[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks Sign Allonzo Trier
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Posts: 26011
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

10/4/2018  6:35 PM
Saw this on Reddit. Hope there's nothing to it, but it made me laugh.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
Jmpasq
Posts: 23473
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 4/10/2012
Member: #4182

10/4/2018  7:42 PM
franco12 wrote:I seem to recall people saying he was garbage - a selfish ball stopper.

He may not be a good passer.

But, there will be times where the offense is in a funk, players are hitting open shots- that you need a player you can pass the ball to, and let him attack.

He seems likable as well, and I hope he does well here.

I think the biggest challenge he poses to us is having to clear up a roster spot for him so he can stay up on the main squad.

He is a selfish ball stopper.

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
TheGame
Posts: 25354
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 7/15/2006
Member: #1154
USA
10/4/2018  8:06 PM
If we trade Lee than sign Trier to the team but if lee stays, Trier would be better off in g league where he could get some serious run. We have to see what we have in Dotson too this year. It is about building the team long term. Put Trier into the g league and then try to sign him on a low two year deal for $2 mil a year. By then Hardaway's deal will be up and then you can move Trier up as our scorer.
Playoffs or bust
knickstorrents
Posts: 21045
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 1/23/2010
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
10/4/2018  10:25 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
franco12 wrote:I seem to recall people saying he was garbage - a selfish ball stopper.

He may not be a good passer.

But, there will be times where the offense is in a funk, players are hitting open shots- that you need a player you can pass the ball to, and let him attack.

He seems likable as well, and I hope he does well here.

I think the biggest challenge he poses to us is having to clear up a roster spot for him so he can stay up on the main squad.

He is a selfish ball stopper.

I agree Trier is a selfish ball stopper, but I'm coming around to Fizdale's way of thinking.... all teams need someone like a Trier to help comeback from far behind where everyone has pretty much given up. Trier is single minded and shoots with no conscience... this can be a good thing, but the coach can't let it run wild.

Rose is not the answer.
TripleThreat
Posts: 21980
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 2/24/2012
Member: #3997

10/4/2018  11:53 PM
fishmike wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Right now Trier is playing like he belongs. If he could show some skill as a distributor down the road, that would really be something.


Trier is a chucker.

See... this tells me you have not watched preseason. At least youtube his highlights and come back to us.

Trier has established himself as an excellent basket attacker and finisher. Yes he's hit his 3s so is that sustainable? But the rest aint chucking. IF you think so your talking ****. Thats a guy using the threat of his drive to create space and using that space to knock down jumpers like he's in a gym. Defense will adjust sure and Trier has plenty to prove, but chucker? Not so far. Not at all.

I've watched plenty of Trier this year and in previous years.

I'm considering his entire body of work in his career thus far, not just a handful of games, many of which will not approximate what he will see in live mid season NBA action.

My take is a few games does not outweigh the scope of everything he's shown thus far. Everything. His Arizona days and everything up until now. My opinion.

If you want to take the opinion that a few days/games overshadows everything in the past, that's your opinion, your right to it.

Sometimes players do change. IT'S VERY VERY VERY VERY RARE.

One day, you could be right. But the odds are against it. You'll never actually admit that.

One day, I could be right. The odds are dramatically weighed on my end. Trier is a fringe player for a reason. That he's still in contention for a roster spot says more about the Knicks overall talent situation than it does about Trier.

I want Trier to succeed. I want the Knicks to win. But odds are he won't. I'm not going to deny basic marketplace reality over a couple of games. Of course he's putting in full effort, he's a fringe guy fighting for a roster spot. Many other times I've seen him though, the effort was inconsistent. Show it your entire career ( i.e. Patrick Beverley) then you can label a guy a high energy guy. Do it sometimes when you want to make the team, and it's nice, but not an indicator of long term behavior.

It's nice to have a guy who can, at times, create his own shot. But still in the context of a free flowing team offense and knowing when to turn that off and on. Trier only plays one way. He's gotta show he can adapt consistently to really help this team.

Since you came on this board you have been way off in regards to trade value. - Briggs 7/28/2015
Sangfroid
Posts: 23761
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/7/2009
Member: #2784

10/5/2018  2:58 AM
knickstorrents wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
franco12 wrote:I seem to recall people saying he was garbage - a selfish ball stopper.

He may not be a good passer.

But, there will be times where the offense is in a funk, players are hitting open shots- that you need a player you can pass the ball to, and let him attack.

He seems likable as well, and I hope he does well here.

I think the biggest challenge he poses to us is having to clear up a roster spot for him so he can stay up on the main squad.

He is a selfish ball stopper.

I agree Trier is a selfish ball stopper, but I'm coming around to Fizdale's way of thinking.... all teams need someone like a Trier to help comeback from far behind where everyone has pretty much given up. Trier is single minded and shoots with no conscience... this can be a good thing, but the coach can't let it run wild.

Tim Hardaway has those same attributes. He's a ball stopper who is "...single minded and shoots with no conscience." The difference is Trier is shooting 57% and Tim is shooting 31%. And don't get me started on Tim's defense. There's a place for Zo on this team, and it might be Tim's spot.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
blkexec
Posts: 24618
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 9/3/2004
Member: #748
10/5/2018  7:15 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
fishmike wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Right now Trier is playing like he belongs. If he could show some skill as a distributor down the road, that would really be something.


Trier is a chucker.

See... this tells me you have not watched preseason. At least youtube his highlights and come back to us.

Trier has established himself as an excellent basket attacker and finisher. Yes he's hit his 3s so is that sustainable? But the rest aint chucking. IF you think so your talking ****. Thats a guy using the threat of his drive to create space and using that space to knock down jumpers like he's in a gym. Defense will adjust sure and Trier has plenty to prove, but chucker? Not so far. Not at all.

I've watched plenty of Trier this year and in previous years.

I'm considering his entire body of work in his career thus far, not just a handful of games, many of which will not approximate what he will see in live mid season NBA action.

My take is a few games does not outweigh the scope of everything he's shown thus far. Everything. His Arizona days and everything up until now. My opinion.

If you want to take the opinion that a few days/games overshadows everything in the past, that's your opinion, your right to it.

Sometimes players do change. IT'S VERY VERY VERY VERY RARE.

One day, you could be right. But the odds are against it. You'll never actually admit that.

One day, I could be right. The odds are dramatically weighed on my end. Trier is a fringe player for a reason. That he's still in contention for a roster spot says more about the Knicks overall talent situation than it does about Trier.

I want Trier to succeed. I want the Knicks to win. But odds are he won't. I'm not going to deny basic marketplace reality over a couple of games. Of course he's putting in full effort, he's a fringe guy fighting for a roster spot. Many other times I've seen him though, the effort was inconsistent. Show it your entire career ( i.e. Patrick Beverley) then you can label a guy a high energy guy. Do it sometimes when you want to make the team, and it's nice, but not an indicator of long term behavior.

It's nice to have a guy who can, at times, create his own shot. But still in the context of a free flowing team offense and knowing when to turn that off and on. Trier only plays one way. He's gotta show he can adapt consistently to really help this team.

WTF

Q: What is the difference between a Knicks fan and a baby? A: The baby will stop whining after awhile.
blkexec
Posts: 24618
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 9/3/2004
Member: #748
10/5/2018  7:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2018  7:27 AM
TheGame wrote:If we trade Lee than sign Trier to the team but if lee stays, Trier would be better off in g league where he could get some serious run. We have to see what we have in Dotson too this year. It is about building the team long term. Put Trier into the g league and then try to sign him on a low two year deal for $2 mil a year. By then Hardaway's deal will be up and then you can move Trier up as our scorer.

I approve this message.

Couldn't agree more. The other option is put him on the team in a 6th man roll. He's already hungry playing with a chip on his undrafted shoulder. He's going to look like Burke in the g league....But dude is 6'5 200 plus, with that quickness. Burke is 5'11 190....Chase down blocks? Hustle on defense?

Everybody loves to look at his negatives. But his positives are intriguing, and with NBA experience (vs g league) he's going to be a monster in his 2nd year or as he develops.

The one weakness he has that I believe he can fix, is hit those open shots without dribbling. Once he's able to mix up his catch and shoot game, into his iso zo game, he's going to be a 2 way problem.

Q: What is the difference between a Knicks fan and a baby? A: The baby will stop whining after awhile.
Cartman718
Posts: 26399
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/12/2007
Member: #1694

10/5/2018  9:59 AM
blkexec wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
fishmike wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Right now Trier is playing like he belongs. If he could show some skill as a distributor down the road, that would really be something.


Trier is a chucker.

See... this tells me you have not watched preseason. At least youtube his highlights and come back to us.

Trier has established himself as an excellent basket attacker and finisher. Yes he's hit his 3s so is that sustainable? But the rest aint chucking. IF you think so your talking ****. Thats a guy using the threat of his drive to create space and using that space to knock down jumpers like he's in a gym. Defense will adjust sure and Trier has plenty to prove, but chucker? Not so far. Not at all.

I've watched plenty of Trier this year and in previous years.

I'm considering his entire body of work in his career thus far, not just a handful of games, many of which will not approximate what he will see in live mid season NBA action.

My take is a few games does not outweigh the scope of everything he's shown thus far. Everything. His Arizona days and everything up until now. My opinion.

If you want to take the opinion that a few days/games overshadows everything in the past, that's your opinion, your right to it.

Sometimes players do change. IT'S VERY VERY VERY VERY RARE.

One day, you could be right. But the odds are against it. You'll never actually admit that.

One day, I could be right. The odds are dramatically weighed on my end. Trier is a fringe player for a reason. That he's still in contention for a roster spot says more about the Knicks overall talent situation than it does about Trier.

I want Trier to succeed. I want the Knicks to win. But odds are he won't. I'm not going to deny basic marketplace reality over a couple of games. Of course he's putting in full effort, he's a fringe guy fighting for a roster spot. Many other times I've seen him though, the effort was inconsistent. Show it your entire career ( i.e. Patrick Beverley) then you can label a guy a high energy guy. Do it sometimes when you want to make the team, and it's nice, but not an indicator of long term behavior.

It's nice to have a guy who can, at times, create his own shot. But still in the context of a free flowing team offense and knowing when to turn that off and on. Trier only plays one way. He's gotta show he can adapt consistently to really help this team.

WTF

exactly. i was critical of trier as well from the summer league games, but he definitely showed up to play and looks ready to go. we have 2 microwaves in burke and thjr, doesn't hurt to have a third?

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Cartman718
Posts: 26399
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 10/12/2007
Member: #1694

10/5/2018  10:04 AM
blkexec wrote:
TheGame wrote:If we trade Lee than sign Trier to the team but if lee stays, Trier would be better off in g league where he could get some serious run. We have to see what we have in Dotson too this year. It is about building the team long term. Put Trier into the g league and then try to sign him on a low two year deal for $2 mil a year. By then Hardaway's deal will be up and then you can move Trier up as our scorer.

I approve this message.

Couldn't agree more. The other option is put him on the team in a 6th man roll. He's already hungry playing with a chip on his undrafted shoulder. He's going to look like Burke in the g league....But dude is 6'5 200 plus, with that quickness. Burke is 5'11 190....Chase down blocks? Hustle on defense?

Everybody loves to look at his negatives. But his positives are intriguing, and with NBA experience (vs g league) he's going to be a monster in his 2nd year or as he develops.

The one weakness he has that I believe he can fix, is hit those open shots without dribbling. Once he's able to mix up his catch and shoot game, into his iso zo game, he's going to be a 2 way problem.

he's already blocking shots of players taller than him in preseason, blind side defense is great.
i think he needs to make the team, not the g-league. can you ever have enough shooters?

what are the odds of burke, thjr and trier all having the same off night? probably very very small. they're all excellent at creating their own shot and on any given night we need only one of them to carry us during dry spells in the game.

as far as open shots without dribbling, lets face it even thjr and burke are not really great with that. thjr probably the best of the 3.

i think trier has a legit chance to be 3rd string PG.
With the knicks running and gunning like they are, full court pressure is going to be less and trier will have a much easier time bringing up the ball. he did make only 1 sweet pass so far to robinson in the post, it shows capability right?

looking for him in the pelicans game to find the open man if his shooting is not on point.
that'll solidify his place on the team for me.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Chandler
Posts: 22581
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/26/2015
Member: #6197

10/5/2018  11:00 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
fishmike wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:Right now Trier is playing like he belongs. If he could show some skill as a distributor down the road, that would really be something.


Trier is a chucker.

See... this tells me you have not watched preseason. At least youtube his highlights and come back to us.

Trier has established himself as an excellent basket attacker and finisher. Yes he's hit his 3s so is that sustainable? But the rest aint chucking. IF you think so your talking ****. Thats a guy using the threat of his drive to create space and using that space to knock down jumpers like he's in a gym. Defense will adjust sure and Trier has plenty to prove, but chucker? Not so far. Not at all.

I've watched plenty of Trier this year and in previous years.

I'm considering his entire body of work in his career thus far, not just a handful of games, many of which will not approximate what he will see in live mid season NBA action.

My take is a few games does not outweigh the scope of everything he's shown thus far. Everything. His Arizona days and everything up until now. My opinion.

If you want to take the opinion that a few days/games overshadows everything in the past, that's your opinion, your right to it.

Sometimes players do change. IT'S VERY VERY VERY VERY RARE.

One day, you could be right. But the odds are against it. You'll never actually admit that.

One day, I could be right. The odds are dramatically weighed on my end. Trier is a fringe player for a reason. That he's still in contention for a roster spot says more about the Knicks overall talent situation than it does about Trier.

I want Trier to succeed. I want the Knicks to win. But odds are he won't. I'm not going to deny basic marketplace reality over a couple of games. Of course he's putting in full effort, he's a fringe guy fighting for a roster spot. Many other times I've seen him though, the effort was inconsistent. Show it your entire career ( i.e. Patrick Beverley) then you can label a guy a high energy guy. Do it sometimes when you want to make the team, and it's nice, but not an indicator of long term behavior.

It's nice to have a guy who can, at times, create his own shot. But still in the context of a free flowing team offense and knowing when to turn that off and on. Trier only plays one way. He's gotta show he can adapt consistently to really help this team.

Two thoughts:

1) perhaps different motivation now. Not a coddled college player. Now it's shape up, or play overseas

2) I didn't watch him in college but I see a lot of driving to the hope, not pure chucking. Our team sorely needs someone to pressure the D, draw fouls (still the most efficient way to score by a wide marging -- even with modern ball analytics etc.) (Not to go off on a tangent, but I've long ranted about a quasi corrupt NBA which is effectuated by refs simply having a quicker whistle sometimes than others. Shooting free throws you're looking at an expected net increase of 1.4-1.6 for foul in the act of shooting a two pointer, compare that to roughly 1 for non-call, or 1.2ish for a three point attempt from a good shooter). You only need a few bad whistles to turn a game)


If nothing else a guy like Trier can keep the refs honest

DJMUSIC: Fisher talked a good game in Post game but aside from that Derek Fisher was ALL CHIT CHAT SH_t and produced nothing!
Nalod
Posts: 56032
Alba Posts: 151
Joined: 12/24/2003
Member: #508
USA
10/5/2018  11:39 AM

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2013/07/22/allonzo-trier-former-nyt-coverboy-now-a-top-50-recruit/

Interesting short article. I did not know much about him and his pre college ranking.
Interesting study to be no. 1 at age 13 and not be drafted years later.

Knicks1248: 1. Dolan should be more involved! 2. Why would any knick fan want pick 8, when that spot has a history of producing marginal NBA taken. (He prefers pick 9th instead)
FireHornacek
Posts: 20065
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/3/2017
Member: #7584

10/5/2018  11:55 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

I've watched plenty of Trier this year and in previous years.....

Your post was pretty darn good and you hit on the very real notion that success can be fleeting and deceptive.

All sports are littered with guys who can impress for an instant in time...and then they revert back to what they really are. Jeremy Lin, the Yankees Gary Sanchez, the Giants Ron Dayne, NASCAR's Trevor Bayne, even boxing's Mike Tyson can count as a guy who shined brightly but it was eventually revealed exactly what he was in the ring.

Trier looked absolutely fantastic the other night. But if you played and follow sports, you know the idea of flash in the pan.

Here's Lonzo Trier vs. the Nets on October 3, 2018:

Here's Allonzo Trier in January of 2019:

fishmike
Posts: 48845
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
10/5/2018  1:17 PM
FireHornacek wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

I've watched plenty of Trier this year and in previous years.....

Your post was pretty darn good and you hit on the very real notion that success can be fleeting and deceptive.

All sports are littered with guys who can impress for an instant in time...and then they revert back to what they really are. Jeremy Lin, the Yankees Gary Sanchez, the Giants Ron Dayne, NASCAR's Trevor Bayne, even boxing's Mike Tyson can count as a guy who shined brightly but it was eventually revealed exactly what he was in the ring.

Trier looked absolutely fantastic the other night. But if you played and follow sports, you know the idea of flash in the pan.

Here's Lonzo Trier vs. the Nets on October 3, 2018:

Here's Allonzo Trier in January of 2019:

So Trier is going to become an unstoppable force winning multiple titles over several years in the NBA before fizzling out?

Cool

FireHornacek
Posts: 20065
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/3/2017
Member: #7584

10/5/2018  1:52 PM
fishmike wrote:So Trier is going to become an unstoppable force winning multiple titles over several years in the NBA before fizzling out?

Cool

Yes, that's exactly what will happen. Trier will be an unstoppable force winning multiple titles...providing Trier plays 82 games against the Nets and the Magic (you know, the Trever Berbicks and Peter McNeeleys of the world). The minute Trier goes against the Warriors and Rockets (the Evander Holyfields and guys who fight back), Trier will look like this:

Here's Allonzo Trier after playing against the Golden State Warriors:

fishmike
Posts: 48845
Alba Posts: 1
Joined: 7/19/2002
Member: #298
USA
10/5/2018  1:56 PM
FireHornacek wrote:
fishmike wrote:So Trier is going to become an unstoppable force winning multiple titles over several years in the NBA before fizzling out?

Cool

Yes, that's exactly what will happen. Trier will be an unstoppable force winning multiple titles...providing Trier plays 82 games against the Nets and the Magic (you know, the Trever Berbicks and Peter McNeeleys of the world). The minute Trier goes against the Warriors and Rockets (the Evander Holyfields and guys who fight back), Trier will look like this:

Here's Allonzo Trier after playing against the Golden State Warriors:

Right... so you are still comparing Trier to a guy who's a champion and top of his sport. I appreciate your optimism! If he's an NBA player the FO did a great job. What you are comparing him to is a little silly but its a Knick fan site so have at it!

Shit... you are comparing Trier to Tyson right? Its just Trier looks nothing like the ref in that pic so I assumed you meant Tyson. If not than scratch the above

FireHornacek
Posts: 20065
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/3/2017
Member: #7584

10/5/2018  2:35 PM
fishmike wrote:Right... so you are still comparing Trier to a guy who's a champion and top of his sport. I appreciate your optimism!

Shit... you are comparing Trier to Tyson right?


Uhh, you clearly are not a knowledgeable boxing fan, are you? Never slipped on a pair of gloves, either. I'll educate you.

Mike Tyson was a Paper Tiger. Sure he looked like a world beater when fighting against Kenny Getup and Will E Last (the Nets and Orlando magic of boxing); but the moment Tyson went up against a guy who stood there and fought back we all saw that our grandmothers were capable of beating the piss out of Tyson. My God, Buster friggin' Douglas knocked Tyson the F out.

Allonzo Trier against the Nets is Mke Tyson in his first fights. Looking great against sh!t competition. Tyson fooled millions (he clearly fooled you) and Trier is doing the same. Wow, 25 points against the friggin' Nets in a pre-season game! Let's hang his jersey from the rafters of The Garden right now! Man, you fall in love fast.

Oh, and the Tyson/Trier comparisons go further. You do realize that Trier already has been suspended twice for violating rules, no? Hmm, Tyson also was a criminal. The similarities between the two are uncanny.

This is Allonzo Trier in about ten months time:

BigDaddyG
Posts: 26011
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

10/5/2018  2:47 PM
FireHornacek wrote:
fishmike wrote:Right... so you are still comparing Trier to a guy who's a champion and top of his sport. I appreciate your optimism!

Shit... you are comparing Trier to Tyson right?


Uhh, you clearly are not a knowledgeable boxing fan, are you? Never slipped on a pair of gloves, either. I'll educate you.

Mike Tyson was a Paper Tiger. Sure he looked like a world beater when fighting against Kenny Getup and Will E Last (the Nets and Orlando magic of boxing); but the moment Tyson went up against a guy who stood there and fought back we all saw that our grandmothers were capable of beating the piss out of Tyson. My God, Buster friggin' Douglas knocked Tyson the F out.

Allonzo Trier against the Nets is Mke Tyson in his first fights. Looking great against sh!t competition. Tyson fooled millions (he clearly fooled you) and Trier is doing the same. Wow, 25 points against the friggin' Nets in a pre-season game! Let's hang his jersey from the rafters of The Garden right now! Man, you fall in love fast.

Oh, and the Tyson/Trier comparisons go further. You do realize that Trier already has been suspended twice for violating rules, no? Hmm, Tyson also was a criminal. The similarities between the two are uncanny.

This is Allonzo Trier in about ten months time:


Sorry to digress, but I don't believe Mike downfall was merely him being exposed. Once Atlas and Cus left, Mike's conditioning,training and dedication went to crap. There were a number of factors that led to Mike's downfall. Also, the Lin comparison ...no, he isn't the ssecond coming of Nash. But he has still turned into a rotation level NBA guard...even a starter on some teams. If Trier reaches that level, then it's still a steal. I agree we should pump the brakes. Trier could easily turn into Jordan Crawford. That's why I would start him off at the G-League.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
FireHornacek
Posts: 20065
Alba Posts: 0
Joined: 11/3/2017
Member: #7584

10/5/2018  3:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/5/2018  3:23 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Sorry to digress, but I don't believe Mike downfall was merely him being exposed. Once Atlas and Cus left, Mike's conditioning,training and dedication went to crap. There were a number of factors that led to Mike's downfall. Also, the Lin comparison ...no, he isn't the ssecond coming of Nash. But he has still turned into a rotation level NBA guard...even a starter on some teams. If Trier reaches that level, then it's still a steal. I agree we should pump the brakes. Trier could easily turn into Jordan Crawford. That's why I would start him off at the G-League.

No, no, no. Cus, Atlas, and Jimmy Jacobs purposely set Tyson up to have big, spectacular wins in his early fights. He was set up against tomato cans (while Leon Spinks in just his eighth fight fought Muhammad Ali!) in order to create a buzz. And that it did. Tyson won most of those fights in the first round. Ever wonder why every single Tyson fight early in his career was televised? Jacobs knew what to give the networks -- a dynamite knockout. Thus Tyson's career downfall was actually started in his very first bouts. He wasn't conditioned to face adversity and he just wasn't that great. Oh, great against tomato cans, great for cable boxing shows, great for ignorant fans...but nothing but a Paper Tiger. It caught up to him. Bonecrusher Smith actually fought back. Buster Douglas did, too. And obviously Holyfield. Iron Mike didn't know how to handle a stiff opponent. So he resorted to biting a guy's ear in half.

And, yes, Jeremy Lin had himself a very good NBA career. I love the guy. But his comet did burn red hot and then...

And yes, pump the brakes on Allonzo Trier. Pump the brakes on Baker Mayfield, too. (Not Pat Mahomes. That guy is the real deal. I watched every college game of his. He really is that great.) But Trier?

This is a picture of Trier guarding Curry:

BigDaddyG
Posts: 26011
Alba Posts: 3
Joined: 1/22/2010
Member: #3049

10/5/2018  3:35 PM
FireHornacek wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Sorry to digress, but I don't believe Mike downfall was merely him being exposed. Once Atlas and Cus left, Mike's conditioning,training and dedication went to crap. There were a number of factors that led to Mike's downfall. Also, the Lin comparison ...no, he isn't the ssecond coming of Nash. But he has still turned into a rotation level NBA guard...even a starter on some teams. If Trier reaches that level, then it's still a steal. I agree we should pump the brakes. Trier could easily turn into Jordan Crawford. That's why I would start him off at the G-League.

No, no, no. Cus, Atlas, and Jimmy Jacobs purposely set Tyson up to have big, spectacular wins in his early fights. He was set up against tomato cans (while Leon Spinks in just his eighth fight fought Muhammad Ali!) in order to create a buzz. And that it did. Tyson won most of those fights in the first round. Ever wonder why every single Tyson fight early in his career was televised? Jacobs knew what to give the networks -- a dynamite knockout. Thus Tyson's career downfall was actually started in his very first bouts. He wasn't conditioned to face adversity and he just wasn't that great. Oh, great against tomato cans, great for cable boxing shows, great for ignorant fans...but nothing but a Paper Tiger. It caught up to him. Bonecrusher Smith actually fought back. Buster Douglas did, too. And obviously Holyfield. Iron Mike didn't know how to handle a stiff opponent. So he resorted to biting a guy's ear in half.

And, yes, Jeremy Lin had himself a very good NBA career. I love the guy. But his comet did burn red hot and then...

And yes, pump the brakes on Allonzo Trier. Pump the brakes on Baker Mayfield, too. (Not Pat Mahomes. That guy is the real deal. I watched every college game of his. He really is that great.) But Trier?

This is a picture of Trier guarding Curry:


We'll have to agree to disagree on Iron Mike. But I get what you're saying about Trier. The kid has me excited, but so did Mardy Collins and Marshon Brooks at one point. Gun to my head...I'd give Dotson first crack on the big club.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Knicks Sign Allonzo Trier

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.com All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.