[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The ULTIMATE KNICKS DRAFT PARTY! (2018 Draft Night Thread)
Author Thread
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

6/22/2018  12:10 AM
Uptown wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
meloshouldgo wrote:Another dimwit

My thoughts exactly. Never though I'd say this but maybe Phil Jackson was the one actually making our draft picks. There is definitely a different feel to what we're doing this year and I do not mean in a good way.

It was the 36th pick in the draft. The second round is all a crap shoot as most of these players wont be in the league in 3 years....Did you want the Knicks to make a safe pick at 36?

When it comes to the draft, I always ask myself "if a player isn't taken at a certain spot, how far would he fall?". When I look at a guy like Mitchell, I can't help but get the feeling that the answer would be "somewhere in the 50s or goes undrafted". With the game getting smaller and the glut of pivots in the league, I can't see this guy offering much value even if he achieves his best case scenario (big off the bench). So why bother even drafting him at all?

I get the feeling he's nothing more than yet another Jeremy Tyler.

AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
6/22/2018  12:13 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
Uptown wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Never though I'd say this but maybe Phil Jackson was the one actually making our draft picks. There is definitely a different feel to what we're doing this year and I do not mean in a good way.

It was the 36th pick in the draft. The second round is all a crap shoot as most of these players wont be in the league in 3 years....Did you want the Knicks to make a safe pick at 36?

When it comes to the draft, I always ask myself "if a player isn't taken at a certain spot, how far would he fall?". When I look at a guy like Mitchell, I can't help but get the feeling that the answer would be "somewhere in the 50s or goes undrafted". With the game getting smaller and the glut of pivots in the league, I can't see this guy offering much value even if he achieves his best case scenario (big off the bench). So why bother even drafting him at all?

The front office we have

The pick completes the Carmelo Anthony trade as they obtained the second-round pick in the trade. The Knicks met with Robinson but never worked him out.

ridiculous

ES
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
6/22/2018  12:16 AM

This is a dimwit post. Coming out of high school he was a top ten talent. Most guys taken in the second round don't have a career in the NBA. Who had so much more talent at 36?
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
NardDogNation

6/22/2018  12:17 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/22/2018  12:21 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

Couldn't disagree more. The first round pick wasn't chosen based on just an interview and tape. The coach was involved in the decision. The player chosen had amazing workouts reported by multiple scouts and the coach loved him. The second round pick was a lottery talent with warts. In the second round you take chances. Robinson has a lot of upside.

I think the rules in the second round, are the same as in the first. You draft for value and I don't see the value in this prototype of player. Because at the end of the day, centers could be had for cheap so if I'm going to gamble on a project, it will be on a swingman. If none caught our fancy, then we should have punted on the pick and tried to recoup as many quality, future assets as possible. But this doesn't make sense to me.

If we had passed on Mitchell, what other team did you see drafting him?

NardDogNation

6/22/2018  12:19 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

This is a dimwit post. Coming out of high school he was a top ten talent. Most guys taken in the second round don't have a career in the NBA. Who had so much more talent at 36?

So was Jeremy Tyler if I recall and several athletic big men that "only needed the right coach". I know the chances of finding a mainstay in the second round are slim but this prototype of player seems to almost always fail (DeAndre Jordan excluded).

CrushAlot
USA
6/22/2018  12:21 AM
Knicks are signing Alonzo Trier
CrushAlot
USA
6/22/2018  12:23 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

Couldn't disagree more. The first round pick wasn't chosen based on just an interview and tape. The coach was involved in the decision. The player chosen had amazing workouts reported by multiple scouts and the coach loved him. The second round pick was a lottery talent with warts. In the second round you take chances. Robinson has a lot of upside.

I think the rules in the second round, are the same as in the first. You draft for value and I don't see the value in this prototype of player. Because at the end of the day, centers could be had for cheap so if I'm going to gamble on a project, it will be on a swingman. If none caught our fancy, then we should have punted on the pick and tried to recoup as many quality, future assets as possible. But this doesn't make sense to me.

If we had passed on Mitchell, what other team did you see drafting him?

REports were the Lakers wanted him at 25 or 39. 39th pick reportedly was acquired to draft him.
CrushAlot
USA
6/22/2018  12:27 AM
NardDogNation wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

So was Jeremy Tyler if I recall and several athletic big men that "only needed the right coach". I know the chances of finding a mainstay in the second round are slim but this prototype of player seems to almost always fail (DeAndre Jordan excluded).

Thatis a great comparison. Do you go Andy RAutins or Tyler/Robinson in the second round?
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
6/22/2018  12:55 AM
Dallas drafted a wing that plays like a PG, then 2 more PGs in the 2nd round, after drafting a PG in last years lotto.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
6/22/2018  3:11 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Uptown wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

The front office we have

The pick completes the Carmelo Anthony trade as they obtained the second-round pick in the trade. The Knicks met with Robinson but never worked him out.

ridiculous

This is a great draft from the upside perspective. This Knicks Brain Trust has been right on point. They had a vision and have executed that vision. Knox had the most upside of all the Wings. Mitchell Robinson has 1st Rd talent but a strange path. The idea is that this Front Office has belief in their ability to DEVELOP young men. I think they have the right program and support to be successful.

We have a top flight scouting department too. So I see no reason to assume the Knicks haven’t been thorough and professional as they have shown in recent Drafts. Nothing ridiculous about this.

smackeddog
Member: #883
6/22/2018  4:19 AM
I don't get the sixers /sun's trade for either team really, seems cold blooded by the sixers too! Poor Mikal - snubbed by the Knicks then screwed over by his mom's team!
smackeddog
6/22/2018  4:25 AM
Nbadraft.Net did a great job predicting the order this year
smackeddog
6/22/2018  5:10 AM
Man, this is just cold:

meloshouldgo
Member: #5801

6/22/2018  6:29 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/22/2018  6:32 AM
CrushAlot wrote:

The term dimwit refers to the players IQ, not his talent level. He wasn't even smart enough to go to college.

I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only try to make them think - Socrates
smackeddog
6/22/2018  8:19 AM
Porter needs to fire his agent--the whole strategy completely backfired.
knicks1248
Member: #582
6/22/2018  8:29 AM
nixluva wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Uptown wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

The front office we have

ridiculous

This is a great draft from the upside perspective. This Knicks Brain Trust has been right on point. They had a vision and have executed that vision. Knox had the most upside of all the Wings. Mitchell Robinson has 1st Rd talent but a strange path. The idea is that this Front Office has belief in their ability to DEVELOP young men. I think they have the right program and support to be successful.

We have a top flight scouting department too
. So I see no reason to assume the Knicks haven’t been thorough and professional as they have shown in recent Drafts. Nothing ridiculous about this.

who are these top flight scouts, what proof do you have of that, who have they develop and turned into all stars, or even just rotational.

The knox pick was ok because they did their homework, but this 2nd round pick is a mystery to everybody, this kid has been tucked away in a basement somewhere, that doesn't sound like passion, desire and love for the game, that sounds like he is confused about the direction of his life.

ES
WP76
Member: #4508

6/22/2018  10:22 AM
I actually like the pick at #36. There are certainly no guarantees at that spot so why not go for a guy with a huge upside? Crazy best case under Fiz, he matures and becomes "Greek Freak Lite" in two or three years. Maybe he develops into Tyson Chandler. Worst case, he's bagging groceries someplace next December and the Knicks have a completely wasted draft pick. It's not like we're not the poster child for those.

This is exactly the scenario for which we hired Fiz, to reach and polish players who haven't scratched the surface of their potential. It's obviously up to Robinson to recognize and maximize this tremendous opportunity. Robinson may well be incapable of doing that; there's nothing in his history to indicate otherwise.

However, for us fans, draft day is Christmas and if I want to think a lump of coal is really a pony, that's my prerogative. 8^)

Chandler
Member: #6197

6/22/2018  11:05 AM
As a fan I'll cheer all our picks but skeptical on Robinson. The second rounders who have excelled seem to be in the opposite direction. Guys who are too short or too slow and then prove people wrong

We're due!!!

(5)(5)
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/22/2018  12:36 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
Uptown wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

There were other guys drafted below I would've ather taken a chance on, but can't knock the pick too much...yet. We did need young big men and he's young enough that you hope all the bad habits can be coached out of him. Still, I wished we snagged Vanderbilt, Kuruks, Vince Edwards, Diallo, bates-diop, Hervey and baby Greek Freak. But all we can do now is wait and see.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
smackeddog
6/22/2018  1:03 PM
Alan hahn said on his radio show last night, that last year there was a big divide in the Knicks between a lot of the Knicks scouts and front office people who wanted to draft Donovan Mitchell and a few (Gaines) who insisted on Frank. Phil went with Gaines.

I still have hope for Frank so I'm not too upset (plus I'm not convinced Mitchell on our team would have progressed as well as he did with the jazz) , but I found it interesting.

The ULTIMATE KNICKS DRAFT PARTY! (2018 Draft Night Thread)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy