What About Knox?
Author Thread
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
6/16/2018  7:44 AM
(Slips in all inconspicuous-like)

So, I'd say for the Knicks, where there's a general lack of talent, the age-old strategy of "best player available" suits here. The Knicks need to increase the overall talent of their top rotation players. I don't believe Knox will be the best player available at 9, so it may be a poor choice to take him at that slot.

AUTOADVERT
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/16/2018  11:22 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/16/2018  11:24 AM
There is a good article on P&T about Knox on the front page. When we hear the details of what Perry/Mills think of a potential pick, you hope its not Walsh all over again, as others have brought up.

The clip on the bottom of page 1, started watching at the 3 minute mark. Nice handle for a big, and using it effectively to get through traffic. Almost like a checkers move,lol.

Would be another big who knows how to play small, like KP. We get enough of that type of player on the roster, and teams are going to have a hard time matching up.

Dont know about Knox's D. If its decent, I wouldnt have a problem with Knox being selected, based on this limited info. Also depends who is available at 9. Would rather draft Knox than Mikal Bridges, or Porter jr.

Paris907
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6099
USA
6/16/2018  12:01 PM
Very impressive. I like him - he has it all and length but his youth will require two years of nba seasoning before he lights up the league. He’s young and has energy issues and will get bigger. He could end up a 3 or 4.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/16/2018  12:25 PM
GustavBahler wrote:There is a good article on P&T about Knox on the front page. When we hear the details of what Perry/Mills think of a potential pick, you hope its not Walsh all over again, as others have brought up.

The clip on the bottom of page 1, started watching at the 3 minute mark. Nice handle for a big, and using it effectively to get through traffic. Almost like a checkers move,lol.

Would be another big who knows how to play small, like KP. We get enough of that type of player on the roster, and teams are going to have a hard time matching up.

Dont know about Knox's D. If its decent, I wouldnt have a problem with Knox being selected, based on this limited info. Also depends who is available at 9. Would rather draft Knox than Mikal Bridges, or Porter jr.

I agree with all of your points. I do like Miles at 9 but the front office has been thorough and had Knox and Miles go against each other in their workout.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/16/2018  1:01 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:There is a good article on P&T about Knox on the front page. When we hear the details of what Perry/Mills think of a potential pick, you hope its not Walsh all over again, as others have brought up.

I agree with all of your points. I do like Miles at 9 but the front office has been thorough and had Knox and Miles go against each other in their workout.

My main concern with Knox is that he is built to look good in a workout. The knocks against him come more from being in a team setting. Like lack of motor and loses focus if he isn't the feature. Does he have the quickness to guard the perimeter or is he best as a PF. For his size and length his 5 rebounds per game is pretty trash. And he offered limited defensive stats.

If he is just gonna provide points and little of anything else then he isn't what we need. We need a guy that gets after all the little things away from the ball with a high motor. Who also has potential offensively.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

6/16/2018  1:16 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

My main concern with Knox is that he is built to look good in a workout. The knocks against him come more from being in a team setting. Like lack of motor and loses focus if he isn't the feature. Does he have the quickness to guard the perimeter or is he best as a PF. For his size and length his 5 rebounds per game is pretty trash. And he offered limited defensive stats.

If he is just gonna provide points and little of anything else then he isn't what we need. We need a guy that gets after all the little things away from the ball with a high motor. Who also has potential offensively.

Knox is 18, looks like he's still growing. Looks like he could be a front line player, who can also play the perimeter.

Between his Dad's influence, and being in a blue chip program, where you're expected to make a splash right off the bat. Playing in the pros might be somewhat liberating. Give him a chance to be more of his own man.

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

6/16/2018  2:08 PM
Its a tricky decision. Both knox and bridges should be available and i like both. Bridges may be the safer bet but his ceiling may not be as high given his age. Similar to frank knox is one of the youngest prospects and may be better longterm. Either way at 9 we are gonna get a good prospect.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/16/2018  2:21 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

Knox is 18, looks like he's still growing. Looks like he could be a front line player, who can also play the perimeter.

Between his Dad's influence, and being in a blue chip program, where you're expected to make a splash right off the bat. Playing in the pros might be somewhat liberating. Give him a chance to be more of his own man.

Now the question is. If he is a front line player, does he now force KP to have to play center full time in order to work defensively? Or does he offer the flexibility to allow KP to slide to the 4? With him at the 3, while we still maintaining good offensive pace, but also offering an overwhelming size and length advantage? If we are to contend in the future we need to be on that type of level. Where our lineup is imposing with size and length without having to sacrifice pace & space. Does he have the ability to guard centers himself down the road? Does he have the motor to be an effective front line player and do the dirty work? KP will get volume as a go to scorer. Would that take away from Knox effectiveness? As a lot of his buckets playing with KP will have to come from hustle like Kanter offers.

KP also isn't a great passer at this point in his career. Can Knox offer that ability to allow himself to be more of a feature with KP being more of a finisher? As we can't have 2 front court players who aren't good passers getting majority of the touches. But would we be forced to have to feed Knox to make him effective? Draymond and Durants guard like abilities are devastating from the forward/Big spots as they combine for over 10 ast per game.

Also ideally in a dream scenario. KP & Knox would emulate Ben Wallace and Sheed Wallace defensively. KP being an elite rim protector and Knox being an beast man-man defender. Covering ground all over the court. With both of them offering spacing and ability to put the ball on the floor. With the ability to go even bigger if Fizz wanted to with Knox at the 3, KP at the 4, and another big man for a devastating rotation option. Especially with a 6'5 7ft wing space G with #1 PNR defense ability.

Knox clearly has the raw measurements and athletic tools to accomplish all of this. Would be putting a ton of pressure on Fizz to get him to reach that level of production. And would also probably be a few seasons away from realizing all that he could bring. But if he was able to offer the things mentioned above. To go along with Franks similar potential on the perimeter and of course KP's unicorn traits.

Then the Knicks would be in business.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
reub
Member: #6227

6/16/2018  3:43 PM
I wouldn't be disappointed if we took Knox but I'm hoping that Carter falls to us.
fwk00
Member: #6048

6/16/2018  3:47 PM
If its a choice of Porter or Knox, I think you roll with Knox.
ccinflushing
Member: #6061

6/16/2018  5:00 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/16/2018  5:10 PM
If Knox is our guy, I wouldn't be surprised if we traded pick #9 to the Sixers for #10 and #26 and used #10 on Knox.

There are a number of reasons why I think this could happen:

1. Sixers have 6 drafts picks in this draft - don't really have that many roster slots available
2. As they've already maxed out on receivable cash for 2017-18, they can only realistically sell one or two of their draft picks ($5.2Mn max cash receivable can realistically get you picks #38 and #56) and complete this transaction in early July after agreeing to the trade in principle
3. They may have a strong preference for Mikal or Miles and want to pre-empt the Knicks choosing those players
4. Trading #10 and #26 for #9 is fairish value based on historical precedence. It also saves them about $0.9Mn in cap space.
5. The international draft and stash pool this year is pretty poor

Anyway take that for what it's worth even if you don't take that for data!

ccinflushing

6/16/2018  5:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/16/2018  5:25 PM
I also think a trade of #9 for #10, #38 and #39 would be acceptable to both parties.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/16/2018  9:51 PM
StarksEwing1 wrote:Its a tricky decision. Both knox and bridges should be available and i like both. Bridges may be the safer bet but his ceiling may not be as high given his age. Similar to frank knox is one of the youngest prospects and may be better longterm. Either way at 9 we are gonna get a good prospect.

Just a clip I posted on another thread...Anyone know any specifics on why they liked Knox so much?

Some members of the Knicks organization came away ‘very impressed’ by Kentucky’s Kevin Knox after his performance in workout with the team last Saturday, per league sources. Knox worked out with a group that included Michigan State’s Miles Bridges. Knox and Bridges competed against one another in the workout, per sources. After the workout, members of the organization club inquired about Knox’s remaining workouts, asking if he had any workouts with teams drafting ahead of New York. That’s standard for the draft process, but perhaps indicates the club’s level of interest in drafting Knox. Knox is currently projected to be drafted at No. 9 by the Knicks in ESPN’s latest mock draft.
EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
6/17/2018  12:13 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2018  12:20 AM
I want high energy, determined and focused players. I didn't get that from watching the Knox videos. He participates, but does not initiate. I'd be pretty happy if we got either Bridges, and I'm now starting to lean towards Miles Bridges over Mikal due to the energy he brings. I also still like Kevin Huerter.
Rose is not the answer.
ccinflushing

6/17/2018  2:15 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2018  3:39 AM
Part of the problem in assessing Knox versus the Bridges is the difference in their ages and their ecosystems. Knox for sure had a better freshman season than Mikal, although Miles was better than both. Miles and Mikal both had more seasoned teammates which allowed them to have more defined roles and possibly be more efficient and look better. Kentucky is always full of one and dones and I'm sure continuity helps a player. Villanova was an ideal environment for Mikal to develop. Miles had a situation somewhere in the middle.

These guys all have their pros and cons. Mikal has a great understanding of his role in a team context. We know he's a worker and he's probably the best 3p shooter of the 3. Miles is the best rebounder of the 3, and he's pretty solid in all areas. His defense surprised me in that his perimeter D was good (he moves his feet well but doesn't really bother shots due to his length) and his post D was disappointing (for such a strong dude he gets backed down and overpowered more often than I would like). Kevin is good shooter and transition player and when locked in solid defensively but loses his man on defense often than I would like.

When I started looking at these guys for our draft slot earlier this year, I didn't really have a strong preference for any one of these players. I was more comfortable drafting Mikal but then he's less of a mystery. A Knox selection would fit into the Knick's recent modus operandi of selecting the highest reward player a la KP and Frank. If they're confident in their ability to develop Knox and in his mental make-up, then I won't have much of an issue with the pick.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

6/17/2018  12:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2018  12:29 PM
fwk00 wrote:If its a choice of Porter or Knox, I think you roll with Knox.

I'd definitely go with Porter. Much higher upside and their games are pretty similar.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/17/2018  1:23 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
fwk00 wrote:If its a choice of Porter or Knox, I think you roll with Knox.

I'd definitely go with Porter. Much higher upside and their games are pretty similar.

Back issue aside...I really would have liked to see Porter playing for the entire season in Division 1 ball...

He measured 6'9.5" WITHOUT shoes at the combine in 2018...Measured 6'7.5" w/o shoes in 2014. Means he was playing in HS (and growing) at a height which would have allowed him to get away with things he might not have been able to do in college against stronger/taller opponents.

This, in itself, even without considering the back issue, makes it harder to judge him as a future NBA player, IMO. Means you are essentially taking him based on his HS play and potential. (Has he even worked out against other players in any team workouts? Doubt it.)

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
reub
Member: #6227

6/17/2018  2:14 PM
I would be happy with Knox and his teammate Jarred Vanderbilt in the 2nd round.
But if Porter is there, and we have checked him out medically, he has to be our guy.
ccinflushing

6/17/2018  2:17 PM
ccinflushing

6/17/2018  2:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/17/2018  2:36 PM
ccinflushing wrote:If Knox is our guy, I wouldn't be surprised if we traded pick #9 to the Sixers for #10 and #26 and used #10 on Knox.

There are a number of reasons why I think this could happen:

1. Sixers have 6 drafts picks in this draft - don't really have that many roster slots available
2. As they've already maxed out on receivable cash for 2017-18, they can only realistically sell one or two of their draft picks ($5.2Mn max cash receivable can realistically get you picks #38 and #56) and complete this transaction in early July after agreeing to the trade in principle
3. They may have a strong preference for Mikal or Miles and want to pre-empt the Knicks choosing those players
4. Trading #10 and #26 for #9 is fairish value based on historical precedence. It also saves them about $0.9Mn in cap space. (Note: actual saving is $1.5MM as they would already have 12 roster slots accounted for)
5. The international draft and stash pool this year is pretty poor

Anyway take that for what it's worth even if you don't take that for data!

Good article from Keith Pompey of the Philly Inquirer laying out the different options for the Sixers

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/sixers-nba-draft-76ers-kawhi-leonard-mikal-bridges-trade-rumors-76ers-brett-brown-20180616.html

What About Knox?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy