[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

14 seconds after an offensive rebound
Author Thread
JesseDark
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #467
8/24/2018  1:06 AM
http://www.espn.com/espn/print?id=24454530

The NBA's board of governors are expected to pass rule changes for the 2018-19 season that include resetting the shot clock after an offensive rebound to 14 seconds from 24, simplifying the clear-path foul rule and expanding the definition of the "hostile act" to more easily trigger instant replay, league sources told ESPN.

The NBA sent a memo to the league's general managers and coaches on Thursday to outline the unanimous recommendations of the league's competition committee to the board of governors.

The board of governors will vote on the three rules changes in a Sept. 20-21 meeting and need a two-thirds majority to pass the legislation.

The NBA believes that the resetting of the shot clock to 14 seconds after offensive rebounds will increase shot attempts, especially at the end of close games. The NBA studied FIBA's implementation of the rule in 2014, as well as its use in G League, WNBA and NBA summer league games.

I haven't seen this rule experimented with so right now I don't like it. Seems like the team is being penalized for getting an offensive rebound. If they want to speed up the game and have more 3s jacked up just reduce the 24 second clock.

A rule that I would that I would like to see is, this is just me riff'in, is fractional fouls. If you foul a player in the act of shooting you only get a full foul if he makes both free throws. If he makes 1 free throw you get .5 of a foul.

Bring back dee-fense
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/24/2018  6:08 AM
The rule is pretty good. I takes away the clock as a weapon in a close game and puts the emphasis on making baskets and playing defense. It also taking away to some extend the defense fouling at the end of the game to stop the clock. End of games can get drawn out.
Granted, we here are pretty big fans and like the chess game as it but this new rule will keep the pace up for the end of the game.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/24/2018  12:38 PM
I didn't know this was broke.

How about they get rid of the Euro-travel and fouls on players where they don't touch the opponent or they strike the ball and still get called for a foul because the shooter made some exaggerated move and is a star player (Harden, Lebron, et al)

Star players don't need the help. Gritty blue collar players that hustle do.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/24/2018  12:41 PM
franco12 wrote:I didn't know this was broke.

How about they get rid of the Euro-travel and fouls on players where they don't touch the opponent or they strike the ball and still get called for a foul because the shooter made some exaggerated move and is a star player (Harden, Lebron, et al)

NBA purist versus making the NBA as marketable and popular as possible. Stars need to be seen and marketed and on the court. Can never get around that.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
8/24/2018  1:25 PM
I think its a good change. The offensive team doesn't need to bring the ball down the court And presumably now has the ball in the paint. Let fly!
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/24/2018  5:01 PM
Well, looks like they did their homework first. I like the idea of keeping the game moving. Will be interesting to see who makes the most of it because of coaching, conditioning.

Might hurt some veteran playoff teams who are competing against younger, more athletic conference rivals to play at a faster tempo.

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

8/26/2018  12:07 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/26/2018  10:59 AM

Yup. This pandering to the stars is sanctioned under the guise of making the game marketable. But the marketing had no issues before the pansy rules were implemented

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/27/2018  9:38 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:

Yup. This pandering to the stars is sanctioned under the guise of making the game marketable. But the marketing had no issues before the pansy rules were implemented

Wouldn't actually be in the owners interests to make 'stars' a bit more replaceable?

I mean, I get it. Everyone loves LeBron- but if you didn't let him get away with everything that he does, he'd still be the best player in the game.

As someone who isn't an uber standout at anything, I value the players that grit and contribute.

And I think the league should do a better job of helping those players stand out.

SupremeCommander
Alba Posts: 35
Member: #1127

8/27/2018  10:15 AM
No I love the rule. It forces more possessions. I bet it makes the playoffs more enjoyable, so the team that's up can't hold the ball for 80% of the final minute
Sambakick wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Jazz Hands"
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/27/2018  12:44 PM
most teams don't crash the boards any more anyway, they would rather get back on Defense since it's all about pace and space.
ES
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/29/2018  10:13 AM
Great. So now we need to take marketing lessons from the G-League, Summer League and the WNBA, things that next to nobody watches. Oh and FIBA. I thought that was a soccer league.

What's next? Old man summer league rules? No dribbling in the backcourt? Three passes and you have to shoot? What about the slaughter rule? End the game in the first 4 minutes of the 4th if you're down by more than 20 points, so star players don't have to come back in to ensure a victory. That will speed up the game and allow Lebron to rest more.

Olbrannon
Member: #2919
USA
8/29/2018  10:21 AM

Need to institute the same rules as college for travels.

Bill Simmons on Tyreke Evans "The prototypical 0-guard: Someone who handles the ball all the time, looks for his own shot, gets to the rim at will and operates best if his teammates spread the floor to watch him."
Olbrannon
Member: #2919
USA
8/29/2018  10:23 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:

Long as Boston has a great white hope and LA has a mega star...it's all good...don't need no stinkin' marketing. 'less it's to combat all the domestic violence.

Bill Simmons on Tyreke Evans "The prototypical 0-guard: Someone who handles the ball all the time, looks for his own shot, gets to the rim at will and operates best if his teammates spread the floor to watch him."
GustavBahler

8/29/2018  11:03 AM
jrodmc wrote:Great. So now we need to take marketing lessons from the G-League, Summer League and the WNBA, things that next to nobody watches. Oh and FIBA. I thought that was a soccer league.

What's next? Old man summer league rules? No dribbling in the backcourt? Three passes and you have to shoot? What about the slaughter rule? End the game in the first 4 minutes of the 4th if you're down by more than 20 points, so star players don't have to come back in to ensure a victory. That will speed up the game and allow Lebron to rest more.

Your ever present, ignorant sluttiness, has jaded your perspective. Its not marketing. Its watching how the game is played under these rules. Seeing if they anticipate any drawbacks to the rule change.

Funny you should mention old man summer league rules. Should have the opposite effect. It forces both teams to expend more energy on offense and defense.

On offense a team cant reset after an offensive rebound, and catch their breath late in the game. Same thing applies to defense. Might change the way some teams manage PT.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/29/2018  12:15 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
jrodmc wrote:Great. So now we need to take marketing lessons from the G-League, Summer League and the WNBA, things that next to nobody watches. Oh and FIBA. I thought that was a soccer league.

Your ever present, ignorant sluttiness, has jaded your perspective. Its not marketing. Its watching how the game is played under these rules. Seeing if they anticipate any drawbacks to the rule change.

Funny you should mention old man summer league rules. Should have the opposite effect. It forces both teams to expend more energy on offense and defense.

On offense a team cant reset after an offensive rebound, and catch their breath late in the game. Same thing applies to defense. Might change the way some teams manage PT.

I notice you get very agitated any time I make disparaging remarks about soccer. Interesting. It's okay, you can look at soccer fan girls in pasties all you want. Nobody cares, you pathetic 2 dollar crack ho.

It's not about marketing? They want to increase shot attempts, speed up the end of games. What's this supposed to represent? Adjusting the game to those with attention defecit problems? Again, you're watching the WNBA to learn things. Think about that for just a minute. Or maybe just 14 seconds, don't overwork yourself.

And I've always enjoyed the defense being able to reset after they allow an offensive rebound, it's always been a really great part of the game. You truly are dopey.

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

8/29/2018  1:04 PM
franco12 wrote:Wouldn't actually be in the owners interests to make 'stars' a bit more replaceable?

I mean, I get it. Everyone loves LeBron- but if you didn't let him get away with everything that he does, he'd still be the best player in the game.

NBA refs get two kinds of reviews. One is open to them. They discuss the issues they have and the league covers each ref by crew and at an individual level. The other kind if internal. The refs don't know how they are being rated here.

If LBJ fouls another player on defense in the first quarter and gets two quick whistles, that shades how he's going to be used the rest of the game. Networks pay BIG MONEY to have LBJ on TV, not on the bench. Also those expensive courtside seats and luxury suites, that's fat money too and people in there don't want to see LBJ on the bench.

You get a bad rating as a ref, this limit raises, promotions, playoff work and even staying in the league.

The other issue is Superstar Player X can go to his agent and brand/endorsement company and complain about a certain player ( like Bruce Bowen or a Patrick Beverley) Brand bitches to the network, since they pay top dollar for advertising, etc. Network bitches to the league administration. They bitch to the refs. They instruct the refs by issuing video with "examples" of what is or is not permissible. If you see the same player in the video shown as a poor example, it means the league wants the refs to **** over that player.

Let's say a Kevon Looney just starts locking down LBJ. No, no, no. Refs will **** Looney over. Looney does not sell enough shoes.

Marc Gasol is actually a really good defender. But the refs **** on him a lot. Lots of players complain. Do you know why? Part of it is "Euro Bias" It means if you have a young player with a big shoe contract of a certain demographic. They don't like the "perception" of a Marc Gasol demographic making them eat their lunch around the rim.

Push/Pull of this is game length. And viewers tuning out at the end of games. Each minute of commercials costs X number of dollars. It depends on ratings and negotiation. Longer games than expected devalue those commercial slots. Shorter games don't maximize those commercial slots. From an advertising standpoint, you can have games too long and games too short. The networks also have other things they need to broadcast. Viewers were tuning out at the end of games, devaluing the ad cost for those commercial slots. Can't have that.

Networks pay BILLIONS to air NBA games. If they are unhappy, everyone is made to be unhappy. Just how it works.

JesseDark
Member: #467
8/29/2018  1:57 PM
When I was a kid sometimes we would play take backs or sometimes straight up. This is the NBA version of straight up. Still would have preferred to see this previewed before putting it in place.
Bring back dee-fense
GustavBahler

8/29/2018  2:13 PM
jrodmc wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

I notice you get very agitated any time I make disparaging remarks about soccer. Interesting. It's okay, you can look at soccer fan girls in pasties all you want. Nobody cares, you pathetic 2 dollar crack ho.

It's not about marketing? They want to increase shot attempts, speed up the end of games. What's this supposed to represent? Adjusting the game to those with attention defecit problems? Again, you're watching the WNBA to learn things. Think about that for just a minute. Or maybe just 14 seconds, don't overwork yourself.

And I've always enjoyed the defense being able to reset after they allow an offensive rebound, it's always been a really great part of the game. You truly are dopey.

Sure Soccer Mom, bet you felt like Clint Eastwood typing that from your minivan, while sipping your artisan latté at soccer practice. And my rates have gone up, inflation.

My point was that seeing how other leagues play under these rules has more to do with research, than marketing..Not that marketing isnt a consideration at all. Im glad they did some homework first. Have to expect changes to the game.

Were you crying on your princess phone when they added the 3pt line? 24 second clock? Made a "force out" a foul?

Dopey is thinking that its less taxing to try and set up a play, and score in 14 seconds than it is in 24. Truly dopey.

QnzKnickerbocker87
Member: #8670

8/29/2018  3:24 PM
I like the new offensive rebound rule

I don't like the "expanding the definition of hostile acts" change tho. There's enough borderline flagrant foul calls and dubious ticky tac foul calls as it, don't need more of em along with the typically longer than necessary reviews which disrupt the momentum and pace of the game

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

8/29/2018  11:43 PM
QnzKnickerbocker87 wrote:I like the new offensive rebound rule

I don't like the "expanding the definition of hostile acts" change tho. There's enough borderline flagrant foul calls and dubious ticky tac foul calls as it, don't need more of em along with the typically longer than necessary reviews which disrupt the momentum and pace of the game

It's just to get Draymond Green.

Warriors steam roll everyone. Four game sweeps kill revenue. Kill it. The league administration got a consolation prize in the Western Conference Finals going 7 games.

Basically this - The Warriors can sweep anyone in the Finals, assuming Green/Curry are healthy, but they will have to give up games on purpose in the other rounds. If they don't the refs will job them until they do.

You can't beat the Warriors in a cleanly called game. Sometimes they can beat themselves. The way to do it is to eject Green or suspend him for a game, then allow defenders ( looking at you Matt Delladova...) to basically batter Curry all the time. The amount of hard contact Curry gets and is uncalled is unreal. This is the "Under Armour" tax.

Warriors play the right way. They built through the draft and good cap management, like teams are encouraged to do. But their players don't sell enough shoes on their own, not to Nike standards. No one is dating a pop star. Can't have that. No one is dunking over a car. Fuck that noise. No one is shooting up a nightclub or dropping a rap track and on TMZ all the time. WTF is up with that? They simply kill revenue for the league more than they generate it ( killing off long playoff series)

They are a marketing nightmare. So the league needs to **** them over.

Like I always say, if a 14 year old kid shoots another in the face over some ****ing shoes, deep down, real quiet, the marketing people at Nike are ****ing feeling fabulous. That's status right there. People want to kill over your shoes. When videos go viral of new rare kicks coming out and people trample each other at 4am, those same people are jizzing in their pants. Creaming it.

If Kevin Knox got engaged to Taylor Swift, the Knicks would get more national TV broadcasts. Knox could literally walk to the basket. Not even dribble anymore. The NBA would fly a drone above the rim that would push any errant Knox shot into the hoop for him. If he got with Beyonce and had Oprah host the televised wedding, they'd let him bring a handgun onto the court. Just shoot a mother****er in the knee who gets in your way like Billy Blanks.

If the NBA could make another billion dollars sacrificing newborn babies at half court, then Stern would come out of retirement to say on CNN that the NBA will now build maternity wards for low income people all over America. I've seen it upfront myself, the level of greed at this part of the sports world is sad and predictable.

14 seconds after an offensive rebound

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy