8/13/2018  7:03 PM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
8/13/2018  9:08 PM
For the Rochester area Knick fans, Halas was a Razorshark from 09-12.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
NotInMyHouse
Member: #6433

8/18/2018  6:09 AM
John Halas was one of two people who were largely responsible for drafting Jonathan Isaac. This should be a good barometer, though Isaac was rated pretty high anyway. Then again, lots of busts are drafted high.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-sp-magic-scout-jonathan-isaac-0627-story.html
snip
If Jonathan Isaac becomes a star, the Orlando Magic will owe a deep debt of gratitude to at least two people who no longer work on the team’s basketball operations staff.

Florida State coaches said two members of the Magic front office — former scouting coordinator John Halas and former video analyst for personnel Brad Jones — visited Tallahassee in early May and spent a day speaking with people in and around the Seminoles’ basketball program to learn as much as possible about Isaac.

Halas and Jones left no stone unturned. They interviewed a wide array of people, ranging from FSU’s coaches to FSU’s equipment manager.

“They touched base with everybody: the compliance people, the student-athlete development people,” said FSU associate head coach Stan Jones, who is not related to Brad Jones.

“They talked to tutors,” Stan Jones added. “They talked to academic support people. There’s a whole list of people that they went through. The strength coach. Trainers. Anybody that [Isaac] worked with during the year — they were trying to hit all of them.”

Just how much work did Halas and Brad Jones do? Put it this way: They even interviewed FSU’s longtime deputy director of sports information, Chuck Walsh, who works as a team spokesman and as a liason between the men’s basketball team and the media.

Halas’ and Jones’ trip to Tallahassee was a critical piece to the extensive scouting the Magic had begun during the tenure of former general manager Rob Hennigan.

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R.R. Martin
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/18/2018  9:17 AM
Isaac is a bust?
NotInMyHouse
Member: #6433

8/20/2018  5:39 AM
Nalod wrote:Isaac is a bust?

No, I wasn't clear I see upon rereading. I mean that Halas was a huge part of drafting Isaac (who I very much like) but Isaac was a very high pick, and predicted to be pretty high. (So, didn't take rocket science to pick him.) That said, he still can bust, as many high picks do. So, should Halas land here, will be valuable to see what Isaac becomes, or doesn't. I have to see what other prospects Halas was behind, if any.

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R.R. Martin
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/20/2018  7:23 AM
So many dynamics to evaluations a scout. He might make a hard fast recommendation and get over ruled by his bosses for many reasons. Fans are not privy to what happens. In time a guys work can be graded over time not by who the team actually picks but from the portfolio of the actual reports. We don’t get to read those.
For example Gaines thought KP was worthy of the no. 1 pick. At 4 he was a nobrainer, but had we had the 2nd pick then what would we have done? Would Phil have over ruled and taken Russell or Oka4? We don’t know. Like wise did a Philly scout want KP but Hinkie or the owner over rule?
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
8/20/2018  9:24 AM
Magic drafted Isaac for an ideal. Same reason they drafted Bamba while already having Vooch while also having other needs like PG. Bamba-Gordan-Isaac they are clearly looking to have a lengthy, athletic front court that can be lock down defensively. They want that switch ability. But also expect each of them to be able to knock down the 3 when all said and done.

Unique skill sets within the modern game. Ability to guard multiple positions, switching on defense picking up guards with success, wingspan/length for strong help defense ability to cover ground, Floor spacing as 3 point threats.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
wargames
Member: #6053

8/22/2018  1:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/22/2018  1:25 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:Magic drafted Isaac for an ideal. Same reason they drafted Bamba while already having Vooch while also having other needs like PG. Bamba-Gordan-Isaac they are clearly looking to have a lengthy, athletic front court that can be lock down defensively. They want that switch ability. But also expect each of them to be able to knock down the 3 when all said and done.

Unique skill sets within the modern game. Ability to guard multiple positions, switching on defense picking up guards with success, wingspan/length for strong help defense ability to cover ground, Floor spacing as 3 point threats.

Yep those have been the draft requirements since KP, I also think they've been looking more for guys who are gym rats and have family support to try and lessen the odds they lose focus in NYC.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Begley: Knicks looking at adding John Halas to scouting dept

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy