meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

9/9/2018  7:07 PM
New York Knicks: Charlie Ward offers glowing review of Kevin Knox
by Sam Friedman1 month agoFollow @fried_sam1

Tweet
Comment

Former New York Knicks guard Charlie Ward is a friend of the Knox family. He shed light on what Knicks nation should expect from their first-round pick.

To those that may not know, Kevin Knox’s dad, Kevin Knox Sr., was an amazing wide receiver for the Florida State Seminoles. He won a National Championship with the Seminoles, and was drafted in the sixth round by the Arizona Cardinals.

Knox Sr.’s career never flourished in the NFL. He didn’t record a stat in the two games he played. He’s mostly known for his college career, and being Charlie Ward’s favorite target.

Ward is one of the most unsung athletes of all-time. He played two different sports at Florida State, football and basketball, and excelled in both.

Ward won every major award, including the Heisman Trophy, during his time as a football star at Florida State. Despite all the accolades, and being a better football player, he decided to become a professional basketball player.

Choosing which pro sport to play will continue as an all-time problem.

Ward was instrumental in the Knicks’ success during his playing career in the mid to late 90s. He was square in the middle of the fight between the Knicks and the Heat, which led to many suspensions, including Ward, Ewing, Houston and a few other Knicks.

Many believe this is why the Knicks didn’t win the series.
Ward and Knox

Marc Berman of The New York Post published an article two days ago, in which Ward dives into detail about his relationship with the elder Knox, and the differing personality between Junior and Senior.

“I’m grateful he’s a Knick,’’ Ward told The Post in a phone interview from Tallahassee, Fla. “I think he has the right mentality to be successful in New York. He seems to have a mature approach and great understanding of where he is in his development. The kid is well-balanced, with an inner confidence and swagger to him while having a quiet demeanor — which you need, especially being in New York.

Ward describes Knox Sr. as the more rambunctious type, high on himself and his ability. This is what made Knox Sr. the player that he was. Ward praises Knox Jr.’s upbringing, giving his parents a ton of due credit in how mature the Kentucky standout already is.

Ward’s detail about Knox Jr.’s demeanor, going as far as to say it is Tim Duncan-esque, is a hell of a compliment. Duncan is the best player of the early 2000s generation. All of the Kobe Bryant homers can take a hike.

Ward was one of the most beloved Knicks in recent memory

https://dailyknicks.com/2018/08/07/new-york-knicks-charlie-wards-glowing-review/

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

9/10/2018  10:07 AM
Forgot about the FSU connection. Some players dont really show what they can do until they make the pros. Knox might be one of them.

Ward was steady, thats what made him so valuable. Hard to knock him off his game. Ward would be a good role model for Frank as a PG.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

9/10/2018  11:33 AM
I agree with Gustav. Knox certainly looks the part. Maybe he didn't excel the way you might expect at Kentucky because he's a young kid who didn't wnat to step on any toes. I'm sure there were a lot of egos at Kentucky
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/10/2018  2:09 PM
SupremeCommander wrote:I agree with Gustav. Knox certainly looks the part. Maybe he didn't excel the way you might expect at Kentucky because he's a young kid who didn't wnat to step on any toes. I'm sure there were a lot of egos at Kentucky

That's a common knock for a lot of Kentucky guys, especially shooters. Guys like Bledsoe and Booker never got to show their full arsenal either. Calipari designed a specific role for Knox. It probably made Knox better because it forced him to work on his ball movement and outside shooting. The downside is that it may have cost him a couple of slots in the draft. Not complaining. I hope it's our gain.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
9/10/2018  3:43 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Forgot about the FSU connection. Some players dont really show what they can do until they make the pros. Knox might be one of them.

Ward was steady, thats what made him so valuable. Hard to knock him off his game. Ward would be a good role model for Frank as a PG.

One thing I always appreciated about Ward was he turned himself into something in the NBA without any elite gifts. He didn't have great size or length, or superior athleticism, or a dead eye shooter, or elite court vision. Yet still turned himself into a valuable piece for the Knicks. If he was born with any physical advantage gifts he would have probably made himself into an allstar.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler

9/10/2018  4:29 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Forgot about the FSU connection. Some players dont really show what they can do until they make the pros. Knox might be one of them.

One thing I always appreciated about Ward was he turned himself into something in the NBA without any elite gifts. He didn't have great size or length, or superior athleticism, or a dead eye shooter, or elite court vision. Yet still turned himself into a valuable piece for the Knicks. If he was born with any physical advantage gifts he would have probably made himself into an allstar.

Ward was a very cerebral athlete. Its what helped him win the Heisman without elite athleticism, as you pointed out.

It helped Ward realize that he would have a more productive, and prosperous career in the NBA vs the NFL.

Have to admit I wished at times that we had a more dynamic PG than Ward. The post-Ward years made me appreciate how reliable he was for the Knicks.

BigDaddyG

9/10/2018  4:47 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Ward was a very cerebral athlete. Its what helped him win the Heisman without elite athleticism, as you pointed out.

It helped Ward realize that he would have a more productive, and prosperous career in the NBA vs the NFL.

Have to admit I wished at times that we had a more dynamic PG than Ward. The post-Ward years made me appreciate how reliable he was for the Knicks.

Just looked back at the roster during his rookie year. Talk about a different era. He had to sit back and watch Harper, Rivers and Anthony ahead of him on the depth chart. Management didn't feel the need to rush him. Most front offices don't have that luxury these days. Guys get rushed and don't get the time develop that they used to.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler

9/10/2018  5:02 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Just looked back at the roster during his rookie year. Talk about a different era. He had to sit back and watch Harper, Rivers and Anthony ahead of him on the depth chart. Management didn't feel the need to rush him. Most front offices don't have that luxury these days. Guys get rushed and don't get the time develop that they used to.

Ward was a low first round pick as well. Mgmt wasnt expecting him to supplant all-star vets, anytime soon.

meloshouldgo

9/10/2018  8:20 PM
There can be no greater praise than to have your demeanor compared to Tim Duncan. Kevin Knox has done really high expectations being stacked on him. For better or worse his mettle will be tested in the coming months. I am rooting for him to handle the pressure like a pro, but I am not going to give up on him, if he doesn't. These things should not be a yard stick.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/10/2018  9:07 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:There can be no greater praise than to have your demeanor compared to Tim Duncan. Kevin Knox has done really high expectations being stacked on him. For better or worse his mettle will be tested in the coming months. I am rooting for him to handle the pressure like a pro, but I am not going to give up on him, if he doesn't. These things should not be a yard stick.
Ward was very complimentary but I think Berman made the Duncan reference based on Charlie's praise of Knox and his reserved nature but the blog writer credited Ward with the reference. From Berman's interview with Ward,
Ward, the Knick point guard during the franchise’s heady days of the late-’90s, believes the son will make it much bigger than the dad as a pro. The younger Knox’s reserved nature, a la Tim Duncan, will work well in the New York basketball cauldron, according to Ward.

Ward, the 1994 Heisman Trophy winner, regrets FSU failing to land the younger Knox more than a year ago but was overjoyed the Knicks selected him at No. 9.

“I’m grateful he’s a Knick,’’ Ward told The Post in a phone interview from Tallahassee, Fla. “I think he has the right mentality to be successful in New York. He seems to have a mature approach and great understanding of where he is in his development. The kid is well-balanced, with an inner confidence and swagger to him while having a quiet demeanor — which you need, especially being in New York.

“That’s the kind of superstar you want — a guy who will go about his business, not going to be talking much, but learning the ropes on how to get better each day. New York is a tough place to play, but you have to have thick skin. He’s willing to listen and be coached. His whole mentality and attitude is one that will help him become a superstar in the league at some point.”

Sounds Duncanesque but I think Berman would have had that in quotes if it came out of Charlie's mouth.
https://nypost.com/2018/08/04/ex-knicks-guard-sees-trait-that-can-make-kevin-knox-a-star/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
meloshouldgo

9/10/2018  9:52 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:There can be no greater praise than to have your demeanor compared to Tim Duncan. Kevin Knox has done really high expectations being stacked on him. For better or worse his mettle will be tested in the coming months. I am rooting for him to handle the pressure like a pro, but I am not going to give up on him, if he doesn't. These things should not be a yard stick.
Ward was very complimentary but I think Berman made the Duncan reference based on Charlie's praise of Knox and his reserved nature but the blog writer credited Ward with the reference. From Berman's interview with Ward,
Ward, the Knick point guard during the franchise’s heady days of the late-’90s, believes the son will make it much bigger than the dad as a pro. The younger Knox’s reserved nature, a la Tim Duncan, will work well in the New York basketball cauldron, according to Ward.

Ward, the 1994 Heisman Trophy winner, regrets FSU failing to land the younger Knox more than a year ago but was overjoyed the Knicks selected him at No. 9.

“That’s the kind of superstar you want — a guy who will go about his business, not going to be talking much, but learning the ropes on how to get better each day. New York is a tough place to play, but you have to have thick skin. He’s willing to listen and be coached. His whole mentality and attitude is one that will help him become a superstar in the league at some point.”

Sounds Duncanesque but I think Berman would have had that in quotes if it came out of Charlie's mouth.
https://nypost.com/2018/08/04/ex-knicks-guard-sees-trait-that-can-make-kevin-knox-a-star/

The sentence says Ward said that. I don't know why Berman would intentionally make that up and directly out the words in Ward's mouth.

sidsanders
Member: #2426

9/10/2018  10:19 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

The sentence says Ward said that. I don't know why Berman would intentionally make that up and directly out the words in Ward's mouth.

berman is making the link based on what ward says he sees in the kid. ward does not specifically say duncan.
berman -- The younger Knox’s reserved nature, a la Tim Duncan, will work well in the New York basketball cauldron, according to Ward.

ward says the kid is reserved/quiet/etc, berman makes the allusion to duncan based on that

GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!!
BigDaddyG

9/11/2018  1:48 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Ward was a low first round pick as well. Mgmt wasnt expecting him to supplant all-star vets, anytime soon.

True. But they took the time to develop him. I doubt many front office would take that mindset these day. Jerian Grant finally had a decent season last year. In that time he bounced around, what, three teams?

GustavBahler

9/11/2018  5:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/11/2018  5:51 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

True. But they took the time to develop him. I doubt many front office would take that mindset these day. Jerian Grant finally had a decent season last year. In that time he bounced around, what, three teams?

Lots of reasons why a player doesnt work out with a team. If a player finally figures it out, a change of scenery could be the reason.

If Grant was still here, he might not have progressed to the point you say he has now. Because there wasnt anything pushing him to get beyond that deer in the headlights game of his.

Not so long ago I watched Grant play, still had that "deer in the headlights' look and mentality.

Sometimes it takes a sense of urgency to wake a player up, like being traded repeatedly, or just the threat of being out of the league.

Thats why I was happy that someone convinced Frank to skip FIBA, and focus on the Knicks, and getting on the same page with Fizdale.

I believe Frank skipping FIBA demonstrates that Frank has a sense of urgency about not only learning the system, but also working on the issues (with the team) that Fizdale pointed out to Frank, when they watched game film.

Kemet
Member: #6148

9/14/2018  2:11 PM
Charlie Ward would make a great assistant coach for the Knicks ..
Isiah Thomas should have never traded Ward ..
Marbury athletic skills were in desperate need of Ward help as a teammate.
Marbury needed Ward advice to click well alongside Allan Houston.

I'm more high on Mitchell Robinson summer athletic 2-Way performance than I am on Keven Knox performance.

Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

9/17/2018  12:31 AM
Kemet wrote:Charlie Ward would make a great assistant coach for the Knicks ..
Isiah Thomas should have never traded Ward ..
Marbury athletic skills were in desperate need of Ward help as a teammate.
Marbury needed Ward advice to click well alongside Allan Houston.

I'm more high on Mitchell Robinson summer athletic 2-Way performance than I am on Keven Knox performance.

One of them is ready to play from day one, the other is foul prone and needs seasoning. Both are good pickups.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/19/2018  12:10 PM
Ward was one of the most beloved Knicks? Beloved by who, Jeff Van Gundy?
His entire career here, he was described as a backup who started. I love revisionist history.

Been a long time since we had anyone on this team described in Duncanesque terms by anyone. Even if it's Berman.
Knox, the quiet killer. Looking forward to seeing this kid get serious burn while waiting for KP to come back.

BigDaddyG

9/20/2018  1:55 AM
jrodmc wrote:Ward was one of the most beloved Knicks? Beloved by who, Jeff Van Gundy?
His entire career here, he was described as a backup who started. I love revisionist history.

Been a long time since we had anyone on this team described in Duncanesque terms by anyone. Even if it's Berman.
Knox, the quiet killer. Looking forward to seeing this kid get serious burn while waiting for KP to come back.

Your perspective on Ward can change very quickly after a few games of Moochie Norris playing point for your team.
Charlie Ward on Knox

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy