[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Re watched the game to focus on Frank
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/9/2018  8:26 AM
Chandler wrote:agree he needs to use his size better (in any of a number of ways). He needs to exploit his strengths

that he's deferential by nature is a great, not good, trait for a pg; right now, i think he might be a little too much so, and he'll need to realize that he needs to establish himself as a scoring threat -- to further make his teammates better. The defense will need to respect him

You saw nice signs at the end of the season last year. First game he was very passive. This time much more aggressive.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
TheGame
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1154
USA
7/9/2018  9:20 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/9/2018  9:32 AM
Frank with the big F-U for all his haters. 17pts on 50% shooting. Frank needs another year before he gets to where he needs to be offensively, but people need to be patient.
Trust the Process
Gudris
Member: #6213

7/9/2018  9:30 AM
TheGame wrote:Frank with the big F-U for all his haters. 17pts on 50% shooting. Frank needs another before he gets to where he needs to be offensively, but people need to be patient.

i can wait 4 years, no rush, his defense is so good I don't care about how many years it takes

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
7/9/2018  10:01 AM
Briggs knows nothing
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
7/9/2018  10:13 AM
TheGame wrote:Frank with the big F-U for all his haters. 17pts on 50% shooting. Frank needs another year before he gets to where he needs to be offensively, but people need to be patient.

im not comparing him to kawhi leonard in the slightest (although i obviously hope he reaches that) but i see such a correlation between the two and i been saying it since last year. when kawhi first entered the league he was passively offensively but such a handful to deal with defensively, which is what i see with frank. now kawhi didn't have shooting issues like frank does, but frank is always working and im sure he'll figure things out with his shot, i mean he only is 19. i think frank can end up to be a fantastic all-around player like kawhi, he may never be QUITE the offensive player that he is, but i think he can be close, as long as he keeps working. saw alot of great things in his game last night against the jazz, love the assertiveness... he's gonna be good, real good, just need some patience.

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
knicks1248
Member: #582
7/9/2018  10:38 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/9/2018  10:40 AM
TheGame wrote:Frank with the big F-U for all his haters. 17pts on 50% shooting. Frank needs another year before he gets to where he needs to be offensively, but people need to be patient.

It's really hard to ever asked a Knick to be patient at this point, not when you have had 1 good season in the last 15 yrs, and about a dozen draft picks that never lived up to their potential.

I listen to franks interview after the game, and he admitted to being so use to coming down and focusing on setting up the offense, becuase that's how he was taught. When you plant those kind of seeds in a kids head at such an early age it's tough to break him out of it. He's had a couple of games last season like he did last night, but he follows that up with another timid performance.

This league is so fast now of days, the last thing that any team wants to do is give a defense a chance to set up.

Mitch said after the game when ask what he needs to work on the most, and he said "I'm going to need to get in better shape because once teams get the rebound they're gone". I don't think frank gets that part yet, and if Mitch can figure that out after 2 SL games, and frank can't after 82 games, that is a measure of concern because JH preached it to him as well. Hopefully Fiz approach helps him.

ES
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/9/2018  10:49 AM
nixluva wrote:In the 2nd Game versus the Jazz Frank finally displayed something I was hoping he would eventually learn to use. His BULLY BALL game. He's got such a size advantage over smaller guards that he needs to use it much more often. He used it only a small amount last year and in the 1st SL game he used it only a couple of times against Trae Young but tonight Frank really got serious using it. I'm so happen about this development because it's something he's going to be able to rely on going forward. His size and length makes it impossible for smaller guards when he backs them down of goes to his Turn Around Jumper.

I was hoping it wasn't a fluke and then I watched his post game interview and he did state that it's something he's aware of and plans to use. This is a great development for him.

I loved what i saw from Frank last night but i'm trying to figure out why you call what he did last night bully ball? It was mostly turn around jumpers which were great but i didn't see any bully ball from Frank. For me Bully ball is playing to contact and driving into guys but Frank stayed away from contact really. I think bully ball is what he needs, he needs to take contact and guys bumping him around but it seems to me like Frank stays away from contact.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/9/2018  10:53 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

It's really hard to ever asked a Knick to be patient at this point, not when you have had 1 good season in the last 15 yrs, and about a dozen draft picks that never lived up to their potential.

I listen to franks interview after the game, and he admitted to being so use to coming down and focusing on setting up the offense, becuase that's how he was taught. When you plant those kind of seeds in a kids head at such an early age it's tough to break him out of it. He's had a couple of games last season like he did last night, but he follows that up with another timid performance.

This league is so fast now of days, the last thing that any team wants to do is give a defense a chance to set up.

Mitch said after the game when ask what he needs to work on the most, and he said "I'm going to need to get in better shape because once teams get the rebound they're gone". I don't think frank gets that part yet, and if Mitch can figure that out after 2 SL games, and frank can't after 82 games, that is a measure of concern because JH preached it to him as well. Hopefully Fiz approach helps him.

Robinson figured that out because he was getting beat by his man on transition. Frank barely gets beat on transition by the opposing team. Different points of view.

It's really not hard to be patient. You just got to teach yourself to be patient. Same way you are asking Frank to teach himself to be more aggressive. He is a hard worker. He will get it. He will never be a new age PG. He is very similar to Scottie Pippen as a point forward. I am OK with that.

newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

7/9/2018  10:55 AM
knicks1248 wrote:

But the Knicks have never actually done a true rebuild like they're doing now so patience is gonna be key in doing this rebuild the right way. It's alright to not be patient when all we did the last 15 years was spend money on any big name free agent we could get to come here and that's not who this team is anymore, or at least right now and until we can get some good young talent in here which we're doing.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/9/2018  11:33 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
nixluva wrote:In the 2nd Game versus the Jazz Frank finally displayed something I was hoping he would eventually learn to use. His BULLY BALL game. He's got such a size advantage over smaller guards that he needs to use it much more often. He used it only a small amount last year and in the 1st SL game he used it only a couple of times against Trae Young but tonight Frank really got serious using it. I'm so happen about this development because it's something he's going to be able to rely on going forward. His size and length makes it impossible for smaller guards when he backs them down of goes to his Turn Around Jumper.

I was hoping it wasn't a fluke and then I watched his post game interview and he did state that it's something he's aware of and plans to use. This is a great development for him.

I loved what i saw from Frank last night but i'm trying to figure out why you call what he did last night bully ball? It was mostly turn around jumpers which were great but i didn't see any bully ball from Frank. For me Bully ball is playing to contact and driving into guys but Frank stayed away from contact really. I think bully ball is what he needs, he needs to take contact and guys bumping him around but it seems to me like Frank stays away from contact.

It was Bully Ball for him since he was using his size to back his man down and go to work. He even went right thru a guy on a drive, got bumped but finished. He's also going over guys that are smaller. He's had this in his game but just didn't use it. I remember he did post a small PG last year but it was like a shooting star cuz he didn't use that part of his game nearly enough. Last night was the 1st time he went back to it with intention.

knicks1248
7/9/2018  11:48 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/9/2018  11:51 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

But the Knicks have never actually done a true rebuild like they're doing now so patience is gonna be key in doing this rebuild the right way. It's alright to not be patient when all we did the last 15 years was spend money on any big name free agent we could get to come here and that's not who this team is anymore, or at least right now and until we can get some good young talent in here which we're doing.

When you draft suspect players like lee, nate, chandler, ect, that aren't moving the needle after 3 yrs, your force to move in another direction.. The same thing happens in every losing situation.

The idea that walsh and phil weren't building through the draft is ridiculous.

If kawhi wanted to come to the Knicks like melo did, bet your sweet ass some of these young ones would be traded along with a 1st pick. It's like were sitting on back to back to back Playoffs appearances, when an opportunity comes to push the needle you make a move.

ES
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/9/2018  12:25 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

When you draft suspect players like lee, nate, chandler, ect, that aren't moving the needle after 3 yrs, your force to move in another direction.. The same thing happens in every losing situation.

If kawhi wanted to come to the Knicks like melo did, bet your sweet ass some of these young ones would be traded along with a 1st pick. It's like were sitting on back to back to back Playoffs appearances, when an opportunity comes to push the needle you make a move.

Lee, Nate, Chandler weren't lottery picks. They were tail end of the first round picks that were bought by Isiah Thomas by eating Malik Rose contract. The needle didn't move due to the # of draft picks given up in the Marbury and Eddie Curry trades which landed such pieces as Noah, Aldridge & Gordan Hayward. As well as cap space free agents that landed Suns Steve Nash.

Knicks had Marbury, Crawford, Curry, Richardson, Randolph, Tim Thomas etc during this era. This falls in line with proven vets to win now which you preach. So why didn't they win? And why are you blaming tail end of the first round picks as the reason?

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knicks1248
7/9/2018  12:50 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Lee, Nate, Chandler weren't lottery picks. They were tail end of the first round picks that were bought by Isiah Thomas by eating Malik Rose contract. The needle didn't move due to the # of draft picks given up in the Marbury and Eddie Curry trades which landed such pieces as Noah, Aldridge & Gordan Hayward. As well as cap space free agents that landed Suns Steve Nash.

Knicks had Marbury, Crawford, Curry, Richardson, Randolph, Tim Thomas etc during this era. This falls in line with proven vets to win now which you preach. So why didn't they win? And why are you blaming tail end of the first round picks as the reason?

Yeah but that was Isiah Thomas 12 yrs and 4 presidents ago. Melo was worth a 1st round pick at the time considering you had 1 all star already in Amare.

The knicks need to give up another pick to off Noah's cap killing contract, that would gives us close to 40 million in cap space, enough to sign two top tier players to go along with a nice young crew. you have 5 solid young players.. Dotson, frank, KP, mitch and Knox..thats 5 young core players, add 2 top tier FA, and couple 2nd tier, and we are contenders..

ES
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/9/2018  1:53 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Yeah but that was Isiah Thomas 12 yrs and 4 presidents ago. Melo was worth a 1st round pick at the time considering you had 1 all star already in Amare.

The knicks need to give up another pick to off Noah's cap killing contract, that would gives us close to 40 million in cap space, enough to sign two top tier players to go along with a nice young crew. you have 5 solid young players.. Dotson, frank, KP, mitch and Knox..thats 5 young core players, add 2 top tier FA, and couple 2nd tier, and we are contenders..

But you make claims that winning now is the formula for success. You then ignore the win now moves which caused the Knicks lack of success over the last 18 yrs and blame it on on draft picks which we have had few and far in between. Seems pretty fraudulent to me.

Melo cost more than a first round pick. But the deal on its face wasn't a bad one to me. What was bad was the assets given up prior to the Melo deal. Getting scraps back for Lee who produced 18-12-4. The fact that Amare and Melo didn't even really compliment each other and Amare shouldn't have gotten the deal he did anyway. Refusing to add Fields in the deal and giving up a future first instead only to lose him in FA for nothing. Using the Amnesty on Billups expiring contract. Etc, Etc, ETc, Etc.

You give up a pick to dump Noah if its all but guaranteed that 2 studs are coming and we just need the cap space to finalize it. Don't give up the first in HOPES that someone will come since we have cap space. And I'm not giving up this yrs draft pick. I wouldn't make an deal to dump Noah until next off season when he has one yr left and the price to take him off our hands would drop drastically. And that's after evaluating if its not just better to stretch him for 2 seasons at 10mil a pop.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knicks1248
7/9/2018  3:24 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

But you make claims that winning now is the formula for success. You then ignore the win now moves which caused the Knicks lack of success over the last 18 yrs and blame it on on draft picks which we have had few and far in between. Seems pretty fraudulent to me.

Melo cost more than a first round pick. But the deal on its face wasn't a bad one to me. What was bad was the assets given up prior to the Melo deal. Getting scraps back for Lee who produced 18-12-4. The fact that Amare and Melo didn't even really compliment each other and Amare shouldn't have gotten the deal he did anyway. Refusing to add Fields in the deal and giving up a future first instead only to lose him in FA for nothing. Using the Amnesty on Billups expiring contract. Etc, Etc, ETc, Etc.

You give up a pick to dump Noah if its all but guaranteed that 2 studs are coming and we just need the cap space to finalize it. Don't give up the first in HOPES that someone will come since we have cap space. And I'm not giving up this yrs draft pick. I wouldn't make an deal to dump Noah until next off season when he has one yr left and the price to take him off our hands would drop drastically. And that's after evaluating if its not just better to stretch him for 2 seasons at 10mil a pop.

Winning now doesn't mean trading away every asset you have, it means putting your self in position(in the knicks case) to be a contender within 3 yrs, not 5

The only thing in life that's guaranteed is death, everything else is a risk.

I think stretching Noah is dumb, maybe if he had 3 or 4 yrs left, paying someone $8 mill a yr long after his gone is very short sighted. He's an expiring contract after next season.

ES
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/9/2018  4:49 PM
agreed. Frank was a raw prospect so its gonna probably take another year to see him fully confident in his offensive game. Last night was a good sign because he was being aggressive throughout the whole game which we havent seen him do. Looking forward to tomorrow
Juliano
Member: #7589

7/9/2018  5:18 PM
Looking at the footage, he's got to spend some time in the gym working high intensity squats to improve his burst of pace. Once he's gained speed, his long strides will do the rest but he's got to work on that first step if he wants to beat NBA caliber guards.
Ira
Member: #91
7/10/2018  9:26 AM
I think what we'll see from Frank this season is -
1) At some point, he'll win the starting pg job.
2) He'll average 10+ points per game with good scoring efficiency.
3) He'll average 5-7 assists per game with less than 3 tov.
4) He'll continue to play excellent defense.
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

7/10/2018  11:58 AM
Juliano wrote:Looking at the footage, he's got to spend some time in the gym working high intensity squats to improve his burst of pace. Once he's gained speed, his long strides will do the rest but he's got to work on that first step if he wants to beat NBA caliber guards.

Yeah - not sure if squats would be my answer but agree with you on the need to improve his quickness/explosion.

If I were training him (his body) would have him doing a bunch of quick-twitch feet drills and shorter area explosion drills...even sprints to improve his pace.

He moves a bit awkwardly (hunches over when he starts to accelerate) --- love Frankie but really wishing he gets the whole notion of picking up the pace and trying to get into the paint.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/10/2018  12:03 PM
blkexec wrote:
TheGame wrote:I listened to Fizdale's interview after the game and his view was, he is going to let Frank be who he is. Frank is a winning basketball player. In the 4th, with the game on the line, Franks comes down and gets an and-1 that really put the game away. Granted Frank needs to recognize his advantages better on offense but telling him to force offense may not be the best approach. Frank did not score much because the team did not need him to score much. If we had been down by 10, then Frank would have gotten aggressive. That is just how he plays. Maybe he needs to just focus on cutting down the turnovers and developing his jumper. It is frustrating though because you can see that this kid could easily average 15 pts or so if he changed his mindset.

Thank you.....Your post was spot on.....Not sure what Briggs is talking about. Hes trying to make Frank be somebody else. I'm just glad we have fiz.....someone who doesn't put his players in a box. Maybe this was the aggressive version of Frank. We have to look at what he will become, instead of forcing him to be what hes not.....RIGHT NOW. Everybody can't be a gunner....Frank provides that balance. He plays with a calmness you usually see in old vets. He probably going g to be like this for a while....Not sure why that's bad. Young lock down defensive guard....who can dribble....shoot....and looks to make the best play. That's a coaches dream which is why he will have a long career. When his contract is up.....he will be a cheap player to sign long term. He can guard almost every guard in the NBA. Best guard defender on our team.

Agree with most of this. My only knock on Frank is not really with him but with the Knicks taking him as top 10 pick. However, think that he is a real plus on defense. He is young and should improve on offense slowly. Although I am worried that he is just naturally too passive on offense and may never be a guy to do much in terms of scoring, he is a Knick now and think there are other things/players to focus on.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Re watched the game to focus on Frank

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy