[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks drafted the 10th and 11th Best prospects according to ESPN...
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/26/2018  3:09 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Markji wrote:Interesting.....the 2017 HS player rankings and now how they were drafted after 1 year in college. In this list they left off Bagley who was #1 on a number of polls and MPJr #2. Almost all of the lottery picks in the recent draft were in the top rankings in their HS class.
Comparing Porter with Mitchell Robinson - they both basically took off their freshman year in college and didn't play basketball. (Yes, it was for different reasons and I know Porter played 2 games hurt). Since most or all of the players listed before Robinson (1 to 7 + Bagley) have done well in college and are projected to do well in the NBA, I see no reason why Robinson also can't turn out to be a very good player. The Knicks made a very astute pick with Robinson at #36. A very good gamble on a player who could/should become a starter in the NBA.

USA TODAY Sports' 2017 Composite Boys Basketball Player Recruiting rankings
http://usatodayhss.com/2017/usa-today-sports-2017-composite-boys-basketball-player-recruiting-rankings

Rank Player
1 Michael Porter Jr.
2 Mohamed Bamba
3 DeAndre Ayton
T4 Wendell Carter Jr.
T4 Trevon Duval
T4 Collin Sexton
7 Jaren Jackson
8 Mitchell Robinson
9 Kevin Knox
10 Troy Brown Jr.
11 Jarred Vanderbilt
12 Brandon McCoy
13 P.J. Washington
14 Lonnie Walker
15 Gary Trent Jr.
16 Nick Richards
17 Brian Bowen
18 Billy Preston
19 Kris Wilkes
20 Jaylen Hands
21 Trae Young
22 Quade Green
23 Malik Williams
24 M.J. Walker
25 Nick Weatherspoon
26 Jalek Felton
T27 John Petty
T27 Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
29 Paul Scruggs
30 Lindell Wigginton

Wow just hit me Trevon Duval didn't get drafted. Signed a Summer League deal with the Rockets, He is worth a gamble.

Bagley reclassified and that might be the reason he isn't listed.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
6/26/2018  4:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/26/2018  4:51 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Disrespecting kids for their life choices doesnt really get into the spirit of things. Not when they're about to join the team.

From what I'm hearing around the league, promises were made that Robinson would attend and participate in the NBA Combine. Also apparently some people put their reps on the line to help him try to smooth out some of the issues from Western Kentucky, and deeper, from New Orleans. Not attending essentially burned those people.

I recognize it is a strategy at times to not participate in the Combine if you've got a back channel situation with a franchise already worked out in advance, but this was more akin to impulsive/irresponsible/out of touch.

The college thing is obviously a problem. Not attending the Combine was a much larger issue and started to establish a pattern of behavior.

Players who do miss the Combine typically don't have to answer for a situation like Western Kentucky. I mean the kid went AWOL. I don't care what was said in the open press, the kid went completely AWOL.

Argue all your wish if the Western Kentucky situation was overblown or good or bad or whatever. BUT NOT ATTENDING THE COMBINE MAKES NO SENSE. Again, I don't care what reasoning is given or what is said in the open press about it, it literally makes no sense at all if Robinson was committed first and foremost to being an NBA player........

Mitchell Robinson skipped the NBA Combine. That was just infinitely dumb. You can argue if anyone else is disrespecting him, but the end, the person who disrespected Robinson the most and his career aspirations was Robinson himself. 90 percent of everything in life is just about showing up in the first place.

Triple Threat - all that you say about Robinson is true. That is the bad news.
The good news is that because of all that, he fell to us at #36 pick. If he had attended W KY and/or the combine, we wouldn't have had the chance to draft him. He would have been picked earlier. It was a high risk; high reward choice made by the Knicks mgmt.

So now it is up to the Knicks coaches and mgmt to work with Robinson and bring him along as a mature adult and a first string basketball player. For me, I will cut the kid some slack. Root for him. Watch his development over the 2018-19 season and evaluate then. And hope for his sake as well as for the Knicks and us here on the forum, that he does well.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

6/26/2018  7:07 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
Panos wrote:What is this list? Why does it say 2017?

because it was before the college season, the last one had Knox at 14, and Robinson at 21.

Robinson is really talented but what concerns me is good teams like the Celtics and Warriors passed on him. He seems much younger mentally than 18 from what I've seen. I'm not sure how the rest of the team will respond to him

Celtics passed on him because Robert Williams dropped to them and GSW probably already knows that they're gonna sign Dwight Howard after his buyout from the Nets.

Kind of my point, side by side Mitchell is the more impressive prospect. However it is possible the Celtics thought Williams could impact the team right away and Mitchell is 2 or 3 years away from impacting a team.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

6/26/2018  12:56 PM
I'd also like to hear his explanation why he didn't attend. Completely unfair guess but I'm wondering if there are some anxiety issues or the like. He wouldn't be the first to suffer from debilitating issues. Perhaps that's why he wanted his uncle or whatever around. Also the spotlight of the combine might be crippling. Obviously not hoping this is the issue, but there are some warning signs.

In other news Williams slept through his scheduled introductory press conference. Perhaps Celts are similarly asking themselves how did Williams slide to them

(5)(5)
Knicks drafted the 10th and 11th Best prospects according to ESPN...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy