[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How about trading for Melo’s expiring contract?
Author Thread
fitzfarm
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3285

7/3/2018  5:45 PM
dwiley20 wrote:keep Hardaway!!!! yall sleep

+ 100 before his injury and after his early season mini slump Mills was looking like a genius. Hardaway was playing like a borderline all star at only 17 mil a year. His leg injury was nasty he could/should have sat out the rest of the season.

I’m a huge Hardaway fan! Fiz will make him d up, last year you could watch the whole team give up on horny esp on defense. Hardaway flourishes with good bigs around him like KP. He has to stay healthy so he can keep attacking the basket like he can, he’s coming into his prime years, thjr is someone you will regret trading/giving up on.

AUTOADVERT
TLover
Member: #381
USA
7/3/2018  6:33 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
dwiley20 wrote:keep Hardaway!!!! yall sleep

+ 100 before his injury and after his early season mini slump Mills was looking like a genius. Hardaway was playing like a borderline all star at only 17 mil a year. His leg injury was nasty he could/should have sat out the rest of the season.

I’m a huge Hardaway fan! Fiz will make him d up, last year you could watch the whole team give up on horny esp on defense. Hardaway flourishes with good bigs around him like KP. He has to stay healthy so he can keep attacking the basket like he can, he’s coming into his prime years, thjr is someone you will regret trading/giving up on.

I like Timmy but I like cap space and our young players better.

Looks like Lee will be moved and THJR will hopefully stay healthy and have a big year (either to trade at the deadline or help with a playoff run)

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/3/2018  6:41 PM
Watched a clip of the party at Westbrook's where PG announced his return. Interesting that there was no sign of Melo. Was he even invited? If he wasnt, sounds like a hint to me.
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/3/2018  6:56 PM
CTKnicksfan wrote:Gave this one some thought - due to OKC's tax situation reducing that bill is paramount for them, but I assume they'd prefer to keep adding to the team as well after laying out all that cash for George and Grant.

THJr is a non-starter, too much money and too many years. I think a trade could be engineered to provide OKC with significant tax savings though, along the lines of the following:

Courtney Lee - $12,253,780
Lance Thomas - $7,119,650
Ron Baker - $4,544,000
Troy Williams - $1,544,951

Total Outgoing: $25,246,381 (with the 125% rule, the Knicks can take back a maximum of $31,557,976)

For

Melo - $27,928,140
T.Ferguson -$2,118,840
Dakari Johnson - $1,378,242

Total Incoming: $31,425,222

(I tried to make it work without Williams and Johnson at first, but it was just barely over the 125% rule, so swapping Williams and Johnson is needed to make it a legal trade.)

The exchange by itself saves the Thunder 6.2 million. Additionally, I would expect them to waive/stretch Lance Thomas and Ron Baker for additional savings. Lance's contract is good for this since he technically has 2 years left, but the second year is only guaranteed $1 mil. So his remaining guaranteed $(8.12m) can be stretched over 5 years at a cap hit of only 1.63m. Ron Baker's contract stretched over 3 years would be 1.52 mil cap hit.

So the final exchange if this worked would look something like this from OKC's standpoint -

31.4m outgoing, 16.9m incoming (Lee's 12.25m + Williams 1.5 + 3.15 in 'dead money' from the stretched LT/Baker contracts) - That's a 14.5m savings for the Thunder, which is huge given where they are tax-wise. Comparatively, just stretching Melo's last year out over 3 saves them 18.6m this year, while adding nothing to their team and leaves them with a 9.3m dead money hit in years 2 and 3 for the stretch. In exchange for a little less savings they get a very useful role player in Courtney Lee for their quasi-contender. The dead money is only 3.15 mil for the first 3 years and 1.63 mil for 2 years after that. I expect they'll waive and stretch Singler as well (like LT, his can be stretched over 5 years) to save even more on their tax bill. All this trade costs them is T.Ferg and a swap of end of the bench players. I think this passes the 'mirror test' from OKC's standpoint.

For the Knicks, they get another young piece in T.Ferg on a rookie deal and generate 11 million in additional 2019 cap space. Melo would be waived immediately and free to sign with the Lakers or Rockets so there would be no reason for him to invoke his NTC.

Edit: Forgot to include T. Willams' salary in the exchange, now corrected.

Well thought out. Good job!

Passes Mirror Test.

smackeddog
Member: #883
7/4/2018  3:30 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Watched a clip of the party at Westbrook's where PG announced his return. Interesting that there was no sign of Melo. Was he even invited? If he wasnt, sounds like a hint to me.

Also its been said PG likes playing with Westbrook but he's never mentioned enjoying playing with Melo. Melo was a real a****** at the end of the season with his comments, declaring he'd sacrificed enough and wasn't accepting a bench role- showed where his priorities are. He could have a productive couple of years in the league if he just accepted becoming a sixth man, but all he cares about is starting for ego purposes when he clearly is no longer good enough to start.

Likely they buy him out and he joins the Lakers as their starting PF (now Randle has gone).

TripleThreat
Member: #3997

7/4/2018  9:48 AM
GustavBahler wrote:Watched a clip of the party at Westbrook's where PG announced his return. Interesting that there was no sign of Melo. Was he even invited? If he wasnt, sounds like a hint to me.

It's considered bad form in pro sports to engage in any event where your contract issues might detract from the point of the event, if it's focused on someone else's situation with the team.

In civilian terms, it's like a female guest at a wedding wearing a white dress. No female is supposed to wear white except the bride ( except maybe children or ancient ladies who can't remember their own names) In MLB, the Yankees resigned ARod, but the announcement came during the World Series, which was considered an informal No-No.

One of the reasons Ray Allen struggled to find another contract at the very end of his career is he made it a point, only a few times in public, but many times in not so private, to talk about other players and other teams and their contracts.

Right before James Harden was traded from the OKC Thunder, Westbrook was ambushed several times in the open press - "Do you think James Harden is a max contract player?"

Paul George was going to get lobbed that kind of question on a day where no one is going to want to talk about that.

I put a lot on Melo for how he plays, but this is just sort of a social thing where there is not really an ideal outcome for anyone. He'll lose if he shows up, he'll lose less if he doesn't.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/4/2018  10:23 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

It's considered bad form in pro sports to engage in any event where your contract issues might detract from the point of the event, if it's focused on someone else's situation with the team.

In civilian terms, it's like a female guest at a wedding wearing a white dress. No female is supposed to wear white except the bride ( except maybe children or ancient ladies who can't remember their own names) In MLB, the Yankees resigned ARod, but the announcement came during the World Series, which was considered an informal No-No.

One of the reasons Ray Allen struggled to find another contract at the very end of his career is he made it a point, only a few times in public, but many times in not so private, to talk about other players and other teams and their contracts.

Right before James Harden was traded from the OKC Thunder, Westbrook was ambushed several times in the open press - "Do you think James Harden is a max contract player?"

Paul George was going to get lobbed that kind of question on a day where no one is going to want to talk about that.

I put a lot on Melo for how he plays, but this is just sort of a social thing where there is not really an ideal outcome for anyone. He'll lose if he shows up, he'll lose less if he doesn't.

Quite an imagination there...

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/10/2018  3:29 PM
CTKnicksfan wrote:Gave this one some thought - due to OKC's tax situation reducing that bill is paramount for them, but I assume they'd prefer to keep adding to the team as well after laying out all that cash for George and Grant.

THJr is a non-starter, too much money and too many years. I think a trade could be engineered to provide OKC with significant tax savings though, along the lines of the following:

Courtney Lee - $12,253,780
Lance Thomas - $7,119,650
Ron Baker - $4,544,000
Troy Williams - $1,544,951

Total Outgoing: $25,246,381 (with the 125% rule, the Knicks can take back a maximum of $31,557,976)

For

Melo - $27,928,140
T.Ferguson -$2,118,840
Dakari Johnson - $1,378,242

Total Incoming: $31,425,222

(I tried to make it work without Williams and Johnson at first, but it was just barely over the 125% rule, so swapping Williams and Johnson is needed to make it a legal trade.)

The exchange by itself saves the Thunder 6.2 million. Additionally, I would expect them to waive/stretch Lance Thomas and Ron Baker for additional savings. Lance's contract is good for this since he technically has 2 years left, but the second year is only guaranteed $1 mil. So his remaining guaranteed $(8.12m) can be stretched over 5 years at a cap hit of only 1.63m. Ron Baker's contract stretched over 3 years would be 1.52 mil cap hit.

So the final exchange if this worked would look something like this from OKC's standpoint -

31.4m outgoing, 16.9m incoming (Lee's 12.25m + Williams 1.5 + 3.15 in 'dead money' from the stretched LT/Baker contracts) - That's a 14.5m savings for the Thunder, which is huge given where they are tax-wise. Comparatively, just stretching Melo's last year out over 3 saves them 18.6m this year, while adding nothing to their team and leaves them with a 9.3m dead money hit in years 2 and 3 for the stretch. In exchange for a little less savings they get a very useful role player in Courtney Lee for their quasi-contender. The dead money is only 3.15 mil for the first 3 years and 1.63 mil for 2 years after that. I expect they'll waive and stretch Singler as well (like LT, his can be stretched over 5 years) to save even more on their tax bill. All this trade costs them is T.Ferg and a swap of end of the bench players. I think this passes the 'mirror test' from OKC's standpoint.

For the Knicks, they get another young piece in T.Ferg on a rookie deal and generate 11 million in additional 2019 cap space. Melo would be waived immediately and free to sign with the Lakers or Rockets so there would be no reason for him to invoke his NTC.

Edit: Forgot to include T. Willams' salary in the exchange, now corrected.

Melo has waived his not trade clause to facilitate this type of thing for the Thunder.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/10/2018  4:18 PM
Not sure how that works because OKC has to shed salary as they are looking at a massive tax bill. Massive.
So to trade it, they have to take back. THat means they still on the hook for it.
For a team to receive melo, they have to then buy him out? Whats the angle to save?
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/10/2018  4:29 PM
Nalod wrote:Not sure how that works because OKC has to shed salary as they are looking at a massive tax bill. Massive.
So to trade it, they have to take back. THat means they still on the hook for it.
For a team to receive melo, they have to then buy him out? Whats the angle to save?

I think salaries just have to be within something like 25%, so they could take back a contract that’s more years but a lesser annual amount so when they stretch the tax hit is lower- that’s why I proposed the Noah and Lee for melo, abrines and singler

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
7/10/2018  4:33 PM
Imagine the post counts though! The ad clicks alone on here would make having Melodrama back for a throw away year worth it for the UK management.

Kevin Knox, HOF'r. LOL. He already shoots 37% and doesn't play defense. Melo can't teach him much of anything. Maybe stupid hat tricks. LMAO

TLover
USA
7/11/2018  12:06 AM
Saw Scott Perry texting during game tonight. Could be working on a deal with OKC. We send C.Lee, L.Thomas (expiring non-guaranteed) & Baker (expiring) for Melo (who will be bought out) & rights to 2nd rounder Hamidou Diallo.

At the end Knicks free up roster spots, 2019 cap space, & get
super athletic ny kid to develop.

OKC gets the perfect player they need at a reasonable contract. They can cut LT & Baker

CrushAlot
USA
7/11/2018  12:11 AM
Nalod wrote:Not sure how that works because OKC has to shed salary as they are looking at a massive tax bill. Massive.

CTKnicksfan explains it really well saving a ton of money while becoming more competitive would appear to be desirable to okc after commuting to grant, Felton, and PG.
CrushAlot
USA
7/18/2018  12:48 PM
Has Mitch ever broken a trade?
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

7/18/2018  5:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/18/2018  5:47 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Has Mitch ever broken a trade?

Seems odd. Why would OKC want a PG? Back up? Felton did a decent job for them last year. Grant it , Schroder is an upgrade but $15M through 21 for a back up?

Maybe we can sabotage this deal by offering Noah? lol. But seriously, what about Lee and Timmy? They need SG's. Funny if it went full circle and we ended up waiving Melo.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/18/2018  6:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/18/2018  7:17 PM
Nalod wrote:The assumption is Hardaway is not good?
Or not worth the 17mil?
Or that his lone season is the high water mark of his career?
Or that Fiz can better utilize him?
Or that Fiz can help his game?
Or that THjr is part of the problem, not the solution?
We doing what fans do, dream that free agency will be great for us.

I assume Mills ridiculous signing killed our chance at a super team. We would get 2 max free agents had we not left him without a babysitter for a few weeks

What could of been

Porzingis
Knox
Durant
Frank
Kyrie

Mitchell Robinson
Burke
1st round 2019
Dotson

Noah stretched
Lee traded with 2019 2nd rounder

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/18/2018  7:30 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
Or not worth the 17mil?

I assume Mills ridiculous signing killed our chance at a super team. We would get 2 max free agents had we not left him without a babysitter for a few weeks

What could of been

Porzingis
Knox
Durant
Frank
Kyrie

Mitchell Robinson
Burke
1st round 2019
Dotson

Noah stretched

Hahahaha

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
TLover
USA
7/19/2018  8:14 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
Or not worth the 17mil?

What could of been

Porzingis
Knox
Durant
Frank
Kyrie

Mitchell Robinson
Burke
1st round 2019
Dotson

Noah stretched

Lol so true! I have a problem giving that kind of $ to a streaky shooter who is not a great defender.
It seemed Mills signed him so he can have his only draft pick back. Hopefully that was the last act of foolishness by this franchise.

How about trading for Melo’s expiring contract?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy