[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Game Thread: Opening night and the feeling is right!
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/19/2018  10:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/19/2018  10:49 AM
Chandler wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:
fishmike wrote:With Baker/Enes/Mario we have like the most spastic white guys in the league

haha like when baker did his impersonation of Sanchez's buttfumble but fortunately got bailed out by the ref

Im not a Baker fan. He plays incredibly hard. So much so he's done some really stupid things like getting hurt trying to block Anthony Davis. Last night he played almost 30 minutes. A few things stand out. He's not a PG. His handle is substandard by NBA PG standards, and by a lot. His shooting remains suspect, but damn... the coach stuck with him and a few things happened. He energizes his teammates. He get under the skin of other teams. If you have ever played any sport with contact guys like Ron Baker are insufferable (unless they are on your squad, then you resent them but acknowledge their usefullness)
It worked. Baker played a ton of minutes and he was a big contributor.

It really also shows Baker's value on the club. Does anyone realize how important it is for a coach like Fizdal to say to his guys he expects them to play as hard as Ron Baker?

Will be nice to see if/how they sustain the effort vs. NJ

I actually like Baker. A little disappointed that his shooting hasn't come around since it looked like he could shoot off-ball in college. And I think his handle is fine though he'll never razzle dazzle a guy out of his shoes.

I think where Baker contributes most is in establishing the tone that to win you need to play hard for the full 48 minutes. The great Larry Bird teams had that mantra. In fact i think it was the only response Robert Parrish ever told reporters after a loss.

As a team (with Melo being a lead culprit) we have failed at that. Take plays off. DOn't play D. DOn't set professional screens. DOn't box out. DOn't follow shots (that you know you missed) etc.

If we change that characteristic alone around I'll be a much happier fan; that and attacking the rim to shoot close or draw fouls.

Surprised that someone who has shown he's clearly not afraid of contact, is so reluctant to drive to the rim. Baker and Frank seem too worried about getting their shot blocked, an ugly take to the rim.

Only way they are going to get past that hesitation is to do what Knox is doing. Not worrying how ugly it gets, attack. Only way to get through it. Every time Knox drives, its like an "at bat". Knox is learning, every time he goes at a defender. Baker and Frank cant learn if they dont consistently do the same.

Fizdale's system seems to be playing to Baker's strenghts though. Keeping the ball moving, pushing the tempo.

AUTOADVERT
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/19/2018  10:50 AM
BigRedDog wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Chandler wrote:
fishmike wrote:With Baker/Enes/Mario we have like the most spastic white guys in the league

haha like when baker did his impersonation of Sanchez's buttfumble but fortunately got bailed out by the ref

Im not a Baker fan. He plays incredibly hard. So much so he's done some really stupid things like getting hurt trying to block Anthony Davis. Last night he played almost 30 minutes. A few things stand out. He's not a PG. His handle is substandard by NBA PG standards, and by a lot. His shooting remains suspect, but damn... the coach stuck with him and a few things happened. He energizes his teammates. He get under the skin of other teams. If you have ever played any sport with contact guys like Ron Baker are insufferable (unless they are on your squad, then you resent them but acknowledge their usefullness)
It worked. Baker played a ton of minutes and he was a big contributor.

It really also shows Baker's value on the club. Does anyone realize how important it is for a coach like Fizdal to say to his guys he expects them to play as hard as Ron Baker?

Will be nice to see if/how they sustain the effort vs. NJ

I am not a Baker fan either. I thought he had a bad 1st half last night. Defense was over rated, so many times his man beat him one on one. He also has this fake hustle. Fouls his man trying to go over a screen 40' from the basket, just not smart. His shot still sucks and he is NOT a pg, can't distribute the ball. The Mark Sanchez play was sad. Agreed his 2nd half was better. If you watch Baker during timeouts he cares more about his hair than whats going on, always fixing his fuking hair.

I cant ****ing stomach anyone who makes Lin look like Kobe Bryant. Even for a minute. Fuhuck trading THJr, trade Baker now.

I suppose all spastic white guys look the same. Sounds like profiling to me.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/19/2018  10:53 AM
technomaster wrote:Ron Baker. I don't know why he's been such a poor shooter in the NBA. Open shots are open shots... though the 3pt line is farther back...

Old scouting report from NBAdraft.net
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/ron-baker

Article from the Players Tribune. "Play Angry"
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/ron-baker-wichita-state-shockers-basketball-play-angry

Same

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

10/19/2018  11:47 AM
martin wrote:
technomaster wrote:Ron Baker. I don't know why he's been such a poor shooter in the NBA. Open shots are open shots... though the 3pt line is farther back...

Old scouting report from NBAdraft.net
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/ron-baker

Article from the Players Tribune. "Play Angry"
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/ron-baker-wichita-state-shockers-basketball-play-angry

Same

when I saw college footage he was playing off ball and seemed to have nice rhythm on his shot. I think playing the point has changed his mentality. Even if he's off ball he's thinking facilitate more instead of if I catch a pass with an open look i'm shooting.

My fingers are crossed on this guy

(5)(5)
Game Thread: Opening night and the feeling is right!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy