Hezonja a Knick
Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

7/2/2018  3:40 PM
Welpee wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Ira wrote:I'm not as excited as most on this board by this signing. He's a pretty good offensive player and a below average defensive player, but is young and can still improve. I haven't seen much of him, but he's considered a good athlete who, like Knox, can play the 3 and 4 spots. The money isn't high and, if he doesn't work out, he won't interfere with our cap space when it matters.

this kind of sums up my feelings too. Does he fit the two-way player mold we talked about. Will he even be better than McBuckets who got similar money albeit for more years

I will hope for the best but it looks like we're doing more gambling with high picks who couldn't get it down, than developing players who no one knew about or forgot (what Miami was doing)

We are hopefully gambling on young players with high ceilings who were given up on by their original teams prematurely. Besides Whiteside, who are all of these unknown guys Miami had success with?

tyler Johnson, james Johnson, josh Richardson, on current roster off the top of my head. All gritty and play D

Believe me I hope i'm wrong but i am just not feeling this FO at the moment. They talk a good game but I think if you took their picks and trades and glued the best parts of each into one Frankenstein you wouldn't end up with the player they're describing they want a team of (along with every other team on the planet)

Orlando and the Kings are not exactly pedigree. Think of all their top picks that have underwhelmed. Kings obviously didn't think he was a magic man from his short stint

(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
7/2/2018  4:49 PM
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Ira wrote:I'm not as excited as most on this board by this signing. He's a pretty good offensive player and a below average defensive player, but is young and can still improve. I haven't seen much of him, but he's considered a good athlete who, like Knox, can play the 3 and 4 spots. The money isn't high and, if he doesn't work out, he won't interfere with our cap space when it matters.

this kind of sums up my feelings too. Does he fit the two-way player mold we talked about. Will he even be better than McBuckets who got similar money albeit for more years

I will hope for the best but it looks like we're doing more gambling with high picks who couldn't get it down, than developing players who no one knew about or forgot (what Miami was doing)

We are hopefully gambling on young players with high ceilings who were given up on by their original teams prematurely. Besides Whiteside, who are all of these unknown guys Miami had success with?

tyler Johnson, james Johnson, josh Richardson, on current roster off the top of my head. All gritty and play D

Believe me I hope i'm wrong but i am just not feeling this FO at the moment. They talk a good game but I think if you took their picks and trades and glued the best parts of each into one Frankenstein you wouldn't end up with the player they're describing they want a team of (along with every other team on the planet)

Orlando and the Kings are not exactly pedigree. Think of all their top picks that have underwhelmed. Kings obviously didn't think he was a magic man from his short stint

We got KOQ from Orlando and look how he blossomed. This hezonja pick is just a flyer. If he looks good, then we have the inside track to resign him, even without his bird rights. If he looks average, then at least we don't have to force Knox to play heavy minutes before he is ready. The only thing the Knicks need to really do this summer is trade Lee's contract to create more cap space next summer and find more young players to develop.

Trust the Process
Welpee
Member: #6239

7/2/2018  4:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2018  7:06 PM
TheGame wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Chandler wrote:

We got KOQ from Orlando and look how he blossomed. This hezonja pick is just a flyer. If he looks good, then we have the inside track to resign him, even without his bird rights. If he looks average, then at least we don't have to force Knox to play heavy minutes before he is ready. The only thing the Knicks need to really do this summer is trade Lee's contract to create more cap space next summer and find more young players to develop.

Agreed. I honestly don't see much downside to what we've done so far.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/2/2018  5:10 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Was dissapointed when Mcdermott was traded. I like having shooters in this league. But its clear the Knicks knew they would have to commit to multi year deal to keep him. So they got something in return that fits time frame.
I like Herz. (Another guy that can shoot) Think the change of scenery may help. Another iternational player that will help create chemistry with our other international players.

The problem is McD did not shoot the ball well. He went into huge slumps.

Welpee

7/2/2018  7:07 PM
Knixkik wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Was dissapointed when Mcdermott was traded. I like having shooters in this league. But its clear the Knicks knew they would have to commit to multi year deal to keep him. So they got something in return that fits time frame.
I like Herz. (Another guy that can shoot) Think the change of scenery may help. Another iternational player that will help create chemistry with our other international players.

Perfect example of how stats can be deceiving. His shooting percentage on paper and what I saw in games did not line up.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

7/2/2018  7:35 PM
Welpee wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Perfect example of how stats can be deceiving. His shooting percentage on paper and what I saw in games did not line up.

Huh? Are you saying the stats are wrong? Or is it simply that you didn't watch every game? At the end of the day he either shot x% from the floor or he didn't. Where's the deception in that?

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
Welpee

7/2/2018  8:15 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/2/2018  8:16 PM
meloshouldgo wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Huh? Are you saying the stats are wrong? Or is it simply that you didn't watch every game? At the end of the day he either shot x% from the floor or he didn't. Where's the deception in that?

Of course I'm not saying the stats are wrong. But he just never seemed to hit many threes when we really needed them. I don't know what the splits indicate, but if his percentages were the result of hitting a lot of meaningless threes it can make a difference. I do know his percentages in Dallas were significantly better than when he was here.
Knixkik
USA
7/2/2018  8:33 PM
Welpee wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Of course I'm not saying the stats are wrong. But he just never seemed to hit many threes when we really needed them. I don't know what the splits indicate, but if his percentages were the result of hitting a lot of meaningless threes it can make a difference. I do know his percentages in Dallas were significantly better than when he was here.

He started the season hot then went thru a major slump starting in January. Then he stopped shooting threes for the most part. What happened to him shouldn’t happen to nba players who are known for being elite shooters.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/2/2018  10:08 PM
https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2018/7/2/17528772/nba-free-agency-2018-mario-hezonja-orlando-magic
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
7/2/2018  10:50 PM
Sometimes players need a change of scenery, maybe he needs to be shown some love. I hope he blossoms here, and if he doesn't the downside risk is minimal. Upside is minimal too since we don't have him on an extended contract, but if he bonds with the coaching staff and the players, we should be able to resign him - hopefully on a team friendly deal.
Rose is not the answer.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/2/2018  11:05 PM
Perry has done a very good job of getting talented young guys that still have upside. Hezonja is a guy that could be ready to breakout! These low cost looks are the right moves for a rebuild where we didn’t have all the picks other teams have had.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/3/2018  11:10 AM
From Berman:

He’s very good when he has the ball in his hands and is looking to make plays,’’ an NBA scout said. “He was always looked at in Orlando as a knockdown shooter, but he actually hasn’t been a good enough shooter. He’s never made a high percentage — even in Spain [37 percent]. His best talent is his passing ability, excellent vision, excellent in pick-and-roll, but he will throw a pass or two away.”

Another NBA talent evaluator said he’s getting there.

“I have doubts about his defense and his quickness — but he’s tough and strong, and a really good shooter and improving as a finisher,’’ the talent evaluator said. “It took him a long time to adjust to the NBA but he’s just about there.’’

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

7/3/2018  11:28 AM
Dougie really disappointed me -- he was basically given a great opportunity in a non pressure situation and he appeared to choke on a # of shots --- really rushing his shot often.

Dougie moved really well, defended better than advertised and I liked him but he was like an MLB batter who gets hot for 2 weeks than cold for 3 months and at end of season his % don't look so bad but something was missing.

Knixkik
USA
7/3/2018  11:34 AM
nixluva wrote:Perry has done a very good job of getting talented young guys that still have upside. Hezonja is a guy that could be ready to breakout! These low cost looks are the right moves for a rebuild where we didn’t have all the picks other teams have had.

Yeah i have heard of it referred to as the second draft. Get guys who have been given up on or who fall thru the cracks and are still only 22-24 years old. We have done that with Mudiay, Hezonja, and Burke recently. Most won't pan out, but a couple will.

Mike1989
Member: #8627

7/4/2018  4:40 PM
I did this breakdown for another place, but thought I'd post it here to show how Hezonja played per position last season:

Starting PF
- 13 starts, 30 mpg, 82/165 FG, .496 FG%, 28/71 3P, .394 3P%, 5.5 TRB, 1.7 APG, 14.9 PPG
Bench PF
- 20 games, 20.4 mpg, 71/164 FG, .432 FG%, 21/62 3P, .338 3P%, 3.2 TRB, 1.05 APG, 9.1 PPG

Starting SF
- 14 starts, 28.3 mpg, 59/142 FG, .415 FG%, 22/61 3P, .360 3P%, 5.8 TRB, 2.2 APG, 11.71 PPG
Bench SF
- 21 games, 10.2 mpg, 33/75 FG, .444 FG%, 19/52 3P, .365 3P%, 1.6 TRB, 0.8 APG, 3.73 PPG

Starting SG
- 3 starts, 28.3 mpg, 15/32 FG, .468 FG%, 6/11 3P, .545 3P%, 5.6 TRB, 3.6 APG, 14 PPG
Bench SG
- 4 games, 28 mpg, 13/39 FG, .333 FG%, 4/22 3P, .181 3P%., 3.25 TRB, 0.25 APG, 10.25 PPG

Interestingly his shooting percentages are not substantially different whether he started or came off the bench at SF or PF, but they are substantially different when he played shooting guard especially when you factor in his 3 point shooting.

As it stands I think starting him as an undersized stretch four with Knox playing small forward could be an option for us next season.

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

7/5/2018  12:40 AM
Welpee wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Welpee wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:Well, this might be the first move of Mills-Perry that I liked. With some floor-spacing around him, I think Hezonja might pleasantly surprise many. I just hope they don't waste this opportunity and understand that Hezonja is a 4 and not a 2.

Personally I think Perry has been EXCELLENT since coming on board. He's totally upgraded the teams youth and athleticism. This is a completely different vibe since this new regime has taken over. Smarter moves and more Front Office synergy. I like it all. The drafts and acquisitions that Perry has made are all moving in the right direction. He's not even done yet.

You think everything the Knicks do is "EXCELLENT", ever since I joined this board. I don't mean to be rude but it's clear you're biased to the point where you can't be objective. As a fan, I always find myself hoping you'd be right but I doubt it will happen with this front office.

I will say that I find myself liking the image/reasoning of the Fizdale hire. He's really the only thing about Perry-Mills that I have a more positive opinion of. But there is too little a track record to even be sure if Fizdale's hype is justified.

I don’t understand you’re take here. It’s not about my views of past GM moves. I was specifically commenting on PERRY’S moves since coming on board. You don’t have to bring up anything else in order to assess the job he’s done. Have his moves been mostly good, neutral or bad for the team?

Just looking at the moves starting with the Melo Trade I think Perry has made some pretty solid moves! Took flyers on some young players that fit the criteria of the stated goals. Hired a good Coach. Drafted players with high potential. The team is younger, longer and more athletic than it was when he took over. We of course will have to wait to see how these players develop but judging the INITIAL choices it’s hard to find fault.

Time will tell but I agree, I like what Perry has done so far. Knicks fans are always after the homerun. You need to few singles and walks first to set up the grand slam.

What "singles" has Perry gotten us? Jarrett Jack? Michael Beasley?

Those players were career journeymen in their prime, let alone now. They played well for us last year but Knick fans being attached to them is reflective of just how talent-starved this franchise has been the past 18 years. I guess even a dog****-sandwich would seem appealing if starving.

How many times are you going to use that line? Perry has been on board for what, almost one year. We'll see how Mudiay, Knox, Robinson and Hezonja work out. He brought Kanter here. He got Trey Burke here. He pulled the trigger getting rid of Hornacek and signed Fizdale. None of these moves are homeruns (as far as we know at this point) but they're moves in the right direction. We'll see how things pan out. Unloading Melo for worthwhile assets and not screwing up our cap (i.e. getting Ryan Anderson), was a significant victory. If nothing else, he's transforming our roster towards improved youth and athleticism. Sorry if you want to continue with quick fixes and no patience.

I wasn't aware of the fact that I used the line before (pretty sure I haven't). I'm also not sure why you felt the need to rehash the moves this franchise made last year but I'm well aware of what was done. None of it has impressed me as anything beyond piecemeal or serves as any kind of demonstration that this franchise is competent. I've lived in multiple market places and have had the opportunity to familiarize myself with how other franchises operate (e.g. Hinkie's Sixers, the Celtics, Eddie Jordan's Wizards, Budenholzer's Hawks and Thibodeou's Bulls), so it's hard for me to sit around and be giddy about re-threads like Trey Burke and his ilk because those teams have had far better to work with. But the simple fact that you are crediting a "significant victory" to this front office for "not screwing up our cap" is a telltale sign of how low the bar is for you and how mediocre an operation this is.

Also, I don't think you're familiar with my general stance about the Knicks. I've never advocated for "quick fixes" and have continually lobbied for the team to build through the draft, while maintaining as much cap flexibility as possible, in perpetuity, until a true superstar becomes available. One of the major reasons why I'm skeptical of this front office, is due to the subtle hints they've given that suggest they think this "rebuild" can be something accelerated and completed by the start of the 2019-2020 season. For one, Steve Mills signed Tim Hardaway Jr to that ridiculous contract that no other team was offering. Second, them trying to preserve/create "max" cap space for 2019 suggests they believe that the signing of one player can fix this mess. Newsflash: they can't because no 2019 free agent has that kind of talent. Kyrie Irving (the rumored target) is nothing but gilded-gold and if we sign him, it'll set this franchise back for another 3-5 seasons with his empty calorie and piss-poor health. So spare me your condescension.

NardDogNation

7/5/2018  12:46 AM
martin wrote:
Welpee wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Welpee wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
nixluva wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:Well, this might be the first move of Mills-Perry that I liked. With some floor-spacing around him, I think Hezonja might pleasantly surprise many. I just hope they don't waste this opportunity and understand that Hezonja is a 4 and not a 2.

Personally I think Perry has been EXCELLENT since coming on board. He's totally upgraded the teams youth and athleticism. This is a completely different vibe since this new regime has taken over. Smarter moves and more Front Office synergy. I like it all. The drafts and acquisitions that Perry has made are all moving in the right direction. He's not even done yet.

You think everything the Knicks do is "EXCELLENT", ever since I joined this board. I don't mean to be rude but it's clear you're biased to the point where you can't be objective. As a fan, I always find myself hoping you'd be right but I doubt it will happen with this front office.

I will say that I find myself liking the image/reasoning of the Fizdale hire. He's really the only thing about Perry-Mills that I have a more positive opinion of. But there is too little a track record to even be sure if Fizdale's hype is justified.

I don’t understand you’re take here. It’s not about my views of past GM moves. I was specifically commenting on PERRY’S moves since coming on board. You don’t have to bring up anything else in order to assess the job he’s done. Have his moves been mostly good, neutral or bad for the team?

Just looking at the moves starting with the Melo Trade I think Perry has made some pretty solid moves! Took flyers on some young players that fit the criteria of the stated goals. Hired a good Coach. Drafted players with high potential. The team is younger, longer and more athletic than it was when he took over. We of course will have to wait to see how these players develop but judging the INITIAL choices it’s hard to find fault.

Time will tell but I agree, I like what Perry has done so far. Knicks fans are always after the homerun. You need to few singles and walks first to set up the grand slam.

What "singles" has Perry gotten us? Jarrett Jack? Michael Beasley?

Those players were career journeymen in their prime, let alone now. They played well for us last year but Knick fans being attached to them is reflective of just how talent-starved this franchise has been the past 18 years. I guess even a dog****-sandwich would seem appealing if starving.

How many times are you going to use that line? Perry has been on board for what, almost one year. We'll see how Mudiay, Knox, Robinson and Hezonja work out. He brought Kanter here. He got Trey Burke here. He pulled the trigger getting rid of Hornacek and signed Fizdale. None of these moves are homeruns (as far as we know at this point) but they're moves in the right direction. We'll see how things pan out. Unloading Melo for worthwhile assets and not screwing up our cap (i.e. getting Ryan Anderson), was a significant victory. If nothing else, he's transforming our roster towards improved youth and athleticism. Sorry if you want to continue with quick fixes and no patience.

+1000. Also Troy Williams.

NardDogNation is quite the negative Nancy with blinders on.

Some might call my position negative. Others might characterize it as being a realist. Our franchise has a 40.6% win percentage over the past 17 seasons under 6 different front offices and scores of coaches all pedaling the same story. During that stretch, we've only had 4 playoff appearances and just 3 seasons with records above .500. I suppose this time will be different though.

NardDogNation

7/5/2018  12:51 AM
Welpee wrote:
Chandler wrote:

Josh Richardson, Tyler Johnson, Rodney McGruder, Dion Waiters and to lesser extents James Johnson and Wayne Ellington. Heat University is real. The entire roster is almost entirely comprised of second round picks and undrafted players that all earned themselves multi-year deals. How much credit we should give to Fizdale for that? I don't know. It takes a village (for success) but there hasn't been many franchises with the track record for producing value like the Heat. So maybe Fizdale can bring some of that to the Knicks.

reub
Member: #6227

7/5/2018  11:24 AM
LivingLegend wrote:Dougie really disappointed me -- he was basically given a great opportunity in a non pressure situation and he appeared to choke on a # of shots --- really rushing his shot often.

Dougie moved really well, defended better than advertised and I liked him but he was like an MLB batter who gets hot for 2 weeks than cold for 3 months and at end of season his % don't look so bad but something was missing.

We turned Dougie into Lance Thomas.

Welpee

7/5/2018  1:39 PM
LivingLegend wrote:Dougie really disappointed me -- he was basically given a great opportunity in a non pressure situation and he appeared to choke on a # of shots --- really rushing his shot often.

You articulated my thoughts much better than I did earlier. His numbers just seemed a lot more impressive than his actual play on the court.
Hezonja a Knick

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy