[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Compliments to Perry and the direction he has the Knicks headed.
Author Thread
KnickDanger
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #7578

7/27/2018  12:59 PM
Absolutely so far so good. My fear -- as the youth movement struggles pressure on the FO from our ADHD fan base and phony media gasbags causes them to change course and max a Jimmy Butler or an injured/over 30 star. Or trade young assets/#1 picks. Please no.
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/27/2018  1:38 PM
KnickDanger wrote:Absolutely so far so good. My fear -- as the youth movement struggles pressure on the FO from our ADHD fan base and phony media gasbags causes them to change course and max a Jimmy Butler or an injured/over 30 star. Or trade young assets/#1 picks. Please no.

Losing will no doubt put pressure on the faithful but I doubt FO caves.
This is a new era. To link it to the past failure is irrelevant to the future. Only quick fixes that fail is our only obstacle.
With each losing season comes a fresh prospect via the draft. But it also comes with expectations and another timeline.
Coincidentally the acquisition of blue chip talent increases statistical probability of future success.
The short sighted fans have no bearing until viewership and ticket sales drop.
Until Briggs is made President and KNicks1248 made GM i'll sleep good enough with this FO for a few years.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

7/27/2018  2:50 PM
Nalod wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:Absolutely so far so good. My fear -- as the youth movement struggles pressure on the FO from our ADHD fan base and phony media gasbags causes them to change course and max a Jimmy Butler or an injured/over 30 star. Or trade young assets/#1 picks. Please no.

This is a new era. To link it to the past failure is irrelevant to the future. Only quick fixes that fail is our only obstacle.
With each losing season comes a fresh prospect via the draft. But it also comes with expectations and another timeline.
Coincidentally the acquisition of blue chip talent increases statistical probability of future success.
Until Briggs is made President and KNicks1248 made GM i'll sleep good enough with this FO for a few years.

I am willing to believe.... :)

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/27/2018  3:42 PM
Nalod wrote:

I want you to give me a team that stayed together (GM/FO/ROSTER) through multiple loosing years.

If the culture is losing, then that's what your going to breed.

If this team can't win without KP, then is not a very good roster.

ES
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/27/2018  4:03 PM
nykshaknbake wrote:
Chandler wrote:My fingers and toes are crossed but personally I'll reserve judgment for now. My concern is implicit in this "rebuild" is that there is a certain amount of hubris and not much evidence of success. At a minimum, we're led to believe that several teams had no idea how to develop a player (who they would have every incentive to develop) but we will, e.g.:

Denver (mudiay)
Charlotte, Portland, Chicago (Vonleh)
Orlando (Hezonja)

As I said I'll hope for the best.

Having said that, it seems there is more success by finding diamonds in rough (or at least non-lottery picks) and developing them into a specific role, then rehabbing lottery busts. Our own experience with Rose, D.Williams, and Beasley is even guys who were at the top of the draft who never translated that promise to NBA success never rehabbed with us or with other teams. I actually struggle to think of a single lottery pick who underwhelmed but then thrived because of a change of scenery

Sorry to be the party pooper

You can't really put Rose in that category...when he was healthy he was the MVP and led the Bulls deep in the playoffs. Beasley had a nice season with us. No you cant expect lottery busts to be all stars, but it's possible to get them to be solid contributors. All 3 you mentioned we have were very low cost/free.

by the time we got Rose he was a has been. I'll admit I was excited about the prospect.

My point is the evidence suggests these guys can't make it. They didn't make it for a lack of opportunity, support, and probably not lack of effort. But they didn't make it but we seem to feel we have the magic

Evidence suggests we're wrong, and we might have better luck finding a diamond in the rough and developing them. Pat Riley did it when here (Mason, Starks etc) and in Miami. GS (Dray). I don't know if Jerry West found Dray but pretty sure he was on to Marc Gasol. Pop (Danny Green and tons of others). None of the great teams are taking 1st ground busts and rehabilitating them into what they promised to be on draft night but failed to deliver when the season started.

I will now shut up and go back to finger crossing

(5)(5)
Chandler

7/27/2018  4:04 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Chandler wrote:My fingers and toes are crossed but personally I'll reserve judgment for now. My concern is implicit in this "rebuild" is that there is a certain amount of hubris and not much evidence of success. At a minimum, we're led to believe that several teams had no idea how to develop a player (who they would have every incentive to develop) but we will, e.g.:

Denver (mudiay)
Orlando (Hezonja)

Having said that, it seems there is more success by finding diamonds in rough (or at least non-lottery picks) and developing them into a specific role, then rehabbing lottery busts. Our own experience with Rose, D.Williams, and Beasley is even guys who were at the top of the draft who never translated that promise to NBA success never rehabbed with us or with other teams. I actually struggle to think of a single lottery pick who underwhelmed but then thrived because of a change of scenery

Mudiay & Vonleh aren't the faces of the rebuild.

The continual process of developing youth is whats appealing. As the Knicks aren't overspending for any of these assets. This will give the Knicks the flexibility and cap to add more talent overall.

There is no downside to developing draft picks or player development in general. So making the culture all about player development is a sound strategy.

Right now the Knicks are doing what they can because they don't have the cap until next off season. And KP is going to be out for majority of the season. I believe Knicks will start to look to make a hard playoff push next off season. After they add another lotto pick most likely to add to the core. As well as add a high profile FA. Then guys like Vonleh & Mudiay will turn into more ready made pickups.

True but those are two spots where we might be trying someone else

(5)(5)
Chandler

7/27/2018  4:06 PM
BigRedDog wrote:

Denver (mudiay)
Orlando (Hezonja)

Chauncey Billips for one. Sorry to be the party pooper pooper

Good point, but for every Chauncey I can probably name 10 to the contrary without trying too hard

(5)(5)
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/27/2018  4:39 PM
Chandler wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:

Denver (mudiay)
Orlando (Hezonja)

Good point, but for every Chauncey I can probably name 10 to the contrary without trying too hard

I would add Doug Christie. Enough evidence out there to say there are exceptions to the rule. Fizdale is a big believer in his ability to develop players. Looking forward to seeing if he can deliver.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/27/2018  5:53 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Chandler wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:

Denver (mudiay)
Orlando (Hezonja)

I would add Doug Christie. Enough evidence out there to say there are exceptions to the rule. Fizdale is a big believer in his ability to develop players. Looking forward to seeing if he can deliver.

Also, Kurt Thomas, Marcus Camby and Tyson Chandler. There many ways to accrue talent. Just got to keep an openmind to what's available.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
93BUICK
Member: #1175
USA
7/28/2018  6:03 AM
Phil was really rough short term but left us with our draft picks, KP and Frank- more than we had from Layden, Isiah or Donnie. Perry is doing a clean follow up so far- and we like Knox and Mitchell. We'll see how it plays out when stakes are bigger. It looks like he's bold on the draft and sensible on FA. I like that combo. I'm hoping for watchable ball and good coaching.
If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/28/2018  7:48 AM
HofstraBBall wrote:Really like what Perry has brought to the organization. And the direction we are heading. For the first time in many years it is easy for a fan to see and understand what the FO is focused on. Perry has a clear objective. To Develop Young Talent. He is signing low cost young players, who were highly rated at some point, and will invest the time, money and personnel needed to properly develop them. Big difference from what Dolan has done in years prior. We went from Phil's indecisive rebuilds signing players like Noah, Rose and other old rejects. With a egocentric philosophy placing more importance on personal beliefs rather than long term development and goals. To Perry who has a clear vison to truly rebuild with young talent and long term sights. Think we are in great shape, specially if we get a healthy KP and find a way out of contracts like Noah, Timmy and Lee. Which are moves that I don't feel Perry is a fan of. Was impressed with young signings this summer and, although not the pick I wanted, love Knox. Good job by Perry and his staff in rating this kid higher than some of the other predictable picks. First time in many years I I am excited to renew my annual ticket package.

I like Perry a lot I just don't trust his boss Mr. Mills or the dream crushing owner Mr. Dolan. I could see Tweedledee and Tweedledumb forcing the franchise into Kemba Walker and Jimmy Butler at the cost of 60 million and our top 5 2019 draft pick.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
doomed
Member: #1078
USA
7/28/2018  4:21 PM
BigRedDog wrote:

Denver (mudiay)
Orlando (Hezonja)

Our own Trey Burke for another. He’s clearly gone from an afterthought former bust to a guy that at the very least will have a place in the nba and could be even more than that. And there are many more examples.

I don’t really have any faith in the former lottery reclamation projects but it’s still a smart practice by the Knicks. They may have found a guy in Burke and if he’s the only one they unearthed out of these guys it was worth it.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/28/2018  6:40 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
Chandler wrote:
BigRedDog wrote:

Denver (mudiay)
Orlando (Hezonja)

Bill Parcells introduced the long standing "JAG" concept to the general public in his post Giants years.

JAG = Just Another Guy

Is he a good player? A blue? ( Elite players are designated by the color blue on the roster/big board)

No, he's a JAG (Just Another Guy)

Sometimes you just need a warm body to eat up minutes. Noah is not going to last a full season physically, this isn't even factoring in his off the court issues. Zinger is injured and his projections don't mean squat. He might take much longer to heal and be game ready. Hernangomez was traded. KOQ left as a free agent. Kornet and Robinson are very raw. Kanter can't be expected to play in critical 4th quarter moments when you need a defensive stop.

Vonleh is a warm body. Maybe he could be more. Odds are against it. By soaking up some minutes, you find out. You also prevent Kornet and Robo from being run into the ground as young players.

There is real talent scarcity in the NBA. People always ask why teams didn't get any "real help" Given the cap space situation, and the losing and bad owner situation, and the narrow talent pool, there really isn't a lot of help out there.

Very few people period have NBA grade height and athleticism.

Guys like Fizdale talk about development because he does not have a choice. What else is he gonna say? These are just JAGs? Because they are just JAGs. But sometimes you need guys like that too. The more critical issue is they are JAGs on short contracts and easily disposable. This is where the Lance Thomas situation went bad, they paid a JAG the kind of money more suited to an 8th guy in your rotation. JAGs are not the problem, paying them and giving them contracts outside the bounds of what a JAG is worth is the problem.

Signing Vonleh's all day is NOT a problem. Giving Lance Thomas a 4 year deal is the real problem. Thomas' contract prevents the Knicks from using that money in a buyers market for free agents. You want better players you need cap flexibility to sign them. The Knicks don't have it. Why? Because of stupid contracts like the one they gave Lance Thomas.

Guys like Vonleh are really not the problem here.

The league really needs to be contradicted, there are to many teams for the talent base. Instead they will probably add 2 more further stretching the talent base.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Nalod
USA
7/29/2018  10:32 AM
I would not fear Mills. He hired Perry and it could very well be Perry who is entrusted to fulfil Mills vision. How can I presume this? He hired him!!! Only Timmy is on Mills ledger and his deal is hardly a franchise busting one. Objectively, Timmy had some growing pains. That were circumstancal to what happend last season. But to think Mills is a starphucher is not accurate.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
7/29/2018  10:56 AM
If not for Phil this team would not have gotten the wheel turning. Now it’s up to Mills to complete the direction that Phil set the team on.
Nalod
USA
7/29/2018  12:03 PM
Vmart wrote:If not for Phil this team would not have gotten the wheel turning. Now it’s up to Mills to complete the direction that Phil set the team on.

The firing of Grunwald and hiring of Mills after the MCkinsey study employed by MSG and affiliates was at the turning point.
Dolan instinctively starphuchs and the attraction to phil to hand the keys was a good idea, but it did not work. Mills is capable given his back ground.
Regardless of past regressions the team is now engaged in a proper rebuild. Does that mean we are on the upswing? Record wise that is not a given. We have accumulated some blue chip talent and very young ones at that.
Phil tried to build on top of a core of Melo, Rose and Noah. It was a decision that did not work.
Knicks stunning FO rebuild in 12 months!

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/29/2018  12:17 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/29/2018  12:21 PM
Vmart wrote:If not for Phil this team would not have gotten the wheel turning. Now it’s up to Mills to complete the direction that Phil set the team on.
Not sure what direction you are talking about. Phil didn't trade the 2018 first round pick while he was running things. I guess you could say that he stopped the trend of trading first round picks but there weren't any to trade until 2018. The other trend was Dolan giving his basketball people autonomy for decisions. But Phil still managed to muck things up really bad without Dolan. I am glad Mills chose Perry and that they both chose Fiz. I think the organization is in good shape for the first time in many years. The Knicks are 13 months removed from players not wanting to work out for them prior to the draft and from Phil wanting to trade Porzingis because of a missed exit meeting. The current path seems like the right one for the first time in many years. If reacting to Phil's mismanagement was the catalyst to getting on the right path finally then maybe the Phil years were worth it.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
wargames
Member: #6053

7/30/2018  8:37 AM
Nalod wrote:

The firing of Grunwald and hiring of Mills after the MCkinsey study employed by MSG and affiliates was at the turning point.
Dolan instinctively starphuchs and the attraction to phil to hand the keys was a good idea, but it did not work. Mills is capable given his back ground.
Regardless of past regressions the team is now engaged in a proper rebuild. Does that mean we are on the upswing? Record wise that is not a given. We have accumulated some blue chip talent and very young ones at that.
Phil tried to build on top of a core of Melo, Rose and Noah. It was a decision that did not work.

Talking about the Mckinsey study, I would love to see the results. I remember when it was going down I thought it was pointless cause Basketball isn't a direct correlation to business. However, Dolan did take a major step back afterwards by first initially giving the keys to Phil and eventually Mills. So if that was the advice...... I am legit impressed.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Nalod
USA
7/30/2018  10:26 AM
wargames wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Talking about the Mckinsey study, I would love to see the results. I remember when it was going down I thought it was pointless cause Basketball isn't a direct correlation to business. However, Dolan did take a major step back afterwards by first initially giving the keys to Phil and eventually Mills. So if that was the advice...... I am legit impressed.

Results Rangers are rebuilding as are the knicks. Gone is starphuching. Dolan got to see the light and stepped back. Im guessing this was not easy and he was seduced by Phil's potential. I think Cablevision and its vast size required he do it.
Mills, Fiz, and Perry don't have the gaudy cred that was always a stable in a starphuch hire.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/31/2018  5:05 PM
Nalod wrote:
wargames wrote:
Nalod wrote:

Results Rangers are rebuilding as are the knicks. Gone is starphuching. Dolan got to see the light and stepped back. Im guessing this was not easy and he was seduced by Phil's potential. I think Cablevision and its vast size required he do it.
Mills, Fiz, and Perry don't have the gaudy cred that was always a stable in a starphuch hire.

Is Starphucking" really gone? Seems alive and well with all the teams that are competing year after year. Think its a matter of getting the RIGHT "Starphucks" Think teams like Miami, GS, Cavs, Houston have showed the blueprint. Get lucky with a lottery pick that turns into an All Star and then surround them with 2 or 3 more ALL Stars around him to create a Super Team and then hope that attracts solid vets, chasing a ring, to join you for free.

Fact is, we are in just the first phase. I dont think we will ever do it with solely draft picks. We will have to Starphuck a few more times. Just hope we pick the right ones.

Agree with the point about Phil. He was just another Dolan Starphuck. But more importantly, he was the WRONG one. He was a name from the past still living there. Him and his system was never one which anyone, with a vision of the future and knowledge of the current NBA, would have picked.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Compliments to Perry and the direction he has the Knicks headed.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy