[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Clyde spits truth
Author Thread
Jmpasq
Posts: 23440
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 4/10/2012
Member: #4182

8/31/2018  6:10 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/31/2018  6:11 AM
BigDaddyG wrote: but Melo had a bigger impact than Starks, Houston, Oakley and Spree.

You mean offensively correct? I never once saw melo bring the defensive energy that Sprewell had. Actually energy period. Melo has to be one of the laziest "Star" players I have ever seen. Melo is great at 1 thing getting an open look on the elbow. If Melo played with 1/2 the energy Sprewell brought to the court he would be a rafters player.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
AUTOADVERT
jrodmc
Posts: 30821
Alba Posts: 50
Joined: 11/24/2004
Member: #805
USA
8/31/2018  10:49 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote: but Melo had a bigger impact than Starks, Houston, Oakley and Spree.

You mean offensively correct? I never once saw melo bring the defensive energy that Sprewell had. Actually energy period. Melo has to be one of the laziest "Star" players I have ever seen. Melo is great at 1 thing getting an open look on the elbow. If Melo played with 1/2 the energy Sprewell brought to the court he would be a rafters player.

There's a folding chair somewhere in MSG and some stitches in Mr.EverLazyOnly's fingers that beg to disagree with you. That was at least once.

But to your point, there's never been any star besides Ewing in the post-chip era that brought it at both ends of the floor like Spree did. The man had endless motor.

You guys spend a lot of time commenting on the internet?
BigDaddyG
Posts: 25965
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

8/31/2018  11:20 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote: but Melo had a bigger impact than Starks, Houston, Oakley and Spree.

You mean offensively correct? I never once saw melo bring the defensive energy that Sprewell had. Actually energy period. Melo has to be one of the laziest "Star" players I have ever seen. Melo is great at 1 thing getting an open look on the elbow. If Melo played with 1/2 the energy Sprewell brought to the court he would be a rafters player.

There's a folding chair somewhere in MSG and some stitches in Mr.EverLazyOnly's fingers that beg to disagree with you. That was at least once.

But to your point, there's never been any star besides Ewing in the post-chip era that brought it at both ends of the floor like Spree did. The man had endless motor.

Endless motor, but just so-so results on offense. I think his defense might be over-stated, not because of his effort, but because of the position we put him in. Honestly, az good as Houston and Spree were, was there ever year where you could seriously argue that they were top 5 players at theit positions. That's not really a question I have to think about with Melo.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
TripleThreat
Posts: 21937
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 2/24/2012
Member: #3997

8/31/2018  3:21 PM
Jmpasq wrote:You want parity take away the max salary. These guys will fight for highest paid player and you won't have 3-4 guys on the same team. The problem is in the NBA eyes there is no reason to fix it. The NBA is truly the sport of front running, it gets higher ratings when there are dominant teams. I would say the majority of NBA fans don't have a favorite team. They just like to watch great players win.


Achieving true parity in the NBA would require 5 specific things

1) The league would need to ban all endorsement contracts/association of any kind with shoe/apparel brands. This would only happen if a scandal occurred to the tune of basically point shaving via collusion by the major brands to lean gambling situations in a favorable way. In any pro sports, gambling is the "nuke" for pretty much anything. The league would have no choice from this kind of scandal but to ban it all. Nike pays LBJ more than the NBA does. Who do you think he really works for out there?

2) The structural format of the game would need to change. You'd need larger rosters, larger starting units, more diverse roles to combat the height dependency of the entire talent pool. Widening the court, making it longer, reducing the shot clock, adding in 4 and 5 point shots, raise the rim, the entire game would need to change. You need actual market inefficiencies or the potential as such for any pro sports system.

3) League would need widespread use of non guaranteed contracts and a hard cap, basically the NFL system.

4) "Refs" would need to be eliminated, the game would need to called in an automated way using cameras, mics, sensors, drones, etc, etc. Concurrently all foul outs would need to be eliminated, progressive penalties instead.

5) Hornacek's daughter, along with Wes Edens' daughter would need to show up to my place in Brooklyn wearing nothing but whipped cream bikinis. I would be a human Lego. And like good girls, they would need to share their toys.

The point of 5 is to illustrate the first four would never happen. I don't think it's possible in our lifetimes to see true parity in the NBA.

Since you came on this board you have been way off in regards to trade value. - Briggs 7/28/2015
jrodmc
Posts: 30821
Alba Posts: 50
Joined: 11/24/2004
Member: #805
USA
9/7/2018  8:58 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote: but Melo had a bigger impact than Starks, Houston, Oakley and Spree.

You mean offensively correct? I never once saw melo bring the defensive energy that Sprewell had. Actually energy period. Melo has to be one of the laziest "Star" players I have ever seen. Melo is great at 1 thing getting an open look on the elbow. If Melo played with 1/2 the energy Sprewell brought to the court he would be a rafters player.

There's a folding chair somewhere in MSG and some stitches in Mr.EverLazyOnly's fingers that beg to disagree with you. That was at least once.

But to your point, there's never been any star besides Ewing in the post-chip era that brought it at both ends of the floor like Spree did. The man had endless motor.

Endless motor, but just so-so results on offense. I think his defense might be over-stated, not because of his effort, but because of the position we put him in. Honestly, az good as Houston and Spree were, was there ever year where you could seriously argue that they were top 5 players at theit positions. That's not really a question I have to think about with Melo.

So-So results on offense with Spree was also due to the position he was put in. Charlie Football handling the ball, and $100million Alan playing SG. So we took a prototypical All Star backcourt player (who had averaged more assists in one season than Charlie ever did) and gave him less touches than he would have had if he was playing PG, and SG when H2O was off the floor. We saved a few more turnovers a game in order to play a backup PG and get less production out of Spree. Spree's in the backoourt, and there's a good chance he replicates a little bit more of what he did in GS.

You guys spend a lot of time commenting on the internet?
BigDaddyG
Posts: 25965
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

9/7/2018  3:01 PM
jrodmc wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote: but Melo had a bigger impact than Starks, Houston, Oakley and Spree.

You mean offensively correct? I never once saw melo bring the defensive energy that Sprewell had. Actually energy period. Melo has to be one of the laziest "Star" players I have ever seen. Melo is great at 1 thing getting an open look on the elbow. If Melo played with 1/2 the energy Sprewell brought to the court he would be a rafters player.

There's a folding chair somewhere in MSG and some stitches in Mr.EverLazyOnly's fingers that beg to disagree with you. That was at least once.

But to your point, there's never been any star besides Ewing in the post-chip era that brought it at both ends of the floor like Spree did. The man had endless motor.

Endless motor, but just so-so results on offense. I think his defense might be over-stated, not because of his effort, but because of the position we put him in. Honestly, az good as Houston and Spree were, was there ever year where you could seriously argue that they were top 5 players at theit positions. That's not really a question I have to think about with Melo.

So-So results on offense with Spree was also due to the position he was put in. Charlie Football handling the ball, and $100million Alan playing SG. So we took a prototypical All Star backcourt player (who had averaged more assists in one season than Charlie ever did) and gave him less touches than he would have had if he was playing PG, and SG when H2O was off the floor. We saved a few more turnovers a game in order to play a backup PG and get less production out of Spree. Spree's in the backoourt, and there's a good chance he replicates a little bit more of what he did in GS.

I agree. JVG was a crap offensive coach and the others were unimaginative. Spree was an up and down player forced to play out of position on half-court teams. But, that said, I'd still hang Melo's jersey up over him. The record books speak for themselves.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
PresIke
Posts: 27023
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/26/2001
Member: #33
USA
9/9/2018  7:27 PM
Well guess KD won't be coming to us then now huh?
Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
GustavBahler
Posts: 34496
Alba Posts: 15
Joined: 7/12/2010
Member: #3186

9/9/2018  10:05 PM
Would put Oak up there first, baggage and all.

Melo too often took the heat for lousy teammates, but he wasnt without holes in his own game.

Ewing got away with not being a very willing passer because he was a legit two-way player.

Melo led the team in assists one season, proving that his ball stopping was too often a choice. Melo earned his salary, no more than that IMO.

Clyde spits truth

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.