[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Frank haters can suck it
Author Thread
TheGame
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1154
USA
10/18/2018  1:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2018  1:38 PM
I disagree with Frank being used primarily as a SF. Frank's main advantage on offense is he can see and shoot over most pgs. They need to let Frank play the point for at least half his time on the court and have him post up more. Frank can score fine on offense if you run plays for him and put him in pnr plays. Burke played alright but I still feel he would be better coming off the bench. Fiz is giving Baker more minutes at point than Frank, which seems counterproductive.

In any event, I will admit that Frank needs to start taking more shots. His problem is he plays unselfish basketball and does not force a shot unless he is open. Yesterday, there were at least a couple of shots he missed because he was hesitant to shoot them. Instead of just making the decision that it is my turn to make something happen, he was looking to pass until right before he took the shots and it threw him off. He needs to go into every game saying I am going to take 8-10 shots no matter what and stop looking to only shoot as a last resort. The kid can score. It is more mental than a lack of ability.

Trust the Process
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/18/2018  2:02 PM
Uptown wrote:
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Marv wrote:i know people get tired of the chauncey reference but man, he languished in the league for 7 years as a meh player. 7 years! and 5 teams! then he took off and was all-world for years. i think detroit was glad they had a player like that for years of his prime.

Billups was a different prospect than Frank. Billup was one of if not the best HS BB player in the state of Colorado. Billups was a way more advanced scorer in HS and College than Frank was at the same age. He averaged 18pts per in college over the course of 55 games...

all true. but frank did average 20 ppg in his final euro championships which is very high level ball . . .

In what year? I pulled some stats and it came up as Euro 2016 championships....if that's the one you are talking about, he averaged 15 pts per over 6 games.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/frank-ntilikina-u18-european-championship-scouting-analysis-5821/

French guard and potential lottery pick Frank Ntilikina turned in an impressive six-game performance at the 2016 FIBA U18 European Championships in December, leading France to a title despite battling an illness early on in the tournament. After scoring only 7.3 points per game through the first three contests, Ntilikina finished the tournament averaging 22.7 points, 6.7 assists, 3.2 steals, 1.7 blocks and 5.0 turnovers per 40 minutes on 42.4% from two-point range and 58.6% from three-point range
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

10/18/2018  2:17 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Marv wrote:i know people get tired of the chauncey reference but man, he languished in the league for 7 years as a meh player. 7 years! and 5 teams! then he took off and was all-world for years. i think detroit was glad they had a player like that for years of his prime.

Billups was a different prospect than Frank. Billup was one of if not the best HS BB player in the state of Colorado. Billups was a way more advanced scorer in HS and College than Frank was at the same age. He averaged 18pts per in college over the course of 55 games...

all true. but frank did average 20 ppg in his final euro championships which is very high level ball . . .

In what year? I pulled some stats and it came up as Euro 2016 championships....if that's the one you are talking about, he averaged 15 pts per over 6 games.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/frank-ntilikina-u18-european-championship-scouting-analysis-5821/

French guard and potential lottery pick Frank Ntilikina turned in an impressive six-game performance at the 2016 FIBA U18 European Championships in December, leading France to a title despite battling an illness early on in the tournament. After scoring only 7.3 points per game through the first three contests, Ntilikina finished the tournament averaging 22.7 points, 6.7 assists, 3.2 steals, 1.7 blocks and 5.0 turnovers per 40 minutes on 42.4% from two-point range and 58.6% from three-point range

Thanks for finding it...the potential to hunt for his shot is there. However, Thus far, I haven't seen any indication that Frank can come anywhere near putting up similar numbers in the NBA. Its more mental than physical at this point. He shot ain't broke and he can get to the basket, but he still hesitates at times and other times he doesn't even look at the basket. Hopefully, Fizdale can instill some confidence in him. Knox, Trier and Mario for damn sure have no problems jacking them up.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/18/2018  2:37 PM
Uptown wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Uptown wrote:
Marv wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Thanks for finding it...the potential to hunt for his shot is there. However, Thus far, I haven't seen any indication that Frank can come anywhere near putting up similar numbers in the NBA. Its more mental than physical at this point. He shot ain't broke and he can get to the basket, but he still hesitates at times and other times he doesn't even look at the basket. Hopefully, Fizdale can instill some confidence in him. Knox, Trier and Mario for damn sure have no problems jacking them up.

Dont you think Frank is smart enough to know that those guys need those shots and he doesnt?
I get wanting to see more, but I just dont think you are. At least not this year. Eventually he will learn and start to hunt for his own shot. Right now that is not his strength in the NBA. We can see the improvements, but right now Frank is an excellent defensive player and can guard multiple spots. I love that he's on the floor with scorers. Also if he is the PG of the future playing the role as a distributor and ball mover is not a bad thing either.

If he's playing 30mpg the ball is going to find him. I am mostly excited that he's on the floor playing big minutes.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
USA
10/18/2018  4:14 PM
the NY Post wrote:David Fizdale’s decision to start Frank Ntilikina at the swing position paid off, and the coach didn’t care an iota about Ntilikina’s modest five-point, one-assist, 2-of-7 showing. Ntilikina did what he did best: defend. He notched three steals, five rebounds, a block and one big deflection that created a fast-break hoop for Tim Hardaway Jr. in 33 minutes.

“I thought he played a great game,” Fizdale said. “I know you don’t see it on the stat sheet, but he really defended. It stood out. You can’t say you didn’t see it. He got after it. He made it tough — every catch, every entry pass, every shot was contested, every rotation was right. He’s an elite defender.”

It should be noted he scored the first bucket of the season — a 3-pointer after the Knicks missed their first nine shots. Fizdale came to town with a defensive reputation from the Pat Riley school, and the Knicks were active with ball pressure and created 12 steals. Fizdale loved the “effort level and communication” and commended Trey Burke and Ron Baker for “setting the tone, picking up the ball [early] every possession.”

Panos
Member: #520
10/18/2018  5:56 PM
fishmike wrote:
the NY Post wrote:David Fizdale's decision to start Frank Ntilikina at the swing position paid off, and the coach didn't care an iota about Ntilikina;s modest five-point, one-assist, 2-of-7 showing. Ntilikina did what he did best: defend. He notched three steals, five rebounds, a block and one big deflection that created a fast-break hoop for Tim Hardaway Jr. in 33 minutes.

"I thought he played a great game," Fizdale said. "I know you don't see it on the stat sheet, but he really defended. It stood out. You can't say you didn't see it. He got after it. He made it tough " every catch, every entry pass, every shot was contested, every rotation was right. He's an elite defender."

It should be noted he scored the first bucket of the season " a 3-pointer after the Knicks missed their first nine shots. Fizdale came to town with a defensive reputation from the Pat Riley school, and the Knicks were active with ball pressure and created 12 steals. Fizdale loved the "effort level and communication" and commended Trey Burke and Ron Baker for "setting the tone, picking up the ball [early] every possession.";

He still had the worst +/- on the team. The team won by 20 pts and he was -2. That stat takes defense and ball moving into account, if I'm not mistaken.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/18/2018  6:18 PM
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:
the NY Post wrote:David Fizdale's decision to start Frank Ntilikina at the swing position paid off, and the coach didn't care an iota about Ntilikina;s modest five-point, one-assist, 2-of-7 showing. Ntilikina did what he did best: defend. He notched three steals, five rebounds, a block and one big deflection that created a fast-break hoop for Tim Hardaway Jr. in 33 minutes.

"I thought he played a great game," Fizdale said. "I know you don't see it on the stat sheet, but he really defended. It stood out. You can't say you didn't see it. He got after it. He made it tough " every catch, every entry pass, every shot was contested, every rotation was right. He's an elite defender."

It should be noted he scored the first bucket of the season " a 3-pointer after the Knicks missed their first nine shots. Fizdale came to town with a defensive reputation from the Pat Riley school, and the Knicks were active with ball pressure and created 12 steals. Fizdale loved the "effort level and communication" and commended Trey Burke and Ron Baker for "setting the tone, picking up the ball [early] every possession.";

He still had the worst +/- on the team. The team won by 20 pts and he was -2. That stat takes defense and ball moving into account, if I'm not mistaken.

I think on most nights its obvious when he is on the floor we have a better chance to win than if he wasnt
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

10/18/2018  8:43 PM
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I noticed that as well.

34 Minutes with Frank on the Floor Knicks -2
14 minutes Frank off the Floor Knicks +21

And I will wait for the spin

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/18/2018  8:45 PM
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:

Frank has a whole season of data showing that of all the positive lineups the Knicks put out. He was involved in like 85% of them. And we are talking about a ton of lineup combinations.

His plus/minus hasnt been much of an issue so far in his career. It's his ability to consistently produce box stats.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
10/18/2018  8:54 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I noticed that as well.

I mean your replying to a direct quote from the head coach lol.

fishmike
USA
10/18/2018  9:09 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I noticed that as well.

I know... "the spin" comes from Fizdale.

But I will play. Did you watch the game? If you did you will notice the Knicks missed their first 8 shots. Frank was on the floor for that. Indeed it was Frank's 3 that started the offense. Then when the 2nd unit came in they, like the starters also struggled. Frank was the only starter on the floor, but he was there for the two stretches during the game the Knicks struggled. Its not that hard to figure out.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201810170NYK.html

Frank did have the 2nd highest defensive rating behind Mario. Eye test confirms as both guys were excellent on D and gave up very little.

Panos
Member: #520
10/18/2018  9:28 PM
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I noticed that as well.

But I will play. Did you watch the game? If you did you will notice the Knicks missed their first 8 shots. Frank was on the floor for that. Indeed it was Frank's 3 that started the offense. Then when the 2nd unit came in they, like the starters also struggled. Frank was the only starter on the floor, but he was there for the two stretches during the game the Knicks struggled. Its not that hard to figure out.

Frank did have the 2nd highest defensive rating behind Mario. Eye test confirms as both guys were excellent on D and gave up very little.

So what you're saying is that Frank was the common denominator when the Knicks sucked on the floor. Thanks for clarifying.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

10/18/2018  9:33 PM
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I noticed that as well.

I get a kick out of it at this point. Like I mentioned before when Perry came in they thought Frank was trade bait because he was a "phil pick". The reality is that Perry views him as a important part of the future and despite many teams calling about Frank, Perry has no interest in trading him. Then when Fiz was hired they said he would be the odd man out because he doesnt fit into the up tempo" pace. Once again the reality is that Fiz trusts him more than anyone.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/18/2018  9:53 PM
TheGame wrote:I disagree with Frank being used primarily as a SF. Frank's main advantage on offense is he can see and shoot over most pgs. They need to let Frank play the point for at least half his time on the court and have him post up more. Frank can score fine on offense if you run plays for him and put him in pnr plays. Burke played alright but I still feel he would be better coming off the bench. Fiz is giving Baker more minutes at point than Frank, which seems counterproductive.

In any event, I will admit that Frank needs to start taking more shots. His problem is he plays unselfish basketball and does not force a shot unless he is open. Yesterday, there were at least a couple of shots he missed because he was hesitant to shoot them. Instead of just making the decision that it is my turn to make something happen, he was looking to pass until right before he took the shots and it threw him off. He needs to go into every game saying I am going to take 8-10 shots no matter what and stop looking to only shoot as a last resort. The kid can score. It is more mental than a lack of ability.

in regards to post play, Woj had a podcast with Zach Lowe today. Part of the conversation was about coaching Lebron. One of the things mentioned was that Spolestra and Fiz got a lot more out of LeBron than other coaches. I believe they said Fiz improved Lebron's post up game but I was distracted and will need to listen again.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

10/19/2018  5:27 AM
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I noticed that as well.

Look I don't have a problem with Frank he will be an above average NBA player I just enjoy the mental gymnastics that are continually used to prove that he is better than he is. The goalposts have been really moved since drafting him. I had posters telling me he was better than Jason Kidd, than when it was clear he wasn't a PG, he was a SF like Kawahii, now he is compared to Aaron Mckie.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/19/2018  7:17 AM
Marv wrote:an observation - only fish could create a thread telling people to suck it - and get 13 pages of responses.

I do that Cartman reminds to take my meds and Knicks1248 gives me a middle name!

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/19/2018  7:57 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I noticed that as well.

Look I don't have a problem with Frank he will be an above average NBA player I just enjoy the mental gymnastics that are continually used to prove that he is better than he is. The goalposts have been really moved since drafting him. I had posters telling me he was better than Jason Kidd, than when it was clear he wasn't a PG, he was a SF like Kawahii, now he is compared to Aaron Mckie.

just tell those people, “u’re idiots. it’s clear he’s the next chauncey billups.”

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/19/2018  8:21 AM
Spin this:

Knicks won. Despite knox was 4-16.
Frank played most minutes. He was on the floor on awful first quarter. He likely was out on some of that torrid 2nd quarter when Timmy Showed that flash of why he is paid like an average SG in the league.

Frank got beat a few times? It’s the freaking NBA, this happens frequently to all players!!!

newyorknewyork
10/19/2018  9:44 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I noticed that as well.

Can't take anyone serious when they say he was better than Jason Kidd. That's not worth commenting about. He has also been called a Kwahi and Aron Mckie type player since the draft. Those aren't new comparisons, and its not based purely off of stats.

Frank has shown good defensive ability, flashes on offense and he is still one of the youngest players in the league. Just let him develop, when he is in the last year of his rookie contract then we can start to decide what he is.

fishmike
USA
10/19/2018  10:46 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
fishmike wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Panos wrote:
fishmike wrote:

I noticed that as well.

like who? No reasonable person here has said that.

Frank is Frank. We dont know where he ends up playing. We dont know how good he ends up being. Some have said all along he's a great prospect. Thats all some have said. OThers have said he's a "triangle PG" who was only selected for that, which is some of the dumbest **** I read around here.

Where are mental gymnastics? Frank played the most minutes. He's earned a big role in year two. He's earned his spot by doing what the coach has asked, and so far its translates into one great game.

Should Knick fans NOT be excited that Frank has upside to be one of the best defensive players in the league? And that goal may even be realized this year or next? As we see him offense and skills improve as well yea.. "he will be an above average player."

Aaron McKie? Yea sure... thats Frank TODAY. So at 20 he's a versatile guy who can lock down multiple spots. Ill take that in year 2 as him improves.

Frank haters can suck it

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy