[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kinda wish Fizdale would shut up a bit... but here are some telling direct quotes on Knox
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/22/2018  4:34 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/06/22/david-fizdale-kevin-knox-can-start-for-knicks-as-a-rookie/

Forget the notion that 18-year-old Kevin Knox’s rookie season will be spent as a reserve. Knicks coach David Fizdale said he has confidence the second-youngest player in the draft can crack the Knicks starting lineup at small forward.

In rave reviews about the Knicks’ first-round pick selected at No. 9 Thursday, Fizdale said the 6-foot-9 Knox “literally checked every box for us.” The coach also made a Jayson Tatum comparison, echoing Knox’s college coach, John Calipari.

“Yeah, I’m looking at our roster right now – absolutely,’’ Fizdale said at Knox’s introductory press conference Friday at their Tarrytown headquarters.

“Who’s our starting 3? Any of you guys know to tell me? They’re (Tim Hardaway Jr., Courtney Lee) both 6-5 and he’s got to guard LeBron (James) and (Kevin) Durant. Those are the threes in our league. It’s very good opportunity there for him to start.”

Fizdale tried to smash any notion the Knicks took a risk or were being patient in taking the less-proven Knox over Villanova junior small forward Mikal Bridges. Knox had an up-and-down freshman year at Kentucky in which he struggled most defensively. Calipari mentioned how Tatum wasn’t a star at Duke but became a Rookie of the Year candidate in Boston. Knox is the youngest Knicks draft pick since Maciej Lampe in 2003.

“I think he’ll be productive right away,’’ Fizdale said of Knox. “His body of work, his skill set says it and fits and translates. He can shoot the ball, finish well around the rim. He runs the floor well. He knows how to get to spots. Guys who are natural scorers, that stuff translates.

“We all like how that kid is looking in Boston now (Tatum). I’m not putting that pressure on this kid to be him. But it just does when you have that skill set at that height, that athleticism. I see him being a very productive player (as a rookie).’’

As a rookie, Frank Ntilikina only started seven games late in the season and only at shooting guard. Fizdale said he subscribes to the trial-by-fire method.

“I’ll put him at any position, anywhere on the floor,’’ Fizdale said.

Though Fizdale never saw any college games this season, the new coach pushed hard for Knox after his 3-on-3 workout nearly two weeks ago in which he got the better of Miles Bridges. Knicks president Steve Mills reiterated Knox’s that willingness to do a 3-on-3 group workout showed his confidence. (Mikal Bridges agreed only to a solo workout).
Fizdale said he was shocked how much his ballhandling had improved since his college season ended.

“He really responded well to the physicality,’’ Fizdale said of the workout that contributed to his rising on the Knicks’ board. “That was the best workout of all the workouts we had. Talk about physical guys hitting the floor. No one was giving an inch in that workout. The fact he shined in that workout says a lot.’’

Fizdale was hired partly because of his reputation at developing young players as the Knicks rebuild. He’ll have his work cut out for him with Ntilikina, their new second-round project center Mitchell Robinson, who never played in college, Damyean Dotson, and Kristaps Porzingis, when he returns from his ACL surgery, possibly by Christmas.

Knicks brass had full confidence in Fizdale to work with a young player such as Knox. Fizdale said he did his best work with young players in Miami after the Dream Team broke up with Justise Winslow, Tyler Johnson, Josh Richardson and Hasaan Whiteside.

“That’s where this league is at anyway — doesn’t matter who we’d take at 9,’’ Fizdale said. “Whoever it was it would take a lot of development and mentors, off the court growth.’’

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
6/22/2018  5:22 PM
Just wait until you see Knox unleashed. This kid has more ability than I think people realize. He’s going to be improved from what we saw during the NCAA season. I think he’s gonna be a better fit for the Pro Game.
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

6/22/2018  5:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/22/2018  5:46 PM
Fiz is saying what some of us of have been saying all year in terms of Lee and Hardaway being too small to be playing the 3. With that said, Fiz probably shouldn't projecting him as a starter in Newspapers...Not only is it pressure on Knox (okay, not really as our SF spot is very thin) but it could rub some of the guys the wrong way. Perhaps he could have said, he has to earn his spot in the Starting line up in practice and through hard work...

With that said, I'm glad to see he is hyped for this pick and more importantly, I'm happy the front office and coach are on the same page. Down here in Atlanta, there were reports that Trae Young was the owners pick and there was a fraction in the front office that wanted Doncic...One of the CEO's of the Hawks just refuted that statement on the radio but its good to see our front office functional and no longer dysfunctional.

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
6/22/2018  5:49 PM
Fizdale is going to do what got the guy before him got canned for. Hell yeah Knox should start from the beginning. Something they didn’t do for Ntlikina didn’t really play Dotson until few weeks before the end. If the mantra is “We’re young” then sure as hell better start playing the young players.
anrst
Member: #1054
USA
6/22/2018  5:57 PM
its def a different approach from hornacek
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/22/2018  6:02 PM
Vmart wrote:Fizdale is going to do what got the guy before him got canned for. Hell yeah Knox should start from the beginning. Something they didn’t do for Ntlikina didn’t really play Dotson until few weeks before the end. If the mantra is “We’re young” then sure as hell better start playing the young players.

Hornacek didnt rush a 19 year rookie with no US experience, playing PG for the time. Gave him consistent minutes, sometimes to a fault.

Hornacek got his share of things wrong. Throwing Frank to the wolves, running him into the ground wasnt one of them.

Posters harp on the efficiency of other players, Hornacek was very patient with Frank, his rookie year in spite of all the turnovers. Lots of coaches would have buried Frank on the bench because of his lack of offense.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/22/2018  6:03 PM
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/22/2018  6:06 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:

Nice. Mudiay hasn't been in a lot of the pics posted. Glad he is working. The Knicks not drafting a point in either round is a good sign for the three young point guards.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
6/22/2018  6:07 PM
Uptown wrote:Fiz is saying what some of us of have been saying all year in terms of Lee and Hardaway being too small to be playing the 3. With that said, Fiz probably shouldn't projecting him as a starter in Newspapers...Not only is it pressure on Knox (okay, not really as our SF spot is very thin) but it could rub some of the guys the wrong way. Perhaps he could have said, he has to earn his spot in the Starting line up in practice and through hard work...

With that said, I'm glad to see he is hyped for this pick and more importantly, I'm happy the front office and coach are on the same page. Down here in Atlanta, there were reports that Trae Young was the owners pick and there was a fraction in the front office that wanted Doncic...One of the CEO's of the Hawks just refuted that statement on the radio but its good to see our front office functional and no longer dysfunctional.

i agree. I am very excited that the front office and coach are on the same page.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
6/22/2018  6:10 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
Vmart wrote:Fizdale is going to do what got the guy before him got canned for. Hell yeah Knox should start from the beginning. Something they didn’t do for Ntlikina didn’t really play Dotson until few weeks before the end. If the mantra is “We’re young” then sure as hell better start playing the young players.

Hornacek didnt rush a 19 year rookie with no US experience, playing PG for the time. Gave him consistent minutes, sometimes to a fault.

Hornacek got his share of things wrong. Throwing Frank to the wolves, running him into the ground wasnt one of them.

Posters harp on the efficiency of other players, Hornacek was very patient with Frank, his rookie year in spite of all the turnovers. Lots of coaches would have buried Frank on the bench because of his lack of offense.

The smart coaches would have played him for his defense and known that the team is going nowhere and pushed young players for experience and find out if there something in the young players. All JH did was create more unknown situation going into the next year.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/22/2018  6:17 PM
Vmart wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

The smart coaches would have played him for his defense and known that the team is going nowhere and pushed young players for experience and find out if there something in the young players. All JH did was create more unknown situation going into the next year.

Smart coaches know that too much too soon can hurt a player's confidence. Frank wasnt ready for starter minutes, he went almost the entire season proving it.

Hornacek went easier on Frank than anyone else on the team. He was calling KP a "bitch" for pete's sake. I cant recall Hornacek unloading on him once. Anything more would have been coddling.

Ira
Member: #91
6/22/2018  6:18 PM
"Fizdale said he was shocked how much his ballhandling had improved since his college season ended."

That statement interested me since that was one of the knocks on Knox.

CrushAlot
USA
6/22/2018  6:25 PM
Vmart wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Frank had to have his minutes reduced because he was tired. Not sure why you keep posting he needed more minutes.
fwk00
Member: #6048

6/22/2018  6:46 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Frank had to have his minutes reduced because he was tired. Not sure why you keep posting he needed more minutes.

It was Porzingis who claimed to be tired, not Frankie.

Everything Fizdale says is open to lots of spin. I hope what he says is not a back-handed slap at Horny. Putting down the people you replace doesn't make you superior.

Its easy to crow about playing nothing but rookies and quite another thing when vets and agents refuse to sign because their career isn't being served from sitting on benches.

By all means develop the kids but let's not get stupid about it.

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/22/2018  6:59 PM
fwk00 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Everything Fizdale says is open to lots of spin. I hope what he says is not a back-handed slap at Horny. Putting down the people you replace doesn't make you superior.

Its easy to crow about playing nothing but rookies and quite another thing when vets and agents refuse to sign because their career isn't being served from sitting on benches.

Frank played the right amount of mins. He got nicked up a couple of times throughout the season and upped his workload drastically to 82 games vs the best in the world compared to what he came from. He gained 8 pounds of muscle and showed flashes of improvement after he recovered from his minor injuries toward the end of the season.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/22/2018  7:05 PM
I have a feeling Fizdale will fizz out fairly quickly unless he learns to shut his trap. This is New York, you don't project and fantasize here, we have a million plus fans to do that. Shut up and coach.
Having said that I hope he plays the young players - Frank, Knox, Dotson, Kornet etc. majority of the minutes instead of wasting them on Kanter, THJR and Lee.
I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
CrushAlot
USA
6/22/2018  8:01 PM
fwk00 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/22/2018  8:34 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
fwk00 wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Vmart wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:

Frank played 78 games and 22 mpg. He actually handled his rookie season pretty well given his level of conditioning. Very excited to see how Frank responds next season.

reub
Member: #6227

6/22/2018  8:40 PM
Fiz is pumping up the kids. I like it. Keep it up.
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

6/22/2018  9:17 PM
reub wrote:Fiz is pumping up the kids. I like it. Keep it up.

Agreed

Kinda wish Fizdale would shut up a bit... but here are some telling direct quotes on Knox

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy