[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Re watched the game to focus on Frank
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/8/2018  4:07 AM
There was a few moments both positive and negative that stood out but I wanted to focus on one positive play. There was a sequence when Frank used his length while being guarded by trae young where he simply shielded young with his body and easily used his length to put up a nifty one- handed lay up. It seemed so easy but he kind of reverted back to almost a non chalant pace.

He needs to stay aggressive because he’s not a great athlete— he cannot turn it on when he needs it — he needs to stay on. He has to be a tad selfish when he can to take a few 3s and when he has a lane just aggressively take it.

Sometimes he looks like a ph— other times not at all. He’s young but don’t want to use that as excuse
He needs more involvement in game. He’s got potential to be a 10-10-10 type player but he’s got to play much harder and smarter to make up for his lack of explosion

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
TheGame
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1154
USA
7/8/2018  6:07 AM
I listened to Fizdale's interview after the game and his view was, he is going to let Frank be who he is. Frank is a winning basketball player. In the 4th, with the game on the line, Franks comes down and gets an and-1 that really put the game away. Granted Frank needs to recognize his advantages better on offense but telling him to force offense may not be the best approach. Frank did not score much because the team did not need him to score much. If we had been down by 10, then Frank would have gotten aggressive. That is just how he plays. Maybe he needs to just focus on cutting down the turnovers and developing his jumper. It is frustrating though because you can see that this kid could easily average 15 pts or so if he changed his mindset.
Trust the Process
blkexec
Member: #748
7/8/2018  9:03 AM
TheGame wrote:I listened to Fizdale's interview after the game and his view was, he is going to let Frank be who he is. Frank is a winning basketball player. In the 4th, with the game on the line, Franks comes down and gets an and-1 that really put the game away. Granted Frank needs to recognize his advantages better on offense but telling him to force offense may not be the best approach. Frank did not score much because the team did not need him to score much. If we had been down by 10, then Frank would have gotten aggressive. That is just how he plays. Maybe he needs to just focus on cutting down the turnovers and developing his jumper. It is frustrating though because you can see that this kid could easily average 15 pts or so if he changed his mindset.

Thank you.....Your post was spot on.....Not sure what Briggs is talking about. Hes trying to make Frank be somebody else. I'm just glad we have fiz.....someone who doesn't put his players in a box. Maybe this was the aggressive version of Frank. We have to look at what he will become, instead of forcing him to be what hes not.....RIGHT NOW. Everybody can't be a gunner....Frank provides that balance. He plays with a calmness you usually see in old vets. He probably going g to be like this for a while....Not sure why that's bad. Young lock down defensive guard....who can dribble....shoot....and looks to make the best play. That's a coaches dream which is why he will have a long career. When his contract is up.....he will be a cheap player to sign long term. He can guard almost every guard in the NBA. Best guard defender on our team.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/8/2018  9:12 AM
"Letting Frank be Frank", "not putting him in a box" wont stop the other team from preparing for a player who is very hesitant to drive and shoot. Makes it 4 on 5, if Frank doesnt take what the defense gives him. Cant gloss that over.

This might be just one game where Frank wanted to help the rooks get off to a good start. Maybe Frank has more offense in him than he's showing right now. At some point he has to show it, or he probably wont be here by the end of his contract.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/8/2018  9:20 AM
GustavBahler wrote:"Letting Frank be Frank", "not putting him in a box" wont stop the other team from preparing for a player who is very hesitant to drive and shoot. Makes it 4 on 5, if Frank doesnt take what the defense gives him. Cant gloss that over.

This might be just one game where Frank wanted to help the rooks get off to a good start. Maybe Frank has more offense in him than he's showing right now. At some point he has to show it, or he probably wont be here by the end of his contract.

This. I haven't seen Frank get aggressive when the team needs him to very often. I don't think it is something he can just turn on when it is needed. He needs to be pushed to be aggressive and to put pressure on the defense. Otherwise he should not be playing the point.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
7/8/2018  9:48 AM
TheGame wrote:I listened to Fizdale's interview after the game and his view was, he is going to let Frank be who he is. Frank is a winning basketball player. In the 4th, with the game on the line, Franks comes down and gets an and-1 that really put the game away. Granted Frank needs to recognize his advantages better on offense but telling him to force offense may not be the best approach. Frank did not score much because the team did not need him to score much. If we had been down by 10, then Frank would have gotten aggressive. That is just how he plays. Maybe he needs to just focus on cutting down the turnovers and developing his jumper. It is frustrating though because you can see that this kid could easily average 15 pts or so if he changed his mindset.

I've seen plenty of times us down by 10 and Frank not get aggressive. Where are you getting that from?

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
7/8/2018  9:57 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2018  10:03 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:"Letting Frank be Frank", "not putting him in a box" wont stop the other team from preparing for a player who is very hesitant to drive and shoot. Makes it 4 on 5, if Frank doesnt take what the defense gives him. Cant gloss that over.

This. I haven't seen Frank get aggressive when the team needs him to very often. I don't think it is something he can just turn on when it is needed. He needs to be pushed to be aggressive and to put pressure on the defense. Otherwise he should not be playing the point.

The dilemma though is that Frank pretty much shut down penetration from a half court set. Young could hardly get into the lane himself, and seeing how Frank would handle a fast/quick guard like Young was something I wanted to see. And Frank pretty much stonewalled his penetration.

Him not being on the team and not being the PG may be overstatements. His defensive contributions are too necessary for today's NBA. The question is basically would he be able to develop into a lead guard. Or will he have to play with a package of a point forward type off the bench.

Edit: Actually no, he would need to be a feature off the bench instead of packages with a point forward. Until he learns to work harder for shot offensively away from the ball.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
7/8/2018  10:18 AM
I think a lot of it has to due with Frank coming from Europe (SIG Strasbourg) and they play a very structured style of basketball, with lots of cutting and set plays. From the highlights I've seen, he also wasn't used as a primary ball handler often, he was playing off the ball. He still hasn't fully adjusted to the American style which features more ball dominant play makers and guys sitting in their spots for spacing and waiting for the defense to be broken down. So when he's dumping off at the top of the key, it's because there's nothing for him there (there's no wide open lane to the basket or an open shot) and he's just trying to keep the offense flowing.
Rose is not the answer.
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/8/2018  10:19 AM
I expect a better second game. He definetly struggled for most of the game but at the same time it could of been unfamiliarity with a lot of the kids. Yes i agree he is thinking pass first too much. However i think fizdale is the right guy to help him be more aggressive
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/8/2018  11:31 AM
Frank is kinda like Carlos Boozer. Not their position obviously but the way they play and type of play. They will never look good in an all-star type event or playing with players looking for their own shot or players that is not fundamentally sound as him. He will look great in a system that has players knowing how to cut and how to play the right way. That's why he is perfect for KP and now Knox. He doesn't have to score to be effective. He doesn't have to dominate the ball to win. He will pressure the ball defensively and setup his scoring teammates. He is perfect for this team.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/8/2018  11:35 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:I expect a better second game. He definetly struggled for most of the game but at the same time it could of been unfamiliarity with a lot of the kids. Yes i agree he is thinking pass first too much. However i think fizdale is the right guy to help him be more aggressive

Yeah, just like it's ridiculous to read too much into Trae Young's first few SL games, I'm not going to go all in on Frank after one SL game. There's a lot at play. Chemeistry after a short practice stint, getting acclimated to game speed, etc. I wanted to see him shoot more, but I can get make verdict one or the other.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

7/8/2018  11:39 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:I expect a better second game. He definetly struggled for most of the game but at the same time it could of been unfamiliarity with a lot of the kids. Yes i agree he is thinking pass first too much. However i think fizdale is the right guy to help him be more aggressive

Yeah, just like it's ridiculous to read too much into Trae Young's first few SL games, I'm not going to go all in on Frank after one SL game. There's a lot at play. Chemeistry after a short practice stint, getting acclimated to game speed, etc. I wanted to see him shoot more, but I can get make verdict one or the other.
Personally i have never been a fan of trae young. Kid can score but has poor shot selection and cant defend at all. As for Frank i agree he needs to be more aggressive on offense no question but he is still very young so it may just take some time. Given our rebuilding situation we can afford to be patient with all our kids and let them play through mistakes
CrushAlot
USA
7/8/2018  11:46 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Except his game on offense looked just like last year when he ran the point. There is a body of work there. Frank got 22 minutes a night at the point last year until he was moved off the ball for the last dozen games.
knicks1248
Member: #582
7/8/2018  12:11 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Personally i have never been a fan of trae young. Kid can score but has poor shot selection and cant defend at all. As for Frank i agree he needs to be more aggressive on offense no question but he is still very young so it may just take some time. Given our rebuilding situation we can afford to be patient with all our kids and let them play through mistakes

Like FIZ said let him be who he is and stop fantasizing about him being this aggressive player who's going to take it to the hole.

Frank may not be a good fit for this system, doesn't mean he's not a solid player, but he is not high pace player by any stretch. I think he would be perfect for the spurs.

we now have KP, Robinson, THJ, Dotson, Knox, Williams, these are high flying athletic speed players, and frank walks the ball up court every damn time and then gives up as soon as he passes half court.

The other thing that may help is having other guards who constantly push the pace so he can see that everyday.

ES
LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

7/8/2018  12:24 PM
Frank really set the tone defensively right from the start...very smart & solid defender.

It was a poor game offensively...what bothers me with Frankie is when he doesn’t at least push it up quickly...but half jogs up.

I think Frank will be a Nate McMillan / George Hill type player for us...hopefully at th point and I think he could be better offensively than both those comps.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/8/2018  1:06 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Like FIZ said let him be who he is and stop fantasizing about him being this aggressive player who's going to take it to the hole.

Frank may not be a good fit for this system, doesn't mean he's not a solid player, but he is not high pace player by any stretch. I think he would be perfect for the spurs.

we now have KP, Robinson, THJ, Dotson, Knox, Williams, these are high flying athletic speed players, and frank walks the ball up court every damn time and then gives up as soon as he passes half court.

The other thing that may help is having other guards who constantly push the pace so he can see that everyday.

So basically your trying to coach Frank?
He either does not listen to his coaches or you know better.

knicks1248
Member: #582
7/8/2018  2:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/8/2018  2:37 PM
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

He just plays how he's comfortable playing, If you want a PG who can get up and down and put pressure on defenses, that's who you draft or trade for or sign. If your system is a slow down, methodical, PnR that has a bunch of scorers on it, than franks your man

You don't draft Iverson and force him to play like stockton

ES
Rookie
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #2274

7/8/2018  2:44 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

He just plays how he's comfortable playing, If you want a PG who can get up and down and put pressure on defenses, that's who you draft or trade for or sign. If your system is a slow down, methodical, PnR that has a bunch of scorers on it, than franks your man

How do you draw that conclusion from one SL game with a very simple motion offensive scheme from the coaching staff? Way to soon man, way to soon.r

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/8/2018  2:44 PM
Who said he is PG? Fizz or you?
CrushAlot
USA
7/8/2018  2:55 PM
Rookie wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
Nalod wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

How do you draw that conclusion from one SL game with a very simple motion offensive scheme from the coaching staff? Way to soon man, way to soon.r

He played point guard 22 minutes a night all last season. Last night's game isn't the first time he has struggled on offense. He also isn't the youngest guy, has a year under his belt, has received NBA coaching, and was playing against rookies and guys that probably aren't in the league this fall. He doesn't put pressure on the defense at all. To me, he still looks like a player that should not receive many minutes at the point.
Re watched the game to focus on Frank

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy