[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Michael Porter Jr Had Back Surgery Last Week
Author Thread
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
7/18/2018  9:33 PM
As per Rotoworld...Michael Porter Jr. (back) had surgery last week related to a herniated disk in his back.
Additionally, the Porter Jr. camp believes that they won't need him to sit out next season. However, the Nuggets have made it abundantly clear there is no rush on the No. 14 pick, so there's a very real chance he won't be ready. After missing almost all of last season, one of the best prospects at this time last year has his career off to a tough start.

Wow, this flew under the radar... I wanted Porter at the draft but happy we have Knox at this point

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/18/2018  11:00 PM
Lost me at "back issues", didnt matter how good he was. Wasnt worth the risk at 9.
Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

7/18/2018  11:08 PM
BigRedDog wrote:As per Rotoworld...Michael Porter Jr. (back) had surgery last week related to a herniated disk in his back.
Additionally, the Porter Jr. camp believes that they won't need him to sit out next season. However, the Nuggets have made it abundantly clear there is no rush on the No. 14 pick, so there's a very real chance he won't be ready. After missing almost all of last season, one of the best prospects at this time last year has his career off to a tough start.

Wow, this flew under the radar... I wanted Porter at the draft but happy we have Knox at this point

In light of these new revelations, the 14th pick seems too high. Hope it works out for him. Happy all the naysayers didn't get their man...

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
7/18/2018  11:35 PM
Wow. So glad the Knicks took Knox. I think there was a second medical evaluation paid for by some of the lottery teams that wasn't good.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Welpee
Member: #6239

7/19/2018  10:01 AM
BigRedDog wrote:As per Rotoworld...Michael Porter Jr. (back) had surgery last week related to a herniated disk in his back.

I agree. I thought we should have rolled the dice on him too, now I'm kinda glad we didn't. However, time will tell one way or the other. The kid may be everything he was projected to be. Or he could be like Larry Johnson and become an effective player but still never be the same pre-back injury. Guess you can justify taking the risk where Denver was drafting, perhaps not where we were picking.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/19/2018  10:10 AM
Welpee wrote:

I agree. I thought we should have rolled the dice on him too, now I'm kinda glad we didn't. However, time will tell one way or the other. The kid may be everything he was projected to be. Or he could be like Larry Johnson and become an effective player but still never be the same pre-back injury. Guess you can justify taking the risk where Denver was drafting, perhaps not where we were picking.

Or he could be a wasted pick. Larry Johnson with back problems is not his low ceiling

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/19/2018  12:34 PM
obvious teams knew what fans booing didn't.
Good pick for at team at the 14 spot that does not need a player in place right away.
We made a good choice. The future will tell.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/19/2018  1:08 PM
Nalod wrote:obvious teams knew what fans booing didn't.
Good pick for at team at the 14 spot that does not need a player in place right away.
Was listening to Fraschilla talke about Porter prior to his injury (first ncaa game) and high school. He said he had concerns about his game without the injury. There also were some rumblings about attitude concerns. I loved the Knox pick at the time and like it more now.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/19/2018  1:15 PM

Yup. Plus this father and son duo is really pissing me off..

GustavBahler

7/19/2018  1:17 PM
Did Porter jr. go to the Laser Spine Institute? Its like an answer to prayer. If your prayer is to have laser spine surgery.
GustavBahler

7/19/2018  1:22 PM
NYKBocker wrote:

Going to worry when they start cheering, lol.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/19/2018  1:31 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Did Porter jr. go to the Laser Spine Institute? Its like an answer to prayer. If your prayer is to have laser spine surgery.

lol

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/19/2018  6:04 PM
So this is his second back operation?
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
fwk00
Member: #6048

7/19/2018  8:50 PM
I'd be surprised if they operated on a herniated disk - usually that's treatable. More likely ruptured which means a trimming of the disk itself - less to take the shock of continuous NBA running/jumping.

Denver should have just traded the pick for a bag of chips - it would have been better value.

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

7/20/2018  2:40 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2018  2:44 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Lost me at "back issues", didnt matter how good he was. Wasnt worth the risk at 9.

But what if we drafted him with a second first round pick? It was rumored that both the Wizards and Bucks were willing to unload their picks (15th and 17th respectively) to dump salary (Matthew Delladova specifically with the Bucks) in exchange for a productive veteran. From that position and with the 36th pick, it might've been possible to trade up to get Michael Porter Jr. After all, the Clippers, Hornets and Sixers- teams with selecting 10th to 13th- ALL made trades involving their picks, so it's not like we couldn't have entered a bidding war.

I wonder what a healthy Porter Jr and Kevin Knox would look like together on the floor. I, personally, would not have been opposed to take the wait-and-see approach with MPJr considering our need to get a good pick in 2019. And with the dividends the Sixers are reeping from being patient with Embiid,it might not have been a bad strategy in the grand scheme of things if we could've still taken Knox.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

7/20/2018  9:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2018  9:28 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Lost me at "back issues", didnt matter how good he was. Wasnt worth the risk at 9.

But what if we drafted him with a second first round pick? It was rumored that both the Wizards and Bucks were willing to unload their picks (15th and 17th respectively) to dump salary (Matthew Delladova specifically with the Bucks) in exchange for a productive veteran. From that position and with the 36th pick, it might've been possible to trade up to get Michael Porter Jr. After all, the Clippers, Hornets and Sixers- teams with selecting 10th to 13th- ALL made trades involving their picks, so it's not like we couldn't have entered a bidding war.

I wonder what a healthy Porter Jr and Kevin Knox would look like together on the floor. I, personally, would not have been opposed to take the wait-and-see approach with MPJr considering our need to get a good pick in 2019. And with the dividends the Sixers are reeping from being patient with Embiid,it might not have been a bad strategy in the grand scheme of things if we could've still taken Knox.

Then we wouldn't have "rolled the dice" on Mitchell Robinson. It's all conjecture and so much more so in the case of Porter. I'm glad the FO did not choose him or give up assets to get him. And I understand the desire to take a chance on someone who had that level of ability. But bad backs....

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
7/20/2018  6:11 PM
NYKBocker wrote:

Terrible parenting if you ask me.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/20/2018  6:45 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
Terrible parenting if you ask me.
It absolutely is.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/20/2018  8:40 PM
NardDogNation wrote:

Definitely would have considered him with #36... even would have used the money we can use to buy picks to take a chance on him in the low 30s.

Have bad vibes about his body breaking down, though.

He will have a good period of time to rebuild his body...maybe he re-sculpts himself with his recovery time.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

7/23/2018  8:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/23/2018  8:25 PM
KnickDanger wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

Then we wouldn't have "rolled the dice" on Mitchell Robinson. It's all conjecture and so much more so in the case of Porter. I'm glad the FO did not choose him or give up assets to get him. And I understand the desire to take a chance on someone who had that level of ability. But bad backs....

I still don't understand the hype of Mitchell Robinson. He has impressive counting stats but I question how much those stats will translate to wins in the future. He fouls at an exceptionally high rate and routinely seemed to make boneheaded decisions that don't necessarily get quantified. It feels a little like Javale McGee/Dwight Howard to me.

In any case, if I had the option of either having Mitchell Robinson or Michael Porter Jr., I take Michael Porter Jr if I think there is a reasonable expectation that he can stay healthy. People are dismissing him because of his injury but there was a reason why he was projected to be the no.1 overall pick in what was considered a good draft. If I could've gotten another first rounder to make a play on him, I would have. We have no playoff ambitions for next year and should have had no problem sitting Porter out for the season in hopes he could pull a Joel Embiid or Blake Griffin the following season.

If the gamble worked, a Knox-Porter-KP trio could have been unstoppable together with their length and versatility. All we'd need is floor general to get them into their actions and I think we'd be a legitimate rival to the youth movements of BOS and PHI.

Michael Porter Jr Had Back Surgery Last Week

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy