Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/16/2018  9:51 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Folks know I'm a big fan of Baker, but I don't feel good about Williams going and Baker still being around, even if Troy is a little too undisciplined as a player when given the freedom.

Williams was pretty awful in summer league...basically playing completely out of control like a chicken with his head chopped off. I think this was his 3rd or 4th summer league but I could be off.

I believe I heard a quote from Fiz on his perfect player and one characteristic was high b-ball IQ and that isn’t Troy.

Also believe Fiz cut Troy in Memphis and he has an unguaranteed deal

Strange...he was under control last year, as we played more of a "system" on offense.

I was critical of our SL team because we seemed to have no system on offense.

I wonder if Troy was hurt because he had no system to keep him under control. Have to say that I saw too much 1/1 ball in SL...I wonder if Williams was actually hurt with having too much freedom on the court, and less constraint.

He really did look out of control at times, much more so than last year.

They wanted to go experiment with Treir at PG. Unfortunately, you really need a competent PG in summer league due to the lack of structure. Remember how bad our SL team looked a couple of years ago before Chasson Randle was cleared to lace em up? Plus, summer league is the time most players get to experiment with the stuff they worked on over the summer. Things that would get pulled immediately if they tried them in an NBA game.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
7/16/2018  11:06 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:I thought he played ok in summer league while others were killing him. I think our lack of depth at SF was already converging, so it's a strange move. Anyway he was third string at best

You thought he played ok? Did u actually watch ever game? He was awful. His handle was bad, no outside shot, out of control. With his experience he should have been dominating. I knew something was off when he wasn't even starting on the SL team.

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
meloshouldgo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5801

7/16/2018  11:29 PM
BigRedDog wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:I thought he played ok in summer league while others were killing him. I think our lack of depth at SF was already converging, so it's a strange move. Anyway he was third string at best

You thought he played ok? Did u actually watch ever game? He was awful. His handle was bad, no outside shot, out of control. With his experience he should have been dominating. I knew something was off when he wasn't even starting on the SL team.

I watched a couple of games on and off, can't honestly say I was dialed in. From what I saw he was active around the basket, grabbed some boards forced a couple of turnovers, really didn't look so bad for a third stringer.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
7/17/2018  6:22 AM
LivingLegend wrote:Troy also got visibly upset “flailing his arms and yelling” at Trier in one game — also on another occasion he committ2 straight turnovers and in each instance made gestures of disgust with his teammates on the second turnover he jogg3d back and the other team for a layup on his man.

Not sure if there is history with he and Fiz from Memphis or Troy knew going into Vegas he was being showcas3d but it was odd he didn’t start at the 3ahead of Trier or Dotson.

I did notice the outbursts. I agree that it was not a good look. I can imagine how he feels. He is still a young guy and he is getting passed over for Knox. But in the NBA, you always have to play the right way and he probably let his fear and emotions get out of control. The team may have sensed that he was going to be a problem. I still think it would have worked itself out in the long run and Williams is a better player than Mudiay and Baker IMO (or at least has more potential), but he also was the cheapest person to cut and they must have concluded that he was not going to be in their long term plans. Not the decision I would have made but I trust Scott Perry's judgment.

Trust the Process
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/17/2018  8:35 AM
First off you commit financially and physically to players under guaranteed contracts. Baker.
Does that mean Baker is with us all next season? No.
We can guess all we want. Troy was cut by Fiz in Memphis so there is history. Might not be good history. Might be all on Fiz too.
Could be Williams was given a chance to showcase and there might be interest in him else where and if not in our plans perhaps HE asked to be let go.
Knox will be given a lot of time to develop unless he is dysfunctional. We have read there will be much minutes given to youth.
I feel bad for him and its a ****ty situation to have to play and his attitude was likely stress related.
Pro ball is a bad business to be in. Far more broken hearts than guaranteed contracts. Troy is so close yet time is ticking. His path might be play overseas for financial security.
Ira
Member: #91
7/17/2018  8:53 AM
Since drafting Knox and signing Hezonja, the Knicks have two small forwards that are better than Williams. They also have Lance who they probably can't move. So, at this point, having a little financial flexibility is probably more important than keeping Williams, who might not even make the team.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/17/2018  10:05 AM
I like having Troy in the mix. He didnt make it. OTher guys did.

At least we kept this thread under 20 pages... On a side note another year with no NDour, another year no playoffs

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/17/2018  11:16 AM
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knicks1248
Member: #582
7/17/2018  11:44 AM
troy was waived by primarily the same coaching staff that waived him in memphis...hmmmm
ES
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/17/2018  11:53 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/17/2018  11:54 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
Uptown wrote:So we cut Troy Williams and keep a useless player like Ron Baker?!!!

Baker

A) Can, at minimum, play NBA level defense on the wing/perimeter. That always has some value.

B) Forms a small expiring contract that can be useful in a possible trade at the deadline

C) Appears, at least on the surface, a better lockerroom guy than Williams

I wish Baker played better like everyone else, but he's generally a good decision maker on the court as well.

Williams unfortunately did what many guys in his situation do, press and start to chuck because they feel it's a better pathway to getting more teams interested if those shots magically start dropping. It's like a desperate gamblers mentality.

With Burke, Hardaway, Lee, Frank, and Mudiay in the backcourt, odds are Baker will be wearing a suit and tie for most if not all of the season baring an injury. Suggesting that Baker is a better locker room guy is a reach...I doubt that was a factor in why we released Williams but you never know. Knicks f***** up by overpaying Baker and guaranteeing that 2nd year....

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/17/2018  12:42 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
Uptown wrote:So we cut Troy Williams and keep a useless player like Ron Baker?!!!

Baker

A) Can, at minimum, play NBA level defense on the wing/perimeter. That always has some value.

B) Forms a small expiring contract that can be useful in a possible trade at the deadline

I wish Baker played better like everyone else, but he's generally a good decision maker on the court as well.

Williams unfortunately did what many guys in his situation do, press and start to chuck because they feel it's a better pathway to getting more teams interested if those shots magically start dropping. It's like a desperate gamblers mentality.

The Knicks have 27 mil in expiring contracts with Baker, Mudiay and Kanter. If you add Lance with 1 mil next year that number bumps up to 33 mil. I wonder if they consider trading expiring for longer contracts and picks. Chasing big free agents by clearing cap space has not gone well in the past. They have until the deadline to figure out what they want to do.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Chandler
Member: #6197

7/17/2018  1:31 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Baker

The Knicks have 27 mil in expiring contracts with Baker, Mudiay and Kanter. If you add Lance with 1 mil next year that number bumps up to 33 mil. I wonder if they consider trading expiring for longer contracts and picks. Chasing big free agents by clearing cap space has not gone well in the past. They have until the deadline to figure out what they want to do.

one difference perhaps is guys like Butler and Kyrie seem to be interested. They're going to get max money regardless. Saying they are interested in Knicks does not seem to be driven by ulterior motive such as driving up contract price (since they'll get that anyway)

(5)(5)
Nalod
USA
7/17/2018  4:15 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Baker

Baker expires after this season. No biggie either way.
Free agents of the past not working is not a genetic condition that exists thru time. That was then, this is now.
That said, Im no starphucher so I don't want to bank on guys coming as the only way.
If Timmy improves, he is a trade asset. Same for anyone of our contracts. When that happens, good things happen to the team.
That's all Im in for at the moment. Im not trying to pave the path and get upset with things I don't know will or not happen.
Durant, Jimmy, Kyrie, another trade, I really don't know.
lets get this group in a good trajectory first then worry. The fun is the journey..

dwiley20
Member: #5755

7/17/2018  5:40 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:

Folks know I'm a big fan of Baker, but I don't feel good about Williams going and Baker still being around, even if Troy is a little too undisciplined as a player when given the freedom.

Finally!! yes!!!

knicks1248
7/26/2018  12:12 PM
This was a respected waive by the knicks knowing troy would see very little PT with knox, mario, lee, THJ, and KP all capable of playing the 3 spot.

Pelicans agree to two-year deal with Troy Williams: source
Updated Jul 25, 7:58 PM; Posted Jul 25, 7:55 PM

By William Guillory
NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

The New Orleans Pelicans agreed to a two-year, non-guaranteed deal with small forward Troy Williams on Wednesday (July 25), a source confirmed. The second year of the contract will be a team option.

Yahoo's Shams Charaina was the first to report the news.

Williams, a 6-foot-7, 218-pound wing, has played with three teams over the first two seasons of his career, with career averages of 6.2 points and 2.6 rebounds.

He started the 2017-18 season with the Houston Rockets and went on to sign with the New York Knicks later in the year after being released, averaging 7.5 points and 3.5 rebounds over 17 contests.

The Pelicans hope the 23-year-old can help bolster the team's lack of depth at the small forward position, joining recent signings Garlon Green and Kenrich Williams as young players that will be battling for a roster spot once training camp rolls around.

Pelicans sign Garlon Green, Kenrich Williams
Pelicans sign Garlon Green, Kenrich Williams

Both deals are non-guaranteed.

Troy Williams went undrafted out of Indiana in 2016 and has played in a total of 51 games during his NBA career.

He played with the Knicks at the Las Vegas Summer League earlier in the month, averaging 11.8 points and four rebounds over five games.

ES
Cartman718
Member: #1694

7/26/2018  6:48 PM
The problem with the Pelicans is that this is where role players go to die. There's no consistency on playing time...this was simply a "i have to put on the family table" move for Troy.

See Langston Galloway's path. They actually have Emeka Okafor on the roster...Emeka....Okafor.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
7/29/2018  11:42 AM
I am surprised he did not go back to Houston. They lost Trevor Aliza and need a SF.
Trust the Process
Nalod
USA
7/29/2018  11:56 AM
TheGame wrote:I am surprised he did not go back to Houston. They lost Trevor Aliza and need a SF.

Melo

knicks1248
8/2/2018  8:13 AM
TheGame wrote:I am surprised he did not go back to Houston. They lost Trevor Aliza and need a SF.

he doesn't space the floor enough

ES
Knicks waive Troy Williams

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy