With the ninth pick, the NY Knicks select Kevin Knox
Author Thread
Cartman718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1694

6/24/2018  9:13 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
blkexec wrote:
codeunknown wrote:Knox is a very disappointing pick. With Lonnie Walker and Mikal Bridges on the board, there were definitely better risk-reward picks available. Age is an important variable and Knox is young, but his baseline shooting mechanics, on-ball control, and defensive instincts are all underwhelming. I’ll root hard for him, but the on-court data was unsatisfactory enough that it’s hard to imagine that personal attributes trump that data. Basically, it’s a long shot that he will be an efficient player. Usually one can get on board with picks you don’t like, as part of differences in risk aversion in a greater overall plan. I have a hard time getting on board with this pick. So much so, that I begin to question the intelligence and tools used in this evaluation by the front office.

I was a Mikal fan....still a Mikal fan. But I'm starting to understand why knox may have been the pick over Mikal. Look at his 3 yr college stats and his 1st years...he averaged 6 or 8 pts....He popped his 3rd yr. I believe he played 20 mins his freshmen year, which could be why his stats are low.

http://insider.espn.com/nbadraft/results/players/stats/_/id/80360

I understand the the Knox pick too. Good athleticism, solid stroke and young enough to coach out of bad habits. Still would not have made the pick. Villanova is a solid, consistent program. They don't usually have the luxury of bringing in one and done five stars. The fact that Mikal had time to get coached up in a disciplined setting was a good thing IMHOP. I wanted Miles because I saw an instant fit as Wilson Chandler type combo forward who could plug in all over the court. I'm not too upset with our pick tho. Knox clearly has the upside to be real good. The only thing that really bothers me about him is that he kinda reminds me off Charlie Villanueva after a round of hair transplants. I associate Charlie with disappointment...

were you then angry with lebron james too?

the one on the right is a terrorist.
Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/25/2018  3:52 AM
Cartman718 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
blkexec wrote:
codeunknown wrote:Knox is a very disappointing pick. With Lonnie Walker and Mikal Bridges on the board, there were definitely better risk-reward picks available. Age is an important variable and Knox is young, but his baseline shooting mechanics, on-ball control, and defensive instincts are all underwhelming. I’ll root hard for him, but the on-court data was unsatisfactory enough that it’s hard to imagine that personal attributes trump that data. Basically, it’s a long shot that he will be an efficient player. Usually one can get on board with picks you don’t like, as part of differences in risk aversion in a greater overall plan. I have a hard time getting on board with this pick. So much so, that I begin to question the intelligence and tools used in this evaluation by the front office.

I was a Mikal fan....still a Mikal fan. But I'm starting to understand why knox may have been the pick over Mikal. Look at his 3 yr college stats and his 1st years...he averaged 6 or 8 pts....He popped his 3rd yr. I believe he played 20 mins his freshmen year, which could be why his stats are low.

I understand the the Knox pick too. Good athleticism, solid stroke and young enough to coach out of bad habits. Still would not have made the pick. Villanova is a solid, consistent program. They don't usually have the luxury of bringing in one and done five stars. The fact that Mikal had time to get coached up in a disciplined setting was a good thing IMHOP. I wanted Miles because I saw an instant fit as Wilson Chandler type combo forward who could plug in all over the court. I'm not too upset with our pick tho. Knox clearly has the upside to be real good. The only thing that really bothers me about him is that he kinda reminds me off Charlie Villanueva after a round of hair transplants. I associate Charlie with disappointment...

I could randomly throw a dart, blindfolded, and accidentally hit a reason not to like the "King of New York."

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Chandler
Member: #6197

6/25/2018  10:54 AM
blkexec wrote:In my opinion....I believe they feel Knox has more upside on offense as a complete offensive player that fits in any system. On defense....knox currently has more upside to guard PFs than Mikal who weighs 198 lbs. Mikal is similar to Lee....just a few inches taller. Mikal size wise will never be able to play full time PF. Knox will....Mikal will get pushed around by larger SFs...Knox was a football player first so he's built with a solid frame that absorbed body contact. Knox simply has more overall potential than mikal. This is coming from a Mikal fan. It took a while but I see their thinking.

also keep in mind the length of the season. 82 games. back to backs etc. There's a lot to be said for natural size to endure and grind out a season. Not saying a smaller guy can'tbe successful but the odss are against him

I'm wishing for the best with Knox (but will also be seeing how SGA unfolds)

(5)(5)
Chandler
Member: #6197

6/25/2018  10:56 AM
technomaster wrote:Oversimplifying a bit, I think in recent years we’ve
seen players like Kidd-Gilcrist and Justise Winslow, and going back a little, Corey Brewer. These guys went in the lottery with profiles not that different from Bridges, and ultimately are these guys better/more productive than Lance Thomas? Players like that come cheap in free agency since they don’t stand out.

The Knicks had Bridges and Knox workout with each other.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/06/19/kevin-knoxs-draft-stock-rises-with-knicks-76ers-intrigued/amp/

In Knox’s first comments about the Knicks, he confirmed he got loads of positive feedback from the coaches after going against lottery candidate, Miles Bridges, and others at the team’s practice facility. One source familiar with the workout said the 6-foot-9 Knox “kicked [Bridges] around.’’

So my thinking here:
* while Knox is a bigger, more athletic player, Bridges would need to handle guys like this on a nightly basis - and judging by the outcome, would need system help to contain him.
* likewise, Knox outplayed a guy many consider a defensive beast, and likely contained him on he defensive end of the floor.
* the scouts came away thinking that Knox was the better player in the workout and saw his potential as a 2-way player.

The hope is that his b-ball IQ improves over time and he puts in the work to maximize his physical attributes.

this is true. there are an awful lot of names that could be added to that list. Came from winning programs; was "the man" in college etc. I wish I trusted our current FO's eye for talent

(5)(5)
Cartman718
Member: #1694

6/25/2018  2:32 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
blkexec wrote:

I could randomly throw a dart, blindfolded, and accidentally hit a reason not to like the "King of New York."

i'm just saying...not liking someone for what they look like...are you america's next top model

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
blkexec
Member: #748
6/25/2018  2:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/25/2018  2:59 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
blkexec wrote:

i'm just saying...not liking someone for what they look like...are you america's next top model

He sounds like an American to me.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/25/2018  3:43 PM
Cartman718 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Never said I don't like the dude. But it does bother me that he reminds of a known bust. Being America's top model has nothing to with what I said. I suppose I'd still be bothered if the kid was America's top model, but reminded me of Eddie Curry.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/25/2018  5:09 PM

Nice!

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
6/28/2018  3:54 PM
https://nypost.com/2018/06/28/how-kentucky-tried-building-kevin-knox-into-next-durant/

One week after John Calipari compared Knox to Tatum in predicting he will explode in the NBA after not doing so in college, Kentucky’s top assistant, Kenny Payne, went the Kevin Durant route.

I think Knox's floor is a mediocre starter. (Maybe like one of the Morris twins or Jeff Green) But his ceiling could be a really good all-star.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
smackeddog
Member: #883
6/28/2018  4:16 PM
Good interview with Mills, gives a bit more info about Knox:

With the ninth pick, the NY Knicks select Kevin Knox

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy