[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Quiet draft prospect who stayed in draft(must have top 20 promise) looks like Klay Thompson--Kevin Huerter
Author Thread
dgKnicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3164

6/7/2018  7:43 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
dgKnicks wrote:Maryland alum here. Huerter is by far my favorite Terps players since Grievis Vasquez. The struggles of the team last year have absolutely nothing to do with Kevin. Our coach is awful and did not run enough plays looking to get him shots. He is very unselfish even to a fault. Kevin is a great shooter, very high iq on both sides of the court, great passing vision, and really added driving ability to his game as a sophomore.

I have made the comparison to Klay also in terms of size, shooting ability, and type of player I think He can become. I will admit that I was surprised he scored so highly in the combine athletic testing. I knew he would do decently and surprise people given his appearance, but still surprised he was near the top in a number of categories.

I’m still not over the fact he won’t suit up for Maryland as a junior, but would be excited if Knicks took him. If not whoever does take him will be my new second favorite team.

I hate Maryland. Can't wipe that ACC stench of them lol just kidding. But seriously, what do you think of Justin Jackson in the second round. I'm more interested in his measurements than his game right now. Do you think he's worth a gamble at 36 or is rookie free agency the best bet.

I don’t see Justin Jackson making it in the league. I get that he has the size, length, and looks of a player. He’s a decent rebounder but I never saw him as a plus defender his freshman year. He can’t dribble or create his own shot, and his 3 pt % his freshman year of 43% seemed like a fluke. No guarantees no matter who you take in second round but I think there are probably better options in the 30’s.

AUTOADVERT
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/7/2018  9:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/7/2018  9:24 PM

Not for nothing...but I think Huerter reminds me of Doncic in some ways...And skin color has nothing to do with it.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/8/2018  3:02 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:

Not for nothing...but I think Huerter reminds me of Doncic in some ways...And skin color has nothing to do with it.

I took him for the Knicks at 9 over CArter. Tough choice but the game is different. Bigs are like running backs in football now

RIP Crushalot😞
reub
Member: #6227

6/8/2018  6:06 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

I took him for the Knicks at 9 over CArter. Tough choice but the game is different. Bigs are like running backs in football now

Wow on Huerter's offense!
Can he play defense and rebound?

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

6/8/2018  10:37 PM
reub wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:
WaltLongmire wrote:

Wow on Huerter's offense!
Can he play defense and rebound?

One of the videos I saw (not sure it was this one) showed him with some good lateral movement as a defender.

Not sure what his final position is...or whether he can defend at the 2. His is over 6'7" with shoes on, so I would think that he could play at SF with some added strength.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
6/9/2018  1:00 PM
STRENGTHS
Elite 3-point shooting threat with ability to hit off curls, pindowns, and particularly backward momentum. Squares his feet to hoop and gets ball out in a hurry. Compact release with repeatable finish and little input. One of the draft’s best mechanical shooters especially when considering shot diversity.
Plus lateral quickness at 6-foot-6 with ability to wall off the lane to prevent his man from getting past him. Frequently guarded 1s and 2s and was able to stay in front of quicker players.
Surprisingly advanced handle for a pure shooter type with crossovers, stepbacks, and a spin move he uses frequently to get to his spots. Was tasked with creating offense frequently as 20% of his offensive possessions came as P&R ball handler or in isolation, per Synergy.
One-handed passing ability with both his right and his left to pair with plus vision and comfort passing over the top out of the pick and roll. 4.13 assists per 40 minutes pace-adjusted. Creative passer with vision.
Solid instincts as a cutter off the ball on offense. Can finish above the rim off two feet in space. Should be a dynamic off-ball player with the threat of his shot and his feel for weak points in the defense.
Not quite elite in terms of off-ball reactions on defense but does a good job of getting into position ahead of time and rotating down in help. Low steal rate but that can largely be chalked up to Maryland’s conservative scheme.
Decisive player who makes decisions quickly and usually makes the right play. Good at finding the open teammate rather than forcing a shot. Knows how to draw in defenders before dumping to open dunker.
Very comfortable playing in the pick and roll as he can play off hang dribbles to shake his defenders and knows how to keep a defender on his back. Brings some solid secondary creation potential.
Picture-perfect form adds optimism that he could be a gravitational shooter down the line in addition to an off-movement threat and a secondary creator. Some reasons to be skeptical about his shot but mechanics are very sound.
High-efficiency finisher around the bucket. Doesn’t force bad shots and has solid craft. Shot 69% on non-dunk shots at the rim. Still, lack of elite explosiveness and strength caps upside as a finisher.
WEAKNESSES
Prone to getting sped up at times, can struggle to slow down and let the game come to him. Tendency to play anxiously. Leads to turnovers when he forces passes or gets antsy in traffic.
Lukewarm free throw shooting numbers temper optimism about his 3-point shot. 74.8 percent from the free throw line over 2 years at Maryland. However, it is worth noting he has attempted almost 3 times as many 3-pointers as free throws and is a career 39.4 percent 3-point shooter on 350 attempts.
Sometimes gets a bit lazy on defense, can go under screens against high-level shooters or lose track of his man off the ball. Has low margin for error due to average physical tools.
Short arms relative to height (6-foot-7.75 wingspan) make his contests less impactful on the perimeter. Forced to play up on guys, which he has feet to do, but leaves him more prone to getting burned.
Doesn’t have a great first step for creating offense. Dependent on dribble moves to break down defenses rather than initial burst. Will likely be more useful playing off ball screens and attacking closeouts than creating from a standstill.
Low free throw rate and mediocre rebounding numbers highlight concerns about his physicality. Seems like he has been working to add strength this offseason which should help, but needs to be more physical.
Out-of-control dribbler at times against pressure. 9 games with 4+ turnovers this past season. Shows flashes of creation but also needs to tighten handle in order to continue to carry handling responsibilities.
BOTTOM LINE
Huerter is the rare off-ball shooting and cutting threat who also has the necessary playmaking chops to play on the ball. Add in the fact that he has flashed the ability to defend across the perimeter with his quick feet and solid size for a 2-guard, and Huerter looks like a really appealing prospect. There are questions about how well his shot will translate despite its prettiness on tape as well as about his occasional timid approach to the game, but in terms of skills, few 19-year-olds have Huerter’s talent. His potentially gravitational shooting alone will earn him first-round looks, but the value he adds as an off-dribble creator and quick-footed defender really makes him stand out among a crowded group of wings in the 2018 draft.

— Jackson Hoy, 6.7.18

Kevin HuerterFollowKevin Huerter
KevinHuerterKevin Huerter7 Jun
How nice would it be to make that type of play look that easy

Reply on TwitterRetweet on Twitter1Like on Twitter113Twitter
Retweet on TwitterKevin Huerter RetweetedShen_BaseballShen Baseball5 Jun
Huge congratulations to Shen baseball alumni Bryan Warzek on getting drafted by the LA Dodgers today! @BWarzek #PlainsmanForLife https://t.co/Qyp8oEO3pY

Reply on TwitterRetweet on Twitter6Like on Twitter80Twitter
Load More...
ARTICLES

Scouting Reports: Kevin Huerter, Elie Okobo, Bruce Brown, Goga Bitadze
June 08, 2018

Kevin Huerter Huerter is the rare off-ball shooting and cutting threat who also has the necessary playmaking chops to play on the ball. Add in the fact that he has…

Ep. 58: Huerter, Okogie, Milton
June 04, 2018

Cole and I start by talking about a few of the notable prospects that recently made their decision to stay in the draft or return to school. Then we discuss…

Trying to Figure out Zhaire

https://www.thestepien.com/kevin-huerter/
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
blkexec
Member: #748
6/9/2018  1:35 PM
newyorker4ever wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

So what about him? IT's not like he's some sleeper or something since he's been a projected mid 1st round pick for quite a while now. I'd love to get him but not at #9. Maybe if we could get that Denver pick at #14 then i'd easily take him there. I don't think he makes it out of the mid 1st round.

If you take him at 14.....then u take him at 9.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/12/2018  6:15 PM
blkexec wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

So what about him? IT's not like he's some sleeper or something since he's been a projected mid 1st round pick for quite a while now. I'd love to get him but not at #9. Maybe if we could get that Denver pick at #14 then i'd easily take him there. I don't think he makes it out of the mid 1st round.

If you take him at 14.....then u take him at 9.

That’s actually a good point. If you absolutely love the kid over a bunch of other kids with a lot of question marks AND if Mikal is off the board, then I think it would be wise to consider taking him at 9. He has a super quick release, BTW.

It might also not hurt to see if you can trade down and grab the Clippers picks. I tend to not be a lover of trading down though.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Quiet draft prospect who stayed in draft(must have top 20 promise) looks like Klay Thompson--Kevin Huerter

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy