[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

With the 36 Pick, the Knicks pick Mitchell Robinson
Author Thread
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

6/22/2018  10:56 AM
Strange...didn't know who he was, but was looking at projected second round bigs on DraftNet and they had him being taken in the second round...going to the Lakers at 39. Took me a bit of time to realize why there were no college highlight vids of him out there.

As some have said...you are swinging for the fences with this guy, and maybe we strike out on him, but he seems to have been a highly rated kid coming out of HS, and its not as if he screwed up ON the court.

He just turned 20 (an April Fools kid) and has a lot of physical talent and a lot to prove. He is a classic project, and right now I'm going to assume that Perry & Fizdale did their due diligence with Robinson's character issues,and our coaches can shape him into a competitive NBA player.

Time will tell...but that is true about any draft pick. I give us the benefit of the doubt on this selection.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/22/2018  11:08 AM
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/22/2018  11:57 AM
Saw an interview with him. He didn't really start playing organized ball until the 10th grade. Not a dynamic personality...answers questions in one or 2 words. Not surprised he skipped the combine as it probably wouldn't have helped him. Was 3rd rated center out of HS after Ayton and Bamba, and reports say not by much.

Yes, didn't play college, but really neither did Porter Jr. Obviously not as skilled but a way better athlete and healthier.

He's going to be a project which is understandable.

PURE KNICKS LOVE
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/22/2018  12:38 PM
Andrew wrote:Saw an interview with him. He didn't really start playing organized ball until the 10th grade. Not a dynamic personality...answers questions in one or 2 words. Not surprised he skipped the combine as it probably wouldn't have helped him. Was 3rd rated center out of HS after Ayton and Bamba, and reports say not by much.

Yes, didn't play college, but really neither did Porter Jr. Obviously not as skilled but a way better athlete and healthier.

He's going to be a project which is understandable.

Low risk but SUPER HIGH REWARD!!! Kid has 1st Rd talent and the Knicks needed a big like him. Now they need to work this New Player Development Program and see if they can get him right. Love his potential.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/22/2018  12:51 PM
I think this was a value pick and nothing more. I liked Melvin Frazier and I have a feeling they were hoping he would be there but we missed him by a couple spots. I think the guys they were hoping for were gone and they literally were like "ok... who's rated most talented" and there you have it.

That being said if he shows anything at all give him that Dotson contract and lock him up cheap for a couple years

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/22/2018  12:56 PM
fishmike wrote:I think this was a value pick and nothing more. I liked Melvin Frazier and I have a feeling they were hoping he would be there but we missed him by a couple spots. I think the guys they were hoping for were gone and they literally were like "ok... who's rated most talented" and there you have it.

That being said if he shows anything at all give him that Dotson contract and lock him up cheap for a couple years

I'm not expecting anything, but I like that we're taking some risks

fishmike
USA
6/22/2018  1:04 PM
smackeddog wrote:
fishmike wrote:I think this was a value pick and nothing more. I liked Melvin Frazier and I have a feeling they were hoping he would be there but we missed him by a couple spots. I think the guys they were hoping for were gone and they literally were like "ok... who's rated most talented" and there you have it.

I see this draft as neither conservative or risky... right in the middle which is play it straight. What does that mean? That means while you consider who should go where, you do your best homework and take the guy you like the most. That was clearly Knox and based on their reasons for taking him I am great with the pick. Robinson? Exactly what you use 2nd rounders for. Take a talent and see if you can develop it.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/22/2018  1:05 PM
In many ways, how to value Robert Williams in relation to the other bigs in this class represents the crux of that debate. The past few years have seen a wave of young big talent enter the league. If those guys wind up as the league’s best players within a few years, maybe the league will shift back to the best teams being centered around their big men. In that case, the Robert Williams/Capela-types might lose value. Ayton/Bagley/Bamba/WCJ/JJJ could represent significantly more valuable players than Williams.

But if league trends continue in their current direction, it is easy to envision a future in which Robert Williams offers just as much as value as those other players, and is more likely to wind up on the type of roster that actually competes for a title.

It is impossible to say which viewpoint is “correct.” Projecting league trends is not an easy task. However, I tend to lean on the side of pace-and-space being a fundamental shift in strategy, and not just a personnel based trend.

As a result, if I was a team picking at the top of the draft, I would give serious consideration to trading down and acquiring Robert Williams plus something else, rather than investing in one of the top bigs. One last thing I’ll note is that many of these same arguments might apply to Mitchell Robinson. Robinson’s intangible flags are far more worrisome than Williams, but his tools might be even more enticing. If a team has reason to believe in Robinson’s personality he should absolutely factor into this same calculus.

From an article about the value of Robert Williams versus the marquee bigs in this past draft.
https://www.thestepien.com/2018/06/20/robert-williams-clint-capela-valuing-big-men/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/22/2018  1:09 PM
fishmike wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

I see this draft as neither conservative or risky... right in the middle which is play it straight. What does that mean? That means while you consider who should go where, you do your best homework and take the guy you like the most. That was clearly Knox and based on their reasons for taking him I am great with the pick. Robinson? Exactly what you use 2nd rounders for. Take a talent and see if you can develop it.

These are just the kind of Long and Athletic players we’ Lacked. Also great upside. Since Perry came on board he’s increased the talent level. There’s gotta be some recognition of the direction this regime has taken this franchise ☀️😎

ekstarks94
Member: #6104

6/22/2018  2:24 PM
nixluva wrote:
fishmike wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

These are just the kind of Long and Athletic players we’ Lacked. Also great upside. Since Perry came on board he’s increased the talent level. There’s gotta be some recognition of the direction this regime has taken this franchise ☀️😎

He's got my vote.
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

6/23/2018  9:17 PM
Mitchell's high school coach says Knicks got a steal with Mitchell in the 2nd round.

https://t.co/M3XeiAiLvu

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/24/2018  8:47 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
In many ways, how to value Robert Williams in relation to the other bigs in this class represents the crux of that debate. The past few years have seen a wave of young big talent enter the league. If those guys wind up as the league’s best players within a few years, maybe the league will shift back to the best teams being centered around their big men. In that case, the Robert Williams/Capela-types might lose value. Ayton/Bagley/Bamba/WCJ/JJJ could represent significantly more valuable players than Williams.

But if league trends continue in their current direction, it is easy to envision a future in which Robert Williams offers just as much as value as those other players, and is more likely to wind up on the type of roster that actually competes for a title.

It is impossible to say which viewpoint is “correct.” Projecting league trends is not an easy task. However, I tend to lean on the side of pace-and-space being a fundamental shift in strategy, and not just a personnel based trend.

As a result, if I was a team picking at the top of the draft, I would give serious consideration to trading down and acquiring Robert Williams plus something else, rather than investing in one of the top bigs. One last thing I’ll note is that many of these same arguments might apply to Mitchell Robinson. Robinson’s intangible flags are far more worrisome than Williams, but his tools might be even more enticing. If a team has reason to believe in Robinson’s personality he should absolutely factor into this same calculus.

From an article about the value of Robert Williams versus the marquee bigs in this past draft.
https://www.thestepien.com/2018/06/20/robert-williams-clint-capela-valuing-big-men/

So frustrating that the Celtics nabbed him at 27. Ainge is a wizard and has incredible luck. By far the best GM in the sport its not even close. Williams will look a lot better than he is on that team because all he has to do is play a role. He rebounds like a fiend and is an excellent rim protector he won't have to do anything else to be a success.
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
blkexec
Member: #748
6/24/2018  8:35 PM
Everybody should watch the 2017 McDonald's all American. You will see almost all the high draft picks against each other.....including Knox and Mitchell. Porter looks tall and smooth but fragile thin.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
Member: #748
6/24/2018  9:03 PM
blkexec wrote:Everybody should watch the 2017 McDonald's all American. You will see almost all the high draft picks against each other.....including Knox and Mitchell. Porter looks tall and smooth but fragile thin.

http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/content/aag/en/MediaCenter/2017/2017-game-materials/2017-final-team-roster.html

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Chandler
Member: #6197

6/25/2018  11:06 AM

I've seen a number of comments comparing Robinson to Capella. Does anyone have any insight on how/whether Robinson can play defense at the perimeter? Capella is pretty good on switches
(5)(5)
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/25/2018  11:53 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:Mitchell's high school coach says Knicks got a steal with Mitchell in the 2nd round.

https://t.co/M3XeiAiLvu

Ummmm, not for nothing, but would you expect him to say anything else?

So we have a kid straight out of HS who may be a chucklehead. You can't coach wingspan. If nothing else, this gives Frankie someone to mentor.

anrst
Member: #1054
USA
6/25/2018  11:58 AM
Chandler wrote:
I've seen a number of comments comparing Robinson to Capella. Does anyone have any insight on how/whether Robinson can play defense at the perimeter? Capella is pretty good on switches

Every single big man is measured by Capella. It's crazy. It's like, either he does XYZ like Capella, or he doesn't have the ABC that Capella does.

Chandler
Member: #6197

6/26/2018  1:24 PM
Fingers crossed that we score on some second round picks (Dotson? RObinson? who cares)

it's possible: https://www.nba.com/magic/ranking-second-round-draft-60-20180211

(5)(5)
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/27/2018  10:27 AM
NYKBocker wrote:
blkexec wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Andrew wrote:This is the best article I found on him. https://www.thestepien.com/2018/01/26/mitchell-robinson-nba-youngboy/

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/01/26/mitchell-robinson-nba-youngboy/

This article is great. has lows and highs on Mitchell. And from personal experience I agree 100%. Now I understand why he was working on his outside game. He's similar to javel Magee right now. Long help side **** blocker with hops....but no post game. This is today's nba big man. I don't think he will be a prototypical back to the basket player. but he can protect the rim and make up ground. They talked about details I noticed like high hips.....Article is very accurate.

I agree. Thanks Andrew for the share. I really think he is very similar to Thon Maker.

That article almost makes in sound like Amare Stoudemire with PLUS defense. I didn't read the whole thing but it doesn't seem to talk about his mindset or approach to the game. If he can be hungry and mentally tough it can be an awesome combination. Unfortunately, Amare himself want mentally tough or very smart either. This kid is lot younger and has time to learn, but if I was the Knicks, I would focus on getting him enough support to create a safe space for him to learn and grow. Given this is New York, I honestly don't think it will happen though.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
fishmike
USA
6/27/2018  10:57 AM
meloshouldgo wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:
blkexec wrote:
blkexec wrote:
Andrew wrote:This is the best article I found on him. https://www.thestepien.com/2018/01/26/mitchell-robinson-nba-youngboy/

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/01/26/mitchell-robinson-nba-youngboy/

This article is great. has lows and highs on Mitchell. And from personal experience I agree 100%. Now I understand why he was working on his outside game. He's similar to javel Magee right now. Long help side **** blocker with hops....but no post game. This is today's nba big man. I don't think he will be a prototypical back to the basket player. but he can protect the rim and make up ground. They talked about details I noticed like high hips.....Article is very accurate.

I agree. Thanks Andrew for the share. I really think he is very similar to Thon Maker.

That article almost makes in sound like Amare Stoudemire with PLUS defense. I didn't read the whole thing but it doesn't seem to talk about his mindset or approach to the game. If he can be hungry and mentally tough it can be an awesome combination. Unfortunately, Amare himself want mentally tough or very smart either. This kid is lot younger and has time to learn, but if I was the Knicks, I would focus on getting him enough support to create a safe space for him to learn and grow. Given this is New York, I honestly don't think it will happen though.

Westchester... pretty burbs, great gym, close to stuff... Hard to see Robinson up here much next year but who knows. This is the perfect use of G league IMO... if he shows any work ethic give him the Dotson contract
With the 36 Pick, the Knicks pick Mitchell Robinson

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy