[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Assuming we miss out on Irving and the other top tier players, who do you target?
Author Thread
PhilinLA
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #696
9/20/2018  4:55 PM
Keeping hitting on players in the draft,and look at RFA's and such.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
AUTOADVERT
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

9/20/2018  6:07 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/22/2018  10:48 AM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Gudris wrote:If KP comes back as all-star, and another youngs show potential to be an all-star next season, we really do not need to sign top free agent

Lets just say for the sake of arguement.... Frank takes 2 steps forward this season and plays maybe 2 tiers below all star level. He does maybe 13 points, 35% from 3, 6 assists, more aggresive and continued great defense Do we even need Irving? I could venture and say no.

I don't think we need Irving, period. He has however put up decent advanced stats last year. His Vorp and DWS both went higher, his plus minus has always been pretty good given that he is a volume scorer but does also set up others. I do always worry about the injury and I compared him to STAT somewhere. I think those surgically repaired knees will eventually fail him. He will never be a good or great defender but if he is one of the two primary scorers his volume production is adequate in making him a net positive player.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
wargames
Member: #6053

9/20/2018  6:53 PM
First I got to say I agree with Perry when he said lets see if the current roster can earn a long term spot.

If we have money left over after signing any expiring contracts we already have on the roster. I would hope they go after Julius Randle 1st and see if he can play a combo 4/5 next to KP's 4/5. He would be another fastbreak threat and could work in the paint if KP trails to shoot the 3. Also while everyone is talking about going after Kyrie, there is going to be a need for a rebounder once Enes leaves. KP is ok at it but not great.

Anyhow here is coach Fiz on Julius at Center

A line up of

Frank
Timmy
Knox
Randle
KP

Bench
Burke
Mario
Mitch
Rookie

With Mitch, they would also have the personnel to play KP at the 4 in case they go up against longer lineups.

Yeah, this team doesn't have a traditional high scoring PG. It does have a ton of ball handlers though who can drive and shoot. If they luck up into a RJ barret, Romeo Langford, or Cam reddish in the draft that team becomes even more deadly.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/20/2018  7:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/20/2018  7:39 PM
wargames wrote:First I got to say I agree with Perry when he said lets see if the current roster can earn a long term spot.

If we have money left over after signing any expiring contracts we already have on the roster. I would hope they go after Julius Randle 1st and see if he can play a combo 4/5 next to KP's 4/5. He would be another fastbreak threat and could work in the paint if KP trails to shoot the 3. Also while everyone is talking about going after Kyrie, there is going to be a need for a rebounder once Enes leaves. KP is ok at it but not great.

Anyhow here is coach Fiz on Julius at Center

A line up of

Frank
Timmy
Knox
Randle
KP

Bench
Burke
Mario
Mitch
Rookie

With Mitch, they would also have the personnel to play KP at the 4 in case they go up against longer lineups.

Yeah, this team doesn't have a traditional high scoring PG. It does have a ton of ball handlers though who can drive and shoot. If they luck up into a RJ barret, Romeo Langford, or Cam reddish in the draft that team becomes even more deadly.

Randle is exactly the type of player we have to go for as soon as he will became available.
And if the opportunity present itself I have no doubt Knicks will.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

9/20/2018  11:32 PM
smackeddog wrote:Other second tier players are: Kemba Walker, Cousins (NO!), Horford (too old), Tobias Harris, Bledsoe (no), DeAndre jordon (too old), Harrison Barnes.

Cousins.

DMC is a legit franchise player.

After Thompson and Durant, he's the player most likely to change a team's trajectory. The injury is troubling. He's also a headcase.

Bizarrely enough, it would have been super interesting to see DMC in the triangle offense. He's a lethal passer. I'd say his passing is well noted but still underrated. He's not on the level of Sabonis Sr, but he's up there.

Had he not been injured, I think the Lakers would have maxed him along with LBJ ( assuming they would have found a way to dump other salary)

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/21/2018  8:34 AM
Randle signed with the Pels for two years.
wargames

9/21/2018  8:55 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/21/2018  8:56 AM
Nalod wrote:Randle signed with the Pels for two years.

Randle signed a contract with a player option for year 2. He is underpaid at 9 million this season considering his production.

He's very likely to opt out because he played on par with Aaron Gordon who got around 19 mil a year. 19 mil is also what I think he'll get next year too. It'll give the Knicks around 14 mil to go after other free agents (or keep their own) before they then have to go over the cap to keep KP.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/21/2018  9:54 AM
Does Nola have more cap space next year? pared with Davis might be great for both.
In my mind KP is our power forward still a few years. MitRob timeline is still undetermined and Knox still seems like a prototype SF.
Its fun to speculate no doubt but more than ever things are cloudy on knicks but in a good way for a change!
wargames

9/21/2018  6:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/21/2018  6:23 PM
Nalod wrote:Does Nola have more cap space next year? pared with Davis might be great for both.
In my mind KP is our power forward still a few years. MitRob timeline is still undetermined and Knox still seems like a prototype SF.
Its fun to speculate no doubt but more than ever things are cloudy on knicks but in a good way for a change!

Their cap space is funky, Mirotic shooting fits what they need more in a PF, and he is a FA this year too. They really need outside shooting to let Anthony Davis work inside, they tried to force Cousins there alongside AD, but it wasn't a great fit. I have a feeling Randle will be the same since offensively he likes driving lanes and working in the paint. Its not a coincidence he started playing better next to Brook Lopez who also shoots the 3. Honestly, Courtney Lee for Randle would help both teams, but Courtney's age would probably kill that deal.

Now Randle and KP however

https://elitesportsny.com/2017/12/13/new-york-knicks-julius-randle-is-the-perfect-fit-alongside-kristaps-porzingis/

I think they would work well beside each other. Offensively and defensively Randle has the strength to play center (like Draymond) but would benefit from KP's rim protection. Also depending on the matchup KP wouldn't need to guard the perimeter and could stay closer to the rim if needed. offensively the knicks could do a 4 man out with randle inside (like they do with kanter) but would have the ability for more drivers in transition with Randle there.

Its all speculation, but if the knicks miss out on Kyrie and/or KD I would want them to pivot this way hard.

wargames

9/21/2018  8:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/21/2018  8:47 PM

Yeah this thread might have to become the 2019 offseason cause Kyrie does not sound like he is coming to NY at all

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

9/21/2018  10:12 PM
wargames wrote:

Randle signed a contract with a player option for year 2. He is underpaid at 9 million this season considering his production.

He's very likely to opt out because he played on par with Aaron Gordon who got around 19 mil a year. 19 mil is also what I think he'll get next year too. It'll give the Knicks around 14 mil to go after other free agents (or keep their own) before they then have to go over the cap to keep KP.

Is he really "underpaid"?

Or were several guys like Mozgov, Deng, Noah, Biyombo, etc were vastly overpaid in the largest cap spike in the sports entire history?

Randle's numbers have some loft to them. He can't defend the rim, he can't space the floor. He could develop a consistent three point shot over time, it's possible but not guaranteed. I don't think he'll ever be able to defend the rim and quarterback a good defense. High effort but in a contract year. Cleaned up a bit physically in his contract year but you'd like to see a commitment to true fitness from the start.

"Counting stats" have to be seen in context of the entire situation.

He's not versatile/efficient enough to be a primary scoring option. He's not skilled enough to contribute as a 3rd/4th option on a very good team.

Zinger needs to play with someone who can defend the rim. Being the only rim protector forces Zinger to burn the candle hard on both ends. Not good for his injury history.

Depends on cost. Randle for his current contract is fine. More than that? It wouldn't look good long term.

wargames

9/22/2018  12:06 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
wargames wrote:

Or were several guys like Mozgov, Deng, Noah, Biyombo, etc were vastly overpaid in the largest cap spike in the sports entire history?

Randle's numbers have some loft to them. He can't defend the rim, he can't space the floor. He could develop a consistent three point shot over time, it's possible but not guaranteed. I don't think he'll ever be able to defend the rim and quarterback a good defense. High effort but in a contract year. Cleaned up a bit physically in his contract year but you'd like to see a commitment to true fitness from the start.

He's not versatile/efficient enough to be a primary scoring option. He's not skilled enough to contribute as a 3rd/4th option on a very good team.

Zinger needs to play with someone who can defend the rim. Being the only rim protector forces Zinger to burn the candle hard on both ends. Not good for his injury history.

Depends on cost. Randle for his current contract is fine. More than that? It wouldn't look good long term.

I consider him underpaid by comparing him to Aaron Gordon whose stats were close to his own and the only time Aaron did play noticeably better was when he had avg 10 more minutes a game early last season. I'll admit that Randle can't defend the rim, but will counter that most teams do not have multiple rim protectors play together at the same time. What he could do is switch enough on defense to play on the perimeter where he was able to lock down John Wall last year enough for the Lakers to have a comeback win.

I agree that Randle is not a primary scoring option. However, outside of KD, Kawhi, and Kyrie I don't think any of the 2019 FA are confirmed primary scorers and that is including Klay whose never had to be that guy in GS and Butler who can score but doesn't make the players around him better.

I do think Julius could operate as a 3rd option, potentially a 2nd option as an inside/outside game with KP. Add in hopefully Knox and Hardaway chipping in points as well and that is a pretty balanced team. Last season he had monster games against the top 5 defenses in the league, a few triple-doubles (pts, rb, and assist), and played great small ball defense.

Julius had one freak injury and has been in healthy since playing in three 74 plus game seasons straight.

Once you get out of the KD, Kyrie, Klay, Kawhi, and Butler range he is likely going to be one of the top FA available next year. Also while scoring is nice the Knicks are going to sorely need rebounding too.

knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
9/22/2018  1:26 AM
I like Julius Randle.
Hell NO to DMC, let some other team get strapped to him. You can't build a winning team around that type of player.
Rose is not the answer.
meloshouldgo

9/22/2018  11:06 AM
wargames wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
wargames wrote:

I consider him underpaid by comparing him to Aaron Gordon whose stats were close to his own and the only time Aaron did play noticeably better was when he had avg 10 more minutes a game early last season. I'll admit that Randle can't defend the rim, but will counter that most teams do not have multiple rim protectors play together at the same time. What he could do is switch enough on defense to play on the perimeter where he was able to lock down John Wall last year enough for the Lakers to have a comeback win.

I agree that Randle is not a primary scoring option. However, outside of KD, Kawhi, and Kyrie I don't think any of the 2019 FA are confirmed primary scorers and that is including Klay whose never had to be that guy in GS and Butler who can score but doesn't make the players around him better.

I do think Julius could operate as a 3rd option, potentially a 2nd option as an inside/outside game with KP. Add in hopefully Knox and Hardaway chipping in points as well and that is a pretty balanced team. Last season he had monster games against the top 5 defenses in the league, a few triple-doubles (pts, rb, and assist), and played great small ball defense.

Julius had one freak injury and has been in healthy since playing in three 74 plus game seasons straight.

Once you get out of the KD, Kyrie, Klay, Kawhi, and Butler range he is likely going to be one of the top FA available next year. Also while scoring is nice the Knicks are going to sorely need rebounding too.

I would love have a guy like Randle next to KP. We need versatile defenders in ALL positions and we also need a perimiter defending big in the worst way especially if Knox isn't going to be very good at defense. I am also interested in seeing what Mitchell Robinsn can do. If we can swing a Kanter of Randle either directly or via multiple trades that would be awesome. It's hard to dislike Kanter for who he is, but Randle and KP together would be worth the price.

meloshouldgo

9/22/2018  1:14 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
wargames wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
wargames wrote:

I would love have a guy like Randle next to KP. We need versatile defenders in ALL positions and we also need a perimiter defending big in the worst way especially if Knox isn't going to be very good at defense. I am also interested in seeing what Mitchell Robinsn can do. If we can swap Kanter for Randle either directly or via multiple trades that would be awesome. It's hard to dislike Kanter for who he is, but Randle and KP together would be worth the price.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/22/2018  1:15 PM
I can't find the post but someone posted taking the approach the Knicks did when they signed Allan Houston. Looking for younger guys that project out to be really good. Kelly Oubre was mentioned as a potential target. The Wizards will not be able to keep Oubre with their cap situation unless something changes. If the Nets go all in and are successful at signing to max guys they might be forced to not bring back RHJ. Being opportunistic instead of just chasing the biggest fish might be the best plan.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
wargames

9/22/2018  2:15 PM
CrushAlot wrote:I can't find the post but someone posted taking the approach the Knicks did when they signed Allan Houston. Looking for younger guys that project out to be really good. Kelly Oubre was mentioned as a potential target. The Wizards will not be able to keep Oubre with their cap situation unless something changes. If the Nets go all in and are successful at signing to max guys they might be forced to not bring back RHJ. Being opportunistic instead of just chasing the biggest fish might be the best plan.

Kelly should definitely be on the radar! Here is a really good article on his Free Agency

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffsiegel/2018/08/28/kelly-oubre-washington-wizards-extension/#587a496e63af

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/22/2018  2:56 PM
wargames wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:I can't find the post but someone posted taking the approach the Knicks did when they signed Allan Houston. Looking for younger guys that project out to be really good. Kelly Oubre was mentioned as a potential target. The Wizards will not be able to keep Oubre with their cap situation unless something changes. If the Nets go all in and are successful at signing to max guys they might be forced to not bring back RHJ. Being opportunistic instead of just chasing the biggest fish might be the best plan.

Kelly should definitely be on the radar! Here is a really good article on his Free Agency

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffsiegel/2018/08/28/kelly-oubre-washington-wizards-extension/#587a496e63af

Thanks.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
meloshouldgo

9/22/2018  10:09 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
wargames wrote:

Thanks.

This approach I am good with. So much better than starfukking.

wargames

9/25/2018  8:39 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/25/2018  8:41 PM

Yeah we should dead these Irving Rumors. He's not leaving Boston

Assuming we miss out on Irving and the other top tier players, who do you target?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy