[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

What Can We Get for Kyle O'Quinn via Sign-and-Trade?
Author Thread
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
6/17/2018  5:42 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
reub wrote:O'Quinn will be a Knick this year. He and Kanter will make a combined 200 threes for us too.

You say that as if it's a good thing. Both should be traded for picks, if possible.

Teams aren't giving up picks for second string centers.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/17/2018  7:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2018  7:07 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:This does not fit in with the philosophy of prioritizing youth that Perry and Mills have laid out. We are not trading two 25 year olds for a bunch of 30 somethings

So the concept of getting a high first round pick (15th of 30), for players we are poised to lose anyway does not fit into the vision for a youth movement?

Of course it does but we are probably looking at a bad contract coming back. It wouldnt be about Oquinn its about dumping a contract on the Knicks

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/17/2018  7:06 PM
ccinflushing wrote:I mean from Washington's perspective, wouldn't it make more sense to keep the the #15 pick and draft Robert Williams or take a flyer on Lucas Nogueira for say $3Mn per year than to overpay O'Quinn?

Umm Yes, thats why most of these trades make no sense
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

6/20/2018  11:11 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
reub wrote:O'Quinn will be a Knick this year. He and Kanter will make a combined 200 threes for us too.

You say that as if it's a good thing. Both should be traded for picks, if possible.

I think O'Quinn's two way ability (and ability to switch) allows him to be a starter in this league. He may be prone to brain-farts but he is a good player. The right coach would make him worthwhile.

But more importantly, the deal isn't just about the player; it's also about saving the Wizards several million in the immediate and distant future.

NardDogNation

6/20/2018  11:11 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:
Cartman718 wrote:This does not fit in with the philosophy of prioritizing youth that Perry and Mills have laid out. We are not trading two 25 year olds for a bunch of 30 somethings

So the concept of getting a high first round pick (15th of 30), for players we are poised to lose anyway does not fit into the vision for a youth movement?

Of course it does but we are probably looking at a bad contract coming back. It wouldnt be about Oquinn its about dumping a contract on the Knicks

Well...what do you regard Ian Mahinmi as?

NardDogNation

6/20/2018  11:47 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/20/2018  11:48 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

For the sake of pure discussion, it's interesting, you are trying to think outside the box, which is commendable, but ccinflushing is right, it doesn't add up cleanly for the Wizards.

If they want to dump salary, they are going to try first to dump those expirings on teams with pure open cap space, not many left, but that's going to be their first move.

As for "frontloading", it only works to a certain AAV and with a certain level of a player's tenure , uninterrupted, with the same franchise. Nick Collison has played with the Thunder pretty much forever. The total AAV breakdown average across the contract length was low enough to frontload. It's based on a percentage against the total projected cap. The reason for the limits is to prevent teams from manipulating the salary floor one season then trying to avoid the triggering the luxury tax or project to avoid the future repeater tax.

I.E. the Lakers are clearly going to be major players in Free Agency this season and likely would go in the tax zone very soon. Unchecked frontloading could allow them to delay the formula into the projected down the road repeater tax by a season or two. That's pretty impactful.

The Wizards have a decent amount of salary coming off the books after this year. Not a ton against the whole, but they have enough expirings to actually open up some other dumping options. The larger issue for them is dumping John Wall. If you want to push a John Wall to the Knicks angle, that's actually more practical for them and more likely (I did not say it would be a good deal for the Knicks though)

The dumping of those expiring contracts will still require assets. And the dumping/replacing of Ian Mahinmi's money will require other assets of even greater value. Should they achieve those ends, what tools would they be left with to actually improve their team for this upcoming season?

I think we're overvaluing their assets/position and underestimating our own in this context. As you intimated, there are very few teams with cap space and a surplus of team's looking to dump salary to avoid luxury tax implications. And with teams like the Nuggets reportedly offering the 14th and Kenneth Faried for cap flexibility and other minor assets, I don't think that asking for the 15th pick is unreasonable if we're taking on the oft-injuried Ian Mahinimi for multiple seasons. O'Quinn might not be an option but maybe Enes Kanter's expiring contract can be.

P.S., I have a bad feeling that the Knicks will inevitably get involved in the John Wall sweepstakes. I felt that ever since he signed that ridiculous contract extension. It will be the Gilbert Arenas situation all over again.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/20/2018  12:18 PM
NardDogNation wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

I think O'Quinn's two way ability (and ability to switch) allows him to be a starter in this league. He may be prone to brain-farts but he is a good player. The right coach would make him worthwhile.

But more importantly, the deal isn't just about the player; it's also about saving the Wizards several million in the immediate and distant future.

KOQ does not have the ability to switch on to guards or wing players. He sits in the lane and waves at them when they go by. Can't guard at the 3pt line either.

He is very good at protecting the rim when guards do get there.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
What Can We Get for Kyle O'Quinn via Sign-and-Trade?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy