deal.

Yikes, that was brutal (especially considering they were over the cap so had no way of upgrading the roster)

Uptown

2/15/2019  12:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2019  12:49 PM

Demps may have made a personal decision, not a business decision in refusing to deal with the Lakers. Keep in mind, players requesting trades before the trade deadline have normally been dealt before the deadline passes. Melo requested a trade to the Knicks and got dealt, George requested a trade and got moved to OKC, Our very own KP was moved.....Seems like Perry, Ujiri and the Indy GM had the foresight to move the disgruntled star because the aftermath of keeping them on the team would be a mess. Demps didnt account for this and it cost him his job. Indy was able to find another team to move George to but Demps couldn't...

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/15/2019  1:01 PM
Uptown wrote:

Demps may have made a personal decision, not a business decision in refusing to deal with the Lakers. Keep in mind, players requesting trades before the trade deadline have normally been dealt before the deadline passes. Melo requested a trade to the Knicks and got dealt, George requested a trade and got moved to OKC, Our very own KP was moved.....Seems like Perry, Ujiri and the Indy GM had the foresight to move the disgruntled star because the aftermath of keeping them on the team would be a mess. Demps didnt account for this and it cost him his job. Indy was able to find another team to move George to but Demps couldn't...

a little bit of apples and oranges? AD still got 1 more year fully under contract before he can opt out

And obviously still waiting on Boston

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Uptown

2/15/2019  1:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/15/2019  1:10 PM
martin wrote:
Uptown wrote:

a little bit of apples and oranges? AD still got 1 more year fully under contract before he can opt out

And obviously still waiting on Boston

Paul George was still under contract for another year when Indy dealt him too...As I'm reading up on this situation, sounds like Demps was close to being on the outs even before the AD trade request....Apparently Monty Williams and now Gentry has had problems with Demps...Even David Stern called Demps a lousy GM...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25075452/david-stern-dell-demps-new-orleans-pelicans-lousy-general-manager

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/15/2019  5:23 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
martin wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Lin played well his first game.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/16/2019  8:51 AM    LAST EDITED: 2/16/2019  8:52 AM

HE was an assistant coach and most recently was RC Bufords Assistant GM in San Antonio.
Dolan fired him because he resisted the Marbury trade.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/16/2019  11:32 AM
Tim Connelly a no name non starphuch who took over from Masai when he bolted Denver was rewarded with a new contract in part for doing a great job there rebuilding the franchise.
Contrast to the ****storm in NOLA where Gayle Benson is running things and Dell Demps fired in a hissy fit over what is obviously a bad scenario.
I tend to blame ownership when a franchise goes awry. My point is ownership pays the money and an employee alone cannot make 100million dollar plus decisions without a clear path where ownership and management are on the same page. Seems Denver post Melo got its act together with the Kronke family (they own a lot of sports properties) got their act together (I think the son now runs sports properties) and has had a muliti year process that is finally paying off.

TO understand this might want to revisit knicks history with Dolan overstepping Checketts and hiring neophyte Layden who might have had a good run if left alone. Instead the starphuch that dolan wanted seemed to permeate decisions over and over. Remember Dolans infatuation with Vin Baker whom he could relate to because of their alcohol abuse issues? I long blame Dolan for the Dice trade, moving Layden for Isiah and the circus that ensued.
Dolan gets it right to hand the keys to MIlls, but then ****blocks him with PHil.
In its current form we might have the first normal functioning FO in decades. Results will be known only over time.
Kudos to Tim Connolly and the non starphcuhers who rise up to run successful franchises!
Perhaps Jeannie Buss to displace her brother had to hire one (a starphuch) in Magic Johnson to move the franchise forward. Rob Polinka formally Kobes agent is not the GM. Reality is Magic is the GM and Polinka assumes the financial aspect. Don't matter who is who in a tandem. That's why the Phil/mills thing gets convoluted for some. MIlls was GM by name. My evidence is he was hired as President, but phil got moved to that role. MIlls was a financial guy. when phil was made gone Mills reassumes the President title and hires a GM. Not some Sherlock Holmes shyt here. Just common sense. Some have it, some don't.

OT-NBA Season Thread-Around the NBA HORN

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy