[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Jimmy Butler requests trade
Author Thread
doomed
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1078
USA
9/22/2018  11:04 AM
smackeddog wrote:Melo trade looks even more ridiculous with every passing year- the equivalent today would be trading Mitch, Knox, Mario, Frank/trey Burke and 2 1st rounders for butler. Madness!

Cmon that’s a stretch. The Knicks really just gave up a bunch of quantity for melo and not much quality. The picks hurt but gallo? Meh. Chandler? Meh. Mediocre talents when healthy and Gallo is never healthy.

The worst trades list made by the Knicks doesn’t have melo’s deal anywhere on it.

AUTOADVERT
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
9/22/2018  11:42 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
knickstorrents wrote:Butler and Kyrie - STAY AWAY.
Seems the new management is determined not to repeat the mistakes of the past. Thank God.

Does it? I haven't been reading all the press but weren't there articles about Kyrie being the primary target for this off season? Or was that one of te hacks that usually make **** up?

I'm just going by what Mills and Perry say in interviews. That Mills does not want to repeat the mistakes of the past, that there are no quick fixes, that they will not trade draft picks.

Rose is not the answer.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/22/2018  12:06 PM
knickstorrents wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Seems the new management is determined not to repeat the mistakes of the past. Thank God.

Does it? I haven't been reading all the press but weren't there articles about Kyrie being the primary target for this off season? Or was that one of te hacks that usually make **** up?

I'm just going by what Mills and Perry say in interviews. That Mills does not want to repeat the mistakes of the past, that there are no quick fixes, that they will not trade draft picks.

Saying that their not going to trade for players they can sign in the offseason seems to indicate they are not going to chase Butler.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

9/22/2018  2:33 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:

its clear they have no interest in trading first rounders or young talent. As for free agency they definetly have a target in mind but they have kept that close to the vest. All we know is that Kyrie is interssted in NY but Perry/mills may not have the same interest...at least for that price
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

9/22/2018  3:31 PM
wargames wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Melo trade looks even more ridiculous with every passing year- the equivalent today would be trading Mitch, Knox, Mario, Frank/trey Burke and 2 1st rounders for butler. Madness!

It was madness, but attitude reflects leadership (our to be more exact ownership) and us fans had been told for like 3 seasons we were going to go after Lebron in 2010. Far too often the knicks would look at players on other teams that were at their peak and want them instead of doing the work of developing their own youth.

LeBron James intentionally gave false hope to lots of teams. Lots of teams cleared space and made poor long term decisions because of it.

Not long after, the players took a massive hit in the next labor war. Thanks in part to LBJ inciting the owners. Many of them got on their knees and literally begged. Dumb **** actually was watching some soccer with Rich Paul and talking OVER an owner giving a presentation. What the ****.

No one is to blame for clearing space for LBJ. The signing of STAT was to soft justify that the team did something instead of nothing, which is on the Knicks.

I do not understand this "development" narrative that people keep pushing. Well the media pushes it and the front offices do because they don't have a choice.

You generally get a baseline idea very quickly in the NBA if a player can break out or not. The idea of "development" is overstated. Erik Spolestra getting a James Johnson to be useful is one thing, but to push a guy outside his talent ceiling/natural skill set into something more isn't likely.

Sometimes guys have injuries. Sometimes guys just never got the minutes. In rare cases, like Jeremy Lin, it's what amounts to open racism. But in most cases, while it takes three years to really know what a player can do, the early flashes are a tell on his ability to adapt/counter adapt to the league getting a scouting book on him.

I keep hearing "development" with Trey Burke. What in the entire hell are people talking about?

If you stop being a bull headed me first *******, because you are running out of teams to give you a chance, that's not actually development.

Butler is a good player. Odds are he will give more production in his 2 and half years of prime left compared to a lottery pick. Someone is going to compare Butler to the top pick in the draft and frankly the Knicks are not getting the top 3 picks in this upcoming draft.

wargames
Member: #6053

9/22/2018  3:38 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:

its clear they have no interest in trading first rounders or young talent. As for free agency they definetly have a target in mind but they have kept that close to the vest. All we know is that Kyrie is interssted in NY but Perry/mills may not have the same interest...at least for that price

Yeah the fact they mentioned potentially keeping guys like Burke, Mudiay, and Mario on the roster if they play well does hint they are not only looking at supermax FA. It could happen, but they are keeping their options open.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
wargames

9/22/2018  3:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/22/2018  4:00 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
wargames wrote:

It was madness, but attitude reflects leadership (our to be more exact ownership) and us fans had been told for like 3 seasons we were going to go after Lebron in 2010. Far too often the knicks would look at players on other teams that were at their peak and want them instead of doing the work of developing their own youth.

LeBron James intentionally gave false hope to lots of teams. Lots of teams cleared space and made poor long term decisions because of it.

Not long after, the players took a massive hit in the next labor war. Thanks in part to LBJ inciting the owners. Many of them got on their knees and literally begged. Dumb **** actually was watching some soccer with Rich Paul and talking OVER an owner giving a presentation. What the ****.

No one is to blame for clearing space for LBJ. The signing of STAT was to soft justify that the team did something instead of nothing, which is on the Knicks.

I do not understand this "development" narrative that people keep pushing. Well the media pushes it and the front offices do because they don't have a choice.

You generally get a baseline idea very quickly in the NBA if a player can break out or not. The idea of "development" is overstated. Erik Spolestra getting a James Johnson to be useful is one thing, but to push a guy outside his talent ceiling/natural skill set into something more isn't likely.

Sometimes guys have injuries. Sometimes guys just never got the minutes. In rare cases, like Jeremy Lin, it's what amounts to open racism. But in most cases, while it takes three years to really know what a player can do, the early flashes are a tell on his ability to adapt/counter adapt to the league getting a scouting book on him.

I keep hearing "development" with Trey Burke. What in the entire hell are people talking about?

If you stop being a bull headed me first *******, because you are running out of teams to give you a chance, that's not actually development.

Butler is a good player. Odds are he will give more production in his 2 and half years of prime left compared to a lottery pick. Someone is going to compare Butler to the top pick in the draft and frankly the Knicks are not getting the top 3 picks in this upcoming draft.

Yeah Lebron was a complete d*ck in 2010. You are also right its got the owners heated and they took it out on everyone later.

With that said would my statement have been more clear if I had said "draft and developing their own youth". For example, Thibs put it out there he didn't want to trade Jimmy for picks and youth because he wanted to win now and not develop players. You are right about the talent ceiling of players but are completely disregarding the patience/time aspect of that as well. Victor Oladipo was drafted 2nd and everyone said "he could be a star" but 2 teams didn't have the patience to continue to work with him and he was looking like a journeyman until his 4th year. Gordon Hayward (who was drafted with a knicks pick) took about 4-5 years before he was a star caliber player and avg 5 pts his first season. Otto Porter who is a key part of the wizards as their 3&D SF avg 2 his rookie season.

Hell we didn't even have patience with Timmy and traded him and then had to pay to get him back once he went to another team and developed.

It takes players time to develop, and it requires teams to have the patience while they develop. The knicks didn't want to be patient until recently. Since Mills has come onto the knicks there has been a focus on either develping in house or getting guys who other teams developed but slipped under their radar. Its a smarter move than hoping for a star to want to come to NY. Especially with the amount of teams better built to win now like GSW, Rockets, Celtics, and even the raptors.

It makes a lot of sense to load up and try to get ready to be the team to beat in 3-5 years. Right now the Suns, and Philly and maybe Celtics (though I have a feeling the Celtics will have to shed youth to stay competitive now like the Lakers) are the only teams I would say have more young talent than the knicks do.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

9/22/2018  10:14 PM
The more I think about it. Who the fukk is Jimmy Butler to force a trade? The wolves should tell him to STFU and they'll trade him when they want to.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/22/2018  11:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/22/2018  11:22 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:The more I think about it. Who the fukk is Jimmy Butler to force a trade? The wolves should tell him to STFU and they'll trade him when they want to.

You think it's coincidence Towns just agreed to an extension?

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
USA
9/22/2018  11:55 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:The more I think about it. Who the fukk is Jimmy Butler to force a trade? The wolves should tell him to STFU and they'll trade him when they want to.
He's a free agent after this year. Letting the Wolves know he is leaving allows them to get something for him.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

9/23/2018  11:15 AM
If they would take Hardaway Jr. or Lee and a protected pick i'd do it. More so for the expiring contract
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/23/2018  11:29 AM
Timberwolves owner is a moron.
Layden the GM is under Thibs. Thibs is Larry brown without the results.
CrushAlot
USA
9/23/2018  11:31 AM
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/23/2018  11:39 AM
Read that Thibs did not want Butler traded and he is over GM Layden. now Taylor is stepping in and telling Layden to get it done.
It not unique, its DolanEsque. What is unique is the public nature of it.
Thibs is Coach and President, Layden is the GM. Taylor was right to bring back Flip Saunders and this team has talent but Thibs was not the guy you want long term.
Phil was at least correct to not bring him in. Some fans really wanted Thibs.
CrushAlot
USA
9/23/2018  11:50 AM
Nalod wrote:Read that Thibs did not want Butler traded and he is over GM Layden. now Taylor is stepping in and telling Layden to get it done.
Thibs is Coach and President, Layden is the GM. Taylor was right to bring back Flip Saunders and this team has talent but Thibs was not the guy you want long term.
Phil wanted control of the system and his coach. He wouldn't get that with Thibs. I liked your Larry Brown comparison with Thibs. Thibs needs to be the coach with a gm that is over him and doesn't bow to his whims and desire to recreate the bulls.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

9/23/2018  12:04 PM
Nalod wrote:Read that Thibs did not want Butler traded and he is over GM Layden. now Taylor is stepping in and telling Layden to get it done.

...Steinbrenneresque, Jerryjonesesque, DanielSnyderesque, etc. This is definitely not unique...No way was phil going to bring in a guy he couldnt control.

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

9/23/2018  12:05 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Phil wanted control of the system and his coach. He wouldn't get that with Thibs. I liked your Larry Brown comparison with Thibs. Thibs needs to be the coach with a gm that is over him and doesn't bow to his whims and desire to recreate the bulls.

Agreed...Didn't see this until after I posted.

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

9/24/2018  12:02 AM

From what I'm hearing, much of the problem is that Towns went to Thibs and demanded Butler be traded. Him or Me. Thibs said let's work it out. Every team has problems sometimes, but you focus on winning, etc. Then apparently Towns went straight to Taylor and demanded Butler be traded. Him Or Me. Taylor talks to Thibs and Thibs says, correctly, you can't let some guy, even a franchise guy, hold a team hostage like this. Nothing good will come of it.

Taylor caved in many times to Garnett. Which is why you'd see stupid **** like Marko Jaric and Troy Hudson end up on the roster.

Thibs has made many mistakes. But he's not wrong in thinking that this is a double negative. Trading Butler in a truly non leverage position. And giving in to a player holding the team hostage.

Towns sulked all year and often dogged it. Butler got in his face. Lockerroom split. Younger guys toed the line with Towns. Older guys have more history with Butler and lined up with him. Towns apparently rubbed a lot of the refs the wrong way and this season he's going to take a beating. There are going to be a lot of non calls going against him. Towns takes the stance that this is "his team" Butler takes the stance that if it's your team, then play like a leader should.

I wouldn't say this is as bad as Jim Jackson and Jason Kidd feuding over Toni Braxton. ( Which ones of us will be the first to give you herpes?!?) But it's close in pure stupidity. Towns is just really stupid. Thibs and Butler have their issues, but their issue stem from trying to win. Towns needs some kind of external validation to function. Basically like a woman.

Karl Anthony Towns. Franchise player. Punk ass bitch. He wears many hats.

arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/24/2018  12:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/24/2018  12:10 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

From what I'm hearing, much of the problem is that Towns went to Thibs and demanded Butler be traded. Him or Me. Thibs said let's work it out. Every team has problems sometimes, but you focus on winning, etc. Then apparently Towns went straight to Taylor and demanded Butler be traded. Him Or Me. Taylor talks to Thibs and Thibs says, correctly, you can't let some guy, even a franchise guy, hold a team hostage like this. Nothing good will come of it.

Taylor caved in many times to Garnett. Which is why you'd see stupid **** like Marko Jaric and Troy Hudson end up on the roster.

Thibs has made many mistakes. But he's not wrong in thinking that this is a double negative. Trading Butler in a truly non leverage position. And giving in to a player holding the team hostage.

Towns sulked all year and often dogged it. Butler got in his face. Lockerroom split. Younger guys toed the line with Towns. Older guys have more history with Butler and lined up with him. Towns apparently rubbed a lot of the refs the wrong way and this season he's going to take a beating. There are going to be a lot of non calls going against him. Towns takes the stance that this is "his team" Butler takes the stance that if it's your team, then play like a leader should.

I wouldn't say this is as bad as Jim Jackson and Jason Kidd feuding over Toni Braxton. ( Which ones of us will be the first to give you herpes?!?) But it's close in pure stupidity. Towns is just really stupid. Thibs and Butler have their issues, but their issue stem from trying to win. Towns needs some kind of external validation to function. Basically like a woman.

When young dudes are getting 30 millions per for putting the ball in the hole what do you expect?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
wargames

9/24/2018  12:59 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

As long as this nonsense isn't happening on the Knicks..... It doesn't irk me at all.

OT: Jimmy Butler requests trade

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy