[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

12 month turnaround. Back to contention
Author Thread
ankurk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6075

6/13/2018  6:05 PM
Please let me know how you guys feel about this:

I truly think the knicks need to do all they can to move up to a top 3 position to draft doncic with the exception of next years pick. Trade away 2020,2022 and our 9... trade tim. Just keep frank.

With frank continuing to grow and becoming a defensive nightmare for opposing guards we must keep him as our 6’8 combo guard. Watching how Shaun Livingston towers over other point guards - I think this is what we can see frank become at minimum.

In drafting doncic or even porter jr we fill a position of need and give a young prospect the time to grow on a team that is destined for the lottery again next year with porzingis out. This will give frank and our new top pick time to figure out the nba and no reason to rush porzingis back until fully healthy. A tank season with retaining our 2019 draft pick sets us up beautifully for the future.

In the summer of 2019 with kanter off the books we look to bring kyrie home - a player who’s been waiting to be king and the main star of a team. He will be 28 by then and ready to be the unauestioned leader and veteran of a young team in the biggest market in the world.

How I envision this -
Kyrie, Frank, Doncic/MPJ, KP/FA, KP/FA

Now we can either draft another stud with our tank season 2019 pick or trade that draft pick for a star veteran big to immediately thrust us back into contention for a major run.

This is not a super long term plan. Just 12 months to turn our franchise around.

I welcome all comments and thoughts.

AUTOADVERT
ekstarks94
Member: #6104

6/13/2018  11:33 PM
ankurk wrote:Please let me know how you guys feel about this:

I truly think the knicks need to do all they can to move up to a top 3 position to draft doncic with the exception of next years pick. Trade away 2020,2022 and our 9... trade tim. Just keep frank.

With frank continuing to grow and becoming a defensive nightmare for opposing guards we must keep him as our 6’8 combo guard. Watching how Shaun Livingston towers over other point guards - I think this is what we can see frank become at minimum.

In drafting doncic or even porter jr we fill a position of need and give a young prospect the time to grow on a team that is destined for the lottery again next year with porzingis out. This will give frank and our new top pick time to figure out the nba and no reason to rush porzingis back until fully healthy. A tank season with retaining our 2019 draft pick sets us up beautifully for the future.

In the summer of 2019 with kanter off the books we look to bring kyrie home - a player who’s been waiting to be king and the main star of a team. He will be 28 by then and ready to be the unauestioned leader and veteran of a young team in the biggest market in the world.

How I envision this -
Kyrie, Frank, Doncic/MPJ, KP/FA, KP/FA

Now we can either draft another stud with our tank season 2019 pick or trade that draft pick for a star veteran big to immediately thrust us back into contention for a major run.

This is not a super long term plan. Just 12 months to turn our franchise around.

I welcome all comments and thoughts.

I read something about the value for next years pick and 2020 pick has more inherent value now than when the team actually picks because KP would be out...if we are moving top 3 it has to be for a stud...Doncic is interesting and I like Porter but feel you can get him later....

TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

6/14/2018  4:45 AM

The "swing pick" in this draft is the 2nd overall pick, where Doncic or Bagley could both be seen, right now, as possible choices.

The current CBA started it's clock last season and has an opt out ( which will likely be taken) after 5 seasons from there. Under the "Cost Certainty" principle, NBA teams do not want or like to trade so far ahead that it outstrips the timeline of the current CBA ( they do not know how cost control will change in that timeline, also rookie slotting is taking a pretty big bump, progressively the cost structure is going up 45 percent total, with a smoothing format over the next few seasons)

The Knicks in any trade like this, in theory, would want pick protections of some kind. Pick protections can only work for so long. A trade with a pick means the pick or it's value structure must be conveyed within three seasons. Meaning pick protections have to, by their nature, become progressively weaker for the team trading it off. You can't protect a pick forever. You can't make a trade where the pick is so protected that it simply never confers. The rate of pick protection would extend past the current CBA, making the trade undesirable.

To add "value" to the trade, the non Knicks team would want first round pick flip options (How did that work out for Brooklyn and the Celtics?) implied in the every other year scenario to abide by the Stepien Rule.

I've said this before, the nominal accepted timeline for a practical NBA rebuild from the ground up is about 5-7 years. Your trade proposal, unless someone like Doncic ends up a true Hall Of Fame caliber player, a top 3 player in the league for a decade or more, would gut this team for a decade, likely longer.

The more you like Doncic, the more it's implied that the team in the 2nd slot, the Kings, have no incentive to trade it out. If he's everything you think he could be, why would they trade him? Why would they think any different?

Would you bet the next 10 years of the Knicks future on Doncic? More to point, would the Kings and Knicks front offices survive without being fired if they made this kind of trade? Real NBA GMs don't make moves that dramatically increase their chances of getting fired.

Your idea makes sense in terms of when the Warriors traded for Igoudala. In their situation and timeline, giving up multiple picks to dump contracts and carve space for one player makes some sense.

There is no quick fix here. Every NBA rebuild is just a slow painful grind.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/14/2018  6:00 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

The "swing pick" in this draft is the 2nd overall pick, where Doncic or Bagley could both be seen, right now, as possible choices.

The current CBA started it's clock last season and has an opt out ( which will likely be taken) after 5 seasons from there. Under the "Cost Certainty" principle, NBA teams do not want or like to trade so far ahead that it outstrips the timeline of the current CBA ( they do not know how cost control will change in that timeline, also rookie slotting is taking a pretty big bump, progressively the cost structure is going up 45 percent total, with a smoothing format over the next few seasons)

The Knicks in any trade like this, in theory, would want pick protections of some kind. Pick protections can only work for so long. A trade with a pick means the pick or it's value structure must be conveyed within three seasons. Meaning pick protections have to, by their nature, become progressively weaker for the team trading it off. You can't protect a pick forever. You can't make a trade where the pick is so protected that it simply never confers. The rate of pick protection would extend past the current CBA, making the trade undesirable.

To add "value" to the trade, the non Knicks team would want first round pick flip options (How did that work out for Brooklyn and the Celtics?) implied in the every other year scenario to abide by the Stepien Rule.

I've said this before, the nominal accepted timeline for a practical NBA rebuild from the ground up is about 5-7 years. Your trade proposal, unless someone like Doncic ends up a true Hall Of Fame caliber player, a top 3 player in the league for a decade or more, would gut this team for a decade, likely longer.

The more you like Doncic, the more it's implied that the team in the 2nd slot, the Kings, have no incentive to trade it out. If he's everything you think he could be, why would they trade him? Why would they think any different?

Would you bet the next 10 years of the Knicks future on Doncic? More to point, would the Kings and Knicks front offices survive without being fired if they made this kind of trade? Real NBA GMs don't make moves that dramatically increase their chances of getting fired.

Your idea makes sense in terms of when the Warriors traded for Igoudala. In their situation and timeline, giving up multiple picks to dump contracts and carve space for one player makes some sense.

Especially to pick Michael Porter jr, could you imagine if he isn't healthy and Porzingis leaves. Just stay the course and stay flexible, no more stupid Hardaway jr contracts
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

6/14/2018  6:52 AM
Jmpasq wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Especially to pick Michael Porter jr, could you imagine if he isn't healthy and Porzingis leaves. Just stay the course and stay flexible, no more stupid Hardaway jr contracts
Porzingis isnt leaving...he isnt a free agent
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/14/2018  6:56 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Porzingis isnt leaving...he isnt a free agent

not this year, the OP is trading picks through 2022
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
ankurk
Member: #6075

6/14/2018  8:30 AM
To add, it doesn’t particularly have to be doncic or porter. Anyone in the top 5 including Bamba bagley and Jackson would help his plan. Say it’s moving up for Jackson or Bamba and giving them a year to grow.

If the top 3 are Ayton doncic bagley that still leaves us with either Bamba or Jackson available at 5 - perhaps a trade that would require less from us to move up. If it’s memphis at 4 wanting to make another run do they take Tim/9/and our 2020 first for parsons and 4?

In that scenario if doncic or bagley fall you take them the same we we got porzingis at 4. If not take your pick from Bamba/Jackson and bring on a full tank for 2019.

Yes you’ll have a second useless player to sit alongside Noah until 2020 but it also means you have two large expiring contracts that can possibly be traded away. 🤔

Moonangie
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #2788

6/14/2018  9:07 AM
TripleThreat wrote:

Let sanity prevail! Slow and steady wins the race. The 12-month "turnaround" would have us spinning in circles, back on the merry-go-round of arehashed strategy that leads to mediocrity, or oblivion.

No quick fixes. Just a slow march, a little luck, and lots of grit. We'll get there one day. Even Cleveland did...eventually.

12 month turnaround. Back to contention

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy