[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We got one of the best players in the draft
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Posts: 50392
Alba Posts: 8
Joined: 7/30/2002
Member: #303
7/8/2018  8:22 AM
Simple as that-- I don't care if it's one so game.

Robinson is no slouch either and I loved that he stayed within himself and played f tough

Charles Oakley was right and it was awesome to see oak still watching the knicks after what he went through

AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Posts: 34948
Alba Posts: 15
Joined: 7/12/2010
Member: #3186

7/8/2018  9:22 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2018  9:23 AM
Just going by his skill set, not the level of competition, I think you're right. Knox has great balance, can finish under the rim in a variety of ways, and he's fearless about taking it to the rim. Sometimes too fearless, took his share of spills, better than the opposite approach.

Really impressed with the form on his jumper, doesnt have to be standing completely still to get a good look, quick release.

Robinson improves his footwork, look out.

smackeddog
Posts: 33221
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/30/2005
Member: #883
7/8/2018  10:06 AM
I like his attitude, ball iq, work ethic, size, athleticism and skill set--he has everything needed to become a very good player, but it was one game, there will be many bumps along the way. Let's give him time to develop.
smackeddog
Posts: 33221
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 3/30/2005
Member: #883
7/8/2018  10:07 AM
What we're peoples opinions on Troy Williams? Summer league fluke or does he have potential to be good?
StarksEwing1
Posts: 31162
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/28/2012
Member: #4451

7/8/2018  10:14 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Simple as that-- I don't care if it's one so game.

Robinson is no slouch either and I loved that he stayed within himself and played f tough

Charles Oakley was right and it was awesome to see oak still watching the knicks after what he went through

ive guess you moved on from Kevin Huerter already lol. I agree about Knox. I actually wanted him more than bridges because his ceiling is much much higher. Love his aggresiveness and speed. John Calipari said within two years teams wod feel sorry for passing on Knox
StarksEwing1
Posts: 31162
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 12/28/2012
Member: #4451

7/8/2018  10:15 AM
smackeddog wrote:What we're peoples opinions on Troy Williams? Summer league fluke or does he have potential to be good?
Happy with Troy. He is a bit older so i expect him to do well. But i love his energy
TheGame
Posts: 25378
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/15/2006
Member: #1154
USA
7/8/2018  11:11 AM
Wow. Between the crying fan at the draft and BRIGGS actually conceding that he is good after only one game, it is clear Knox is going to be a Hall of Famer.

Knicks had the best draft by far. Knox is probably the 3rd to 4th best player in this draft and Robinson in two years will probably be the 7th of 8th best player in this draft. Even Trier looks like he should have been a first rounder. We might have drafted our future frontcourt for the next ten years. Pick up Kyrie Irvin and Klay Thompson (through sign and trade of Hardaway) next summer and we are competing for a championship in 2020.

Playoffs or bust
NYKBocker
Posts: 35695
Alba Posts: 472
Joined: 1/14/2003
Member: #377
USA
7/8/2018  11:32 AM
Knox ceiling is KD 2.0. His floor is Tatum or Giannis. I love this kid.
BigDaddyG
Posts: 26246
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

7/8/2018  11:39 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:What we're peoples opinions on Troy Williams? Summer league fluke or does he have potential to be good?
Happy with Troy. He is a bit older so i expect him to do well. But i love his energy

Troy has always been impressive the times I've seen him in summer league. The question is how much he carries that into the season.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
blkexec
Posts: 24677
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 9/3/2004
Member: #748
7/8/2018  11:40 AM
I'm not worried about knox.....I'm worried about Briggs jinxing knox like hes done to all the other players Briggs raved about.

We have the best player? Best draft? lmao......I told yall this would happen. We are just as guilty as the media for setting up our players to fail. They did ok....nothing great. But I love how fearless all of our draft picks are. I love troy williamson's energy.....sometimes hes a little wild but that's something u have to except because he brings more positives than negative. And hes still the most athletic player on the team.

I'm rooting for Trier. I think hes not even close to his potential. I see Lue William's in him. capella in Robinson....Knox has that go to game.....someone who can lead a team with his play on both ends. Frank looked solid on defense.....his defense will improve this season.....which is crazy when u think about that. It's hard not to set high expectations....but what happens if everybody looks like trash next game? We start turning on these guys. pointing out all the negatives. Hopefully we as knick fans have grown from that. Let's enjoy these beginning stages of player development.

Q: What is the difference between a Knicks fan and a baby? A: The baby will stop whining after awhile.
LivingLegend
Posts: 21775
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 8/13/2007
Member: #1645

7/8/2018  12:38 PM
To think we could have taken Kyrie Thomas or J-Brunson at #9
LivingLegend
Posts: 21775
Alba Posts: 2
Joined: 8/13/2007
Member: #1645

7/8/2018  12:40 PM
smackeddog wrote:What we're peoples opinions on Troy Williams? Summer league fluke or does he have potential to be good?

Great energy player but out of control often...low IQ player. The 1 play yesterday where he just dribbled right smack dab into waiting defender was example of low IQ comment.

WaltLongmire
Posts: 27617
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/28/2014
Member: #5843

7/8/2018  12:51 PM
smackeddog wrote:What we're peoples opinions on Troy Williams? Summer league fluke or does he have potential to be good?

Could not see the game, but saw the stats, and know what he looked like last year.

Did he hit any jumpers? If his perimeter game solidifies, he might be a rotational player at some point...if it remains like what we saw last year, he can still be an energy/spark player you bring into a game at certain moments.

Has some toughness, and is a very good athlete. He is willing to defend, too.

I understand he can be sloppy at times, but every team can use a guy like him to mix things up.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Nalod
Posts: 56395
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
7/8/2018  12:55 PM
Temper it down. Its ****ing summer league.
Coach might have told Frank to just get the others involved and not worry about scoring.
Knox 3 pt shot was off. Seemed like coach told him to go to the rim!
Don't care if its one SL game? Thats fine, but maybe care about the substance of what you say because if you look at whats on the floor and the limited time many of them practiced with each other its easy to conclude the reality of the games are bloated by media and that they do a good job selling tickets.
The real purpose is to get the rookies in, get a taste, then settle in to what they need to work on the rest of the summer.
Briggs is very impressionable. Watch a game, find highlights then proclaim "Sleeper" status as if he made the discovery himself.
Not saying we should be unhappy with a good performance but this is not the NBA, its summer league and drawing conclusions is very premature.
You don't show a fool a job half done!
WaltLongmire
Posts: 27617
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 6/28/2014
Member: #5843

7/8/2018  12:58 PM
blkexec wrote:I'm not worried about knox.....I'm worried about Briggs jinxing knox like hes done to all the other players Briggs raved about.

We have the best player? Best draft? lmao......I told yall this would happen. We are just as guilty as the media for setting up our players to fail. They did ok....nothing great. But I love how fearless all of our draft picks are. I love troy williamson's energy.....sometimes hes a little wild but that's something u have to except because he brings more positives than negative. And hes still the most athletic player on the team.

I'm rooting for Trier. I think hes not even close to his potential. I see Lue William's in him. capella in Robinson....Knox has that go to game.....someone who can lead a team with his play on both ends. Frank looked solid on defense.....his defense will improve this season.....which is crazy when u think about that. It's hard not to set high expectations....but what happens if everybody looks like trash next game? We start turning on these guys. pointing out all the negatives. Hopefully we as knick fans have grown from that. Let's enjoy these beginning stages of player development.

Did not see the game...Your opinion:

How did Robinson look 1/1 in the paint? Is he easy to move? How is his lower body?

Trier/Knox...both the same question- How did their perimeter D look? I saw the one clip on the perimeter where Knox looked solid at the end of the game.

Watched Trier play against Ball in a video, and I wasn't happy with his perimeter D, seemed to float a lot. Was he able to play tighter D yesterday?

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
NardDogNation
Posts: 26793
Alba Posts: 4
Joined: 5/7/2013
Member: #5555

7/8/2018  1:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2018  1:22 PM
TheGame wrote:Wow. Between the crying fan at the draft and BRIGGS actually conceding that he is good after only one game, it is clear Knox is going to be a Hall of Famer.

Knicks had the best draft by far. Knox is probably the 3rd to 4th best player in this draft and Robinson in two years will probably be the 7th of 8th best player in this draft. Even Trier looks like he should have been a first rounder. We might have drafted our future frontcourt for the next ten years. Pick up Kyrie Irvin and Klay Thompson (through sign and trade of Hardaway) next summer and we are competing for a championship in 2020.

You guys are piling on BRIGGS but I was wrong too and gladly so. I initially felt we should've selected Mikal Bridges to recoup the 16th and Miami's unprotected 2021, in order to hedge our bet a little. But clearly Knox has made significant strides from his Kentucky days and was undoubtedly worth any risk associated with just staying at 9. I rarely change my opinion at the drop of a dime but what I saw of Knox yesterday was enough to convince me that the "potential" is more than theoretical. Kid has the ability to be a star- a legitimate star that makes a meaningful contribution to the win column.

I was also thoroughly impressed with Damyean Dotson (even though he is older). I think he's always been a legitimate candidate to be a 3-n-D type but his passing/vision was also pretty good. Not all of them lead directly to assists but he was continually finding teammates and making the right play.

But i supppse I still got a little "Negative Nancy" in me though because I thought Mitchell Robinson and Alonzo Tier were trash, particularly Robinson. He seems like a moron, both on and off the court, which makes me inclinced to think he'll never put it together especially since his athleticism looked more like hype to me. He had a bunch of blocks but at his size that wasn't surprising since he is something of a stat-chaser and was willing to expose the defense to get them. But I can't malign the frontoffice too much over a secound round pick, when it seems we did pretty well for ourselves with Knox.

TripleThreat
Posts: 22098
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 2/24/2012
Member: #3997

7/8/2018  3:08 PM
NardDogNation wrote:You guys are piling on BRIGGS but I was wrong too and gladly so. I initially felt we should've selected Mikal Bridges to recoup the 16th and Miami's unprotected 2021, in order to hedge our bet a little. But clearly Knox has made significant strides from his Kentucky days and was undoubtedly worth any risk associated with just staying at 9. I rarely change my opinion at the drop of a dime but what I saw of Knox yesterday was enough to convince me that the "potential" is more than theoretical. Kid has the ability to be a star- a legitimate star that makes a meaningful contribution to the win column.

Rookie players. Going up against a lot of guys who are not NBA grade competition. (Some are, many are not) Without a deep scouting book developed yet on some of these guys ( No one has a depth look at Robinson enough to game plan for him yet) Getting volume looks that they wouldn't in the NBA.

As a Knicks fan, I'm hoping for the best from Knox and Robinson and the rest, but it's too early to start declaring anything.

The gaps in the general tiers in talent in pro basketball is pretty steep.

Let's hope they keep doing well, but maybe it's not quite time to start sucking them off yet.

"Should have paid Lin and rid ourselves of Melo. Lin makes every team better." - HofstraBBall 11/12/2018
BigDaddyG
Posts: 26246
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

7/8/2018  3:16 PM
The jury is still out, but this thread reminds me of another who killed it in summer league. Briggs also hyped that dude.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Welpee
Posts: 22105
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/22/2016
Member: #6239

7/8/2018  3:29 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2018  3:31 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:You guys are piling on BRIGGS but I was wrong too and gladly so. I initially felt we should've selected Mikal Bridges to recoup the 16th and Miami's unprotected 2021, in order to hedge our bet a little. But clearly Knox has made significant strides from his Kentucky days and was undoubtedly worth any risk associated with just staying at 9. I rarely change my opinion at the drop of a dime but what I saw of Knox yesterday was enough to convince me that the "potential" is more than theoretical. Kid has the ability to be a star- a legitimate star that makes a meaningful contribution to the win column.

Rookie players. Going up against a lot of guys who are not NBA grade competition. (Some are, many are not) Without a deep scouting book developed yet on some of these guys ( No one has a depth look at Robinson enough to game plan for him yet) Getting volume looks that they wouldn't in the NBA.

As a Knicks fan, I'm hoping for the best from Knox and Robinson and the rest, but it's too early to start declaring anything.

The gaps in the general tiers in talent in pro basketball is pretty steep.

Let's hope they keep doing well, but maybe it's not quite time to start sucking them off yet.

I'm not sure how you're defining "looks" but the encouraging thing about Robinson was he didn't have anything run for him that I remember. Everything was off just hustle and athleticism. Running the floor as a big and getting a pass on the break or getting an offensive rebound and flushing it or blocking four shots is not about "a volume of looks" in my opinion unless we're defining "looks" differently.

Now he did have a couple of lazy plays off the ball he needs to tighten up, but this was his first organized game in over a year so I'm not going crazy about him in either direction. But I still say his play was encouraging especially considering where he was drafted.

doomed
Posts: 20132
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/13/2006
Member: #1078

7/8/2018  3:40 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Knox ceiling is KD 2.0. His floor is Tatum or Giannis. I love this kid.

Slow down! His floor???

My word....

We got one of the best players in the draft

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.