[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Woj: Kawhi to Raptors being finalized
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
7/20/2018  9:55 PM
well at least we know kawhi has a passport.

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
7/21/2018  4:28 AM
djsunyc wrote:well at least we know kawhi has a passport.

he looks delighted to be there

LegendD
Member: #8653
Latvia
7/21/2018  1:36 PM
Maybe it's a tricky plan and after the season Kawhi will sign a new contract with Spurs and the team will already have Derozan lol.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
7/21/2018  6:28 PM
CrushAlot wrote:

Hilarious!

Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
7/21/2018  6:29 PM
djsunyc wrote:this trade is 100% proof positive that there is a real anti-canada anti-raptor sentiment with the media.

but the memes are pretty funny tho.

Don't take it personally, you being Canadian and all.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/23/2018  8:28 AM
Super impressed by Ujiri’s apology. Super classy move that took the negative narrative and neutralized it!
Kawhi gonna be looking at a boat load of money if he is healthy next year.
I expect a really good season from him.
He might stay if happy. This kid branding is not really all that great. He is a very very good basketball player but a bit flat personality wise. Nothing wrong with that but his handlers need to let the kid be himself.
djsunyc
7/23/2018  9:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/23/2018  9:46 AM
the media narrative (and expressed by some folks here) is that the raptors should be thanking their lucky stars an all star player likes to play for them. basically, settle for what you got b/c it's the best you're gonna get.

meanwhile, if you lose in the playoffs again, we reserve the right to criticize you any way we see fit.

raptors significantly upgraded their roster. there is no question about it - even IF kawhi is 60% the player he was prior to injury. every single one of demar's advanced metrics for the playoffs are just bad. not just this past season but his entire career. raptors won every single minute of the cavs series dd did not play. considering game 1 went to OT and game 3 was won on a buzzer beater - that really matters.

every single player's DRTG is worse when they're on the court with him. if that wasn't the case, he'd still be here and the raptors probably would have more playoff success.

this is simply a gm that was fed up with the playoffs sweeps and said it's not getting done and made two major moves. even lowry, imho, is not safe. i think the loyalty thing is way overblown. i think this was a major logistical situation since ujiri was in africa with obama building schools and stuff. making this deal from there and trying to get all ducks in a row was probably tough as hell.

with that said, it's a slow news cycle so there has to be some narrative that the media needs to run with here so i get it.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/23/2018  10:38 AM
djsunyc wrote:the media narrative (and expressed by some folks here) is that the raptors should be thanking their lucky stars an all star player likes to play for them. basically, settle for what you got b/c it's the best you're gonna get.

meanwhile, if you lose in the playoffs again, we reserve the right to criticize you any way we see fit.

raptors significantly upgraded their roster. there is no question about it - even IF kawhi is 60% the player he was prior to injury. every single one of demar's advanced metrics for the playoffs are just bad. not just this past season but his entire career. raptors won every single minute of the cavs series dd did not play. considering game 1 went to OT and game 3 was won on a buzzer beater - that really matters.

every single player's DRTG is worse when they're on the court with him. if that wasn't the case, he'd still be here and the raptors probably would have more playoff success.

this is simply a gm that was fed up with the playoffs sweeps and said it's not getting done and made two major moves. even lowry, imho, is not safe. i think the loyalty thing is way overblown. i think this was a major logistical situation since ujiri was in africa with obama building schools and stuff. making this deal from there and trying to get all ducks in a row was probably tough as hell.

with that said, it's a slow news cycle so there has to be some narrative that the media needs to run with here so i get it.

I agree with all of your points. I think Lowry is safe because his contract is one that would be hard to trade because of age/money. I think getting out from Derozan's contract was at least part of the motivation to make the trade. The Raptors also got the better player and kept their best young players. Not much to complain about. I also think the Lakers messed up if they had an actual opportunity to get Kawhi. Giving up a prime year of Lebron in hopes of getting Kawhi as a free agent the following year at this point in Lebron's career is not a good move.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/24/2018  2:40 PM
Nothing is working out for this guy right now. I wonder how much a company like Puma will pony up.
https://www.si.com/nba/2018/07/24/kawhi-leonard-jordan-brand-free-agency-2019

Similar to his tumultuous year in San Antonio, Leonard has not spoke to the media regarding his contract with Jordan Brand nor his plans at the end of his deal later this year. Earlier this year, ESPN reported that talks between Leonard's camp and Jordan stalled. Under his current contract with the shoe company, he earns less than $500,000 per year in the endorsement deal.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
djsunyc
7/25/2018  9:03 AM
i personally think kawhi might be on the spectrum.
Nalod
USA
7/25/2018  3:28 PM
djsunyc wrote:i personally think kawhi might be on the spectrum.

Very much agree. Despite his obvious talent how marketable is this guy? If he is "introverted" how does his team push the narrative for him to go Hollywood? He should take a pass on the sneaker deal and wait until next year.
I wonder how good a job Spurs did in insulating this kid for his and team benefit and perhaps his uncle feeling left out wanted control of him?
Toronto if they can get in his head and insulate him might have a chance to keep him.
Im just guessing here folks.
I know what I saw with Demarr and the raptors.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
7/25/2018  11:04 PM
djsunyc wrote:the media narrative (and expressed by some folks here) is that the raptors should be thanking their lucky stars an all star player likes to play for them. basically, settle for what you got b/c it's the best you're gonna get.

I mean, Kwahi def has the back story of him wanting to play in LA and refusing to resign with any other team. Raptors made the trade so far without any agreements to an extension. These are principals that are worthy of having eye brows raised. As it could mean that Raptors traded away Poeltl, their 2019 first rounder, and Demar Derozan while getting no long term assets in return.

Now if Kwahi resigns its all moot. But trading away Derozan and assets without any assurances from Kwahi is noteworthy.

Casey and Derozan have been fixtures in the Raptors stable success over the years though they couldn't get over the hump. Time will tell if they have been taken for granted due to them creating the raised expectations.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/26/2018  12:57 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:Raptors made the trade so far without any agreements to an extension. These are principals that are worthy of having eye brows raised. As it could mean that Raptors traded away Poeltl, their 2019 first rounder, and Demar Derozan while getting no long term assets in return.

Now if Kwahi resigns its all moot. But trading away Derozan and assets without any assurances from Kwahi is noteworthy.

Raptors have Leonard's Bird Rights, which are quite valuable. The difference between a supermax from the Spurs and what max he could get leaving the Raptors without his Bird Rights in tow is staggering.

Cap flexibility used to be very prized in the league marketplace. Then progressive upticks in the cap plus a two/three year swing of a massive bump have gotten a lot of people taking cap flexibility for granted. Team killing contracts like John Wall is going to create a market shift eventually. Ujiri is getting out ahead of what is going to be a predictable trends in the marketplace.

Dumping DeRozan's contract is not a horrible thing. Short term it could hurt, long term though, the reasoning isn't totally horrible.

Ujiri is betting on having the Bird Rights as a leverage push to keep Leonard.

The Raptors really didn't give up all that much consider they got a Top 10 player in the deal.

Nalod
USA
7/26/2018  8:54 AM
Gotta have the stones to seize opportunities and then the substance to maintain the composure to execute.
I admire the decision they made. It might not work out but Derozen was not leading them to the promised land either.
wargames
Member: #6053

7/26/2018  9:02 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/26/2018  9:03 AM
It was a good trade. Though the rumors the Celtics wanted to give the Spurs all their 1st picks makes me think the Spurs chose to send Kawhi to the frozen north a little bit out of spite. Continuing to run the treadmill with Derozan only comes off not as spiteful if you think they don't want to ask Pop to do a rebuild.
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Nalod
USA
7/26/2018  10:18 AM
wargames wrote:It was a good trade. Though the rumors the Celtics wanted to give the Spurs all their 1st picks makes me think the Spurs chose to send Kawhi to the frozen north a little bit out of spite. Continuing to run the treadmill with Derozan only comes off not as spiteful if you think they don't want to ask Pop to do a rebuild.

I doubt very much spite played any role for the spurs. In a world were the president of the united states and acts like a scorned 12 year old at times I can see the concept but RC Buford and Pop are above that. Most adults are.
Celtics picks are likely not high picks anymore (im not sure really) but if they own any of Philly's picks I think the days of them being lottery are over too.
Spurs are a good team and picks en mass might not fill the timeline for now.
Derozen is not awful and he is an allstar.
Fate has smiled nicely on the Spurs for 20 or more years and the Leonard situation is the first bad break they have had in a while out side of injuries.
Celtics need to part with more than just picks. They also have so many pieces its really hard to see where Leonard would fit without trading Haywood.
Celtics might have made a thin attempt to up the ante to get an in division rival to pay more for an asset.
If Leonard perhaps swore a pledge to resign with Celtics they might have made a move. Truth be told Tatum might grow to be better than him.
Celtics depth was a god send for last years run without Kyrie and Haywood. They also increased their trade potential but salary expectatons also. These are good problems to have BTW!!!!! Ainge is playing chess and has good choices.
He can package a pick with Jaylen Brown and get a nice return. For a one year rental on Leonard that's a high price to pay.

djsunyc
7/26/2018  10:55 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:

I mean, Kwahi def has the back story of him wanting to play in LA and refusing to resign with any other team. Raptors made the trade so far without any agreements to an extension. These are principals that are worthy of having eye brows raised. As it could mean that Raptors traded away Poeltl, their 2019 first rounder, and Demar Derozan while getting no long term assets in return.

Casey and Derozan have been fixtures in the Raptors stable success over the years though they couldn't get over the hump. Time will tell if they have been taken for granted due to them creating the raised expectations.

casey & derozan were great in the regular season but not very good in the playoffs. it's that simple. look at dd's stats - really bad - like not even average. and casey has simply been outcoached many times - by jkidd, erik spoelstra and randy wittman for pete's sake. and had to be told by his gm to change the offense. that's a bit embarrassing. and firing him right now was also the BEST financial move for casey - he got a $7 mil a year job now. coaches are in tough spots and it's all about timing for them to get another opportunity. even ujiri said he did it as soon as he did so case can look for other jobs.

let's say you host entertainment tonight all year long and do a really good job - then when the network calls and ask you to host the academy awards, you get on stage and say "goo goo ga ga"? what should the network do? ujiri gave both of them 3 years in a row to figure it out and they were not good enough. so instead of taking the easy way out and using the regular season as a reason to keep them around, he made the hard decision of using the playoffs as a reason to move them.

and can i repeat - we got kawhi leonard. there's no telling what can happen next summer. okc got paul george in house and convinced him to stay. that alone is reason enough to make this deal. if you don't trade for kawhi, toronto would NEVER be able to get kawhi.

finally the taken for granted makes ZERO sense. casey was given TWO extensions by ujiri. demar was given a $139 mil extension by ujiri. nobody was taken for granted. most coaches and playoff dud performers like that would've been traded after that sad wizards sweep in 2014.

djsunyc
7/26/2018  10:56 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:Raptors made the trade so far without any agreements to an extension. These are principals that are worthy of having eye brows raised. As it could mean that Raptors traded away Poeltl, their 2019 first rounder, and Demar Derozan while getting no long term assets in return.

Raptors have Leonard's Bird Rights, which are quite valuable. The difference between a supermax from the Spurs and what max he could get leaving the Raptors without his Bird Rights in tow is staggering.

Cap flexibility used to be very prized in the league marketplace. Then progressive upticks in the cap plus a two/three year swing of a massive bump have gotten a lot of people taking cap flexibility for granted. Team killing contracts like John Wall is going to create a market shift eventually. Ujiri is getting out ahead of what is going to be a predictable trends in the marketplace.

Dumping DeRozan's contract is not a horrible thing. Short term it could hurt, long term though, the reasoning isn't totally horrible.

Ujiri is betting on having the Bird Rights as a leverage push to keep Leonard.

The Raptors really didn't give up all that much consider they got a Top 10 player in the deal.

you sir get a thumbs up.

djsunyc
7/26/2018  10:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/26/2018  11:00 AM
wargames wrote:It was a good trade. Though the rumors the Celtics wanted to give the Spurs all their 1st picks makes me think the Spurs chose to send Kawhi to the frozen north a little bit out of spite. Continuing to run the treadmill with Derozan only comes off not as spiteful if you think they don't want to ask Pop to do a rebuild.

by all accounts, spurs wanted a real nba player in return. if boston wasn't offering irving, brown or tatum, then the toronto offer trumps bostons.

the kawhi/spurs falling out at to do with a misdiagnosis of his injury. helping kawhi's cause was danny green's recent statements that he had a tear in his groin that was also misdiagnosed by the spurs.

djsunyc
7/26/2018  11:07 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/26/2018  11:10 AM
read this on reddit - a good statistical breakdown:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/91xk6x/discussion_one_week_later_kawhi_leonard_for_demar/e31jnnn/

demar has been a positive in the regular season only once in his career - 2012.
he has been a positive in the playoffs - NEVER.

the only other negative player on the raptors roster last year? - poeltl.

and how much better kawhi is that derozan?

https://www.reddit.com/r/torontoraptors/comments/909lrf/serious_in_your_opinion_how_good_is_kawhi_leonard/e2p76x3/

Woj: Kawhi to Raptors being finalized

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy