[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Melo to the Hawks
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
7/20/2018  3:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2018  3:58 AM
I don't like this trade for either team- Schroder makes $15mil, so the luxury tax savings aren't as great for OKC if they had just stretched Melo. I don't see him fitting at all well with Westbrook, and his attitude seems to have taken a dive the last few seasons (think Dwight was a bad influence on him), and they lose a first pick. They could have just stretched Melo (bigger savings) then traded a first round pick in a separate deal for a player that fit better than Schroder.

Only team I like it for is the Sixers, who get a shooting big man after the one they thought they'd signed did a runner.

AUTOADVERT
Mike1989
Member: #8627

7/20/2018  6:01 AM
I suspect OKC are going to use Schroder as a sixth man because he's not an ideal fit to start with Westbrook. He didn't have the size to play SG and he's not a good three point shooter either, and the same goes for Westbrook if he played SG with Schroder at PG. It's just an awkward fit. So using Schroder's attacking mindset he is an ideal player to come off the bench and play the sixth man role leading their bench unit. They have Albrines and Ferguson to play SG and SF and both can shoot treys, Patterson will likely join that bench unit and play PF and he can shoot treys as well, and Noel will likely round off their bench unit. I think this deal leaves them pretty well set...

Starters: Westbrook, Roberson, PG, Grant, Adams
Main rotation: Schroder, Albrines, Ferguson, Patterson, Noel
Other options: Felton, Luwawu, Diallo, Hall, Harvey, Singler, Johnson

I'd say that's a well rounded starting line up and bench unit, with some intriguing young talent for the depth chart. Granted it's a lot to take on salary wise in Schroder but perhaps the sixth man role will suit him because he's an offense guy that doesn't offer much defensively, and the lack of a consistent three point shot won't be as much of a factor off the bench, especially if he's got three decent shooters in the rotation with him.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/20/2018  6:32 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2018  6:38 AM
It makes me believe we could of pawned off Hardaway Jr. or at the very least Lee on them. I would given them a protected pick in the 20's to take Hardaway Jr. It gives me hope we can dump hardaway on them next off-season if the situation arises. I hope Mills pet project doesn't cost us superstars next off-season. If a low cost option to trade him becomes available we need to take it. His damn belief that he is a real NBA talent evaluator better not get in the way.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/20/2018  7:19 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2018  7:28 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:Melo is a Dump. That's got to hurt.

As usually your missing the big picture

Unlike our FO, they allowed melo (under contract) to go out and talk to houston and miami about a possible fit.

Then OKC found a team that would be willing to trade for him then waive him so he can play with his desired team, The hawks Dumped Schroder (for a late first round pick, and cap relief) after they secured Trae and Lin. OKC could either trade Schroder down the road or keep him.

our FronT office caved in to melo, they could have told melo to either waive his NTC (Like he did with okc) or play another yr for the knicks (until they find a deal that benefits them), or tell him to sit at home LIKE THEY DID NOAH.

Nope. Got the full picture. This is Joan Crawford at the end of her career. Sad. Phil resigned a perennial all star who flat out lied about “sacrifice” for the team. It happens.
Tipping his hat that he was not happy with Melo? Melo had his NTC. It sucks but it was reality. PLay another year? That was not an option anymore. It was time to move on the better of the franchise. Stay at home? THat might have been on the table which is why he accepted OKC.

BUt then look at what happend. The sad aging diva lost his starting job and was not invited to the PG13 party. He was waived which allows him to move on. OKC found an asset for the money. You really think Our front office did not let melo go out and find a deal? He had to agree to OKC!!!
Melo played in Okla****ingHomer!!! FO did not cave. Melo did.

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
7/20/2018  7:25 AM
Hahaha...Melo traded in a salary dump! Serves him right. Maybe no he realizes that his game is incomplete and just being able to score is not enough especially as you get older.

MdA would be a fool to take Melo on aGAin. Another no D player and at this point, he really doesn't light it up either.

So happy that NY was able to get rid of him last year. So happy that Knox is not around his personality.

Pjax's biggest miscalculation was resigning Melo. I still think he was forced to but he should have quit if that was the case. That set back the team 3 years at least.

Nalod
USA
7/20/2018  7:30 AM
MDA will have Melo at vet min and a clear understanding what his role will be. If he gets stupid, he will sit him or waive him at no cost. ITs not the same scenario as in NY. MDA wants to win, they will figure it out. Melo juice card has no pulp. He will be fine.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/20/2018  8:50 AM
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Hahaha...Melo traded in a salary dump! Serves him right. Maybe no he realizes that his game is incomplete and just being able to score is not enough especially as you get older.

MdA would be a fool to take Melo on aGAin. Another no D player and at this point, he really doesn't light it up either.

So happy that NY was able to get rid of him last year. So happy that Knox is not around his personality.

Pjax's biggest miscalculation was resigning Melo. I still think he was forced to but he should have quit if that was the case. That set back the team 3 years at least.

Right after Phil was fired Charlie Rosen did a podcast talking about Phil's tenure. Rosen said Phil had complete autonomy when he was running the Knicks. He talked about a lot of other stuff and it was a great podcast. The biggest takeaway though was that the Melo contract was on Phil.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
7/20/2018  10:45 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
GoNyGoNyGo wrote:Hahaha...Melo traded in a salary dump! Serves him right. Maybe no he realizes that his game is incomplete and just being able to score is not enough especially as you get older.

Right after Phil was fired Charlie Rosen did a podcast talking about Phil's tenure. Rosen said Phil had complete autonomy when he was running the Knicks. He talked about a lot of other stuff and it was a great podcast. The biggest takeaway though was that the Melo contract was on Phil.

After dealing all his live with NBA stars made of steel Phil never expected that run into one made from ****.
Age does not made him sharp but rather made him stubborn.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/20/2018  10:53 AM
So, Melo got all of his 28mil and gets to pick the contender he wants to play for and get a chance to win a ring. Yeah, Im sure Melo is hurting...
Nalod
USA
7/20/2018  11:25 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

Of course its on Phil. He was the boss.
We all heard what melo said at the time. Then we all saw him hold the ball and get his points.
Not sure whats so cryptic. Melo was very professional in his manner the whole time he was hear. The no trade clause as awful but otherwise he loses in prime melo for nothing. In the end, we got out of it. So did OKC. But don't think melo's ego is bruised just a bit. His bank account has been fine for some time. He can laugh to the bank but he cries in private. He would not take a lessor role in OKC so that's on record. He is not living in the same city as his son and his marriage became a public sham. Man is entitled to his privacy but not when you build a reality show around your marriage. In the end his game might have aged gracefully if he reconciled he did not make others around him better and either had to change doing other things besides scoring or take a reduced role.

Yes, all the while he did not sulk or become a huge publicity problem. I like Melo, but he hoodwinked and bamboozled phil and knick fans.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/20/2018  11:27 AM
Uptown wrote:So, Melo got all of his 28mil and gets to pick the contender he wants to play for and get a chance to win a ring. Yeah, Im sure Melo is hurting...

yeah he definitely "secured the bag"

ES
Caseloads
Member: #41
7/20/2018  11:52 AM
why go to the rockets? why not team up with LeBron in LA? That would make the most sense to me
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/20/2018  12:00 PM
Caseloads wrote:why go to the rockets? why not team up with LeBron in LA? That would make the most sense to me

there's like 3 rotation guys on LA playing his position.. Ingram, labron, kuzma

ES
Swishfm3
Member: #392
7/20/2018  12:23 PM
Caseloads wrote:why go to the rockets? why not team up with LeBron in LA? That would make the most sense to me

No tax in Texas or Florida.

I'm a HUGE Melo fan. His play has declined tremendously the last couple of years but during his time in Denver, and first few years in NY, dude was a monster on the court.

BUT..its obvious that he is about his money FIRST. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing, that is his first priority.

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/20/2018  12:38 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Contract may have been on Phil

But the performance is on Melo

Phil envisioned a transformed (not transactional) Melo, and I don't blame him for that. Yes he probably overpaid, and then the NTC, but I think he had reason to believe he could sell Melo on sharing and defending etc as he was famous for bringing more out of superstars, e.g., Kobe elevating his D, Shaq staying in better shape and on the floor more etc.

In the grand scheme who's the bigger dirt bag?

(5)(5)
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/20/2018  12:39 PM
No ill-will but Melo has D.Rose written all over him. Used to be good, but now no want truly wants him
(5)(5)
CrushAlot
USA
7/20/2018  12:53 PM
Chandler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Phil envisioned a transformed (not transactional) Melo, and I don't blame him for that. Yes he probably overpaid, and then the NTC, but I think he had reason to believe he could sell Melo on sharing and defending etc as he was famous for bringing more out of superstars, e.g., Kobe elevating his D, Shaq staying in better shape and on the floor more etc.

Not arguing about the performance. I just don't understand why there is still a push to make Phil blameless when he gave out one of the worst contracts in the history of sports. It isn't like his track record in NY giving out contracts was fabulous except for Melo's deal.
CrushAlot
USA
7/20/2018  12:53 PM
Chandler wrote:No ill-will but Melo has D.Rose written all over him. Used to be good, but now no want truly wants him
Except Houston, Miami and LA.
Nalod
USA
7/20/2018  2:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2018  2:37 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Chandler wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Not arguing about the performance. I just don't understand why there is still a push to make Phil blameless when he gave out one of the worst contracts in the history of sports. It isn't like his track record in NY giving out contracts was fabulous except for Melo's deal.

Nalod blames as such:

Phill 25...%
Melo 25...%
Dolan 25...%
Walsh 05...%
Layden 01...%
JR 10...%
Tapscot 01...%
Mills 05...%
Perry 03...%

It takes a Village to ruin the knicks!
I always thought Dolan gave near full autonomy but we should hold Melo for many reasons. Not saying by any stretch phil is blameless.
To say he was "hoodwinked and bamboozled" is to also say he allowed himself to be gullible. Both are complicate!
Dolan also stepped over walsh and overpaid. I never thought melo would go to free agency so "waiting" was not really an option. Perhaps we avoided Deron Williams if we failed to trade for him.
We got what we bargained for. Melo was relatively healthy and was the same player he was in Denver. We failed to build a team in part because we over paid, traded picks for years and were depleted. Its not a question of "Chandler, Gallo, ETC" as being the answer but a string of decisions that did not work out for what ever reason resulted in "failure". The Melo trade was not good as we only got to playoffs once.

jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
7/20/2018  2:33 PM
While I was against Phil resigning Melo years back, he was (at that time) worth something as a player. Our team was pretty talentless at that time so while I didn't like the choice to resign him (w/NTC) - I don't think it was a colossal mistake at that time (given the context then). I do think Phil should have moved on from Melo much earlier then he did, as his abilities eroded pretty fast and his value plummeted. I could also understand that drafting KP probably influenced PJ to not move Melo when KP was a rookie - so he would be protected and not the only player focused on.
Melo to the Hawks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy