[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

With the ninth pick, the NY Knicks select Kevin Knox
Author Thread
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

6/22/2018  11:28 AM
fishmike wrote:https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/06/22/2018-nba-draft-hawks-knicks-among-biggest-winners/724476002/

WINNERS:

New York Knicks

The Knicks resisted the temptation to snag Porter Jr. at No. 9 and took Kevin Knox — a versatile wing out of Kentucky who’s still developing. Initially seen as a late-lottery talent, the Knicks stuck to their guns with Knox rather than take someone like Mikal Bridges, a system player without as much upside. Knox can run the floor, lead transition breaks, take the ball off the bounce and hit from outside. There’s always pressure to find an immediate contributor, but Knox’s trajectory fits with the Knicks’ timeline. He should also complement Kristaps Porzingis well as the two can both draw defenders out to the perimeter.

thanks for sharing. Just mentioned in another thread that if nothing else at least the idea of a timeline makes sense. Now comes the tough part. Picking all these 18-19 years olds we'll need to be patient, and NYers are allergic to patience

(5)(5)
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/22/2018  12:54 PM
Chandler wrote:
fishmike wrote:https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/06/22/2018-nba-draft-hawks-knicks-among-biggest-winners/724476002/

WINNERS:

New York Knicks

The Knicks resisted the temptation to snag Porter Jr. at No. 9 and took Kevin Knox — a versatile wing out of Kentucky who’s still developing. Initially seen as a late-lottery talent, the Knicks stuck to their guns with Knox rather than take someone like Mikal Bridges, a system player without as much upside. Knox can run the floor, lead transition breaks, take the ball off the bounce and hit from outside. There’s always pressure to find an immediate contributor, but Knox’s trajectory fits with the Knicks’ timeline. He should also complement Kristaps Porzingis well as the two can both draw defenders out to the perimeter.

thanks for sharing. Just mentioned in another thread that if nothing else at least the idea of a timeline makes sense. Now comes the tough part. Picking all these 18-19 years olds we'll need to be patient, and NYers are allergic to patience

This game just underscores the kind of talent Knox flashed.

blkexec
Member: #748
6/22/2018  2:21 PM
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/22/2018  3:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/22/2018  3:37 PM
A lot of movement by Knox without the ball in this game, and some fluid shooting.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/22/2018  3:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/22/2018  4:00 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2018/06/22/knicks-invest-in-youth-and-upside-by-drafting-kevin-knox-and-mitchell-robinson/amp/
blkexec
6/22/2018  5:37 PM
“He really responded well to the physicality,’’ Fizdale said of the workout that contributed to his rising on the Knicks’ board. “That was the best workout of all the workouts we had. Talk about physical guys hitting the floor. No one was giving an inch in that workout. The fact he shined in that workout says a lot.’’
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Welpee
Member: #6239

6/22/2018  5:45 PM
I'm just happy to not hear the "T" word all month...triangle.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/22/2018  7:20 PM
blkexec wrote:“He really responded well to the physicality,’’ Fizdale said of the workout that contributed to his rising on the Knicks’ board. “That was the best workout of all the workouts we had. Talk about physical guys hitting the floor. No one was giving an inch in that workout. The fact he shined in that workout says a lot.’’

YUP! Fiz loves him.

JesseDark
Member: #467
6/22/2018  8:55 PM
Welpee wrote:I'm just happy to not hear the "T" word all month...triangle.

Just for giggles who would've been the best triangle pick in this draft? I'm thinking Mikal Bridges.

Bring back dee-fense
meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/22/2018  11:13 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:A lot of movement by Knox without the ball in this game, and some fluid shooting.

He seems to move well without the ball, that's a plus.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
93BUICK
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1175
USA
6/23/2018  12:42 AM
For a guy who is a versatile scoring talent he doesn't seem to hold the ball too much- scores in action, off fast breaks, off passes w set shots quick release etc. - really good offensive compliment to KP and THjr in that sense-
If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
blkexec
6/23/2018  12:51 AM
93BUICK wrote:For a guy who is a versatile scoring talent he doesn't seem to hold the ball too much- scores in action, off fast breaks, off passes w set shots quick release etc. - really good offensive compliment to KP and THjr in that sense-

Mix these offensive playeers with Fizdaless strategy to go "old school" knicks ball, where defense was used to start the fast breaks.

This is perfect for Knox right now. He can be the go to guy as a rookie, while KP's is out. He should be able to get a lot of playing time. Looks like he's physically ready.

nykshaknbake
Member: #492
6/23/2018  11:07 AM
I'm starting to warm to this pick. He's only 18 and could grow lots. Not too many 18 year olds that are good defenders anyway. If we can teach him the basics, this may work out nicely.
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

6/23/2018  11:56 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:All I want from Knox is good man-man/switch defense and the ability to stroke it from deep. Everything else would be gravy if he can bring those 3 things.

He is inconsistent on defense. I don't think he'll be a good shooter at the NBA level. His decision making is suspect. His situational awareness also raises concerns. He can't consistently create his own shot at the NBA level and nothing he's done before indicates that he will. More critically, there are some fundamental issues with him. Not a fan of his footwork. If there is one thing that is consistent about NBA Draft History in terms of players who surprised and panned out, it's their fundamentals. Core basic skill sets that form the foundation for other things to build upon. Knox has some issues with his shooting mechanics. It's one thing if he carried the same problem game after game, but there are times he's just all over the place.

He has a very high athletic ceiling, no doubt.

I think Mikal Bridges and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander were both more fundamental and have better BBIQ. The mechanics and fundamentals on Bridges is very good. They both have inate situational awareness. SGA is impressive as he gives defenders different looks all the time when he has the ball in his hands. He has some "Goran Dragic Magic" to his game. Both read the floor really well.

Bill Belichick and Billy Beane both share some convictions about player personnel - I.E. focus on what a player CAN DO RIGHT NOW instead of siting on a player hoping WHAT HE MIGHT DO if 8-10-15 things change/go right in your favor.

SGA would have been a measured risk. There is some upside and some downside, but you can see the practical floor.

Knox just comes off as a risk period. He's a player that will need to be carried by his offense, but nothing outside of his athleticism and things attributed to his raw athleticism, show he can actually create his own shot consistently at the NBA level. I get taking a player because he's good at "One Thing" but Good God, make sure he's actually good and has some kind of track record towards that "One Thing"

As a fan of the game, I think Knox was a questionable selection.

As a diehad Knicks fan, well he's here, let's just hope for the best.

codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
6/23/2018  12:22 PM
Knox is a very disappointing pick. With Lonnie Walker and Mikal Bridges on the board, there were definitely better risk-reward picks available. Age is an important variable and Knox is young, but his baseline shooting mechanics, on-ball control, and defensive instincts are all underwhelming. I’ll root hard for him, but the on-court data was unsatisfactory enough that it’s hard to imagine that personal attributes trump that data. Basically, it’s a long shot that he will be an efficient player. Usually one can get on board with picks you don’t like, as part of differences in risk aversion in a greater overall plan. I have a hard time getting on board with this pick. So much so, that I begin to question the intelligence and tools used in this evaluation by the front office.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/23/2018  12:37 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:All I want from Knox is good man-man/switch defense and the ability to stroke it from deep. Everything else would be gravy if he can bring those 3 things.

He is inconsistent on defense. I don't think he'll be a good shooter at the NBA level. His decision making is suspect. His situational awareness also raises concerns. He can't consistently create his own shot at the NBA level and nothing he's done before indicates that he will. More critically, there are some fundamental issues with him. Not a fan of his footwork. If there is one thing that is consistent about NBA Draft History in terms of players who surprised and panned out, it's their fundamentals. Core basic skill sets that form the foundation for other things to build upon. Knox has some issues with his shooting mechanics. It's one thing if he carried the same problem game after game, but there are times he's just all over the place.

He has a very high athletic ceiling, no doubt.

I think Mikal Bridges and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander were both more fundamental and have better BBIQ. The mechanics and fundamentals on Bridges is very good. They both have inate situational awareness. SGA is impressive as he gives defenders different looks all the time when he has the ball in his hands. He has some "Goran Dragic Magic" to his game. Both read the floor really well.

Bill Belichick and Billy Beane both share some convictions about player personnel - I.E. focus on what a player CAN DO RIGHT NOW instead of siting on a player hoping WHAT HE MIGHT DO if 8-10-15 things change/go right in your favor.

SGA would have been a measured risk. There is some upside and some downside, but you can see the practical floor.

Knox just comes off as a risk period. He's a player that will need to be carried by his offense, but nothing outside of his athleticism and things attributed to his raw athleticism, show he can actually create his own shot consistently at the NBA level. I get taking a player because he's good at "One Thing" but Good God, make sure he's actually good and has some kind of track record towards that "One Thing"

As a fan of the game, I think Knox was a questionable selection.

As a diehad Knicks fan, well he's here, let's just hope for the best.

Hmmm, most scouting reports and video analysis have raved about his shooting ability from catch and shoot to off the dribble. I was also under the impression of low bball IQ. But he has also show flashes of moving well without the ball, utilizing screens well, leaking out for the break and being the first man down.

Where he has looked bad is forced drives into traffic for terrible attempts where it looks like he just throws it up. And I have yet to see him create a shot from someone else in any highlight clip so far. If he isn't going to be a dude that creates for others. Then he will need to focus on defending multiple positions and sticking to what he excells at with coming for screens, spacing the floor, attacking closeouts, leaking on the break.

He is said to shy away from contact, but also needs some improvement defending the perimeter, but has showns flashes of doing a good job. But one of those are going to need to be a strength or he becomes a tweener. Would def like to see him improve on doing the dirty work rather just just being a finesse player. Spacing should be way better for him in the NBA.

I liked the Idea of SGA as you get a 7ft wingspan multi positional defender who can put the ball on the floor, create for others, and shoot(though he doesn't have enough reps to claim that at the moment). Collecting players like that across the board and going positionless is the formula for building a contender today.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/23/2018  1:00 PM
JesseDark wrote:
Welpee wrote:I'm just happy to not hear the "T" word all month...triangle.

Just for giggles who would've been the best triangle pick in this draft? I'm thinking Mikal Bridges.

Carter...a nice big for Jackson.

Can hit the J...play in the post...rebound, and he even averaged 2APG in 26 MPG, adjusted to 3 at 40M.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

6/23/2018  1:08 PM
codeunknown wrote:Knox is a very disappointing pick. With Lonnie Walker and Mikal Bridges on the board, there were definitely better risk-reward picks available. Age is an important variable and Knox is young, but his baseline shooting mechanics, on-ball control, and defensive instincts are all underwhelming. I’ll root hard for him, but the on-court data was unsatisfactory enough that it’s hard to imagine that personal attributes trump that data. Basically, it’s a long shot that he will be an efficient player. Usually one can get on board with picks you don’t like, as part of differences in risk aversion in a greater overall plan. I have a hard time getting on board with this pick. So much so, that I begin to question the intelligence and tools used in this evaluation by the front office.

Respectfully disagree,Lonnie fell all the way to the spurs because he is very out of control with the ball and is extremely turn over prone with his lack of ball control, tries to force passes when he over dribbles also has a low motor and questionable shot selection. High Ceiling poor mans JR Smith, more realistic comparison and ceiling Iman Shump.

Mikal is your classic 3 and D player, but he doesn’t come without issues there is a reason he was traded for the 16 th pick Z Smith. He needs to work on his ball handling, Bridges struggles to put the ball on the floor with defenders on him and has the tendency to telegraph his passes probably due to his lack of ball handling skills. When defenders are on Bridges the ball has the tendency to stop moving as he won’t put the ball on the floor. In the right system he could flourish as a spot up shooter on offense but we are talking about a role player at best, definitely not a star in the nba.

Now Knox and is the better overall prospect to both of the prospects you mentioned because of his star potential. At 18 years of age his weaknesses are typically of his age, short motor, defensive liability “sometimes” but has the physical tools to be a lockdown defender, Questionable decision making, needs to work on consistency,tends to settle for pull ups, losses his defenders in zone defensive schemes, lacks body control.

Positives at 18 he’s just scratched the surface of his potential. He’s shown the ability to take over games on both ends of the floor, great off the ball movement, has a great shooting form and touch. One of the best in the draft at creating his own shot and putting the ball on the floor, gets to the free throw line with ease, knows how to create contact and to get calls, Great in transition, deadly mid range game. Knows how to use his wingspan to shoot over defenders, can post up.

Knox is one of the most versatile prospects in the draft has the tools to become a superstar in this league.

I give the Knicks a A+++ for drafting this Kid who has a unknown Ceiling could be PG13 2.0

blkexec
6/23/2018  1:21 PM
fitzfarm wrote:
codeunknown wrote:Knox is a very disappointing pick. With Lonnie Walker and Mikal Bridges on the board, there were definitely better risk-reward picks available. Age is an important variable and Knox is young, but his baseline shooting mechanics, on-ball control, and defensive instincts are all underwhelming. I’ll root hard for him, but the on-court data was unsatisfactory enough that it’s hard to imagine that personal attributes trump that data. Basically, it’s a long shot that he will be an efficient player. Usually one can get on board with picks you don’t like, as part of differences in risk aversion in a greater overall plan. I have a hard time getting on board with this pick. So much so, that I begin to question the intelligence and tools used in this evaluation by the front office.

Respectfully disagree,Lonnie fell all the way to the spurs because he is very out of control with the ball and is extremely turn over prone with his lack of ball control, tries to force passes when he over dribbles also has a low motor and questionable shot selection. High Ceiling poor mans JR Smith, more realistic comparison and ceiling Iman Shump.

Mikal is your classic 3 and D player, but he doesn’t come without issues there is a reason he was traded for the 16 th pick Z Smith. He needs to work on his ball handling, Bridges struggles to put the ball on the floor with defenders on him and has the tendency to telegraph his passes probably due to his lack of ball handling skills. When defenders are on Bridges the ball has the tendency to stop moving as he won’t put the ball on the floor. In the right system he could flourish as a spot up shooter on offense but we are talking about a role player at best, definitely not a star in the nba.

Now Knox and is the better overall prospect to both of the prospects you mentioned because of his star potential. At 18 years of age his weaknesses are typically of his age, short motor, defensive liability “sometimes” but has the physical tools to be a lockdown defender, Questionable decision making, needs to work on consistency,tends to settle for pull ups, losses his defenders in zone defensive schemes, lacks body control.

Positives at 18 he’s just scratched the surface of his potential. He’s shown the ability to take over games on both ends of the floor, great off the ball movement, has a great shooting form and touch. One of the best in the draft at creating his own shot and putting the ball on the floor, gets to the free throw line with ease, knows how to create contact and to get calls, Great in transition, deadly mid range game. Knows how to use his wingspan to shoot over defenders, can post up.

Knox is one of the most versatile prospects in the draft has the tools to become a superstar in this league.

I give the Knicks a A+++ for drafting this Kid who has a unknown Ceiling could be PG13 2.0

LivingLegend
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1645

6/23/2018  1:31 PM
I think I posted here a few months back that I thought Knox could end up being a big time scorer.

Watched virtually all UK games and you have to remember Cal gives these guys very specific roles and he is very strict what he will allow his team to do. Knox was a kid who grew up with the ball in his hands and ultimately to his benefit Cal forced him into an off ball role at UK. Knox learned to move off the ball, catch and shoot, space and work off/around screens to find his spots.

Knox (especially for a 6’9” + player) is VERY versatile scoring the ball...he can catch shoot from distance, can 1,2 dribble into mid range jump shots, has a beautiful floater and he can get all the way to the rim....he’s also a smooth finisher out on the break.

Defensively he needs work..but if you watch say the McDonalds game...all these top kids have poor defensive fundamentals (Fiz will need to get him in elite shape and teach him concepts). I think he will rebound better as he matures and gets stronger.

He is also right hand dominant offensively and his handle is loose BUT Fizdale noted that his handle was the one thing that really stood out in his workout.

I see this kid maturing into a big time offensive player...one who will also mature off the dribble and with his passing.

Also...love all of his interviews so far....very smooth in front of camera.

Love the pick

With the ninth pick, the NY Knicks select Kevin Knox

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy