[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Article: Steve Mills: Patience the key in Knicks Transition
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/18/2018  1:04 PM
LivingLegend wrote:Mills has little to no credibility IMO.

If he wants to talk about the past (at all) - then take some responsibility for some part of the **** show.

Hopefully he made the right move with Perry who's moves I agree with so far - I trust Perry when he says he is going to be patient.

Actions speak louder than words. But the dialog has changed as has the action.
He hired Perry, he hired Fiz. This is his ship now.

AUTOADVERT
Welpee
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6239

9/18/2018  2:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/18/2018  2:05 PM
Nalod wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:Mills has little to no credibility IMO.

If he wants to talk about the past (at all) - then take some responsibility for some part of the **** show.

Hopefully he made the right move with Perry who's moves I agree with so far - I trust Perry when he says he is going to be patient.

Actions speak louder than words. But the dialog has changed as has the action.
He hired Perry, he hired Fiz. This is his ship now.

Exactly. The bottom line is it's all on Mills now. Who cares how much blame he should accept from 10+ years ago. If he's the ultimate decision maker now and Dolan truly steps back and lets him do his thing, there will be no excuses. I'd rather be hopeful than constantly negative.
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

9/18/2018  6:31 PM
Welpee wrote:Who cares how much blame he should accept from 10+ years ago.

No one cared until he started backdoor tossing other people under the bus. People who could no longer defend themselves from his "narrative"

Once he STARTED talking about others who should be blamed, he opened himself up to the discussion of HOW MUCH HE SHOULD BE BLAMED for the Knicks problems.

He brought this **** upon himself. Guys here, some of you, should stop with the bull**** that somehow a part of the fanbase is persecuting Mills out of the blue.

What people care about is whether you show leadership or not when you are in an actual leadership position.

If you can't act like a leader, no one will have faith that you can actually lead.

To be fair, any interview can be taken out of context. Happens all the time. But no doubt, in this interview, he just sounds like a bitch.

Many of you have played sports at multiple levels. What happens at team meetings guys? It's just the players, they sort out the bad blood. They talk about the **** they need to do better first at an individual level, THEN they talk about other guys and what they need to do to help the team. They do it BEHIND CLOSED DOORS. They don't talk about that **** in the media. The point is to look for answers, not deflect criticism. You can point fingers, but you point it at yourself first and you don't let "outsiders" have any part of it. It's your locker room and it's "family business" and it should stay within the family.

Nalod
USA
9/18/2018  10:47 PM
I’ve been around, I’ve seen a lot here at the Garden, and what I try to do is learn from what I’ve seen and what I’ve experienced. I know those short-term quick fixes, you’re planning one way and then all of a sudden you’re making a shift. It’s one thing if you’re right on the cusp of competing for a championship, but when you’re where we are to all of a sudden pivot and go in a different direction, I’ve just seen it go wrong too many times. I’m not going to be part of doing it that way.”

He said "What I've experienced"......... Whats so bad about that? HE is saying he is not going to be part of doing it that way.
Whats so wrong about that? Who did he throw under the bus? The Truth?

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

9/19/2018  2:22 AM
Nalod wrote:
I’ve been around, I’ve seen a lot here at the Garden, and what I try to do is learn from what I’ve seen and what I’ve experienced. I know those short-term quick fixes, you’re planning one way and then all of a sudden you’re making a shift. It’s one thing if you’re right on the cusp of competing for a championship, but when you’re where we are to all of a sudden pivot and go in a different direction, I’ve just seen it go wrong too many times. I’m not going to be part of doing it that way.”

He said "What I've experienced"......... Whats so bad about that? HE is saying he is not going to be part of doing it that way.

What's wrong with it?

I'm going to take a really watermelon sized guess here and say these forums here are likely 99.99999999 percent male. Not that unusual for sports discussion outlet.

As a man, no one gives a **** about your problems. No one gives a **** about you. You are defined in our society by the value you bring into the world. No one wants to hear you complain, everyone else has their own ****ing problems.

The problem?

A) Mills is bitching. He's acting like a bitch. Wah, wah, things were ****ed up before but it's not on me. That's what he's saying. No one wants to hear the complaints. He's complaining about how things used to be.

B) He's not taking accountability for being there in the first place. His position is passive. It's not **** you want from a real leader.

C) If you are going to **** on someone, do it right up to their face and do it on full blast. If he's gonna **** on Phil Jackson's face, then come out and say Phil Jackson was an idiot.

"We are committed to doing everything possible to win and build something great here from this day forward. I AM NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT THE PAST. If this team is not where it needs to be, point your fingers at me."

It would have been that simple. When you win and you are in charge, YOU GET ALL THE CREDIT. When you lose and you are in charge, YOU GET ALL THE BLAME. Just how it works. He doesn't need to say/imply Phil Jackson was an idiot, everyone knows that already.

You know who seems to not waver around complainers? Other complainers. Bitches like to group up and fester together. They circle up and then are waiting to exhale. Mills showing zero leadership is saying out in public that the Knicks franchise is a good place for punk ass bitches to be around. If you are a punk ass bitch and you want to join the Knicks front office, then you'll fit right in. That's the message being sent.

Rule of thumb for leadership, frame things in a positive way. What Mills was doing was not positive, it was distancing himself from already being implicit in the Knicks problems. You are there, you are part of the problem. Just being there is guilt enough.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/19/2018  8:58 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
Nalod wrote:

What's wrong with it?

I'm going to take a really watermelon sized guess here and say these forums here are likely 99.99999999 percent male. Not that unusual for sports discussion outlet.

As a man, no one gives a **** about your problems. No one gives a **** about you. You are defined in our society by the value you bring into the world. No one wants to hear you complain, everyone else has their own ****ing problems.

The problem?

A) Mills is bitching. He's acting like a bitch. Wah, wah, things were ****ed up before but it's not on me. That's what he's saying. No one wants to hear the complaints. He's complaining about how things used to be.

B) He's not taking accountability for being there in the first place. His position is passive. It's not **** you want from a real leader.

C) If you are going to **** on someone, do it right up to their face and do it on full blast. If he's gonna **** on Phil Jackson's face, then come out and say Phil Jackson was an idiot.

"We are committed to doing everything possible to win and build something great here from this day forward. I AM NOT GOING TO TALK ABOUT THE PAST. If this team is not where it needs to be, point your fingers at me."

It would have been that simple. When you win and you are in charge, YOU GET ALL THE CREDIT. When you lose and you are in charge, YOU GET ALL THE BLAME. Just how it works. He doesn't need to say/imply Phil Jackson was an idiot, everyone knows that already.

You know who seems to not waver around complainers? Other complainers. Bitches like to group up and fester together. They circle up and then are waiting to exhale. Mills showing zero leadership is saying out in public that the Knicks franchise is a good place for punk ass bitches to be around. If you are a punk ass bitch and you want to join the Knicks front office, then you'll fit right in. That's the message being sent.

Rule of thumb for leadership, frame things in a positive way. What Mills was doing was not positive, it was distancing himself from already being implicit in the Knicks problems. You are there, you are part of the problem. Just being there is guilt enough.

Bro, May God help whatever wife or female children HE ever saddles you with. Just sayin.
Bitches are complainers? Look in your magic "mirror", Triple. You spend more paragraphs bitching about bitches than any other "man" on here. Get a grip.

More to the point, I agree with your take on Mills, and Uncle Nalod seems intent on ignoring simple sentence structure:

"I’ve been around, I’ve seen a lot here at the Garden, and what I try to do is learn from what I’ve seen and what I’ve experienced. I know those short-term quick fixes, you’re planning one way and then all of a sudden you’re making a shift. It’s one thing if you’re right on the cusp of competing for a championship, but when you’re where we are to all of a sudden pivot and go in a different direction, I’ve just seen it go wrong too many times. I’m not going to be part of doing it that way.”

What are his verbs? Managing? No. Working to improve things? No. Actually DOING ANYTHING? Oh, no. Mills has "been around", he's "seen things", "experiences things". Did he do anything then? No, apparently for damn near 15 years, off and on, he was just an innocent observer, watching things go wrong. How nice.

A leader, who was voted one of the most powerful Blacks in sports, should learn from the past, accept that responsibility and clearly state the facts. Not all that difficult. Which is why he's being called out on it now.

We will see what "experiences" occur now.

Chandler
Member: #6197

9/19/2018  10:20 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Been saying mostly nice things about the job Perry/Mills have been doing, almost all good.

Still, I wish Mills would finally STFU with this "I was just an innocent buystander" BS.

Plenty of bad decisions made by Mills with the Knicks, which I wont go into again.

Enough to say that this continuing attempt to completely obscure his role in 20 plus years of futility is pathetic and nauseating.

Yeah, yeah, I gotta agree here. Mills, in this interview, sounds like a total piece of ****.

If he didn't want to be a part of "it", the past dysfunction, he could have quit and signed on with another NBA team. By staying, he was a part of it.

Let's not pretend here, Mills head is on the chopping block now. Before he could hide a little because he wasn't the final decision maker. Perry is more valuable than him right now. Usually in cases like this, it ends up a power struggle and Perry is more valuable. You can always find another guy to run the business side, finding a young GM you think can work for you is not so easy.

If Mills could save his job for another 6 months, but it would cost the Knicks the next four years, he'd do it. Most execs would. Phil Jackson did it. Jackson totally ****ed this team over for 4-5 years with Noah and Rose so he could try to make the 8th seed and not get run over in the press anymore.

I don't think everything bad is Mill's fault, but he should just shut the **** up at this point. You stay, you are complicit, it's how it works in pro sports.

Mills needs to spend time with Jocko Willink, a retired Navy Seal who does business development now. Basically his mantra is own your ****. This interview is a soft sell about how everyone now long gone and fired is the full blame for all the teams' misfortunes. Even if it was true, it's poor leadership to pass the buck like this.

Man up and own your ****. He sounds like a ****ing millennial crying about not being able to login to Snapchat or some bull**** like that.

I agree with all of this. Even if everything Mills said were true, why the hell are you saying it to the media? What's the benefit of that? You look more insecure for doing so if nothing else.

He now has the (another?) chance to show if he's any good. And, the subtext of this article is don't blame me for the past, and don't judge me for the present either.

(5)(5)
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/19/2018  11:48 AM
well i've seen executives that are effective at their roles that have low-key communication styles - more deferential, consensus-oriented, non-assertive. but they have to some compensating qualities for the gaps that creates. i don't know what that would be in mills' case - at least in public his presence is hardly confidence-inspiring.
Nalod
USA
9/19/2018  4:19 PM
Did Mills make a proclamation or did he answer a question? Isn't the context of what he said important?
Did he wake up, walk out on the terrace to his legions of minions (I would have been there! LOL) and proclaim his innocence?
or was he asked a question?

Mills was MSG president, which means he was over the MSG building, the knicks, the Liberty, the rangers, the Rockettes, and the Radio city music hall. They own the Great Western Forum too. All of it. I doubt he was in the room for most of what you are calling him out for.
Im not defending him, but im not point the finger at him.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/19/2018  4:28 PM
Nalod wrote:Did Mills make a proclamation or did he answer a question? Isn't the context of what he said important?
Did he wake up, walk out on the terrace to his legions of minions (I would have been there! LOL) and proclaim his innocence?

Mills was MSG president, which means he was over the MSG building, the knicks, the Liberty, the rangers, the Rockettes, and the Radio city music hall. They own the Great Western Forum too. All of it. I doubt he was in the room for most of what you are calling him out for.

Mills has been here for a lot of bad stuff. He wasn't just president of msg.
https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/steve-mills-replaces-glen-grunwald-as-knicks-gm-1.6145489
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

9/19/2018  8:34 PM
jrodmc wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
Nalod wrote:

What's wrong with it?

The problem?

Bro, May God help whatever wife or female children HE ever saddles you with. Just sayin.
Bitches are complainers? Look in your magic "mirror", Triple. You spend more paragraphs bitching about bitches than any other "man" on here. Get a grip.

More to the point, I agree with your take on Mills, and Uncle Nalod seems intent on ignoring simple sentence structure:

"I’ve been around, I’ve seen a lot here at the Garden, and what I try to do is learn from what I’ve seen and what I’ve experienced. I know those short-term quick fixes, you’re planning one way and then all of a sudden you’re making a shift. It’s one thing if you’re right on the cusp of competing for a championship, but when you’re where we are to all of a sudden pivot and go in a different direction, I’ve just seen it go wrong too many times. I’m not going to be part of doing it that way.”

What are his verbs? Managing? No. Working to improve things? No. Actually DOING ANYTHING? Oh, no. Mills has "been around", he's "seen things", "experiences things". Did he do anything then? No, apparently for damn near 15 years, off and on, he was just an innocent observer, watching things go wrong. How nice.

A leader, who was voted one of the most powerful Blacks in sports, should learn from the past, accept that responsibility and clearly state the facts. Not all that difficult. Which is why he's being called out on it now.

We will see what "experiences" occur now.

Never thought I will find myself agreeing with JROD, but this hilarious and sadly accurate. I am willing to be patient and see how they really run this now and if they can save themselves from more starfukking, but for him to claim he was an observer when the titanic was sinking and he was second or third in command is more than a bit fukked up.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
9/19/2018  9:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/19/2018  9:06 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Nalod wrote:Did Mills make a proclamation or did he answer a question? Isn't the context of what he said important?

Mills has been here for a lot of bad stuff. He wasn't just president of msg.
https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/steve-mills-replaces-glen-grunwald-as-knicks-gm-1.6145489

Mills was a part of it and acts as he was a part of it, one of the bunch of Dolans "Yes" man.
Person without any skills but one - survive all other bureaucrats through all terrible failures for long time.
The future of the Knicks is not in his hands. Both Perry and Fiz have 100 times more personality, drive, and bbal knowledge that Mills will ever have.
If he will stick with the role of the punch-bad he always was good at this will be the best use of him on this new frontoffice.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Article: Steve Mills: Patience the key in Knicks Transition

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy